Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

My house has a bell!

the "Control panel" under it

(I haven't dared flip the switch there yet)

The KeY oPeRaTeD acrtivation

Brand

It's either an ancient burglar alarm or ancient fire alarm, I have no idea which and I have no idea if any of it is still live or active. Wanna flip that on switch though and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

My house has a bell!

Brand

It's either an ancient burglar alarm or ancient fire alarm, I have no idea which and I have no idea if any of it is still live or active. Wanna flip that on switch though and see what happens.

"Explosion proof" D:

Yeah flip da switch

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

a corded drill and masonry bit.

This is sort of my initial question. I can't figure out which bit will work with my drill and also accomplish what I need. Like, will this work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZHVD2XE?pf_rd_p=183f5289-9dc0-416f-942e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=4ZJZ3GHFZ7PGGTH56AHV

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My house has a bell!

Brand

It's all fun and games until you can't turn it off and it's wired outside of the house panel somehow...

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

That Works posted:

It's all fun and games until you can't turn it off and it's wired outside of the house panel somehow...

which is why I haven't flipped the switch.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Ok building code is legitimately important and useful and all, but legitimately

gently caress the California Green code.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

This is sort of my initial question. I can't figure out which bit will work with my drill and also accomplish what I need. Like, will this work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZHVD2XE?pf_rd_p=183f5289-9dc0-416f-942e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=4ZJZ3GHFZ7PGGTH56AHV

In principle any masonry bit will work, the only question is whether the end of the shank fits into your drill chuck. In your case, yes I don't see why not. A smooth shank bit would also work, but the reason that has the flat sides is to provide better grip for your chuck.

The only common type I know of that wouldn't work as intended would be SDS or SDS+ bits which require a special chuck (but are much more secure and thus better for powerful hammer drills).

My SDS+ drill has instructions to not use the hammer function if using a normal drill bit in a normal chuck because the way it's designed means it'll hammer itself to death, but I've had other smaller hammer drills that don't care. Check your drill manual to be sure.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've installed 2x safes 2x times each on a concrete slab with a normal "hammer" drill and a masonry bit. It sucks (especially when you hit rebar) but you can do it eventually.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

As you embark on this adventure do you know the estimated replacement cost of the structure you're about to repair? Just for those of us playing along at home. Also if you haven't read Kastein's thread you definitely should. Sadly the first several years of it don't have pictures anymore.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478212

Also before pictures are always accepted in advance.

10-15,000 dollars all said and done. The house is 80 percent structurally sound after my initial inspection. That's including stuff I don't necessarily need, like moving the front door.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

which is why I haven't flipped the switch.

I'm getting fire alarm blue balls over here, flip the drat switch!

Also, what are those red and white things above the switch and on the exterior panel? Little indicator lights?

(Maybe make a non-emergency call to your local fire department first to let them know? On the off chance it is connected via phone line or other method to some external location?)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Jaxyon posted:

Is there a place/thread for home solar panels?

Jaded Burnout posted:

This one, I'd say, for general discussion thereof.

Where do I even get into this stuff?

Plugging it into google get me an overwhelming amount of people who want to scam me.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If also love to learn how to roll my own solar but yeah... That's a big knowledge barrier to even find out if it's a thought worth entertaining.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
I would not attempt a first time DIY solar project unless you have some meaningful experience with electrical work and you're not planning on connecting it with the grid. If it's a small project for something like a standalone shed with some light bulbs+sockets then that's a bit more manageable, but the consequences for screwing up a full house project w/inverter and some sort of net metering setup are high, potentially much higher than the relatively cheap (and getting cheaper) cost of hiring a professional. One thing to remember for those who haven't priced these out before- if you're in the US the state + federal incentives can frequently cover the majority of the cost of installing the system.

-guy who has a 4kw system on his roof that was ~85% subsidized

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah solar seems harmless, but it's worth remembering that a system good enough to be useful for a home is no different than messing around with mains power.

On the subject of electricals, we were trying to figure out why the light in our second bedroom only intermittently worked, and figured out it only turns on if the master bedroom light is turned on. I suspect some fun things will be found when we get an electrician out to look at sorting that out.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'm not so much trying to install my own, as find out good info on people who can do it for me, and what agreements entail, etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

I would not attempt a first time DIY solar project unless you have some meaningful experience with electrical work and you're not planning on connecting it with the grid. If it's a small project for something like a standalone shed with some light bulbs+sockets then that's a bit more manageable, but the consequences for screwing up a full house project w/inverter and some sort of net metering setup are high, potentially much higher than the relatively cheap (and getting cheaper) cost of hiring a professional. One thing to remember for those who haven't priced these out before- if you're in the US the state + federal incentives can frequently cover the majority of the cost of installing the system.

