Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Canna Happy posted:

You could pull it all out and slap it in a larger case. The 4770 is going to be a lot faster than that Xeon you linked.

I’m probably just gonna bite the bullet and build a rig, I wanted to do it super cheap and easy and clearly I’d be compromising on too much to have a good time with it. That desktop is getting some use as a dedicated WoW machine for my wife since her MacBook Pro is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I honestly regret not keeping up on PC stuff enough that I feel out of my element for what’s a good PC these days. So I’ll probably put a PC part picker thing together and ask for more advice as I go!

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Need recomendat6ion for a usb c 3.1 hub with at least 20" cable and one or two c ports on the hub itself.

So far i can find short ones for laptops, or ones with long cable and A ports on the business end.

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
Well im looking to upgrade to a ryzen 3600 system in about 6 months but im getting tired of the lack of space on my 256gb ssd! Im planning on getting a nvme ssd for that system. My main question is simply will a nvme work with my current mobo. To my understanding it should but just run slower than the advertised speed since its only a gen 2. Or am i way off on this? My current mobo is this

Looking at this ssd

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Out of curiosity, is Windows Boot Manager supposed to be the first in the load order? Seems like my initial post time takes quite a bit at around 30 seconds or so.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

grimcreaper posted:

Out of curiosity, is Windows Boot Manager supposed to be the first in the load order? Seems like my initial post time takes quite a bit at around 30 seconds or so.
Boot times are really slow and motherboard updates should eventually fix it.

To speed up boot times you can enable fast boot in the bios and manually set RAM timings and subtimings. But, setting that stuff is real tedious. You can view what it automatically does in Ryzen Master Utility from Windows, or you can try to overclock with the Ryzen DRAM Calculator.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 14, 2019

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Khorne posted:

Boot times are really slow and motherboard updates should eventually fix it.

To speed up boot times you can enable fast boot in the bios and manually set RAM timings and subtimings. But, setting that stuff is real tedious. You can view what it automatically does in Ryzen Master Utility from Windows, or you can try to overclock with the Ryzen DRAM Calculator.

Awesome thanks for the info, glad I hadn't done something stupid.

From post to windows in about 4 to 5 seconds is really nice with nvme though.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

What country are you in? - UK
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? - Gaming (lots of MMO's while also browsing on 2nd monitor), programming work
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. up to 2 grand easily, I know even what i'm at is probably overkill
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? 1440p Gsync monitor, High/Ultra graphics at 60-100FPS

Just wanted a sanity check on the below build, especially toing and froing about the memory as I know you can do a lot of tuning apparently with Ryzen

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£314.95 @ AWD-IT)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£78.26 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£179.97 @ Box Limited)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (£116.59 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£141.99 @ Box Limited)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£141.99 @ Box Limited)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card (£599.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.45 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS SGX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (£129.95 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM 120 mm Fan (£20.47 @ CCL Computers)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan (£21.48 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1866.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-14 13:53 BST+0100

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Here I am trying to avoid settling on a single color theme but god drat if black chrome and royal blue don't look loving spiffy as hell

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ak Gara posted:

Here I am trying to avoid settling on a single color theme but god drat if black chrome and royal blue don't look loving spiffy as hell

Can you find some gold stuff to stick in it? Black, blue and gold would be very cool, I think.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Can you find some gold stuff to stick in it? Black, blue and gold would be very cool, I think.

Annoyingly I can only find 2 parts that have the black chrome / royal blue mix. The multi link fitting and the multi link 90. I can't find the 90 rotary.
Their True Brass looks good, even better when mixed with their Carbon Black.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Stormgale posted:

What country are you in? - UK
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? - Gaming (lots of MMO's while also browsing on 2nd monitor), programming work
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. up to 2 grand easily, I know even what i'm at is probably overkill
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? 1440p Gsync monitor, High/Ultra graphics at 60-100FPS

Just wanted a sanity check on the below build, especially toing and froing about the memory as I know you can do a lot of tuning apparently with Ryzen

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£314.95 @ AWD-IT)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£78.26 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£179.97 @ Box Limited)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (£116.59 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card (£599.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.45 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS SGX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (£129.95 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1866.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-14 13:53 BST+0100

Any reason you've gone for an SFX PSU? Seems unnecessarily expensive in that size of case.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ak Gara posted:

Annoyingly I can only find 2 parts that have the black chrome / royal blue mix. The multi link fitting and the multi link 90. I can't find the 90 rotary.
Their True Brass looks good, even better when mixed with their Carbon Black.

