Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

just rust posted:

I thought y'all were talking about Dan Barry for a minute and I like that version of the Ribera story better.

in my mind they still are and i refuse to think otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Tess_Blanchard/status/1161092299641610240

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Dave’s reverence for Ribera is hilarious because the more you look into it the more it seems like that wrestlers kind of started repping them more as a joke than anything. It isn’t some religious thing in wrestling. I went on my trip to Japan and it was fun and cool to see all the pictures but acting like it’s some important thing in the industry is ridiculous. Like Brody and Hansen found the place while getting super drunk and wanting a lot of meat.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Justin Roberts has a jacket

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Wrestlers have a long history of being serious about stupid poo poo, it's gonna happen

Like the careers that were ruined over missing a handshake for example

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Wrestlers have a long history of being serious about stupid poo poo, it's gonna happen

I mean, I think it's too early to call running AEW ruining your career?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I think this (and this is just an opinion) comes from being acutely aware that a lot of the general public does not take wrestling seriously and thus if they take their weird little rituals seriously it will create a culture that people respect.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think this (and this is just an opinion) comes from being acutely aware that a lot of the general public does not take wrestling seriously and thus if they take their weird little rituals seriously it will create a culture that people respect.

But like I don’t think Ribera was actually ever taken seriously. I think the joke was that you’re wearing some cheesy steakhouse jacket. Like all the original wrestlers who got it I think we’re just being ironic and having a fun time.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, at most they're a sign that you worked Japan which is going to be a bit of a big deal if you're a foreigner. Otherwise it's just the owners giving their trashy jacket to wrestlers they like.

It's pretty much like if in 20 years some wrestler is tweeting "Hey don't make fun of Jimmy's Seafood, we have a long important history with them"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

yea ok posted:

it's because he's extremely smart and good with people but says "wait so what's a grape?" every so often to keep up appearances

I'm glad you said that, because this one is hot off the presses!

https://twitter.com/giantbomb/status/1161737335542693888?s=21

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Vandar posted:

I'm glad you said that, because this one is hot off the presses!

https://twitter.com/giantbomb/status/1161737335542693888?s=21

since when are eggs dairy?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Since idiots see fridges have a picture with both on the shelf inside the door and don't realise it means 'Eggs OR Dairy go here'.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The Ribera jackets have been available to spendy fans for at least 20 years, including directly from the steakhouse. RF even had two at his Wrestlecon table this year.

Lone Goat posted:

It's part of the dairy section of the supermarket. I can see how they got off on the initial tangent.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 15, 2019

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
If you wanna know why Candice LeRae is the best person on the planet, she made Johnny homemade WWF Ice Cream Bars for his birthday.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Dave’s reverence for Ribera is hilarious because the more you look into it the more it seems like that wrestlers kind of started repping them more as a joke than anything. It isn’t some religious thing in wrestling. I went on my trip to Japan and it was fun and cool to see all the pictures but acting like it’s some important thing in the industry is ridiculous. Like Brody and Hansen found the place while getting super drunk and wanting a lot of meat.
Sometimes you just want to do a cool thing.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

This is an old James May bit though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

DM Punk posted:

If you wanna know why Candice LeRae is the best person on the planet, she made Johnny homemade WWF Ice Cream Bars for his birthday.

Those two are adorable together. Shame he’s from Ohio.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DM Punk posted:

CM Punk: Wait, you can just make your own? :aaa:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

DM Punk posted:

It is absolutely insane that those haven’t came back. I figured they were going to do it after the CM Punk thing.

With the whole retro thing being so hot right now this is the time to strike. Probably the smart thing to do would be to make deals with the various wrestlers directly instead of WWE. It would likely be a hell of a lot cheaper and less red tape and bullshit.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
AEW ice cream bars will be the turning point in this new wrestling war.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Djarum posted:

It is absolutely insane that those haven’t came back. I figured they were going to do it after the CM Punk thing.

With the whole retro thing being so hot right now this is the time to strike. Probably the smart thing to do would be to make deals with the various wrestlers directly instead of WWE. It would likely be a hell of a lot cheaper and less red tape and bullshit.

they will never do it, specifically to spite CM Punk

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Karmine posted:

God that would be such a awesome move on their part.

