Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Jenny Agutter posted:

It was just all the other new stuff like riding animals and farming and cooking, not one big thing

It was also the reinvention of the new/returning player experience. Basically the third pillar was “this is 2.0 now with other significant overhauls”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How do cockpit controls work in VR? do you have a virtual throttle and stick?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

The Walrus posted:

Yes, on Index at least you put your hands in position, activate the grips, and the PCs hands grip the controls. You can move your hands to manipulate the controls. Little awkward, and seems very touchy on the stick.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
And another For No Man Sky: how is the performance? Any tips of getting it to run well? (On rift s with i9 9900k and a 1080ti)

Been hearing a lot of conflicting reports from it’s performance from being dogshit with a 2080ti to ok.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Mang Tomas posted:

And another For No Man Sky: how is the performance? Any tips of getting it to run well? (On rift s with i9 9900k and a 1080ti)

Been hearing a lot of conflicting reports from it’s performance from being dogshit with a 2080ti to ok.

It seems completely random as to what is working for people and will most likely get ironed out in patches. I have two friends with pretty much identical mid range systems, as I built them for them and they are having completely opposite experiences.

Just sounds horrendously optimized for PCVR and the devs didnt test it at all before release which is pretty lol but sounds pretty on brand for Hello Games.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Threadripper 2950X with RTX 2070S, I get 45-60 frames depending on where I am, Index with 100% supersampling.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It seems like they botched the implementation of VR somewhat. It seems like the per eye resolution it renders is based on your desktop resolution or something.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Sigh ok. Already bought the drat game (on launch at full price.. lols) so I’ll give it a try.

Maybe I’m one of the chosen ones...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Cojawfee posted:

It seems like they botched the implementation of VR somewhat. It seems like the per eye resolution it renders is based on your desktop resolution or something.

oh man, that's a classic

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Direct mode isn’t enabled so you have to uncouple your HMD from your desktop refresh.

I have a 2600x and a 1080ti and it’s struggling hard but uncoupling the refresh apparently helps a lot

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Direct mode isn’t enabled so you have to uncouple your HMD from your desktop refresh.

I have a 2600x and a 1080ti and it’s struggling hard but uncoupling the refresh apparently helps a lot

How do they gently caress it up that badly?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Fallout 4 VR had what seems to be the same problem at launch.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The Walrus posted:

Virtual throttle and stick and the stick is controlled entirely by hand tilt, not movement. Feels odd to me because with a flight stick you're generally moving your hand, not just tilting. I'm sure I could get used to it fairly quickly if I tried.

FYI, NMS works over Virtual Desktop streaming with no issues. I did have some lag when flying around planets but it was game lag as stuff loaded in while flying above the planet surface, not streaming lag.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tom Guycot posted:

How do they gently caress it up that badly?

Have you ever heard of No Man's Sky before?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mang Tomas posted:

I'm on an i7-8700k and 1080ti with 32GB of RAM and the game installed on an M2 NVME SSD that gets insane read/write speeds and it was still stuttering occasionally when flying over planets. Felt like texture/terrain/model loading hiccups, not really rendering slow downs since both audio and video hiccuped simultaneously.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'm hype for Armored Front to enter EA on the 30th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Q2s6T3Vq8

Apparently Ultimate Fishing Sim VR drops the same day; I've heard the 2d version pales compared to competitors, but it almost has to be better than Catch & Release. I tried to like c&r, but it just doesn't feel like fishing.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

Mang Tomas posted:

I posted the following in the NMS thread. I have an i7-4990k, Titan X, and 32 gigs 'o memory and it ran like dried poo poo upon my first attempt. After it crashed while in the Nexus I looked at the Steam forums to see what people were saying and found the following:

Some person on Steam posted:

Alright, people. I got it to run smooth without reprojection. Previously, reprojection was constantly active.

1070GTX
Ryzen 2700
etc etc

The problem isn't your system, (probably), it's that the game is NOT running in direct mode. That means your desktop settings will effect the game, including resolution and frame rate (when using v-sync). This will likely be patched. For now, here's how to get around the problem:

Go into your GPU control panel and force v-sync off. Your VR game is being locked to your desktop monitors refresh-rate, and if this is lower than your VR headset's refresh rate it causes reprojection to kick in all the time.