Black and gold fittings with blue fluid?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Any reason you've gone for an SFX PSU? Seems unnecessarily expensive in that size of case.

That was probably actually a misclick, I was looking for the seasonic gold 650w and I must have grabbed that one instead of the ATX, thanks

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Black and gold fittings with blue fluid?

One of the reasons I've been trying to avoid tying myself to a single color theme is I plan on using colorless liquid to let my DRGB reflect through them. Otherwise I'd go black chrome tubing.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Please post here when you are done. It seems like that build is going to look amazing.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Gaming, with some light video editing
What's your budget? Trying to keep it <=$1000
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Currently 1080p High, aiming to make this a 4K 60FPS high build with a new GPU in a future upgrade

So I'm still rocking a rapidly aging Intel 2500K build and stuff is starting to break down (I had a stick of RAM start to fail last month for example).
Since this one has served me well for 8+ years I'm hoping this new build will do the same. I'm mostly looking to see if this all makes sense or if I need to revisit anything.
I also don't know how good the AMD Wraith Spire cooler that comes with the current Ryzen chips is. Is it good enough for light/moderate OC or do I need to get a new fan?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($348.74 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.54 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($186.08 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Crucial Ballistix Elite 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($158.98 @ Adorama)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($240.73 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($91.12 @ Walmart)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card (Carried over from existing build- planning to hold GPU upgrade until the next Nvidia generation comes out and hopefully makes 4K 60FPS possible at something less than the top tier.)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Carried over from existing build)
Total: $1089.19
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-14 16:18 EDT-0400

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

So my buddy with the bad 5700xt is ready to move on, but isn't interested in picking up an aib model. Right now he's looking at an 2070S FE, as it's the only one he can find at $500. Any reason not to go with that / anything else to consider? Targeting 1440/144, paired with a 3600. He's not especially price sensitive (though not willing to go much above $500) but I can't stand the idea of not getting a good deal.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

macnbc posted:

What's your budget? Trying to keep it <=$1000
Get the Inland 1tb NvME deive and you'll knock $120 off of that price.

The bundled Wraith is good enough. The Noctua should be quieter and keep your temps down a little more, but you won't melt through your case if you stick with the Wraith.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Man this new PC build has been so frustrating. If anyone recalls, I was having problems with my new build constantly locking up if I didn't have "GaMeR MoDe" turned on in the BIOS. It was suspected it was my RAM or my Windows install but after a month of troubleshooting I determined I had a bum motherboard. I received my new Gigabyte motherboard to replace my defective MSI motherboard. Finally Windows 10 no longer hard-locks, and I don't need to overclock my CPU just to get Windows to run for more than a day. But as is typical for me, I now I have a new issue and it's driving me mad.

I couldn't get this new motherboard to boot at first and I took each part out one by one. It turns out it will not boot if I have this card installed:

It's a DELL PERC H310; basically it's just a card that lets me hook up 8 hard drives to it.

Here is my new motherboard, and the yellow circle is where I am trying to plug this card in:

I am scratching my head as to why my new build will not POST with the card in that slot. Comparing it to my defective motherboard that booted just fine with the card plugged in, the only difference I can discern is that my old motherboard's slot was it's "own" PCI slot and not "related" to the graphics card. I am guessing my issue is that this new motherboard only has two PCI slots and both of them are meant for video cards? Is it really the case that I cannot use this card with this motherboard?

