Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

zoomers are not generation zyklon that’s a stupid loving anglin meme. they’re growing up in the same capitalist hellscape as the rest of us, and as long as reactionary politics are propped up by capital and carry the implicit message that Capital Is Good Actually, it will never attract any but the most terminally Internet brained young people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's a lot better than your nothing

lol nope it’s literally nothing as the study itself admits

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
literally every demographic is extremely online now. also youtube and twitch are literally full of nazi personality cults. it doesn't make you out of touch to recognize this, however denying it does

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
oh for sure dude

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
the whole world is heading towards extremely online and it’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

cargo cult posted:

literally every demographic is extremely online now. also youtube and twitch are literally full of nazi personality cults. it doesn't make you out of touch to recognize this, however denying it does

They exist, but they're a vocal minority. There's no evidence besides "drat this looks pretty bad" to indicate we're losing an entire generation of kids to Ben Shapiro.

White male kids maybe but like lol look at what they were up to before. The rest are off poisoning their brains with something less stupid or are doing the dumb kid poo poo every single dumb kid has done since the 1900s.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

my biggest concern about this gen is that we've never had a much easier way of disseminating white power ideology than we do now

nazis have always been around, sure. but they never had social media to help spread their belief system as they do currently

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

cargo cult posted:

yes but it’s still only the most absolutely terminal dead enders who fall down the alt right rabbit hole. white zoomers are about as likely to be fashy as millennials, maaaaaybe slightly more (like 5% if that) but gen z is also much much less white than prior generations

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
No one is saying that nazi poo poo doesn't exist on YouTube but clutching your pearls and acting like Youtubels frontpage is fully of Aryan Union recruitment ads is just cspam rolling around in terror again.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

my biggest concern about this gen is that we've never had a much easier way of disseminating white power ideology than we do now

nazis have always been around, sure. but they never had social media to help spread their belief system as they do currently

how do you think Nazis got so popular the first time around?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

OldTennisCourt posted:

No one is saying that nazi poo poo doesn't exist on YouTube but clutching your pearls and acting like Youtubels frontpage is fully of Aryan Union recruitment ads is just cspam rolling around in terror again.

please don't post things from d&d

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

to be honest trying to tap an entire generation is pointless as they are made up of a lot of smaller groups with vastly different experiences.

Like most generational stuff just seems to boil down to middle class whites, which just call em that

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

OldTennisCourt posted:

it takes one suggestion to get from joe rogan to ben shapiro and jorp

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

cargo cult posted:

it takes one suggestion to get from joe rogan to ben shapiro and jorp

And maybe 1 out of 1000 actually clicks those links and maybe 1 out of a 1000 of that agrees and watches more.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The zoomers are gonna help us execute the boomers, then they will execute us.

I welcome it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Trying to imagine social media being the height of white nationalist propaganda, when Henry Ford was giving out free copies of the Protocols with every car.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

we've also never had an easier way of disseminating marxist ideology than we do now

obviously institutions like twitter and youtube would rather protect the reactionary shitheads on their sites than do anything about them but the answer there is to try to discredit the heinous poo poo they push, not just give up on gen z altogether

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
This thread has extremely this tweet energy rn

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1158074774297468928?s=19

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

cargo cult posted:

as opposed to your galaxy brain contrarian take that right wing propaganda isn't just ineffectual despite being pervasive across social media, it actually doesn't exist at all and besides no one is influenced by social media anyway

this is d&d brained

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Al! posted:

this is d&d brained
https://twitter.com/gaywonk/status/1135579624392540160

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

And as we all know, right wing media had no platform before youtube.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

And as we all know, right wing media had no platform before youtube.

15 year olds weren't watching fox news or listening to rush on their way to work in the 90s

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

who the gently caress listens to rush for geddy's lyrics?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Trying to imagine social media being the height of white nationalist propaganda, when Henry Ford was giving out free copies of the Protocols with every car.

