Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's hard to tell this early in the game but a base is really not a major investment or something you're obligated to stick with. Starting another one is cheap and easy and you can go back and delete old ones if you don't like seeing them in the teleport list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How does the GOG edition of the game handle VR? Does it have to hook into Steam or Oculus Home or does it do something else? Thinking of rebuying the game on GOG just so I have a copy untethered from Steam.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Well that hotfix did nothing for me. Still crashes if I try to remap keys with a controller plugged in. Still can't rebind keys without the controller. Still randomly crash just sorting through my inventory.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Was pretty miffed to see that WMR just wasn't supported at all and required fixes to even start the game. Why do VR developers ignore WMR? I had to use some dudes third party bindings but they felt really lovely. I tried a few different ones and they were all slightly different in lovely ways. Also my forward movement and jetpack use seems to somehow be related to the position of my hands but I can't figure out how or why

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

How does the GOG edition of the game handle VR? Does it have to hook into Steam or Oculus Home or does it do something else? Thinking of rebuying the game on GOG just so I have a copy untethered from Steam.

The steam version requires SteamVR (unlike some titles which will use the Oculus runtime directly, even if they are launched from Steam) so I expect that's also a requirement of the GOG version.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

..btt posted:

The steam version requires SteamVR (unlike some titles which will use the Oculus runtime directly, even if they are launched from Steam) so I expect that's also a requirement of the GOG version.

I need to dig out my Oculus, dust it off, reinstall it, and get it configured for my new desktop space. The thought of doing all that labor makes me exhausted.

Any thoughts on best recharging solution for Oculus Touch? I can get a 4xAA and Energezier recharger for under $20 on amazon, but Googling is telling me that some brand called Eneloop is best for NiMH battery solutions.

Edit: How do the touch controls feel in-flight? Is it worth digging out my T160000000000000000000.00000000M HOTAS for flight and then using my Oculus Touch for on-foot shenanigans?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Am I able to transport to any of my bases even if they don't have the transporter thing? I found a random base computer and claimed the site and now it's in my list of places to teleport to.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to disable the auto-movement when firing your mining laser? Like I'll stop do blast a rock and when I do my character will sometimes randomly start side strafing.

This is on PS4.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

chaosapiant posted:

Just something to be aware of, but I've heard the GOG and Steam versions do not have crossplay re: multiplayer.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Macaluso posted:

The worst is when you find a beautiful peaceful planet and get all comfortable then suddenly DEADLY FIRE STORM
nothing like spending half an hour scouting around, finding a good spot for a base with several resource deposits in sight, no annoying or freaky fauna, start laying down some foundations and the sky opens up with rain that could melt lead

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When you build your first building, you sometimes HAVE to leave the planet to do it. The planet I was on, a completely desolate rocky planet, had no carbon that I could find with my visor, so I had to pick up and move to my starting planet, get some carbon and go back, before I realized I didnt actually NEED to build it on the other planet.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Cojawfee posted:

Am I able to transport to any of my bases even if they don't have the transporter thing? I found a random base computer and claimed the site and now it's in my list of places to teleport to.

Yeah, that's how it's worked since transporters were a thing. Having a transporter up just means you can transport *back* to where you just left.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pyrus Malus posted:

Just something to be aware of, but I've heard the GOG and Steam versions do not have crossplay re: multiplayer.

Ah, this is good to know, thank you!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Popete posted:

Is there a way to disable the auto-movement when firing your mining laser? Like I'll stop do blast a rock and when I do my character will sometimes randomly start side strafing.

This is on PS4.

Something might be wrong with your controller. Unless that is a new bug.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Went to the Nexus today, found some people. The Nexus may have up to 32 people, but missions are only capable of up to 4 people, at least the one we did. While in the Nexus, it's possible to join another person without permission it seems. Just look into Network and Voice under options, it'll list people in the Nexus and you can join them.