Then, go into the games graphics settings. Switch the game to fullscreen, and start reducing the resolution. By default the game is rendering at your desktop resolution, so you could be forcing a very high SS without knowing it, especially if your running a 4K or 1440p monitor. It does seem like the resolution is per-eye, even though it should be full-field. The vives per-eye resolution is 1080x1200, but you can't select that resolution so just set it close to that (or higher if you want SS).

Next, make sure the games maximum frame-rate option matches the hz of your VR headset. For the Vive, set it to 90. May as well disable v-sync here as well.

Now your game wont be locked to a refresh-rate lower than your headset, and you can adjust your resolution up and down to match your desired SS... kinda.

Enjoy!

Worked like a charm. There still some hitching when landing on planets, but other than that it's smooth sailing.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ACValiant posted:

How would you guys recommend getting used to the motion sickness associated with free motion? I'd like to get more into multiplayer shooters and that seems to be a barrier to me.

Dramamine if its really bad and stop when it starts hitting you. Repeat until used to it. Ginger candy helps for minor sicky times.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Harminoff posted:

I have an RX 580 and i5 4570. Will let you know later tonight.

Played for about two hours in VR and it actually worked pretty well, considering I have the following system.
Dell Visor
RX 580
I5 4570
18gb ram
And game not installed on my ssd.

It's weird that the visor map does move with your head, but the suite stats and whatnot don't?

I'm also a lefty, and didn't see a way to change the controls? Not the biggest deal as this isn't a fps but would be nice.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Mine just crashes after the splash page if launched in VR. Seems to work nicely in 2d.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I tried that QuakeQuest sideload game for about 15 min. Then I got an overwhelming queasy sensation and had to set the quest down for the night.

It was pretty fun while it lasted, but the movement is a tad weird (wherever your facing determines what direction you travel) and motion sickness inducing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

RandomBlue posted:

Shipped back my Index on the last possible day, repacking it was a PITA, there are 100 parts.

Why?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea posted in the NMS thread as I just finished playing for a few hours (Time flies in VR in NMS drat). Game feels great in VR and so far with my old X79 rig and a 2080, no performance hitches whatsoever (I already had my screen/setup dialed in V-Sync wise for G-Sync so that helped).

My work PC with the same 6 core but a 560Ti does have the the crash before the game starts so at least the one that is crashing isn't the important one.

This is really a great game in VR as everyone had hoped, and they did a really good job making it work. I will be spending a lot more time in it than before.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea posted in the NMS thread as I just finished playing for a few hours (Time flies in VR in NMS drat). Game feels great in VR and so far with my old X79 rig and a 2080, no performance hitches whatsoever (I already had my screen/setup dialed in V-Sync wise for G-Sync so that helped).

My work PC with the same 6 core but a 560Ti does have the the crash before the game starts so at least the one that is crashing isn't the important one.

This is really a great game in VR as everyone had hoped, and they did a really good job making it work. I will be spending a lot more time in it than before.

Congratulations on being one of the lucky few to not have horrific performance issues with it!

I'm running a 980ti, which generally handles everything in VR wonderfully, and it's in constant reprojection on the lowest settings. It runs basically identically on the highest settings.

I played about an hour, and it was fairly neat, but I'm going to refund it if there isn't a fix within the next two weeks.

And yes, I've turned off vsync, reduced the desktop resolution, set the maximum fps to my headset fps, and all the other stuff people are suggesting online.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Gooch181 posted:

I'm hype for Armored Front to enter EA on the 30th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Q2s6T3Vq8

Apparently Ultimate Fishing Sim VR drops the same day; I've heard the 2d version pales compared to competitors, but it almost has to be better than Catch & Release. I tried to like c&r, but it just doesn't feel like fishing.

Ultimate Fishing Sim is basically if you took the Free to Play poo poo out of Fishing Planet. It's a good purchase if you liked Fishing Planet but don't want to be forced to catch 5000 trout before you're allowed to fish for salmon (or Pay2Win past that grind). Not a wonderful game, but it's lazy and chill and works decently well. The lure play is hella gamey, though. Gotta do some exacting rhythm or it'll be like "your lure movement is unappealing to literally every fake fish in the video game, sorry."