Holy poo poo this actually happened

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/04/mayors-bid-to-censor-article-on-henry-fords-anti-semitism-goes-viral.html

In general, because I started this discussion -- thanks guys, maybe I'm reading too much into all this poo poo. I've been particularly broke brained over the past few months for a bunch of reasons (some political, some personal) and I've been pretty low on hope for the future lately.

Dec 26, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

Holy poo poo this actually happened

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/04/mayors-bid-to-censor-article-on-henry-fords-anti-semitism-goes-viral.html

In general, because I started this discussion -- thanks guys, maybe I'm reading too much into all this poo poo. I've been particularly broke brained over the past few months for a bunch of reasons (some political, some personal) and I've been pretty low on hope for the future lately.

the past century is always more insanely racist than you thought it was

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqd4yNFuSw

this movie looks amazing, gently caress these cowards

I saw the thumbnail and was like “understandable” then I saw the trailer and am now counting the seconds till I can see this loving masterpiece

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

This smells like utter bullshit. Yeah okay alt right poo poo rivals loving video games and music. Bullllllllllllshiiiiiiitttt

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lmao if that one goes through but the Purge clone that made the chuds out to be heroes gets axed

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

OldTennisCourt posted:

This smells like utter bullshit. Yeah okay alt right poo poo rivals loving video games and music. Bullllllllllllshiiiiiiitttt

Like a third of the video game content on YouTube is a right wing guy getting mad at SJWs for ruining Skyrim or something

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

lmao if that one goes through but the Purge clone that made the chuds out to be heroes gets axed

"The most dangerous game but right wingers are the game and Zaroff is the Literal Liberal Elite" being attacked by chuds was amazing to watch

Like... even without knowing a goddamn thing about the movie they shouldn't be angry about it, yet... well, they created a backlash to a movie that on its surface was exactly what they wanted to see.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Grondoth posted:

"The most dangerous game but right wingers are the game and Zaroff is the Literal Liberal Elite" being attacked by chuds was amazing to watch

Like... even without knowing a goddamn thing about the movie they shouldn't be angry about it, yet... well, they created a backlash to a movie that on its surface was exactly what they wanted to see.

it's because their bootlicking has gone brain terminal and they literally cannot imagine a scenario where the rich and powerful sociopaths are the bad guys

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

15 year olds weren't watching fox news or listening to rush on their way to work in the 90s

you are insanely naive

Grondoth posted:

I also want to see a movie about people from my neck of the woods revenge killing rich people.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Aug 15, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
someone who goes by cargo cult assuming an entire generation is fascists because of niche media existing is loving magnificent

the children of republicans seek out things that allow them to recapitulate their parents' politics. the same people were ranting about how Star Wars was ruined by liberal propaganda forty years ago, to the same audience of doughy sexless little shits seeking something to lash out at.

the leftmost possible point in the discourse, for our generation, was the Rally To Restore Sanity. remember that any time you start hyperventilating about how media is brainwashing the kids to be right wing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think people kind of underestimate right wingers so they can lay out their rather lame burns

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the ben shapiro zoomers aren't some kind of cultural zeitgeist for the same reason the weirdo knife kid at your school wasn't, calm down

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ok ok i got it

what if

and follow me on this

both online and not-online right-wing propaganda was bad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yinlock posted:

ok ok i got it

what if

and follow me on this

both online and not-online right-wing propaganda was bad

wow, are implying right wingers are real, fuckboy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think people kind of underestimate right wingers so they can lay out their rather lame burns

it's impossible for me to "underestimate right wingers" after living all my life in Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. talk radio and fox news have always been a much more ubiquitous social force than anything on social media.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

do you remember the time that George Bush Sr. went on national television to attack the Simpsons for destroying the American family

there is not a moment in your lifetime that the right wing started going after kids. there was a moment you figured out what that high-pitched whistle you'd been hearing since you were in diapers was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

cargo cult posted:

go check out alt right twitter for like two minutes, its full of (largely white and male, but not exclusively) zoomers. even if theres serious astroturfing going on, the engagement is there in huge numbers

It's also full of boomers, Gen X, and Millennials.