Of the four people in our group, 3 were VR players. It's possible for VR players to kill other people in the Nexus by closing fist and running into them. I accidentally killed someone because I didn't realize I was actually hurting them.

Once the mission has been accepted by everybody, you get in your starship and leave the Nexus, to which you're promptly automatically warped to the mission's system. From there you all do your thing.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I chose join game, found my friends game and clicked on it. Without even continuing I could hear his voice chat. Pretty neat!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Something might be wrong with your controller. Unless that is a new bug.

Could be, I can try a different one later.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's pretty disappointing that since playing this about a year ago, they still haven't made the creature generation more interesting. After you've seen a handful of animals you've seen them all. I've seen basically the same pineapple creature one thousand times. The same foot tall blob animals that have no arms or legs and move by bouncing 100 times. The same long fish that flying around the sky with no actual flying animations 100 times. That's probably the biggest issue I have with the game, I'd love it if discovering the species was more visually interesting.

Like how many times do I really need to see this same alien billions of light years away from each other:

Burns
May 10, 2008

Why on earth does evey single alien hold an ipad? Is this some sort of millenial existential nightmare?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Burns posted:

Why on earth does evey single alien hold an ipad? Is this some sort of millenial existential nightmare?

Apple won the tech wars.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Burns posted:

Easy way to look busy

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Macaluso posted:

It's pretty disappointing that since playing this about a year ago, they still haven't made the creature generation more interesting. After you've seen a handful of animals you've seen them all. I've seen basically the same pineapple creature one thousand times. The same foot tall blob animals that have no arms or legs and move by bouncing 100 times. The same long fish that flying around the sky with no actual flying animations 100 times. That's probably the biggest issue I have with the game, I'd love it if discovering the species was more visually interesting.

Like how many times do I really need to see this same alien billions of light years away from each other:

I can honestly say I have never seen that sort of Pineapple style of creature yet... Maybe it's just the side of the Galaxy you are on? lol

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I need to dig out my Oculus, dust it off, reinstall it, and get it configured for my new desktop space. The thought of doing all that labor makes me exhausted.

Any thoughts on best recharging solution for Oculus Touch? I can get a 4xAA and Energezier recharger for under $20 on amazon, but Googling is telling me that some brand called Eneloop is best for NiMH battery solutions.

Edit: How do the touch controls feel in-flight? Is it worth digging out my T160000000000000000000.00000000M HOTAS for flight and then using my Oculus Touch for on-foot shenanigans?

I only played for 30m or so on a new save, so can't comment on the flight controls. I expect it's still as floaty as ever so the HOTAS probably won't be much good if you can even get it configured properly. The game is forward-facing only, not roomscale, so it'll be pretty easy to get set up for that.

I just use non-rechargable batteries, which last forever in the touch, but I've also heard good things about Eneloop and bought a set. I've just not had to replace the non-rechargables since I bought them so haven't actually tried them yet. You might get better answers in the VR thread.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

ijii posted:

Went to the Nexus today, found some people. The Nexus may have up to 32 people, but missions are only capable of up to 4 people, at least the one we did. While in the Nexus, it's possible to join another person without permission it seems. Just look into Network and Voice under options, it'll list people in the Nexus and you can join them.

Of the four people in our group, 3 were VR players. It's possible for VR players to kill other people in the Nexus by closing fist and running into them. I accidentally killed someone because I didn't realize I was actually hurting them.

Thankfully, that's an option you can switch to No One, Group & Friends or Anybody under the Network & Voice options.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Why doesn't the "detailed information" screen for planets even tell you what type of planet it is?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
drat, I just unlocked an Atlas Pass v2 after 2 hours playing...the tech tree's are a bit grind in places, but I really, really like the fact the whole game is just opened up now. No more loving missions.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EdEddnEddy posted:

I can honestly say I have never seen that sort of Pineapple style of creature yet... Maybe it's just the side of the Galaxy you are on? lol

These types of fauna have been seen since launch all over the Galaxy, kinda sucks that the procgen of the animals didn't get a huge rear end overhaul.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

sigher posted:

These types of fauna have been seen since launch all over the Galaxy, kinda sucks that the procgen of the animals didn't get a huge rear end overhaul.