Really though it was a great way to get awareness out there to younger kids. It seems crazy that it stopped.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The_Rob posted:

But like I don’t think Ribera was actually ever taken seriously. I think the joke was that you’re wearing some cheesy steakhouse jacket. Like all the original wrestlers who got it I think we’re just being ironic and having a fun time.

I dunno... When I think of wrestling legends of the 80s and 90s I dont associate them, as a group, with "Strong grasp of irony".

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Didn't the Young Bucks get a literal Cracker Barrel?

I'm thinking the Cracker Barrel will be the new Ribera jacket. Just wrestlers taking pictures with their Cracker Barrel to show that they are part of the cool kidz club. It's the Ribera Jacket of the modern era. In other words: The rib-era is over!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Djarum posted:

Wasn't the whole thing with those bars that there was only 1 per box?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Davros1 posted:

Wasn't the whole thing with those bars that there was only 1 per box?

I only ever got them from an ice cream truck growing up, but I think there was definitely a time you could buy multipacks at the grocery store, because I definitely remember trying to convince my mom to buy a pack for me and my brother.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
They were sold at the corner store in the 80s in the 90s you could only get them from ice cream trucks.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I think the reason that there are no WWE icecream bars is Vince being insane, stubborn, self absorbed, and out of touch.

"I don't like those stupid lame ice cream bars therefore nobody does, and nobody wants them. What, thousnads of people in our core demographic remember them fondly, and are prepared to spend money on overpriced confectionary to rekindle nostalgia? What, we could use them to get the WWE name/brand out there in supermarkets like the mainstream brands I fetishize so very very much? What, this could be a lucrative revenue stream that involves no journalist murder? .... Didn't you hear me before, I said I don't like them, therefore nobody likes them. You're fired."

I mean Vince being insane, stubborn, self absorbed, and out of touch affects more things in wrestling than the ice-creams, but my opinion is that the ice-creams are indeed a symptom of that.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think the reason that there are no WWE icecream bars is Vince being insane, stubborn, self absorbed, and out of touch.
This is the reason for most of the problems WWE has. any show vince touches is essentially being made for him and if other people happen to like it. happy coincidence.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
To be fair expanding into ice creams seems like a low reward investment. Its not like you can make huge margins in profits via a niche perishable product for mass dissemination. It is nostalgia but it wouldnt succeed. How often does one buy ice cream bars and how much would you ho for the flavour of a WWE one iver... any other one with a tried and tested formula such as salted caramel.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SiKboy posted:

I dunno... When I think of wrestling legends of the 80s and 90s I dont associate them, as a group, with "Strong grasp of irony".

Have you never listened to old stories told by wrestlers. Half of them are about them getting drunk and loving around. Those dudes were always looking for a good time

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd expect WWE to go into merchandising deals with those high end food delivery dealies. Probably get a better kickback off that.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

Those two are adorable together. Shame he’s from Ohio.
ohayou!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Karmine posted:

We need Luchasaurus versions of Reptar Bars.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

I have a dairy allergy. It would shock you how often trained restaurant employees who handle all of our food ask me if that means I can't eat eggs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

I have a dairy allergy. It would shock you how often trained restaurant employees who handle all of our food ask me if that means I can't eat eggs.

To be fair, I'd prefer that if they don't know something that should be obvious, at least they ask to make sure that they're not going to give you something that could cause you problems.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, I'd prefer that if they don't know something that should be obvious, at least they ask to make sure that they're not going to give you something that could cause you problems.
Oh, I get very politely poisoned by ignorant people all the time as well.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LividLiquid posted:

there's people that think fish is vegetarian so who knows what lies in their minds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

coconono posted:

I'd expect WWE to go into merchandising deals with those high end food delivery dealies. Probably get a better kickback off that.

Yeah, it would be easy to sell/license the WWE name and wrestler likenesses to Nestle or whoever to let them make the icecreams. Everybody gets paid.

Of course, this would involve WWE giving up the tiniest smidgen of creative control, and also would involve each wrestler on an icecream getting a little bit more money/control over their own image. Neither of which Vince will ever do.