Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Acoustically, carpet is better.

I think that's really all I can think of as a benefit over hard floors.

I have a rug in my living and bedrooms so that I have a nice socks pad in our chill rooms.

It's also like 1/3 the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

If we're playing this game, can we include things found under a fitted carpet?

I found a used condom under my bedroom carpet and I am still purplexed why. Were they laying the new carpet, saw the old condom and thought 'shall we get rid of that? Nah, why bother?' Or was the act of laying the carpet so erotically charged that they had to give into their passion there and then?

“I’m not touching that, let’s just cover it up”

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

crazypeltast52 posted:

That still doesn't clarify which of the two proposed scenarios is correct

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Shut up Meg posted:

If we're playing this game, can we include things found under a fitted carpet?

I found a used condom under my bedroom carpet and I am still purplexed why. Were they laying the new carpet, saw the old condom and thought 'shall we get rid of that? Nah, why bother?' Or was the act of laying the carpet so erotically charged that they had to give into their passion there and then?

They took a break from laying carpet to lay some carpet. Don't judge.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shut up Meg posted:

Switching to hardwood, I often moan that I'm having to sweep the floors every few days - they seem to get dirtier much faster than carpets.

Then I realise that there is the same amount of dirt, you just don't see it so well on the carpets and it's ground-in instead.

Two words: robot vacuum

We run ours daily (on hardwood) for about an hour, and the floors always look great.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I've literally never looked at a carpeted floor and thought "Wow this place looks classy/nice/expensive". Carpet is gross and has no advantages over hardwood that couldn't be solved with a rug/slippers.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

TheMadMilkman posted:

It's even simpler then that. They didn't want to look poor. Buying a tract home post-WW2 and not installing wall-to-wall carpeting immediately implied that you were a not middle class.

Source: Every old person I've talked to ever.

I agree with that, different pages of the same book, it's kinda the same point I was going for, what we think of as a high quality floor was the mandated minimum quality so anything above that has a higher perceived value. I was told it was created otherwise developers would sell dirt floors but probably it would just be pine or cedar and it would wear down.

You lead me into reading the history of the carpet industry and it went gangbusters in the late 50s with the invention of the right synthetic fibers. Like, 6 million yards in 1951 to 113 million in 1960.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
When I was a kid, my uncle's house had carpet in the bathroom and linoleum in the kitchen. My grandpa's house had carpet in the kitchen and linoleum in the bathroom. :crossarms:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm going to carpet only my showers just to spite you all.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I think carpets in the shower is not a bad idea.

As long as you rinsed them off after each shower and let them dry and they were mouldproof.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jaded Burnout posted:

https://i.imgur.com/MmhSPux.mp4

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man I always think that looks legit super nice but you'll basically have to throw that entire room away.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yeah, it'd be nice exactly once

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man I always think that looks legit super nice but you'll basically have to throw that entire room away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0y3h07q5ZI&t=264s

And, yes, this is just the Happy Cow thing, but for people.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 15, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0y3h07q5ZI&t=264s

And, yes, this is just the Happy Cow thing, but for people.

Is that soundtrack a knockoff eric clapton song?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

What an intriguing mix of the cool (the whiteboard), the obviously fake (the bench) and the loving useless (the pen and the clothes cleaner)

E: I am in two minds about the kid's choking thingy. Obviously keeping kids alive is a good thing, but if they swallow toys so often that you have to purchase a device to solve the issue, maybe they aren't destined for great things anyway.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Whoever invented that bench with the spikes needs to be strapped top it while they raise up through their body.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The bench was an ~art project~ but I swear it's also real somewhere else but good luck finding pictures that aren't of the art installation.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Growing up, my cousin's house had carpet in their bathroom... Except it wasn't just on the floor.. it was also halfway up the wall. Carpet wainscoting basically. And it was vomit green. It was terrible.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

While house shopping ten years ago we looked at an exceedingly well built house in a nice neighborhood that had carpet EVERYWHERE. And by everywhere I mean not only wall to wall in every room including the orange kitchen and lime green bathrooms, but it was even on the ceiling in several rooms. Bedrooms and living room had these large, like 2'x6' wood framed panels of carpet up on the ceilings. Also the owner was murdered by her adult son inside the home.