Sorry if these are stupid questions; my last build was from 2011 and I kind of figured PCI stuff didn't change much. Do I need to buy a more expensive motherboard with a 3rd PCI slot on it or something?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Man this new PC build has been so frustrating. If anyone recalls, I was having problems with my new build constantly locking up if I didn't have "GaMeR MoDe" turned on in the BIOS. It was suspected it was my RAM or my Windows install but after a month of troubleshooting I determined I had a bum motherboard. I received my new Gigabyte motherboard to replace my defective MSI motherboard. Finally Windows 10 no longer hard-locks, and I don't need to overclock my CPU just to get Windows to run for more than a day. But as is typical for me, I now I have a new issue and it's driving me mad.

I couldn't get this new motherboard to boot at first and I took each part out one by one. It turns out it will not boot if I have this card installed:

It's a DELL PERC H310; basically it's just a card that lets me hook up 8 hard drives to it.

Here is my new motherboard, and the yellow circle is where I am trying to plug this card in:

I am scratching my head as to why my new build will not POST with the card in that slot. Comparing it to my defective motherboard that booted just fine with the card plugged in, the only difference I can discern is that my old motherboard's slot was it's "own" PCI slot and not "related" to the graphics card. I am guessing my issue is that this new motherboard only has two PCI slots and both of them are meant for video cards? Is it really the case that I cannot use this card with this motherboard?

Sorry if these are stupid questions; my last build was from 2011 and I kind of figured PCI stuff didn't change much. Do I need to buy a more expensive motherboard with a 3rd PCI slot on it or something?

Looking at the manual for that board it looks like that second PCIe slot is really an x4 slot and that Controller requires x8.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Scruff McGruff posted:

Looking at the manual for that board it looks like that second PCIe slot is really an x4 slot and that Controller requires x8.

Looking through every single ATX motherboard I can find on Amazon it looks like I managed to buy the single solitary one that does not have an 8x slot (and the single solitary one that has a regular PCI slot which I cannot find on any other motherboard). Hooray, I get to swap for my 3rd motherboard this month! :smithicide:

I'm assuming this one would work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HRZRBRJ

(thanks by the way)

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 15, 2019

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I have a x570 Aorus ITX and plan on only using one NVMe drive (MP510) and no other SATA drives or anything, does it really matter which slot I put it in?

quote:

Integrated in the CPU (M2A_SOCKET):
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 SATA and PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support)

Integrated in the Chipset (M2B_SOCKET):
1 x M.2 connector on the back of the motherboard (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 SATA and PCIe* x4/x2 SSD support)
* For 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors only.

Haven't built a computer since my trusty 2500K years ago, so I'm not entirely clear on CPU lanes versus Chipset lanes, etc

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ItBreathes posted:

So my buddy with the bad 5700xt is ready to move on, but isn't interested in picking up an aib model. Right now he's looking at an 2070S FE, as it's the only one he can find at $500. Any reason not to go with that / anything else to consider? Targeting 1440/144, paired with a 3600. He's not especially price sensitive (though not willing to go much above $500) but I can't stand the idea of not getting a good deal.

My friend bought one and loves it. The cooler is very solid and I think they look nice too.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It doesn't bother me in the least but why are motherboards these days "only" coming with 4 RAM slots? Just asking because 6 seemed to be standard for the longest time. Just curious if there's some cool nerdy technical reason for it or something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It doesn't bother me in the least but why are motherboards these days "only" coming with 4 RAM slots? Just asking because 6 seemed to be standard for the longest time. Just curious if there's some cool nerdy technical reason for it or something.

I would guess improved RAM density per stick compared to earlier years and people use quad channel ram at the most for consumer boards.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
ah makes sense, thanks. Yeah I was pretty impressed with being able to get 64GB of RAM for under $200. I remember paying $150 for 32MB. :corsair:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I can't remember a modern consumer motherboard that had six RAM slots.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Goon posted:

I can't remember a modern consumer motherboard that had six RAM slots.

Really? My MSI X58A-GD65 and ECS X58B-A2 both did.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What can I say, they don't now?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The first gen core i-whatever series of CPUs and chipsets supported triple channel memory, but they switched to dual channel for second gen and on. There's quad channel with 4 or 8 RAM slots in the extreme edition stuff but it's a bit more expensive.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Those are HEDT mainboards, not consumer. Modern HEDT platforms have up to 8 slots instead.

