Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Eternals are a terrible value proposition and I'll buy none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gin posted:

Eternals are a terrible value proposition and I'll buy none.

There's list of all the achievements for champions and it's one unique + 2 generic ones per champion. The unique ones are usually the kill/hit with X ability kind. This took a lot of time to develop apparently.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
There's a garen mini-rework coming down the pipe in a few patches; basically shifting a bunch of power from his W and villain mechanic and into things that actually make sense instead

https://twitter.com/MarkYetter/status/1161369919776157697

Seems pretty rad to me as someone who's been spamming garen a fair bit lately, the spin2win scaling off attack speed and dealing on-hit effects is huge (a brawler who can actually use conqueror wow woah)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Gunslingers are really strong right now, huh?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

inthesto posted:

Gunslingers are really strong right now, huh?

They were always pretty good, just bugged for a little while. They're a great pick but also everyone picks them so they're always taken.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
New Panth seems fun, wish I could pick the direction I come in from with the ult like a Victor E or rumble ult. Would let you come from behind an enemy team and smash through them toward your own team. I guess you can do that you just have to behind the enemy team when you initiate the jump.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Monicro posted:

There's a garen mini-rework coming down the pipe in a few patches; basically shifting a bunch of power from his W and villain mechanic and into things that actually make sense instead

Seems pretty rad to me as someone who's been spamming garen a fair bit lately, the spin2win scaling off attack speed and dealing on-hit effects is huge (a brawler who can actually use conqueror wow woah)

this poo poo sucks and is a huge problem with riots design process. garen is a 45-year old champion literally in the best place he's ever been and some loving dumbass at riot thinks its gonna be really cool when they gently caress him up and make him completely unplayable or oppressive and then completely unplayable

"move to an early game bully power curve" for one of the biggest lane bullies 1-6 in the entire loving game yeah great choices there

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 15, 2019

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I will always mourn the loss of Teleport+Revive AP Pantheon in URF mode... :smith:

Being able to permanently remove an opponent from the game was the most fun thing imaginable.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Verviticus posted:

this poo poo sucks and is a huge problem with riots design process. garen is a 45-year old champion literally in the best place he's ever been and some loving dumbass at riot thinks its gonna be really cool when they gently caress him up and make him completely unplayable or oppressive and then completely unplayable

"move to an early game bully power curve" for one of the biggest lane bullies 1-6 in the entire loving game yeah great choices there

A ton of builds + jungling being made viable, being able to hurt tanks at all as a juggernaut lategame, and the ult not having a 1-in-5 chance of being not garbage is good imo

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the ult was never garbage, garen has literally always been able to hurt tanks with the ridiculous amount of shred he ends up putting on them, and another jungler with nothing but a mediocre clear and a pathetic run-at-you-silence is not inherently good for the game

ahhh finally i can do my epic bork garen build.... the game is soooo much better for this for some reason

aatrox and akali are still unbalanceable pieces of poo poo but i definitely have trust that riot will somehow not turn garen into a 35% win rate champion 6 hours after some silver dumbass finds out that shiv/zephyr garen is unstoppable

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 15, 2019

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

wake up granpa zephyr isnt in the game for years

but i agree, garens in a good spot and they're gonna ruin it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i miss zephyr i was the only one who built it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

riot heard that a champion was fun and sent the rework police

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey guys check out my epic chogath rework

removed feast's ability to give max hp
made e scale off crit chance (crit = more spikes crit damage = bigger spikes)
w now teleports you forward
if you land 17 qs on scuttlecrab you become Big Papa Chogath with the ability to teleport into the enemy fountain

voice lines: 'i am hungry... epically'
'i hunger... with epicness'
'borderlands 2 was a good game guys really'

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

I don't understand the argument that they shouldn't rework him because he's decent at this particular moment, dude still has an ult that's strictly worse than almost all of the other execute ults in the game atm (pyke, darius, veigar, etc), has a large amount of his damage locked behind a passive that's essentially RNG, can't use the best fighter keystone in the game that his peers build almost unanimously, and so on. I like garen a lot but the dude's kit is wony as gently caress and a small facelift is very good for him imo (and they're not removing anything other than his ult passive which, again, sucked poo poo in practice)

Also like half the changes were directly suggested by a challenger garen OTP, here's his video on it if you're curious enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smddRCXQDJo

Monicro fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 15, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

because 90% of the time when riot reworks a champion they ruin them completely

remember when swain had an identity

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

They made swain from a boring as poo poo bird guy into my favorite champion in the video game, reworks are good as hell

e: except akali and galio. the only 2 bad reworks

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

do we count the fifteen ryze and morde reworks in that?

also idk probably because im enjoying garen atm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Monicro posted:

They made swain from a boring as poo poo bird guy into my favorite champion in the video game, reworks are good as hell

morde's dragon ghost

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah that rewok was pretty bad too, thankfully they turned him into a good champion a few months ago

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
TFT Jayce isnt regaining mana after he ults. Is that intended?

e: I guess it's a shapeshifter thing. can't say I've ever seen Nidalee or Elise switch back to human form

the hextech trait is cool and I like Jinx and Camille

isaboo fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 15, 2019

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Monicro posted:

lots of goofy stuff and ultimately vervs analysis is on point. compound this with your ability to heal more effectively(as a lane bully you are most likely to have health advantage so this is nearly always a buff) and his early game has been immensely simplified. i am not sure this is at all necessary balance wise and while i appreciate the nod to build theory crafters this seems misguided.

Monicro posted:

I don't understand the argument that they shouldn't rework him because he's decent at this particular moment, dude still has an ult that's strictly worse than almost all of the other execute ults in the game atm (pyke, darius, veigar, etc), has a large amount of his damage locked behind a passive that's essentially RNG, can't use the best fighter keystone in the game that his peers build almost unanimously, and so on.
garens ult being worse is irrelevant because no champion is built in a vacuum. garen is more mobile than darius and not an assassin or ranged mage like pyke or veigar. these arguments do not hold up to scrutiny because all champions are not required to build the same things, and balancing champion design on keystones seems like a poor idea. furthermore, i agree about revenge. it is a bad and silly mechanic.

Endorph posted:

because 90% of the time when riot reworks a champion they ruin them completely

remember when swain had an identity
most reworks i found to be better than the reworked champion when i ran through the list a few months ago

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Re: the garen changes. Are there other characters that have on-hits proc on an AOE ability? I know AD aoe casters grab cleaver since any physical damage procs cleaver passive, but I dont think any of them can use an on-hit item.

I'm not looking forward to some hyper carry garen getting ahead in lane and going conqueror with cleaver/wits end/deaths dance and just aoe shredding entire teams mid game.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

garens ult being worse is irrelevant because no champion is built in a vacuum. garen is more mobile than darius and not an assassin or ranged mage like pyke or veigar. these arguments do not hold up to scrutiny because all champions are not required to build the same things, and balancing champion design on keystones seems like a poor idea. furthermore, i agree about revenge. it is a bad and silly mechanic.

Of course, but I don't think the power budget argument alone entirely justifies when the rest of his kit is fairly underwhelming as well. A ton of his power is wrapped up in his W, and while the resistances are really nice on paper especially lategame it feels strange and awkward for a champion who's essentially a quasi-assassin in lategame teamfights to have so much power wrapped up in his ability to tank damage (though admittedly it does allow him to get to his target a bit more consitently),and why I think taking power out of it and into his other abilities is a good idea. Additionally, I'm not trying to argue "the changes are good because garen should be able to build X good item/keystone", I'm arguing that a big reason garen has been historically worse than his bruiser/juggernauts peers is that his kit prohibits him from taking many of the items/runes that have been historically good on them, and doesn't give him much in the way of alternative options besides being a decent Predator user

Obviously I seem to be in the minority here and that's fine but I definitely think the changes clean up a lot of the weird idiosynchracies of his kit that haven't done much except hold him back to this point :shrug:

e: vvv that's all fair yea

Monicro fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 15, 2019

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Monicro posted:

Of course, but I don't think the power budget argument alone entirely justifies when the rest of his kit is fairly underwhelming as well. A ton of his power is wrapped up in his W, and while the resistances are really nice on paper especially lategame it feels strange and awkward for a champion who's essentially a quasi-assassin in lategame teamfights to have so much power wrapped up in his ability to tank damage (though admittedly it does allow him to get to his target a bit more consitently),and why I think taking power out of it and into his other abilities is a good idea. Additionally, I'm not trying to argue "the changes are good because garen should be able to build X good item/keystone", I'm arguing that a big reason garen has been historically worse than his bruiser/juggernauts peers is that his kit prohibits him from taking many of the items/runes that have been historically good on them, and doesn't give him much in the way of alternative options besides being a decent Predator user

Obviously I seem to be in the minority here and that's fine but I definitely think the changes clean up a lot of the weird idiosynchracies of his kit that haven't done much except hold him back to this point :shrug:

yeah and i like the intent behind this, the problem is this proposed rework replaces jank with jank. this attack speed stuff? weird. its weird. their rebalance has an unintended side effect as well of making his early game even more pronounced which is going to make a lot of people miserable if the rework ends up being a net buff, resulting in people clamouring for garen nerfs and creating poor experience. the execution seems sloppy to me