-guy who has a 4kw system on his roof that was ~85% subsidized

Just FYI some of the federal tax credits are winding down. Your state may vary.

quote:

The federal ITC was originally established by the Energy Policy Act of 2005 and was set to expire at the end of 2007. A series of extensions pushed the expiration date back to the end of 2016, but experts believed that an additional five-year extension would bring the solar industry to its full maturity. Thanks to the spending bill that Congress passed in late December 2015, the tax credit is now available to homeowners in some form through 2021. Here are the specifics:

2016 – 2019: The tax credit remains at 30 percent of the cost of the system. This means that in 2017, you can still get a major discounted price for your solar panel system.
2020: Owners of new residential and commercial solar can deduct 26 percent of the cost of the system from their taxes.
2021: Owners of new residential and commercial solar can deduct 22 percent of the cost of the system from their taxes.
2022 onwards: Owners of new commercial solar energy systems can deduct 10 percent of the cost of the system from their taxes. There is no federal credit for residential solar energy systems.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Does anyone have dishwasher recommendations?
I'm currently looking at the Bosch 800 series. I wouldn't mind spending less if possible but I want something that will last.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 14, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm currently looking at the Bosch 800 series. I wouldn't mind spending less if possible but I want something that will last.

I'm happy with my Miele, but they're quite spendy.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
In my extremely limited experience, I thought the Miele didn't have heated drying. Possibly the same is true for Bosch.

I bought one of the more expensive Kenmore's a few years ago that I think is a rebranded GE model that I'm pretty happy with. I wouldn't buy anything from Sears again due to them being awful, bankrupt, and getting sold a lemon fridge, but the GE dishwasher seems solid.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have a dry-only or plate warmer mode that would come in handy for drying bottles I use to ferment/store home brew.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm amazed at how much better "whatever $500 buys" in dishwashers feels today versus 10 years ago.

The GE I installed when I moved in was almost all plastic and I could carry it above my head alone. The GE in the same price range a few months ago took two people to carry. The entire tub is steel, and the fit/finish is way nicer all around.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm currently looking at the Bosch 800 series.

Join us... Get the third rack. It seriously doubles the capacity of the dishwasher somehow. Beware the front button models, the buttons snap off every 5-7 years. Get the top buttons.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I'd actually suggest avoiding GE dishwashers based off my own experience. Bought a $550 model that at 13 months, right after the ridiculously short 1 year warranty expired, died to the tune of $250 in parts + labor on top of $100 spent diagnosing it. I chucked the piece of junk.

Honestly I don't think it even did that good a job cleaning dishes though it was very quiet.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

MetaJew posted:

In my extremely limited experience, I thought the Miele didn't have heated drying. Possibly the same is true for Bosch.

I don't specifically know about that but it does have a bunch of "smart" drying features to prevent streaking:
https://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/dishwashers-2510.htm?mat=10363920&name=G_6620_SC

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Cross post from the Landscaping thread since nobody ever posts there:

Since we bought our house back in December, we've noticed ponding water in the way back of the yard under the power lines. Our guess is that the power company compacted the lawn when they were trimming the right-of-way. Since ponding water is gross and I have small kids that I'd prefer don't catch a mosquito borne disease, we decided to get rid of the standing water.

Cue: 3 yards of screened topsoil, delivered!

So then I had to shovel it and wheel it in the backyard

Spread it around and rake it level(ish)

Tamp it flat and do another bit if it was still too low

And then 4 hours latter, done!

Note: I'm still a little sore from it and I did it on Saturday.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Sometimes inspections/inspectors and building code are extremely loving stupid. Really it's the code, since the inspectors are just doing their job.

The California Green Code is one of the dumbest provisions in existence. In order to 'save on residential water', all faucets/showerheads from like the last 20 years are no longer legal, so you can't buy them from Amazon. So instead you have to ship a showerhead to a proxy/friend in another state, who will then ship it to you. They are restricting the max flow of water from shower heads, which is really stupid because the wasted water comes from gardens and almonds and golf courses and other dumb things.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Whatheck! My parent's crusty old apartment complex has sprinklers go every morning, to keep the blanket of fallen pine needles damp. It's stupid and unnecessary.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

peanut posted:

Whatheck! My parent's crusty old apartment complex has sprinklers go every morning, to keep the blanket of fallen pine needles damp. It's stupid and unnecessary.