Rexxed posted:

The first gen core i-whatever series of CPUs and chipsets supported triple channel memory, but they switched to dual channel for second gen and on. There's quad channel with 4 or 8 RAM slots in the extreme edition stuff but it's a bit more expensive.
Not second gen. The first generation of the Core i-series launched with enthusiast CPUs (Core i7 900) on a HEDT platform with the Xeon-derived PGA 1366 socket and said triple-channel memory. After that the first generation consumer CPUs (Core i7 800 and i5 700) with the same microarchitecture were released on PGA 1156 with the standard consumer dual-channel memory setup.

orcane fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 15, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
ah OK, I didn't know they switched from triple to dual channel, that answers my question then :)

I am surprised those were considered high-end motherboards and not consumer-grade because I usually buy the cheapest garbage I can afford at the time

Dead Goon posted:

What can I say, they don't now?

I somehow missed where your post said "modern", my bad. lol

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

There are some pins you need to tape over on the card..
https://yannickdekoeijer.blogspot.com/2012/04/modding-dell-perc-6-sas-raidcontroller.html?m=1

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ah makes sense, thanks. Yeah I was pretty impressed with being able to get 64GB of RAM for under $200. I remember paying $150 for 32MB. :corsair:

I once paid £30 for 1/2mb for my A500. Good times.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I totally forgot about this. Holy crap.

Is it still a waste of time to try it on this motherboard though since it's X4 and the card is apparently X8?

Lungboy posted:

I once paid £30 for 1/2mb for my A500. Good times.

I never really saw an Amiga here in the states so I wikipedia'd it a bit ans then checked out a Youtube video and man I can't believe how incredible some of the games looked for such an old system

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 16, 2019

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Is it still a waste of time to try it on this motherboard though since it's X4 and the card is apparently X8?
If you plugged in 8 SATA SSDs that could hit 500 MB/sec each where you tried to sequentially read off them all at the same time; you would need x8 (PCIe 2.0 x8 = 4 GB/sec). If you are just connecting up mechanical hard drives, even the fastest consumer class drives available these days top off at ~230 MB/sec, which means 8 of them won't even hit 2 GB/sec sequentially and it can be done on x4. If you are just using this to connect a bunch of random drives to your system, you probably never even break the 500 MB/sec that you could pull from an x1 slot.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The card will have lower peak performance numbers than it would in an x8 slot, but it should still work. I doubt any end user workload is going to be coming near what the controller can do anyway, so I'd be surprised if you noticed a difference.

It also only costs you some electrical tape to try it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just worried about the electrical tape getting stuck in the motherboard, but if it spares me from having to buy a different motherboard and I won't even notice a speed difference, it's worth a shot. Thanks so much!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm just worried about the electrical tape getting stuck in the motherboard, but if it spares me from having to buy a different motherboard and I won't even notice a speed difference, it's worth a shot. Thanks so much!

Don't use black vinyl electrical tape for covering contacts as it will absolutely 100% get stuck and tear the gently caress out of your motherboard, use Kapton tape. It's really really thin, you'll need something like an exacto knife to cut it accurately, and it will block electricity from flowing between the contacts.

It was invented to insulate electrical stuff from potentially short-circuiting on the trip to space.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

Don't use black vinyl electrical tape for covering contacts as it will absolutely 100% get stuck and tear the gently caress out of your motherboard, use Kapton tape. It's really really thin, you'll need something like an exacto knife to cut it accurately, and it will block electricity from flowing between the contacts.

It was invented to insulate electrical stuff from potentially short-circuiting on the trip to space.

I've just finished modding my Gameboy Color with a backlit screen and just so happen to have some of that! I would have not even thought to use it. Thank you!

EoRaptor posted:

The card will have lower peak performance numbers than it would in an x8 slot, but it should still work. I doubt any end user workload is going to be coming near what the controller can do anyway, so I'd be surprised if you noticed a difference.

OK thank you. I was thinking maybe the motherboard detected an x8 card in an x4 slot or something and refused to boot based on that or something.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 16, 2019