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

yeah new swain is insainly cool, but I love tanky short range ap champs so im probably just a weirdlord

i got him a lot in aram and now im THE mid lane pain, swain main, aka Fat Mike aka Big Thiccit Michael T.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Verv it's the same loving thing as Pantheon, you know you're not gonna win. The must change thing that worked fine before is like a core design philosophy at this point, because we need more ~skill expression~ in champs with simple kits

I wonder how they'll invariably gently caress up poo poo like Yi or Wukong

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Servaetes posted:

Verv it's the same loving thing as Pantheon, you know you're not gonna win. The must change thing that worked fine before is like a core design philosophy at this point, because we need more ~skill expression~ in champs with simple kits

I wonder how they'll invariably gently caress up poo poo like Yi or Wukong
They're going to make wukong so that you have to spin manually with his ultimate, an app for your phone that can feel if your computer chair ir swirling around like him.

This is to make sure you're truly immersed and can feel just how dizzying it is to be wukong!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Monicro posted:

Also like half the changes were directly suggested by a challenger garen OTP,
basically the single biggest possible indictment against the rework lol

Monicro posted:

Additionally, I'm not trying to argue "the changes are good because garen should be able to build X good item/keystone", I'm arguing that a big reason garen has been historically worse than his bruiser/juggernauts peers is that his kit prohibits him from taking many of the items/runes that have been historically good on them, and doesn't give him much in the way of alternative options besides being a decent Predator user

grasp is like one of the best runes in the game but it only works on a handful of champs, garen being one of them. he really doesn't need conqueror and if im wrong and access to it ends up being useful, all its going to do is take a borderline too-strong champion and cause him to start spinning to pentakills

pog boyfriend posted:

furthermore, i agree about revenge. it is a bad and silly mechanic.

its not great but its really good at shifting his power in a way that lets them overcompensate with tankiness because the chances of the villain being the guy he wants to kill is like 50/50

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 15, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
grasp on garen sucks actually, especially in the roles god intended him to play (mid and bot), and you should run predator instead if you aren't a scared rear end bitch

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Monicro posted:

Bitch, what about Poppy and Sion?! Both used to be able to oneshot ADCs without skillshots. Bad reworks.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

The Mash posted:

Bitch, what about Poppy and Sion?! Both used to be able to oneshot ADCs without skillshots. Bad reworks.

Sion can still one-shot ADCs if you build lethality on him like any reasonable person

ungulateman posted:

grasp on garen sucks actually, especially in the roles god intended him to play (mid and bot), and you should run predator instead if you aren't a scared rear end bitch

more or less

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Anyway Riot's reworks have almost exclusively been great and they're gonna come for YOUR favorite champion to make them good next and I'm gonna cheer

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Monicro posted:

Anyway Riot's reworks have almost exclusively been great and they're gonna come for YOUR favorite champion to make them good next and I'm gonna cheer

They already came for Morgana but iirc she stayed basically the same while all the crazy rework stuff was done to her sister.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Monicro posted:

the mini-reworks that weren't 'full relaunches' according to their nomenklature have been pretty bad and have some insanely high revert or replacement rate considering how little they as a group were supposed to change in theory. like look down just the list of 'class updates' when they were still doing those

a lot of those champions have either had to be reverted or became despised and completely unbalanceable in the long-term directly because of the state their mini-reworks put them in. off the top of my head, Zac, LeBlanc, Rengar all got explicit reverts, Kog'Maw got a revert although that was on a later change that for some reason isn't considered a mini-rework but really should have been, Corki and Graves are both constant balance nightmares if they're at all playable and thus generally have to be made not playable, same for all the juggernauts except old Morde which was a problem for other reasons. i'm sure people will be able to name half a dozen other times where they did some mini-update and it all went to hell. more of riot's large-scale reworks have turned out well than not but they have a high hit rate all things considered when it comes to loving things up badly when they get into tinkering mode like this

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I used to straight up one trick morg when I wanted to win back in the days of runes (I used movespeed Quints). I've disliked almost every change they've made to her and rarely play her now.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Predator Garen seems more like an extremely stupid rear end silver gimmick than grasp but I'm not really a Garen player at all

Like sure it would be funny, but not good, like rushing an iEdge on him

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Pred is not that great in most match-ups for him yeah.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Monicro posted:

theres no need to threaten people just because youre losing an argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite champion was graves back when he was an aoe marksman with some beefyness to him instead of a useless piece of poo poo who just runs in a circle autoattacking golem for five minutes then dashes two inches forward into a pyke ult and dies instantly for his ganks, and is only a jungler because hes so laughably useless that the role that lets him see enemies the least is the only one that works for him, and hes been like this for five years

even when hes good he doesnt feel good to play

and riot literally said that if the rework removed graves from the botlane, they'd revert it, because they wanted him to be an adc

it removed him from the botlane

they didnt revert it