Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What am I missing about NXT UK? It's a good show with good matches and storylines. Why all the hate?

I don't hate it, in fact when I watch it I enjoy it, but there's already too much WWE stuff in a week, I have to make an effort even to watch NXT let alone NXT UK (or poor 205 Live).

Edit: That said, the UK scene was apparently really picking up steam when WWE came in and announced a UK division, and there were plenty of people who warned that this was just going to be a repeat of when Vince finished off the territories by buddying-up and then poaching all the talent, breaking agreements to let them work in other places and letting the pre-existing promotions shrivel and die. At least a couple of the UK guys went out of their way at the time to say that WWE being there was to everybody's benefit and anybody who claimed otherwise was being paranoid or had a bug up their rear end about WWE. Then WWE started changing up the agreements they'd made to let wrestlers work in other places and pre-existing promotions had a struggle to keep from shriveling and dying.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

What am I missing about NXT UK? It's a good show with good matches and storylines. Why all the hate?

A board meme really. NXT UK wrestlers are bad because they defend the company that feeds them and their family publicly. Something that has been standard practice for wrestlers and workers generally for decades across numerous companies and Countries.

The main NXT UK wrestlers do seem to suffer from a guilty conscience over leaving the indies they helped build for a large multinational company.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I find WALTER interesting in that if I recall correctly he only agreed to sign with WWE on the proviso that he would ONLY be on NXT UK and he wouldn't have to go to America and work there, right?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I find WALTER interesting in that if I recall correctly he only agreed to sign with WWE on the proviso that he would ONLY be on NXT UK and he wouldn't have to go to America and work there, right?

Yes. As he wants to continue to build Wrestling in Germany and surrounding areas via wXw. He had leverage. A key guy in Germany, a great wrestler and New Japan badly wanted him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WALTER vs. Ishii :stare:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Wrestlers with names in all caps are automatically cool for me (except for maybe YOSHI-HASHI).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s always kinda funny to me that you might get a match that’s Will Ospreay and YOSHI-HASHI vs Lance Archer and ZSJ, and the one Japanese dude is the only person whose name is displayed in Roman lettering. Like I get why, but it’s still kinda funny

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NXT UK only exists because WWE got scared about World of Sport suddenly being viable opposition to them with it getting a Saturday teatime slot on the second most watched TV channel in the UK. So they start signing up a huge number of the UK indie talent, WoS didn't happen and suddenly NXT UK goes on the back burner. Then it eventually does happen and so does NXT UK, what a coincidence, and over time we've gone from having a hot scene where every part of the country had a promotion they could go watch live to one where "oh, you can use our guys, it's fine. Except you can't do TV for anyone." becomes "you can use our guys but not two weeks before one of our tapings in case they get hurt." becomes "you can use our guys but you can't put them on your on demand service" to eventually "nah mate, gently caress off, we're just strangling this scene".

Pete Dunne is a good example here, in 2016 he worked 144 dates (including Rev Pro matches against Ishii & Nagata, PWG, WXW), 2017 is his first year under WWE contract but he keeps up his work level, 146 shows, obviously he's in the WWE UK Championship tournament, works 4 dates over Wrestlemania, he does a couple of WWE tours in the UK and a short NXT tour here, and then at the end of the year he gets a month on the road in the US. But he's still doing a few Rev Pro dates along with Progress, OTT, ICW, Fight Club Pro, Attack & a bunch of smaller groups. He's active, he's getting better and frankly his profile has been raised by WWE, it's good for the scene.

2018, his dates are down to 116. And 8 months through 2019 he's down 27. A match in Spain co-promoted by FCP & White Wolf & 1 match each for OTT, Progress, & Destiny. 1 match in Ireland, 1 in the UK, 1 in Canada. But fair enough, Pete Dunne is mostly a US based guy.

Contrary to rovert's silliness, it's not really against the wrestlers themselves. It's their job, they have to make a living, WWE was offering them security you'd never have as an indie guy and also WWE is wrestling to guys of that generation so of course it's their dream come true. I could do without the corporate bootlicking & the tweets trying to convince themselves that actually this has been a net positive for BritWres as it visibly stagnates & shrinks but eh, nobody is looking to wrestlers for intelligent takes on anything except wrestling. It's entirely the way WWE created NXT UK not because it was something they believed in or anything like that but because they wanted to sign all the wrestlers in the scene they could to snuff out even the idea of potential of competition before it began. And the fact that no one who saw the WoS New Years special and realised "oh, this is just some pisspoor imitation of the WWE but without any stars, why would anyone watch this, we already get Impact?" didn't stop the WWE makes it worse to me. i remember the days before the scene got hot. I remember going to the Inverness Ice Rink to see some show with UK Undertaker on it or whatever the gently caress and it was so unbelievably tragic. About the only place that ran often enough so guys could actually get good was Brian Dixon's holiday camp shows, it's amazing that someone like Doug Williams got as good as he did before he started doing the NOAH tours. I really don't want to see BritWres back in that place, or even the early 2000s place where you had a couple of bigger names like FWA & 1PW where guys get to work regularly and get experience against foreigners but both promotions were kinda terribly run.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

forkboy84 posted:

uk scene stuff

Basically this nxt uk is run as a spite promotion they've had two takeover events and the second was poorly thought out and just run against the new japan show in london based on bad info on ticket sales.