Our asking-price offer was not accepted, and we decided not to get in a bidding war over the carpet murder house.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Enos Cabell posted:

Bedrooms and living room had these large, like 2'x6' wood framed panels of carpet up on the ceilings. Also the owner was murdered by her adult son inside the home.

Driven insane by the wall carpet mold.

I like low pile, thick padded carpet in a bedroom, it's just quieter. Get a carpet steamer, run it over the high traffic areas once a month, takes like 15 minutes.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

crazypeltast52 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMUJI7dKbOo
(In German, sorry.)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Enos Cabell posted:

While house shopping ten years ago we looked at an exceedingly well built house in a nice neighborhood that had carpet EVERYWHERE. And by everywhere I mean not only wall to wall in every room including the orange kitchen and lime green bathrooms, but it was even on the ceiling in several rooms. Bedrooms and living room had these large, like 2'x6' wood framed panels of carpet up on the ceilings. Also the owner was murdered by her adult son inside the home.

Our asking-price offer was not accepted, and

DIY › Crappy Construction Tales: we decided not to get in a bidding war over the carpet murder house.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shut up Meg posted:

What an intriguing mix of the cool (the whiteboard), the obviously fake (the bench) and the loving useless (the pen and the clothes cleaner)

Isn't it just?

I subscribe to a bunch of channels that are basically just expensive versions of "As Seen On TV!" for cashed up idiots.

Guarantees at least a couple minutes of enterntainment as I jump through the video.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

What's living in the Carter administration like?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I haven't seen those gallon jugs of Wilcoxsons in YEARS. Mostly because I moved from Montana a decade ago and don't know anyone who eats ice cream by the bucket.

Edit: Minor kitchen issues I hate, ranked.
Kitchen carpet
Carpet on a vertical surface
Missing linoleum edge
lovely aerator
Missing outlet faceplate
Above cabinet posts

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 16, 2019

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

mycomancy posted:

What's living in the Carter administration like?

As a 52-year-old man that remembers that, it's bizarre toI think bad to a time when we had a competent naval sub captain In charge who are the best interested in country and hard, even if he kind of hosed up some things. Sorry for the politics derail. The non-politics part was our taste in kitchens looked just like this bullshit so gently caress that.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Why the Braille on the cabinet?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Burt Sexual posted:

Blind people need wall words too.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Stove mirror.

e:
nope, just an identical gallon jug of ice cream.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bacon Taco posted:

As a 52-year-old man that remembers that, it's bizarre toI think bad to a time when we had a competent naval sub captain In charge who are the best interested in country and hard, even if he kind of hosed up some things. Sorry for the politics derail. The non-politics part was our taste in kitchens looked just like this bullshit so gently caress that.

Sir, this is a Shoney's.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Burt Sexual posted:

The owners went blind after having to look at their fugly house for so many years
Purple and pink siding is the best thing about it tbh

lol they clearly had to rip out the carpet in the bathroom due to water damage

but it does come with a matching 3-car garage

The house was built in 1930 so at least there's hardwood floors preserved under all that carpet. Too bad about the rest of the 60s "remodel".

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 16, 2019

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i can smell that house from here

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

their fugly house

Love that show

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

this is violence

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Burt Sexual posted:

My guess is there was a phone stuck to the cabinets at some point. Note the phone jack near the floor. Maybe it fell off and got "reattached" 3 times?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Is that a red and yellow hallway peeking in that door? :stare:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
123k for a shithole in Montana, really? Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Youth Decay posted:

The owners went blind after having to look at their fugly house for so many years
Purple and pink siding is the best thing about it tbh

lol they clearly had to rip out the carpet in the bathroom due to water damage

but it does come with a matching 3-car garage

The house was built in 1930 so at least there's hardwood floors preserved under all that carpet. Too bad about the rest of the 60s "remodel".

Jesus, that house is fugly, the neighborhood is fugly, and you're out in the middle of BFN