Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I really want to know where he works now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rex-Goliath posted:

as dumb as it may be you gotta admire the gumption behind 'i've never been negative ever'

Poz my neg ROI.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i guess being a junior developer for decades gives you a lot of practice at quickly ramping up to meet junior developer expectations

most people might expect to become a senior developer at some point instead of forever writing small changes based on what someone else has told them to do, but should we really be criticising someone for having a crippling lack of ambition?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
How has taught me that maintainable code is just another word for "code I wrote"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

rotor posted:

How has taught me that maintainable code is just another word for "code I wrote"

you and everyone in our professional class, yeah

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Share Bear posted:

Sup jobbers? How is comin' at ya. I just put in a new pull request (that's what she said ;) ) at my job, this time for a better la croix flavor. Anyway, I told my boss I'm an ironic Nazi for the lulz and he's really harshing my vibe. Why can't anyone vibe with my vibe? I guess it's vibes.

lol

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Thanks for being the voice of reason, thread. It helps to know I'm not a crazy imposter sometimes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Phraggah posted:

Thanks for being the voice of reason, thread. It helps to know I'm not a crazy imposter sometimes.

Knowing that there are people far, far more incompetent than you being paid is a good thing to know, except it also makes me sad for society.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

silvergoose posted:

Knowing that there are people far, far more incompetent than you being paid is a good thing to know, except it also makes me sad for society.

it beats the hell out of impostor syndrome, but i'd be lying if i said i didn't worry about falling to hubris on the other side, too

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

bout to board a plane to visit sunny seattle to interview for something at amazon. devices maybe? gunning for one of those new positions down in nashville. it's funny because i sent the recruiter a thanks but no thanks email after the coding challenge but hey whatever I guess

third times a charm right??

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

it beats the hell out of impostor syndrome, but i'd be lying if i said i didn't worry about falling to hubris on the other side, too

on one hand there's imposter syndrome, on the other side is how!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Captain Foo posted:

on one hand there's imposter syndrome, on the other side is how!!

so if i, the chronically anxious and uncertain, were to meet how!!, would we mutually annihilate, or

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Amazon quickly PFO'ed me for the TCC role (for which I was grossly unqualified) but still hasn't done so for the ATAM role I applied to a long-rear end time ago meaning I still entertain the false hope that a better future is possible for my hopeless-rear end self.

:(

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
How is the kind of guy to pronounce LaCroix "L.A. Crocks"

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

LaCroixy mate

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

La Chr,ah,ex

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
LaCro, the ninth

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mekkanare posted:

LaCro, the ninth

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Jabor posted:

most people might expect to become a senior developer at some point instead of forever writing small changes based on what someone else has told them to do, but should we really be criticising someone for having a crippling lack of ambition?

from what i've seen a senior developer is still this. just gimme some more time i'll grab them titles.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
final interview tomorrow for the smallco job. if the offer is right I think I will take it, should be a 30% raise and the opportunity to build (and manage) a new product team as part of a reorg they are doing. FAANG job would be cool but would require me to become a technical SME again which is not really what I want.

I’m tempted to give my boss a heads up because he is awesome and not the reason I’m quitting, but when I think about the very long list of things I’d need to consider staying it starts to look a bit ridiculous. they aren’t going to make me vp of buying cocktails in Tokyo just to retain me.

I probably won’t talk to him until I have a formal offer from the new gig. I guess I could raise a general red flag that I’m “going to be making a decision” in the next few weeks and see what happens? not worth it probably but quitting on a good boss feels crappy though.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I’m tempted to give my boss a heads up

Don't say poo poo until you accept an offer.

If your BOSS is as good as you reckon he won't mind and will understand.

On the other hand, if you're wrong about him, or by coincidence or whatever someone above him asks if you're leaving, or if he gets asked if anticipates needing x hiring budget or whatever, you may have put yourself in a position you don't want to be in if opportunities fall through.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

I probably won’t talk to him until I have a formal offer from the new gig. I guess I could raise a general red flag that I’m “going to be making a decision” in the next few weeks and see what happens? not worth it probably but quitting on a good boss feels crappy though.

gently caress no, what is wrong with you

this is the purpose of giving notice

you give them two weeks or four weeks or whatever time in order to smooth things over and leave them happy

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

final interview tomorrow for the smallco job. if the offer is right I think I will take it, should be a 30% raise and the opportunity to build (and manage) a new product team as part of a reorg they are doing. FAANG job would be cool but would require me to become a technical SME again which is not really what I want.

I’m tempted to give my boss a heads up because he is awesome and not the reason I’m quitting, but when I think about the very long list of things I’d need to consider staying it starts to look a bit ridiculous. they aren’t going to make me vp of buying cocktails in Tokyo just to retain me.

No

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I've given my boss month+ warning that I'm looking for another position but it was because we'd had a lot of history together and I trusted him not to gently caress me over and because replacing me wasn't really possible.

It's ok to do it imo but be verrrry careful. Even if you trust your boss, do you trust his boss not to gently caress you over? How about his boss's boss? Because they'll hear about it and they can gently caress you over too.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
thanks for the reality check , I actually do have that degree of trust in my boss but there isn’t anything he could do to fix the situation anyway so there isn’t any point.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If in doubt keep your mouth shut

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I worked on a small team that I liked very much for an organization that needed me quite a bit and was generally extremely friendly

and I still didn't say a drat whisper of anything until I returned my signed offer

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the only exception to telling your boss you’re quitting by handing in your notice is when you want to be a yospos hero and “accidentally” email your boss your newjob acceptance letter

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

thanks for the reality check , I actually do have that degree of trust in my boss but there isn’t anything he could do to fix the situation anyway so there isn’t any point.

Good on you, dont show your hand. You worry about you, your boss and the company he works for will worry about him.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
just don't be a dick and quit without notice

two weeks minimum is customary :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

just don't be a dick and quit without notice

two weeks minimum is customary :colbert:

unless they're being a dick to you in which case at will employment goes both ways

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hobbesmaster posted:

unless they're being a dick to you in which case at will employment goes both ways

And chances are, if you're looking for a new job, guess what the employer is being!

I mean I can understand if "hey, a better opportunity came up relatively unexpectedly, and you want to leave on good terms" situation happened, but that tends to be rare in my experience.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

iospace posted:

And chances are, if you're looking for a new job, guess what the employer is being!

I mean I can understand if "hey, a better opportunity came up relatively unexpectedly, and you want to leave on good terms" situation happened, but that tends to be rare in my experience.

I've tried something like this where I quit two months before my contract was set to expire because a permanent position came up.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Why is it customary to give two weeks that you're firing your boss, when your boss is under no such custom when they're firing you?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Defenestrategy posted:

Why is it customary to give two weeks that you're firing your boss, when your boss is under no such custom when they're firing you?

customarily your boss will give you better than two weeks severance, unless you are fired for cause

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

customarily your boss will give you better than two weeks severance, unless you are fired for cause

*Glances at a p.i.p.* yes and that is very difficult to do

asur
Dec 28, 2012
PIP might as well be six months notice.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yeah that's true

notice typically comes well in advance of firing for cause. you just don't get a fat check at the end.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

There is no such custom. In my experience, the custom is "gently caress you, find another place to work, you get no severance"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if your company has fewer than 1000 people or you make less than 100k