Your parent don't live in what should be actually a desert. So it's not quite the same.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My parents live in Mountain View, CA, which is exactly where we're talking about.
California could/should revise its codes to be region/climate specific.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Tamp it flat and do another bit if it was still too low

:cripes:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

what did I do wrong?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

what did I do wrong?

Eh I was half joking. You did good.

Tamping down soil like you would prepping for pavers is exactly what you don't want to do -- freshly spread soil is as ideally non-compacted as it gets, and so going through and packing it down is kind of a silly "own goal" in the war against soil compaction. I'm assuming you just tapped it in lightly and didn't really pack it down so much that you actually needed that tool, though, so it's probably fine.

Ideally what you'd do is just throw it down and push/brush it around, then keep on repeating until it's roughly level. Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_nvzs1dCNw

but you are right that if you do that it IS going to settle and leave a low spot again, and your desire to not have to go back and do it again is understandable.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hubis posted:

Eh I was half joking. You did good.

Tamping down soil like you would prepping for pavers is exactly what you don't want to do -- freshly spread soil is as ideally non-compacted as it gets, and so going through and packing it down is kind of a silly "own goal" in the war against soil compaction.

I might’ve thrown in a bit of sand to help drainage in that spot.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

H110Hawk posted:

Join us... Get the third rack. It seriously doubles the capacity of the dishwasher somehow. Beware the front button models, the buttons snap off every 5-7 years. Get the top buttons.

I think I posted about my bosch in here? it's tight af and definitely has heated drying, just buy one

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut posted:

My parents live in Mountain View, CA, which is exactly where we're talking about.
California could/should revise its codes to be region/climate specific.

OK, I have purchased a $7 CALIFORNIA GREEN CODE 2016 compliant shower head from Home Depot and 'asked my contractors' to 'install it permanently', with final inspection on Friday.

I have also asked my contractor to 'permanently install' dimmers on every loving light in the house, because it needs to follow the CALIFORNIA GREEN CODE 2016 Section 150.0.k listed here.

https://ww2.energy.ca.gov/2015publications/CEC-400-2015-037/CEC-400-2015-037-CMF.pdf

And I'm not joking, the relevant section says:

quote:

J. In bathrooms, garages, laundry rooms, and utility rooms, at least one luminaire in each of these spaces
shall be controlled by a vacancy sensor.
K. Dimmers or vacancy sensors shall control all luminaires required to have light sources compliant with
Reference Joint Appendix JA8.
EXCEPTION 1 to Section 150.0(k)2K: Luminaires in closets less than 70 square feet.
EXCEPTION 2 to Section 150.0(k)2K: Luminaires in hallways

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Is this why so many houses don't have overhead lighting and need floor lamps instead? ?!?!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

peanut posted:

Is this why so many houses don't have overhead lighting and need floor lamps instead? ?!?!

Depends on what houses you are talking about. Overhead lighting wasn't a thing until relatively recently. (relatively in the perspective of homes that still exist in many areas of the US)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My experience is mostly California, where everybody lives in "starter homes" built in the 60s, mediocre apartments built in the 70s, or McMansions. Everyone (I know) has floor/table lamps outside of the kitchen and bathroom, and sits in the dark to conserve electricity, it sucks lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have literally never seen a house where all the non-hallway overhead lights were wired with dimmers. My house has one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
So yeah, 60 and 70s in CA (the US in general) was not full of can lights in the ceiling. Starting with the 70s and 80s we began to see those awful single point source boob lights in the middle of rooms and they are truly awful because everything is in a shadow and a bunch of floor/table lamps are better in basically every way. Especially when many of the outlets for the room are switched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Motronic posted:

So yeah, 60 and 70s in CA (the US in general) was not full of can lights in the ceiling. Starting with the 70s and 80s we began to see those awful single point source boob lights in the middle of rooms and they are truly awful because everything is in a shadow and a bunch of floor/table lamps are better in basically every way. Especially when many of the outlets for the room are switched.

Yup, my house was built in 1978, and it's got a boob light in every room and hallway except the livingroom (no light but does have a set of switched outlets) and dining room (hanging monstrosity over the table)