I'm with you on C&R. I didn't play too much, but it seems focused on a really weird model of float fishing with no gear selection beyond bait, and the fighting feels hella unrealistic. Like, I drop my bait next to my boat, maybe 5ft of line out, and this tiny fish gets hooked, and I can't just pull it out of the water or my line will break (and there's no drag setting). Instead, just let it fight as hard as it can and then it basically gets caught by slingshotting itself out the water and into your face. It feels dumb as hell.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
That's nice to hear about UFS. Yeah, the physics in C&R are just insane, as you mentioned.

Regarding NMS; I managed to get it to boot in vr as long as the controllers aren't on. It let me select difficulty and got into the game screen, but it wouldn't accept m/kb commands. As soon as I turned them on, it crashed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would also check steamvr superscaling for NMS. FPSVR reports that steamvr is applying 150% SS to the game, which is probably part of my problem. I get the feeling even a 1080ti isn’t enough to superscale NMS VR

Unfortunately I noticed that at the very end of my play session, so I’ll try adjusting it tomorrow

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I also tried no mans sky tonight and it was absolutely smooth for me on default settings (9900k and 2080 on a Rift S). I have a 144hz gsync monitor. I never launched the game outside of VR so maybe it’s not holding on to some older preset that wouldn’t have existed if I’d never launched it in desktop mode or something but it looked and played great. Flight controls suck a bit but I’ll probably get used to them, or I’ll find some way to use an Xbox controller for flight and touch controllers for everything else. Really impressed.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It looks like they already have a number of fixes in the Experimental build. Check out the Pinned discussion on steam on how to access it. They already have 2 updates out since release.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

moolchaba posted:

I tried that QuakeQuest sideload game for about 15 min. Then I got an overwhelming queasy sensation and had to set the quest down for the night.

It was pretty fun while it lasted, but the movement is a tad weird (wherever your facing determines what direction you travel) and motion sickness inducing.

Yeah free movement or most cockpit stuff gets me super dizzy and I even work in VR. I'm prone to dizzyness a bit irl though.

I tried Aircar the other night and lasted about 5 (very cool) minutes before I had to stop and was pretty much low key dizzy for the rest of the evening.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
I recently got myself a PSVR and have been enjoying it so far. I wanted to get the Trover bundle, but they weren't available at the store I got it from, so I got the Blood & Truth one instead which also included a pair of Move controllers which I was intending on getting anyway.

Blood & Truth so far has been an entertaining shooting game that also features a few fun VR motion controls such as just pointlessly playing with random toys in the environment. For example: some of the collectibles are a bunch of vapes you can actually use if you hold them up to your face and blow in the headset's mic (no mechanical effects).

One of the other games I got immediately was Star Trek: Bridge Crew Which has been fun playing solo, but I'd like to know if anyone wants to play together (cross platform play is apparently available, so PC players can join).

Does anyone have any other suggestions for PSVR games? I admit I'm a bit of a weeb and a fan of anime and anime games. I plan on getting Trover Saves the Universe eventually.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Anyone else having NMS instantly and inexplicably exit to desktop after selecting a difficulty level?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Gooch181 posted:

That's nice to hear about UFS. Yeah, the physics in C&R are just insane, as you mentioned.

Regarding NMS; I managed to get it to boot in vr as long as the controllers aren't on. It let me select difficulty and got into the game screen, but it wouldn't accept m/kb commands. As soon as I turned them on, it crashed.

Quoting myself from the nms thread

Jenny Agutter posted:

Lol apparently having the wmr controllers connected causes the game to crash on launch. There is a driver someone made that gets it to work for now https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/cqeoud/steamvr_driver_to_make_nms_work/

That driver just makes it so the wmr controllers are hw identified as vive wands. In that thread there's also information on mapping the controls.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Jenny Agutter posted:

Quoting myself from the nms thread

That driver just makes it so the wmr controllers are hw identified as vive wands. In that thread there's also information on mapping the controls.

