Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

christ that normalisation of pedophilia is really gonna happen isnt it
It's been happening for a while by the sexualization of youth by popular media for decades, it's really only a hopscotch board away from being official.

Like it was in Victorian times.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Grooming 10 year olds being an upper-class pastime? Those days are coming back.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Remember the YouTube pedophile algorithm? Not an accident.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Grooming 10 year olds being an upper-class pastime? Those days are coming back.

coming back? remember what age Kate Moss did topless photoshoots in the 90s?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

on the bright side now that epstein isn't funding the forceful insertion of loli's in to anime it might actually become good! it won't

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im just icked out now thanks

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Dance in the Vampire Bund was a NYT bestseller.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

coming back? remember what age Kate Moss did topless photoshoots in the 90s?

brooke shields was 12 years old when she played a prostitute in pretty baby. she had nude scenes. that was in the 70s

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

that movie was played in theaters

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Zas posted:

this has some heavy volcel energy and i am here for it

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Ace of Baes posted:

Corey Feldman exposes the pedophile cabals presence in Hollywood. Barbara Walters responds plea'ing for him to stop "You're damaging an entire industry!".

https://youtu.be/rujeOqadOVQ

she’s in the black book fyi

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

inferis posted:

she’s in the black book fyi

Of course

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Spergin Morlock posted:

brooke shields was 12 years old when she played a prostitute in pretty baby. she had nude scenes. that was in the 70s

yeah. there’s also Child Bride from ‘43 that has a nude scene with a 12 year old. this poo poo goes back and back

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol Dan Schneider was producing kids shows for years and nothing ever happened

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Al! posted:

pretty hardcore strangling himself with his own hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SXHp42HGUA

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Shipon posted:

How do the existence of things like IRAs and 401ks work with this analysis? I know this is the *crack ping* thread but to really think about it, aren't tax-advantage investment portfolios basically forcing people to become their own oppressors in some small way

there are a group of people commonly referred to as the upper-middle class, the professional class, the professional-managerial class etc. these people reproduce their existence, primarily, year after year, by selling their labor-power. so, in this respect, they are similar to the proletariat of classical marxist theory. however, through a combination of acquiring skills which increase their productivity, and opportunity hoarding (everything from credentialism, to home owners controlling zoning laws, to how schools are financed, to racism and sexism), they earn a significant wage premium over other people who work for a living. the portion of this wage premium that comes from opportunity hoarding directly corresponds to disadvantaged faced by others.

from what i've said so far, we can conclude that they're like the proletariat, as it's typically conceived, in some fundamental respects: they have to sell their labor for a living (or at least that's the source of most of their income) and they're exploited by the capitalist class.

they're unlike the proletariat, as it's typically conceived, in that they have the ability to increase their wages through opportunity hoarding, and that they generally enjoy a level of job stability, working conditions, wages etc. that other members of the class don't.

there's another aspect to this, that of domination. when defined by social scientists, domination usually means something like 'the ability to control the activities of others.' to give an example, your salary-earning manager might be exploited just like the worker they manage, but they exercise domination over that worker. of course, they too take orders from higher up, meaning they both inflict and suffer from domination. there are also cases where, because of the supply for a professional-managerial class worker's skills/credentials is mucher lower than that demanded, they have significant bargaining power and autonomy with regard to their working conditions. so, even if they don't manage/dominate people themselves--think of a computer programmer, for instance--they still occupy that's distinct from the working class as defined by classical marxist analysis.

overall, you can say that their interests, as a class, are pulled in different directions: towards the broader working class in some respects, and towards the capitalist class in others. they also have their own interests that don't really correspond to either the proletariat's or the capitalists' interests; that, plus the fact that they have more resources than other workers, means that they'll often form their own class organizations/interest groups/whatever separate from the other two. but, because of their relative lack of power and size, they usually have to join in a coalition with either the capitalists or (certain sections of) the working class.