Those guys have security pay wise so you cannot fault them but yeah the scene isn't as good as it was Rev Pro maybe doing the best as they were smart enough to buddy to new japan. I remember those fake wwe wrestler shows coming to my local leisure centre too and going to 1pw events when that was about as good as it got in the uk.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jerusalem posted:

WALTER vs. Ishii :stare:
RevPro Summer Sizzler 2018

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
We'll always have International Showdown from 2005 :britain:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Contrary to rovert's silliness, it's not really against the wrestlers themselves.

Except for all the times it is including the post that started this.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

rovert posted:

A board meme really. NXT UK wrestlers are bad because they defend the company that feeds them and their family publicly. Something that has been standard practice for wrestlers and workers generally for decades across numerous companies and Countries.

The main NXT UK wrestlers do seem to suffer from a guilty conscience over leaving the indies they helped build for a large multinational company.

They're bad because they got to the top of the heap, make more money then most other UK wrestlers, and then have the gall to tell everyone who's not making money that actually the NXT UK guys making more money and killing the independent UK scene is good for everyone.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aphrodite posted:

Except for all the times it is including the post that started this.

I don't want to shock you but I can only talk for myself. I was explaining my own disinterest/cynicism towards NXT UK.

And telling people that NXT UK has been good for BritWres at large is loving garbage. And it's understandable why someone would take issue with someone making barefaced lies like that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The actual wrestling is good. Everyone in it deserves to be there, it's just dumb that they're trying to convince everyone that them being at the top of the heap is good for the entire scene when it really isn't.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nxt uk is a spin-off minor league of a minor league of the worst wrestling promotion on earth so irrelevant of whether 'its good' it is totally meaningless

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it's like NFL Europe only if nobody liked the NFL and if the minor league had the secondary effect of driving a bunch of soccer clubs out of business

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

it's like NFL Europe only if nobody liked the NFL and if the minor league had the secondary effect of driving a bunch of soccer clubs out of business

This sounds more like an argument for.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

nxt uk is a spin-off minor league of a minor league of the worst wrestling promotion on earth so irrelevant of whether 'its good' it is totally meaningless

How is it meaningless if it's entertaining TV? Isn't that the point of wrestling?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i don't accept the premise but i'm sure nfl europe had some very competitive games

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What are some of the most overused words and phrases in wrestling promos? I feel like "The fact of the matter is..." has to be in the top five, especially when it comes to Triple H.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Super No Vacancy posted:

i don't accept the premise but i'm sure nfl europe had some very competitive games

the rhein fire had some fucken sweet uniforms at least

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What are some of the most overused words and phrases in wrestling promos? I feel like "The fact of the matter is..." has to be in the top five, especially when it comes to Triple H.

"You see" is the thigh slap of WWE promos. Once you know it's there you can't stop noticing its prevalence.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

The Mcmahons love "quite frankly" both in and out of promos, especially Vince.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

An Actual Bear posted:

It's probable that one of the last five movies Vince has seen was Gone with the Wind.

He's just waiting for a Clark Gable to come along and take his company to the stratosphere.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

semi-related but commentators always saying "the butt cheeks of CM Punk" instead of "CM Punk's butt cheeks"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

An Actual Bear posted:

Also, "Then, from there", usually when recapping something bad that happened to the McMahons

Vince used to do this as an announcer, kept doing it after Mr.McMahon became a thing

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Lemme tell ya somethin

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

jesus WEP posted:

semi-related but commentators always saying "the butt cheeks of CM Punk" instead of "CM Punk's butt cheeks"

What?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
"each and every"
"make(ing) a statement"

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
see here's the thing, the thing is

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

it's really obvious that a lot of these are filler words while you're trying to remember your lines

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

commentators almost never use the possessive. they'd rather say "the knee of KENTA just crushed the face of Shibata" instead of "KENTA's knee just crushed Shibata's face"

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
how about we don't wait until [event]? how about we settle things right here, right now

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

RETRIBUTION

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

"I'm a fighting champion"-Every face champion

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

jesus WEP posted:

commentators almost never use the possessive. they'd rather say "the knee of KENTA just crushed the face of Shibata" instead of "KENTA's knee just crushed Shibata's face"

Oh, I thought I missed an entire storyline about CM Punk's buttcheeks.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Oh, I thought I missed an entire storyline about CM Punk's buttcheeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31EAOmQK1ts

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Yeah, that's the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
EACH and every one of you