Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Warcry is simple, fast, and fun. Can’t wait to play it again. The health pools of Warcry vs the (mostly) single wound models in KT means that you almost never spend an activation just whiffing missed attacks, which also means that you need to think a lot about the map and objectives and exactly how much you can commit to a given scuffle before you need to disengage and haul rear end somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Really interested to hear how the non Chaos factions fit into the game!

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Played a game with gitz last night and flying with 2" range is very strong. You can attack without getting stuck in combat and do a full move away instead of having to retreat.

Also a quad on the bounder boss is pretty much a death sentence for anything.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Well, my opponent looked at the Stormcast cards and declared them op. Then, the deployment we drew had me split my 3 battle groups of 2 dudes so that each will arrive 1 turn at a time, the victory condition was holding objectives, whoever has the most points at the end of turn 3 and the twist was no attacks past range 8.

It didn't go well.

I was just playing what I had(Underworld guys plus two longstrikes) so it's not really an optimal warband. Also, the abilities take some thought on use. Even though I was at a big disadvantage, I feel like the right dice might have got me into a decent position to contend a little more. I am actually considering getting some gryphhounds and aetherwings even though I've got other warbands because I had a lot of fun with stormcast.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

My warband is Vanguard-Prime, 2 Vanguard-Hunters and 3 gryph-hounds and the bird-dogs are the real stars of the show. The triple ability to do a bonus attack then disengage is very good.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Finally putting my Seekers together for my Slaanesh list. I'm falling in love with their "too hot for Seussical" design, but I have a question: from the warscroll it appears, just like Daemonettes, that you can run both an icon and a banner in the same unit of 5. Which would mean there's literally only one normal, non-command Seeker in any given set.

Is that accurate? It seems very odd.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

I told myself I wouldn't play another game. Whoops.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
x-posting today's paintjob

richyp posted:

Saturday is paint an even bigger tree day

With his lil' friends

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is anyone else super excited for Cubicle7's AoS RPG? I love how communicative they've been about everything, and the system looks good, but the best is how insane the party composition is gonna be. A dwarf with a blimp attached to them, a 7 foot tall immortal golden woman, a walking tree with a bow, and a blind sea-aelf riding a shark. I can't imagine anything more fun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is anyone else super excited for Cubicle7's AoS RPG? I love how communicative they've been about everything, and the system looks good, but the best is how insane the party composition is gonna be. A dwarf with a blimp attached to them, a 7 foot tall immortal golden woman, a walking tree with a bow, and a blind sea-aelf riding a shark. I can't imagine anything more fun.

Pretty excited.

And I do like how easy the staff has been to communicate with on it.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Anyone have any good 3 player battleplans? Anyone have good guidelines on running 3 player games? We tried doing a 3 player meeting engagement thing. The meeting engagement part worked OK, but our choice of objectives (king of the hill) just turned it into a last man standing game, instead. We also didn't know how to resolve some situations, like who gets to fight in each fight phase. We ended up having everyone who could fight, fight each turn, which was bad for the shooting characters who got to shoot even less often relative to melee.

Still, it was overall fun, and a good chance to try out my gloomspite gitz. Loonboss on Mangler Squigs was just deleting big guys off the board each turn. The fellwater troggoths were also surprisingly fun to use.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I guess I'm overdue for Warcry stuff. My impressions are:

• The initiative system owns, and the basic game flow is pretty fast.
  • This is maybe the first and only time I've thought the Strength/Toughness system has worked in Warhammer. It's one roll and can never get to below 3+, so you avoid some of the "certain" damage of 2+ reroll ones you get in the other games.
  • The short games are mostly due to an enforced limit of three turns, with you only playing on if there's a draw. This seems a pretty clumsy way of making the game short, but it's direct, I suppose!
  • Deepkin NEED a triple on turn 3 for High Tide. It's really strong. The eels are fantastic in a scrap, but the Thralls and Reavers need numbers. Reavers seem bad.

Here's some photos, and also some pictures of Chris Peach's Free Peoples army which I'm super jealous of.

(The Blood Ravens Intercessor is a proxy for a Reaver. He died without firing a shot.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Deleter posted:

I guess I'm overdue for Warcry stuff. My impressions are:

• The initiative system owns, and the basic game flow is pretty fast.
  • This is maybe the first and only time I've thought the Strength/Toughness system has worked in Warhammer. It's one roll and can never get to below 3+, so you avoid some of the "certain" damage of 2+ reroll ones you get in the other games.
  • The short games are mostly due to an enforced limit of three turns, with you only playing on if there's a draw. This seems a pretty clumsy way of making the game short, but it's direct, I suppose!
  • Deepkin NEED a triple on turn 3 for High Tide. It's really strong. The eels are fantastic in a scrap, but the Thralls and Reavers need numbers. Reavers seem bad.

