Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
oh no how did this get here

I am not good with computer

or just go and say it to a southeast Asian and see how they respond

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol. Good luck with that! Google jared o'mara.

Oh yeah, believe me I know. That's Sheffield Hallam though and I'm gonna be in Sheffield South East. Though honestly I'm not really sure if that makes much difference. My mp will be Clive Betts who "seems" to be ok looking at https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10045/clive_betts/sheffield_south_east

E: I don't ever post enough to snipe but I have 5 cats and am quite mad so here is a picture of Sneef:

Also Brannigans' ham and mustard are the best crisp and I will fight you. (closely followed by flaming hot monster munch)

Mebh fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 15, 2019

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

oh no how did this get here

I am not good with computer

if you want more evidence go and say it to a southeast Asian and see how they respond

Is something wrong with your brain?

The first link is about the disorder nicknamed moon-face. It's real name is Cushingoid face. It makes people get a fat face. It can be caused by obesity and steroid use. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_face. That blog appears to be someone Asian talking about other Asians that have moon-face. Not that it is a slur. Notice how towards the bottom there are other people, apparently from Hollywood, that are also suffering from it. It can happen to anyone. It's literally excess fat on the face.

The second link appears to be a cartoon about a 'Moon festival' and making a light hearted joke where the artist has drawn a moon and then given it stylised eyes. I assume the author is Asian and not being racist.

Did you actually read your links?

You literally just put "Asian moonface" into google and just posted anything that looked passable as 'proof'.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 15, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Is something wrong with your brain?

The first link is about the disorder nicknamed moon-face. It's real name is Cushingoid face. It makes people get a fat face. It can be caused by obesity and steroid use. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_face. That blog appears to be someone Asian talking about other Asians that have moon-face. Not that it is a slur. Notice how towards the bottom there are other people, apparently from Hollywood, that are also suffering from it. It can happen to anyone. It's literally excess fat on the face.

The second link appears to be a cartoon about a 'Moon festival' and making a light hearted joke where the artist has drawn a moon and then given it stylised eyes. I assume the author is Asian and not being racist.

You literally just put "Asian moonface" into google and just posted anything that looked passable as 'proof'.

The more common slur is 'pie-face', but yeah, going at Asians for having round faces is a thing.

https://twitter.com/chrissyteigen/status/331536212059889664?s=21

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 15, 2019

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Yo, if you’re told that a term is racist and you used it in ignorance, maybe the thing to do is be contrite about it and say you won’t do it again to err on the side of caution rather than demanding proof of it definitely being racist.

You’re about six posts off of asking for an n-word pass ffs.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

well it certainly doesn't look like you loving read them

link 1 features the phrase "Asian Moon Face" in the fourth loving paragraph. you know what it doesn't feature, anywhere? any mention of the medical disorder

and link 2 shows someone painting a stereotypical Asian face which, surprise, looks like a loving moon

and I'll repeat, find an Asian person and ask them how they'd feel about someone using it to them if you don't want to trust the internet

at this point I'm even starting to doubt that you used it without knowing it was a slur having watched you double, triple and quadruple-down on it

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Itt moon face is not particularly racist in the grand scheme of things but could be misinterpreted mind. However you're also protesting way the gently caress too much and digging a massive hole by doing so.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Julio Cruz posted:

at this point I'm even starting to doubt that you used it without knowing it was a slur having watched you double, triple and quadruple-down on it

That's funny, because to an uninvolved party it looks like you're desperately trying to attach racist intent to him for using a not uncommon insult for a fatty. With 'evidence' that brings a whole new level to the term "reaching".

Mebh posted:

Itt moon face is not really racist but you're also protesting way the gently caress too much and digging a massive hole by doing so.

If someone, out of the blue, starts trying to character assassinate you with something vile, getting flustered and over-defending yourself is pretty understandable tbh.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 15, 2019

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

well it certainly doesn't look like you loving read them

link 1 features the phrase "Asian Moon Face" in the fourth loving paragraph. you know what it doesn't feature, anywhere? any mention of the medical disorder

and link 2 shows someone painting a stereotypical Asian face which, surprise, looks like a loving moon

and I'll repeat, find an Asian person and ask them how they'd feel about someone using it to them if you don't want to trust the internet

Yeah ok you can't read.

I know the blog didn't mention a medical term. That was exactly why I put the link in. To explain to you what the blog was on about. It wasn't a blog about the racist term 'moon face'. It was a blog about the scourge of having a round face because of fat deposits.

The second link, the cartoon... I don't understand your point. The artist drew a moon-face because there was apparently a 'moon festival' on at the time. What has this got to do with anything? You posted a happy light hearted cartoon as proof of racism.

Mebh posted:

Itt moon face is not particularly racist in the grand scheme of things but could be misinterpreted mind. However you're also protesting way the gently caress too much and digging a massive hole by doing so.

Julio is a dickhead who can't read and comprehend and he came on full force so i'm doing the same. I don't really care about 'digging a hole'. I do care about being called a racist by idiots who assume intentions.