now, to your question: how do IRAs and 401ks fit into this picture? the people who actually have money to put in to them, yet are still dependent on their performance, is the professional-managerial class i've been talking about. by tying these workers' fortunes and futures to that of the market, 401ks and IRAs functionally shift the interests of the professional-managerial class closer to that of capital. based on what i know about how those programs started, this wasn't the intention of its creators or the legislators that signed them into law, poo poo just worked out that way. so yes, they could be described as making this strata of workers complicit in their own exploitation, since it disincentives them from forming coalitions with the rest of the working class to overthrow capitalism, which is the only way the end their exploitation.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

yeah. there’s also Child Bride from ‘43 that has a nude scene with a 12 year old. this poo poo goes back and back

you're telling me we don't live in a uniquely depraved age? :monocle:

brb calling stephen pinker

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Calibanibal posted:

The Jeffery Epstein hyoid bone is impacted by the **Polyester Bedsheet** and the injured part explodes into gore!
The Jeffrey Epstein screams out "Death is all around me! I feel nothing!"
Jeffery Epstein gives in to pain.
Jeffery Epstein has been struck down.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just realized Citations Needed is on hiatus

I wonder if they'll have a media criticism take on this

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ah wouldn't you know it. Borgerson's mansion where Ghislaine is alleged to have lived in is also an oceanfront property.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/301-Summer-St_Manchester_MA_01944_M30449-11489

Very convenient that Ghislaine Maxwell's boyfriend, who owns a shipping company, also was educated where he could learn how the Coast Guard interdicts cargo, and went to a law school. :thunk:

i'd like to make one minor clarification. borgerson's company doesn't do any actual shipping, it deals in shipping analytics and data.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Socks4Hands posted:

i'd like to make one minor clarification. borgerson's company doesn't do any actual shipping, it deals in shipping analytics and data.

i can imagine a few ways that their risk management section would be helpful for groups that are shipping human cargo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I need drone video of jizz max to confirm she is alive.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Finicums Wake posted:

there are a group of people commonly referred to as the upper-middle class, the professional class, the professional-managerial class etc. these people reproduce their existence, primarily, year after year, by selling their labor-power. so, in this respect, they are similar to the proletariat of classical marxist theory. however, through a combination of acquiring skills which increase their productivity, and opportunity hoarding (everything from credentialism, to home owners controlling zoning laws, to how schools are financed, to racism and sexism), they earn a significant wage premium over other people who work for a living. the portion of this wage premium that comes from opportunity hoarding directly corresponds to disadvantaged faced by others.

from what i've said so far, we can conclude that they're like the proletariat, as it's typically conceived, in some fundamental respects: they have to sell their labor for a living (or at least that's the source of most of their income) and they're exploited by the capitalist class.

they're unlike the proletariat, as it's typically conceived, in that they have the ability to increase their wages through opportunity hoarding, and that they generally enjoy a level of job stability, working conditions, wages etc. that other members of the class don't.

there's another aspect to this, that of domination. when defined by social scientists, domination usually means something like 'the ability to control the activities of others.' to give an example, your salary-earning manager might be exploited just like the worker they manage, but they exercise domination over that worker. of course, they too take orders from higher up, meaning they both inflict and suffer from domination. there are also cases where, because of the supply for a professional-managerial class worker's skills/credentials is mucher lower than that demanded, they have significant bargaining power and autonomy with regard to their working conditions. so, even if they don't manage/dominate people themselves--think of a computer programmer, for instance--they still occupy that's distinct from the working class as defined by classical marxist analysis.

overall, you can say that their interests, as a class, are pulled in different directions: towards the broader working class in some respects, and towards the capitalist class in others. they also have their own interests that don't really correspond to either the proletariat's or the capitalists' interests; that, plus the fact that they have more resources than other workers, means that they'll often form their own class organizations/interest groups/whatever separate from the other two. but, because of their relative lack of power and size, they usually have to join in a coalition with either the capitalists or (certain sections of) the working class.

now, to your question: how do IRAs and 401ks fit into this picture? the people who actually have money to put in to them, yet are still dependent on their performance, is the professional-managerial class i've been talking about. by tying these workers' fortunes and futures to that of the market, 401ks and IRAs functionally shift the interests of the professional-managerial class closer to that of capital. based on what i know about how those programs started, this wasn't the intention of its creators or the legislators that signed them into law, poo poo just worked out that way. so yes, they could be described as making this strata of workers complicit in their own exploitation, since it disincentives them from forming coalitions with the rest of the working class to overthrow capitalism, which is the only way the end their exploitation.

excellent write-up. does this mean that to retire you pretty much have to give in and accept that you will be a traitor to your own class?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Shipon posted:

excellent write-up. does this mean that to retire you pretty much have to give in and accept that you will be a traitor to your own class?