Thank you! I haven't heard much about the actual play yet, so this is all good info to know.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
One more thing - the random mission generation seems to work fine from the three games I played. You need to read the deployment cards carefully as the symbols are small and everyone has to come on from certain spots, but once you get that it adds a really dynamic element to the way the game goes. The real rear end in a top hat kicker is the twists - two of my three games had a twist that limited shooting distance which was a problem for my Reavers. I would probably be way happier going through that deck and getting rid of anything that was really limiting.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Three turns sounds kind of barfy.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
If you draw then you keep playing until you end a turn on not a draw. I don't know if other scenarios let you play longer - this is what's on the cards. With the way Deepkin work in particular, turn three does seem like it was designed to be the natural end.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

There are definitely scenarios that are longer than three turns.

After a few more games under my belt I can say that I'm digging Warcry more and more. A lot of the initial complaints (it turns into slugfest clusterfucks, you can't be sure of your powers) are mitigated by playing to objectives, paying attention to model count, and (like The Deleter alluded to above) making sure you know when and how you want to use your beefier abilities in later turns and guaranteeing you have the wild dice to pull it off. I'm forcing myself to finish painting the starter warbands before I get the Corvids.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Three turns sounds kind of barfy.

Its generally fine from my, admittedly limited, experience. It encourages playing aggressively. Honestly most of the game mechanics serve in an aggressive playstyle and I like it.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Haven't looked at this since Sigmar came out but just binged through the intro section of the GW site and holy poo poo these models look really rad. Love the gobbos and the new underwater themed guys especially. Crazy that they still have the old gors and tuskgor chariot models tho :stare:

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

The Deleter posted:

One more thing - the random mission generation seems to work fine from the three games I played. You need to read the deployment cards carefully as the symbols are small and everyone has to come on from certain spots, but once you get that it adds a really dynamic element to the way the game goes. The real rear end in a top hat kicker is the twists - two of my three games had a twist that limited shooting distance which was a problem for my Reavers. I would probably be way happier going through that deck and getting rid of anything that was really limiting.

Played my first games last night and enjoyed it overall, but for us two out of the three were kind of lopsided. I could see it being a little closer with more experience, but the more lopsided ones seemed to come from getting the "get a treasure and hold it through the end of turn 3" type scenarios. In both cases it was fairly easy for the person playing keep away to get the treasure and get somewhere awkward where it was just going to be near impossible to get enough force into combat range to try to take them out within 3 turns. Granted we were using the starter armies, which are not particularly fast, but if those come up a lot I could see it being annoying. Our initial thought was pushing it to 5 turns would probably balance it out better, as a speedy target would still be able to make things tight, but give a slower attacker time to actually cut off avenues of escape/bring pressure to bear. We're planning to keep playing without anything for now though and see how it shakes out.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

This is real tangential to Sigmarchat but I've started grabbing Citadel paints again and Screaming Bell is the most ridiculous basecoat color ever, it's like a hideously angry penny and I love it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

aphid_licker posted:

Haven't looked at this since Sigmar came out but just binged through the intro section of the GW site and holy poo poo these models look really rad. Love the gobbos and the new underwater themed guys especially. Crazy that they still have the old gors and tuskgor chariot models tho :stare:

The fish elves look even better in person tbh. The eels and the elves themselves are a lot lither and less cartoony than the GW pics make them look.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Is there talk of a Warcry Enhanced ebook coming out? The only digital one I see is the ePub, and I would rather get the fancy enhanced version if it's coming.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Has anyone grabbed the Corvids for Warcry yet? If so, how do they play? And can anyone snap a pic of the paint guide (or link one online) for it? Thanks.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

food court bailiff posted:

Has anyone grabbed the Corvids for Warcry yet? If so, how do they play? And can anyone snap a pic of the paint guide (or link one online) for it? Thanks.

According to my friend who's v into warcry a lot of their mechanics involve being 3" off the ground but the terrain in the box is something like 2.75". Expect a faq!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

According to my friend who's v into warcry a lot of their mechanics involve being 3" off the ground but the terrain in the box is something like 2.75". Expect a faq!

Everyone I've played with has agreed that the terrain is actually 3" in terms of how it should be played - I think it's actually slightly taller than 2.75" and it's not just corvid mechanics that key off of that, it's everything about impact damage and falling/jumping as well. On the one hand it's a weird oversight but on the other, I don't know how they possibly could have squeezed any more height out of the terrain sprues, those buggers were dense.

e: the rulebook itself calls it 3" on page 35 and 43

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 15, 2019

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

Painted 10 more Dryads today to bump them up to 20 (got 10 more to do), and the first 5 of the the Eternal Guard unit (bottom right).