I'm not sure why I shouldn't protest. They thought they had another tintower.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's funny, because to an uninvolved party it looks like you're desperately trying to attach racist intent to him for using a not uncommon insult for a fatty. With 'evidence' that brings a whole new level to the term "reaching".

'Asians have fat faces' is definitely a thing. Cosmetic surgeons make a shitload of money out of preying on East Asians' insecurities over it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

'Asians have fat faces' is definitely a thing. Cosmetic surgeons make a shitload of money out of preying on East Asians' insecurities over it.

That's nice. So it's an insecurity. So you've decided the term 'moon-faced' which can apply to anyone from any race is a slur to them because their is an existing insecurity. So when I accuse someone of having a fat face, with a term down in Merriam-Webster, as meaning 'fat faced', I'm obviously using it as a racist slur?

That's how we got here.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

loving lol at you rushing in here (who the gently caress are you anyway) to defend this guy and the first point you make is "but insulting fat people is fine!"

If someone, out of the blue, starts trying to character assassinate you with something vile, getting flustered and over-defending yourself is pretty understandable tbh.

"out of the blue" = after getting banned for it, then dodging several people mentioning it, then when finally responding instead of taking option a) "oh sorry, I didn't know that was a slur" taking option b) "no that's not a slur I'll use it on whoever I want"

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

No sources but my own experiences, but I have absolutely heard "moon face" as a slur against Asian people in my day-to-day life.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Darth Walrus posted:

Lots of people have fat faces. Usually because they're fat. I've never come across "moon faced" as a racial pejorative, just (a mild) one aimed at fat people. It's the sort of thing your northern Nan would say if you put on weight.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
One time I called rangers fans huns and someone complained so I apologised and didn't ever post it again and everyone moved on.

Maybe take that as a learning experience.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Mate, round faces are a genetic feature that East Asian people are purported to frequently have. If you call an East Asian person “moon-faced” you are making fun of something that signifies them as other. It’s like if you called them squint-eyed and then said “anyone can squint, man!”

It’s textbook racism. Maybe one can be generous and believe it was a genuine mistake and you just Basil Fawltyed your way into accidental racism, but the first stage to convincing anyone of that is a contrite apology.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yeah ok you can't read.

I know the blog didn't mention a medical term. That was exactly why I put the link in. To explain to you what the blog was on about. It wasn't a blog about the racist term 'moon face'. It was a blog about the scourge of having a round face because of fat deposits.

pretty nice of you to decide what the blogger meant for her, and then to claim she's talking about a medical condition which she specifically doesn't mention anywhere in the blog? good thing you're here to interpret her meaning for her

Regarde Aduck posted:

The second link, the cartoon... I don't understand your point. The artist drew a moon-face because there was apparently a 'moon festival' on at the time. What has this got to do with anything? You posted a happy light hearted cartoon as proof of racism.

it's a bad artist who "knows how to draw Asian faces" drawing them as moons. since you're still not seeing it how about you try replacing it with one saying "I know how to draw black people" and a picture with huge lips, guess that's still just a lighthearted happy cartoon!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Julio is a dickhead who can't read and comprehend and he came on full force so i'm doing the same. I don't really care about 'digging a hole'. I do care about being called a racist by idiots who assume intentions.

I'm not sure why I shouldn't protest. They thought they had another tintower.

for someone who doesn't care about digging a hole you're putting a fuckload of effort into doing so

when someone says "actually don't say that it's a slur" and your response is "no gently caress you I can say whatever I want" you're acting like a garbage human hth

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Julio Cruz posted:

it's a very racist thing to say towards Asians, yes

I think there’s two things being conflated here. Moon-faced as an insult means “having a round, full face” and is not an ethnic slur; although it’s hard to imagine anyone using it after say the 1920s because it’s really archaic.

The character “Moon face” from Enid Blyton’s popular far away tree children’s books is usually drawn with a face that is a large, round yellow moon. That could be used as an ethnic slur against East Asian people if for some reason any of the better known ones didn’t occur to you I guess.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

I think there’s two things being conflated here. Moon-faced as an insult means “having a round, full face” and is not an ethnic slur; although it’s hard to imagine anyone using it after say the 1920s because it’s really archaic.

The character “Moon face” from Enid Blyton’s popular far away tree children’s books is usually drawn with a face that is a large, round yellow moon. That could be used as an ethnic slur against East Asian people if for some reason any of the better known ones didn’t occur to you I guess.

I mean there are literally multiple people on this page apart from me who are saying yes, it's used as a slur against Asians because they stereotypically have very round, flat faces

like "squinty-eyed" as an insult means "having small, narrow eyes" but like gently caress are you going to say that to an Asian. context is pretty loving key

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

loving lol at you rushing in here (who the gently caress are you anyway) to defend this guy and the first point you make is "but insulting fat people is fine!"