Yes. Any kind of robust retirement plan means that you're earning an allowance paid out by dividends from the market.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Imagining Aatrek's opinion on a billionaire pedophile getting caught

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

If anything people are getting way less okay with pedophilia, it's solidly in the nah son category of things when it reeeeaaaaally wasn't for most of human history.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yes. Any kind of robust retirement plan means that you're earning an allowance paid out by dividends from the market.

even pensions now lol

we're all wallowing in the poo poo

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Totally. Half of us have chomo grandpas who came back from the war in their 30s and married 16 year olds. Totally not the case so much now.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

https://www.breitbart.com/radio/2019/08/14/virgin-islands-sen-evidence-epstein-estate-may-be-lost/

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

I still lol at immediate post-death reaction by D&D posters saying people who've determined to commit suicide are often in a good mood

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I've got full Epstein brain but breitbart is still a bridge too far.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

Yup. You might think of the maintenance of (if not also the creation of) the middle-class (or even just specifically the professional class) as a project by capitalists to create a section of the population that is paid just highly enough for their interests to align with that of the capitalists, in order that they can have some semblance of legitimacy in a nominal democracy.

That is, between gerrymandering, voter suppression and low voter participation, the capitalists are still just going to amount to maybe 10% of the electorate, if you're lucky. But throw in the professional class in there, and you can get up to maybe 25 to 30% of the electorate, and if you're also running something like a First-Past-the-Post system, or the electoral college, that's enough for you to win elections and make it seem like you have a Mandate From The People.

However, the maintenance of the middle-class still requires "welfare" that has to be provided either by the government or by private interests, and that's money that's still coming out of the pockets of the capitalists, and we might think of the arc of post-war politics as first having jettisoned the working class because the capitalists didn't want to pay for it anymore, and now even they don't even want to pay for the middle-class anymore, and that's stressing the system beyond the ability of it to remain stable. It's losing its legitimacy now.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

can we just take a moment to once more appreciate that jim acosta said epstein was intelligence connected and afaik absolutely none of the big outlets have expressed any interest in chasing this up

I googled this and holy :lol:

Siljmonster posted:

The Jeffery Epstein hyoid bone is impacted by the **Polyester Bedsheet** and the injured part explodes into gore!
The Jeffrey Epstein screams out "Death is all around me! I feel nothing!"
Jeffery Epstein gives in to pain.
Jeffery Epstein has been struck down.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

you're telling me we don't live in a uniquely depraved age? :monocle:

brb calling stephen pinker

i dont know if its to be contrarian or what but its pretty common on the left to pretend ancient greece isnt representative of human history with all their fascism misogyny and child rape

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

I googled this and holy :lol:

Yeah it's all just real and we're being allowed to see it for a minute

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
this is way longer than i intended it to be, prob vbecause i'm drunk, and it's tangential to the epstein stuff. but i spent the time typing so plz don't delete, MODS

Shipon posted:

ultimately, i'm not entirely sure. i'd have to read more and think about it. and what i do know paints a complicated picture. in my view you have to look at classes as being composed of a variety of different occupations which have just congealed into a class, and then look at all of this as changing over time. after such an analysis, it starts to look like it'll be in the interests of some parts of the PMC to align with the broader working class, if only because they're being assimilated into it. other parts of the PMC are being bound closer and closer to capital, effectively merging with it. and then there's a part of the PMC which isn't really being pulled in either direction. so, thinking strategically, whether any given member of the PMC ought to just 'give in' really depends.

i'll try and illustrate what i mean with examples from two different occupations, comparing their situation during the post-war keynesian "golden age of capitalism" period with our current, post-crash neoliberal reality.