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Looking great, solid progress.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Been painting the death part of Soul Wars, its been fun, will have a group shot soon of what I've got so far, but I love the thorns/flowers on some of the Death models.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Absolutely beautiful my friend

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My army in progress

final list will look something like

quote:

LEADERS
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (120)
Necromancer (130)
Spirit Torment (120)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
Neferata Mortarch of Blood (380)
The Briar Queen (180)
- Allies
UNITS
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Spears
4 x Glaivewraith Stalkers (60)
4 x Glaivewraith Stalkers (60)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
5 x Black Knights (120)
7 x The Sepulchral Guard (80)
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
6 x Thorns of the Briar Queen (0)
- Allies
4 x Myrmourn Banshees (70)
- Allies
BEHEMOTHS
Terrorgheist (300)

Any cheap tips/suggestions on how to improve it would be ok, but I mostly went with what looked cool and fun to paint.

Am I correct in assuming that I could leave the skeleton warriors and the black knights out of the point count and then use a death mage to summon them later or do summoned units count towards points?

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 17, 2019

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Spirit Hosts are murder blenders. They have 6 attacks each that do mortal wounds when they roll a 6 on the hit roll. They are great for taking down anything that has a decent save.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I'm having a little trouble getting my head around some rules. I'm not seeing daemon princes or soul grinders in this maggotkin codex, but someone said I could take them. Is that just as allies or if I give them the nurgle key word are the actually allowed fully? If the latter are their rules explaining or confirming that somewhere?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Each of the chaos god's subfactions just require the keyword (nurgle, slaanesh, etc.).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Just over two weeks later and I finally have almost all of the Warcry starter basecoat--oh poo poo I forgot the chaos beasts nevermind.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

I’m way behind on my Warcry painting, but the standalone cards gave me an excuse to revisit my very first goblins and squigs from 1996. I’m trying to put together one of the “official” 6 chaos warbands, but I haven’t found anyone locally to trade my Untamed Beasts into Iron Golems yet. Because of the mostly mono pause models and set roles, getting more than one of the more elite members of the band is difficult.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm having a little trouble getting my head around some rules. I'm not seeing daemon princes or soul grinders in this maggotkin codex, but someone said I could take them. Is that just as allies or if I give them the nurgle key word are the actually allowed fully? If the latter are their rules explaining or confirming that somewhere?

As Spike pointed out, the important thing is that they have the NURGLE keyword. I just started a new Hedonite army this summer, so I'm slightly up on this.

Daemon Princes, as of their current scroll, can be given any of the gods' keywords for free if you take them as a "Daemon Prince of X", each of which also functions a little differently in battle. You can take as many of them as you can afford in your list, and they should benefit from many of your army mechanics.

Soul Grinders, unfortunately, have no such rule and no god keywords, which means they can only be taken as allies by armies like Maggotkin. Up to 20% of your list can be allies; Soul Grinders are 250p, so you can take one in your Maggotkin list in a 1250+ point game, or two at 2500.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

As Spike pointed out, the important thing is that they have the NURGLE keyword. I just started a new Hedonite army this summer, so I'm slightly up on this.

Daemon Princes, as of their current scroll, can be given any of the gods' keywords for free if you take them as a "Daemon Prince of X", each of which also functions a little differently in battle. You can take as many of them as you can afford in your list, and they should benefit from many of your army mechanics.

Soul Grinders, unfortunately, have no such rule and no god keywords, which means they can only be taken as allies by armies like Maggotkin. Up to 20% of your list can be allies; Soul Grinders are 250p, so you can take one in your Maggotkin list in a 1250+ point game, or two at 2500.

The Warscroll for the Soul Grinder lets you assign the God Keyword

There's other non-Maggotkin battletome units you can take by adding Nurgle too. e.g. The Beasts of Chaos let you mark units with the Keyword Nurgle if you use one of the God specific Warscroll Batallions. Also Clan Pestilins Skaven units an keep your allegiance to pure Nurgle too.

EDIT: It's another case of inconsistency with the scrolls though as it's fairly blatant on the Daemon Prince that you can have the keyword vs the Soul Grinder

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

richyp posted:

The Warscroll for the Soul Grinder lets you assign the God Keyword

I'll be damned!

And yeah, Chaos armies (especially Nurgle) have a wealth of options scattered across a bunch of books; it's a boon, but it can be pretty overwhelming. And some of the relevant scrolls are in constant flux; I could've sworn that a few months ago you couldn't give a Prince a god keyword. Totally possible I was wrong, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

This is really exciting guys! Thanks for being good readers and rule knowers.

I guess there's no way to summon them though, right?