"out of the blue" = after getting banned for it, then dodging several people mentioning it, then when finally responding instead of taking option a) "oh sorry, I didn't know that was a slur" taking option b) "no that's not a slur I'll use it on whoever I want"

Just lol at you trying to make this a clique thing. Who the gently caress are you? Who the gently caress are any of us?

I got banned for telling someone I wanted to punch them in the balls. I didn't dodge anything. I never saw the posts. The last couple of times I read the thread I skipped to the end.

And finally, no I will not be using it on anyone. I'll never use the term ever again. Don't mistake my utter hatred of you and your lovely gaslighting as me not understanding that the term is taken as a slur by people. You might be having fun, i'm not.

It's cool that you don't think the way you came at me had anything to do with my response. Assumptions on assumptions.

For everyone other than Julio who is vile piece of poo poo: I'm sorry for using the phrase and any distress caused.

Julio Cruz posted:

context is pretty loving key

Oh my loving god. Yeah. I totally agree. And what context was I using it in Julio.

Do you know where I even learned the term? Medieval 2 total war. It was in a speech by a general talking about the French soldiers. That's your context.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 15, 2019

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I was in Seoul, global centre of the plastic surgery industry, a couple of weeks ago and my friend told me people go crazy over having small faces so that is definitely a thing; OTOH having lived in China for 11 years now I’ve not heard the expression moon-faced used as an insult.

E: or used not as an insult, come to think of it. Maybe I’m running with the wrong crowd.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 15, 2019

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Julio Cruz posted:

What the gently caress is it to you who I am? You presumptuous twat. I don't remember you getting nominated to take D&D register at any point in the last 18 years.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Julio Cruz posted:

You're being pretty loving disgusting here and maybe you should take a break from posting.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

Just lol at you trying to make this a clique thing. Who the gently caress are you? Who the gently caress are any of us?

no I'm making it a "you couldn't find anyone ITT to stan for you so you drafted in a rando from somewhere else in CSPAM to do it" thing

Regarde Aduck posted:

I got banned for telling someone I wanted to punch them in the balls. I didn't dodge anything. I never saw the posts. The last couple of times I read the thread I skipped to the end.

if you honestly believe that's what you got banned for then you're the biggest moron on the planet. there are hundreds of posts in CSPAM worse than that that don't even merit probations because they don't use racial slurs as well

Regarde Aduck posted:

And finally, no I will not be using it on anyone. I'll never use the term ever again. Don't mistake my utter hatred of you and your lovely gaslighting as me not understanding that the term is taken as a slur by people. You might be having fun, i'm not.

wait, hang on, so now you agree it's a slur? you've got a really loving weird way of showing it

Regarde Aduck posted:

Oh my loving god. Yeah. I totally agree. And what context was I using it in Julio.

to...to an Asian? like that's the reason it's racist and the reason you got banned for it?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

What the gently caress is it to you who I am? You presumptuous twat. I don't remember you getting nominated to take D&D register at any point in the last 18 years.

note I don't actually give a gently caress who you are because the fact you think fat-shaming is fine and OK automatically means you're an awful person

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Jesus christ everyone chill the gently caress out

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Unkempt posted:

You're being pretty loving disgusting here and maybe you should take a break from posting.

yeah the person not promoting fat-shaming is definitely the disgusting one

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah the person not promoting fat-shaming is definitely the disgusting one

Oh it's fat shaming now? You going to apologise for the racism accusations?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

No one gives a gently caress, chill out or take it to PMs

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
An boy in my school used to bully me in school by calling me moon face, and he was of east asian descent. I am not asian. I have not heard the term ever be used anywhere else. I don't know where this falls as evidence but hope this helps sort this out somehow.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Unkempt posted:

Oh it's fat shaming now? You going to apologise for the racism accusations?

racism accusations? all I remember accusing him of was using a racist slur, which he now seems to have admitted was the case

using a racist slur doesn't automatically make someone a racist (eg using one without knowing), and if his first response had been "my bad, I didn't know that was a slur, I'll never use it again" this whole thing would have been over in a single post

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The only time it's okay to call someone "Moon-faced" is when Londo called Vir a "moon-faced assassin of joy" in Babylon 5

Also, the loving state of this thread tonight, christ.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I mean, my take away we should all continue not saying the thing we don’t say, and be aware that some people use it as a slur.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

as good leftists we should assume good faith on the part of our comrades and, when necessary, provide admonishment in the spirit of education and personal improvement.

not whatever the gently caress happened here.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Make Bercow the PM. Keep him on as Speaker, too.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

Make Bercow the PM. Keep him on as Speaker, too.

nah. even if he's not really a Tory any more he was one for a long loving time, I'd rather have an actual socialist tbh

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

"A nonsense"?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Samovar posted:

"A nonsense"?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do you particularly dislike your job or do you just dislike how little it pays?

I dislike that it feels like I am not helping people, and I dislike that I am often bored. But it is mainly the pay thing tbh.

I'd love to work somewhere where I could eventually afford a house just by talking to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

the eternal question