Did you start a new game or continue an old Save?

I notice that the planet I was on before the update got a few extra elements and plants even though I had practically discovered everything but one animal on it before the patch. However I have no idea really how good the game is at remixing the new procgen stuff with the old if the save was made before a major patch. They did say they tweaked the creature generation a lot especially now that you can ride some of them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

..btt posted:

I only played for 30m or so on a new save, so can't comment on the flight controls. I expect it's still as floaty as ever so the HOTAS probably won't be much good if you can even get it configured properly. The game is forward-facing only, not roomscale, so it'll be pretty easy to get set up for that.

I just use non-rechargable batteries, which last forever in the touch, but I've also heard good things about Eneloop and bought a set. I've just not had to replace the non-rechargables since I bought them so haven't actually tried them yet. You might get better answers in the VR thread.

This is all good info, thanks! More questions: I decided to gently caress off from work and go home for a couple of hours so I could setup my Rift. I'm back at work now, but at least that work is done. I tried NMS in the Rift, and it looks pretty good, but I'm not sure how to set it up so I'm not teleport-walking. I want to be able to just hold down the stick and move while looking around and what not. Minecraft lets me do this and while it takes a bit to get used to, it feels more natural than being a static object everywhere I exists because I teleport.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
It's in the options somewhere, it didn't take me long to find. Also, you'll always have to turn with the right stick, but you can change that to smooth instead of the default that turns in 30 degree-ish steps.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I won’t stand for snap turns and teleport to move but I guess the price is a headache after an hour

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
How come "hold x to tag" doesn't seem to do anything? Does the tagged thing have to be in my sight line? Seems like I should be able to tag a distant deposit and get a compass marker or something but nothing happens.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Macaluso posted:

For me it's minor variations of that dumb crab all over the place.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You can change movement to Smooth in options and turn off vignettes if you're like me and have iron VR legs

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Eneloops are great. You can get a pack a big kit of them off Amazon with a recharger and not need other batteries for years.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

fuf posted:

How come "hold x to tag" doesn't seem to do anything? Does the tagged thing have to be in my sight line? Seems like I should be able to tag a distant deposit and get a compass marker or something but nothing happens.

When you tag something it'll always mark on the main screen where it is no matter how far away you are but you still have to be facing the general direction of it. Stuff doesn't get marked on the compass until you get closer to it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Did the patch reset all the machines we made? I have to craft a refiner brand new but I absolutely had one on me before a stopped playing a while ago

edit: Oh no i just forgot the button to bring up the separate menu

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 15, 2019

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Looks like I'm one of those people who gets completely awful VR performance despite running a GTX1080ti, 7th gen i7 and 32gb ram on a CV1, latest drivers, fresh install etc, literally constant ATW/ASW reprojection regardless of settings, it performs just as poorly at all ultra as at all standard. Something fucky is going on because NMS barely hit 30% GPU utilisation despite stuttering constantly, CPU usage hit maaaaaybe 50%, and according to the frame profiler in steam advanced settings, nothing bad is happening and the framerate should be quite smooth. So what the gently caress is going on?! Apparently it's not dropping or reprojecting any frames if steam is anything to go by. The wierder thing is, if i just sit in one place, the performance is generally okay, but literally just moving in any direction causes reprojection to kick in full force and somtimes it even just straight-out drops me out for a few seconds.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

..btt posted:

It's in the options somewhere, it didn't take me long to find. Also, you'll always have to turn with the right stick, but you can change that to smooth instead of the default that turns in 30 degree-ish steps.

First impressions in VR is that games looks and runs amazing and I feels good to play. Watching my son flail around now in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Okay next question. How do i do electricity

I forgot I needed to electricity to power my poo poo in my base