COLLEGE PROFESSORS
--------------------------------------------------
1.a: consider someone with a PhD from a reasonably reputable school in, say, the 1960s. they can reasonably expect to look forward to a tenure-track job (and probably tenure), autonomy over their working conditions, and pay consistent with their having acquired skills/credentials etc

1.b: now consider someone with a PhD from a reasonably reputable school in the 2010s.

whether they have any reasonable chance at being hired for a tenure-track job is heavily dependent on their field. even in fields where there's a demand for tenure-track professors with such credentials, attaining tenure is a hell of a lot more challenging. on top of that, those in the right fields who land the right jobs will have considerably less autonomy over working conditions due to the increasing corporatization of the university, the rise in number and power of a layer of administrators and bureaucrats, all exacerbating by new financial constraints.

if they don't have a PhD from the right field, or they're just unlucky with their job search, they'll either end up as non-tenure track professors or, in many many cases, as adjuncts. as non-tenure track professors, they'll 'enjoy' wages far less than their 1960's era counterparts, have far less job security, and probably have less workplace autonomy than their tenure-track colleagues. if they end up an adjunct, they'll earn working-class wages (often not even getting health benefits), have little-to-no job security, and might even have to work multiple jobs (teaching a few classes at this university, and a few at another) just to make rent.

1.conclusion: a PhD holder, even from a reasonably reputable school, has incontrovertibly been drifting towards proletarianization. No one would deny that such people were among the professional-managerial class in the post-war era, and they enjoyed the benefits that come from being a member of that class. Today, while they're still considered 'professionals,' many don't get those benefits, and even those that do are in a more precarious position.

(note: my post is getting insanely long, and it''s off topic and i'm drunk. what follows is even more of a gloss than the above):

FINANCE PROFESSIONALS
--------------------------------------------------
2.a: consider a person employeed in finance in, say, the 1960s. having skills/credentials, they could look forward to higher wages, better job stability, and some degree of autonomy in the workplace (at least compared to, say, an uncredentialled factory worker). at the time, finance was considered one of the boring white-collar business professions. it was sometimes compared to the plumbing of the economy (economists were also compared to plumbers iirc). so, while it was a respectable, stable job that paid a good salary, they were around the middle income-strata of the PMC.

2.b: finance today is insanely different from what i just described. it's not a humdrum profession anymore: movies like wall street, or wolf of wall street, reflect that fact. finance professionals not only enjoy higher salaries, but huge bonuses and stock-options which tie their overall level of income more closely to corporate profits. and, with that much extra income, they even have the chance of becoming full blown capitalists themselves, through investing or starting companies or whatever. on top of that, finance is an occupation which seems to help people move into either C-level positions, granting them control of the means of production, or leave for other lucrative and powerful occupations (e.g. goldman sachs employees routinely end up in powerful political positions).

2.conclusion: finance workers were run of the mill PMC members in the post-war keynesian era. today, they seem to have one foot in the professional class, and another in the capitalist class, with some actually ascending to the capitalist class themselves.

so, the question of whether a worker considered 'professional class' should throw their lot in with the wider working class in hopes of overturning the system, or ally with the capitalists at the proletariat's expense ("give in," as you said) depends.

for some PMC members, e.g. many (most?) college professors, it's probably better to do the former. for other PMC members, e.g. finance people, probably the latter. and then there are people whose occupation designates them as PMC, but hasn't been pulled in either direction all that much. what should those people do? assuming you're asking for self-interested, strategic advice: i honestly don't know. i'd have to read more poo poo to have an inkling of a clue. so, in conclusion, :shrug:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
This thread broke my brain and now I'm a communist.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
how does the PMC link to epstein? well, virtually all of his enablers, or people tasked with covering his tracks, will be members of that class. sure, they're just taking orders or getting paid, but this kind of poo poo would be impossible without them contributing here and there, being willing to look the other way, etc. viewed from the perspective of "who is complicit?" the rot is insanely widespread. like, think of every lawyer and politican and so on that's shown up already. hell, even that guy from the sacha baron cohen clip who played dumb selling the yachts is, in all likelyhood, a member of this class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Anidav posted:

This thread broke my brain and now I'm a communist.
communism is the fixed brain state