I've never even seen a WMR headset, and that bug causes crash on launch, not difficulty selection. Vive + knuckles here.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Shoefish posted:

Weekly reminder that COMPOUND https://store.steampowered.com/app/615120/ is still one of the best games in vr and just received a big update, now has a final level with a boss, and mutators have been released which are all pretty great.

That video really makes me think Wolfenstein 3D, but VR

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ralith posted:

Anyone else having NMS instantly and inexplicably exit to desktop after selecting a difficulty level?

I think there was a bunch of instability added in the big update because even pancake players are reporting constant crashes. Luckily it doesn't seem to affect me. Though I have had a bunch of freezes that I thought were leading to a crash when I hadn't saved in a while.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

My eyeballs are too far apart in my huge rear end head.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

EdEddnEddy posted:

A great job with everything but optimization. Wowzer.

Tip posted:

Congratulations on being one of the lucky few to not have horrific performance issues with it!

I'm running a 980ti, which generally handles everything in VR wonderfully, and it's in constant reprojection on the lowest settings. It runs basically identically on the highest settings.

I played about an hour, and it was fairly neat, but I'm going to refund it if there isn't a fix within the next two weeks.

And yes, I've turned off vsync, reduced the desktop resolution, set the maximum fps to my headset fps, and all the other stuff people are suggesting online.

Yeah this is exactly where I'm at. I've tried everything and can not get it to run well period no matter the settings and voodoo suggestions of changing settings. It really runs unacceptably bad, when I can also run FO4VR with minimal reprojection, and a lot more graphic bling turned on. Theres something really fishy and they got some patchin' to do.

There are other little problems with it as well. overall they did a good job bringing motion controls into it, but there are some frustrating quirks that show its development for PSVR with minimal porting to PC. The most obvious is your hands aren't where they're supposed to be. They're not where your hands are, but a few inches out, clearly from when it was designed for psvr wands. Its a small thing, but its also disappointing you don't have any real hand control, they just open and close in a binary way. Its also a bit of a nuisance that it shows oculus support, but actually only uses steamVR and the extra little bits of headache that brings. It would have been nice for them to have native support, or at least have that noted on their store page and not just list oculus support on the side.

Really though, thats all minor, the big issue is the performance. Theres so much variance in reports of performance, not just in people with different setups, but people with the same setups have vastly different experiences, or people with worse systems having it run better than people with better systems. Its all just really fucky and they need to do some serious bug squashing and optimization.

ShichiNoBushi posted:

I recently got myself a PSVR and have been enjoying it so far. I wanted to get the Trover bundle, but they weren't available at the store I got it from, so I got the Blood & Truth one instead which also included a pair of Move controllers which I was intending on getting anyway.

Blood & Truth so far has been an entertaining shooting game that also features a few fun VR motion controls such as just pointlessly playing with random toys in the environment. For example: some of the collectibles are a bunch of vapes you can actually use if you hold them up to your face and blow in the headset's mic (no mechanical effects).

One of the other games I got immediately was Star Trek: Bridge Crew Which has been fun playing solo, but I'd like to know if anyone wants to play together (cross platform play is apparently available, so PC players can join).

Does anyone have any other suggestions for PSVR games? I admit I'm a bit of a weeb and a fan of anime and anime games. I plan on getting Trover Saves the Universe eventually.

I think one that can always get recommended is SuperHot. Beatsaber as well, but the PSVR version doens't have modding or custom songs. Rec Room is free, and has a lot of fun activities, particularly the various quest modes to check out. NMS just launched their big VR update and, from the sound of everything the PSVR version doesn't have any of the performance issues.

I forget everything thats on PSVR, but you might want to check out the PSVR specific thread here, they should have more suggestions as well. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790293

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sounds like I need to wait for the next NMS patch and/or a sale before buying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hadlock posted:

Sounds like I need to wait for the next NMS patch and/or a sale before buying

Well it is actually on sale right now for 50% off, which is why I picked it up.

I mean, its honestly so close to being there, because there really is some good use of VR controls especially for a port, like opening your cockpit canopy to exit the ship is great, the inventory and menu all work well in vr, the virtual controls for ship flight work well (though are super touchy and i had to turn the sensitivity way down), its just... they need to do some patching.