Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The set design and lighting in von Sternberg's early 30s films is out of this world, and early 30s Marlene Dietrich was out of this world, so yeah, I like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Anybody listen to Joe Dante’s podcast The Movies That Made Me? So good and he’s seen EVERY movie and knows everything about them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Joe Dante loving ru-els

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Klute owns

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
https://twitter.com/CriterionDaily/status/1159051527157354496?s=19

Tentative "it's happening"?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Hmm might be time to put my copy on eBay....

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm slowly working my way through the Bergman box set, and Scenes From a Marriage is up next. I'm assuming the TV version is the way to go for a first time watch?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm slowly working my way through the Bergman box set, and Scenes From a Marriage is up next. I'm assuming the TV version is the way to go for a first time watch?

Ugh, Scenes From a Marriage is an excruciating watch. Right up there with Cries and Whispers, but obviously for different reasons.

I've only seen the t.v. version but yea I assume it's the same deal as Fanny and Alexander, the t.v. version the full story the way Bergman meant it to be seen.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Ugh, Scenes From a Marriage is an excruciating watch. Right up there with Cries and Whispers, but obviously for different reasons.

I've only seen the t.v. version but yea I assume it's the same deal as Fanny and Alexander, the t.v. version the full story the way Bergman meant it to be seen.

Thanks. I don't really know anything about it so I'm glad you mentioned the "excruciating" part, I'll save it for a night when I'm in the mood for that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Unlike Fanny and Alexander, all the great scenes from Scenes from a Marriage are present in the theatrical version, so the TV cut is mostly there if you just can't get enough of watching broken people sabotage themselves and each other.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Unlike Fanny and Alexander, all the great scenes from Scenes from a Marriage are present in the theatrical version, so the TV cut is mostly there if you just can't get enough of watching broken people sabotage themselves and each other.

I dunno, I've only seen the TV version but i watched it an episode a night spread out over a week and that really felt like the ideal way to do it. I love the way each episode ends with those calming images of Faro to bring you back down.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Fanny and Alexander was something that I just didn't want to end, even after 5 hours. I could totally see myself sitting down to watch that on a Sunday and just plowing through the entire thing. Scenes From a Marriage, on the other hand, was so emotionally exhausting that I needed to just watch one part per night and then recover.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I prefer television for F&A but theatrical for SFAM.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly, Scenes From a Marriage is a perfect example of why I probably won't ever need to buy the Bergman set because half of the films I've seen of his have been so devastating that I don't feel the need to ever watch them again. One viewing of Cries and Whispers or Autumn Sonata was enough for me, thanks.

I own Fanny and Alexander, and I probably will pick up Persona and Wild Strawberries at some point but that might be it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wild Strawberries and Persona are definitely two of his most rewatchable.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly, Scenes From a Marriage is a perfect example of why I probably won't ever need to buy the Bergman set because half of the films I've seen of his have been so devastating that I don't feel the need to ever watch them again. One viewing of Cries and Whispers or Autumn Sonata was enough for me, thanks.

I own Fanny and Alexander, and I probably will pick up Persona and Wild Strawberries at some point but that might be it.

Funny. Most of the Bergman's I've seen so far have been comedies. The Seventh Seal and Smiles of a Summer Night are pretty funny... The only one that hasn't been, so far, is Persona.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Funny. Most of the Bergman's I've seen so far have been comedies. The Seventh Seal and Smiles of a Summer Night are pretty funny... The only one that hasn't been, so far, is Persona.

In the end I think it probably ends up being 50/50 with Bergman in terms of the really emotional gut punch films and the lighter stuff but that's enough where I can't justify buying a big set with that many films in it I have no desire to watch again.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

When his movies are not funny, they’re reeeeaaallly not funny

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

In the end I think it probably ends up being 50/50 with Bergman in terms of the really emotional gut punch films and the lighter stuff but that's enough where I can't justify buying a big set with that many films in it I have no desire to watch again.

Oh yeah, no need to drop that money if you're not into it. Just saying there's light and funny Bergman as well.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

When his movies are not funny, they’re reeeeaaallly not funny

Persona left me feeling pretty strange. In a...good way? I don't know.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah most Bergman flicks I’ve seen are miserable as hell

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

All These Women is hilarious

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

All These Women is hilarious

...ly terrible

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Basebf555 posted:

And then there's Fanny and Alexander, which is really funny and horribly heart breaking.

Not at the same time.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

November releases are up:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Huh, I'm surprised by Cold War. It's a good film but it must have been a really convenient licensing deal to release it so soon.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cloks posted:

Huh, I'm surprised by Cold War. It's a good film but it must have been a really convenient licensing deal to release it so soon.

anything that gets us closer to having My Summer of Love back in print

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cold War is day 1. drat near the best film of last year. I'd absolutely love if Criterion released Burning as well.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

The Persona blu is so beautiful that I found no reason to buy the whole box. It's kind of the crown jewel, tho I like the Three Films By... chamber dramas, too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

WONG BOX WHEN

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

It's not so crazy. The Lure's first physical release in the USA is the Criterion edition. It had been in distribution limbo for a couple of years.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Franchescanado posted:

It's not so crazy. The Lure's first physical release in the USA is the Criterion edition. It had been in distribution limbo for a couple of years.

Blue is the Warmest Colour also got a debut home video release from Criterion before any others.

Them having Cold War gives me hope they've also jumped on the slightly better film in the top two 2018 films, Shoplifters. I've been waffling on getting the UK release with the BFI Kore-eda boxset, but maybe I should hold out.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah most Bergman flicks I’ve seen are miserable as hell

You could also watch Hour of the Wolf for all of those times you'd like to be miserable but also feel like you're losing your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7PWFiLkKG4

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I was very glad when Cries and Whispers ended. I think I enjoyed it?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

Blue is the Warmest Colour also got a debut home video release from Criterion before any others.

Them having Cold War gives me hope they've also jumped on the slightly better film in the top two 2018 films, Shoplifters. I've been waffling on getting the UK release with the BFI Kore-eda boxset, but maybe I should hold out.

I'd love both Burning and Shoplifters.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Shoplifters 100% should be in the collection.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Wong Kar Wai already said he is remastering all of his films for next year. So probably good for next Christmas!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

this Do The Right Thing blu is exquisite, fam

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes it’s great. It was my first time seeing the movie also and it had quite the effect on me. Such a good movie. I still don’t know how I feel about the ending and that speaks a lot to me.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yes it’s great. It was my first time seeing the movie also and it had quite the effect on me. Such a good movie. I still don’t know how I feel about the ending and that speaks a lot to me.

I love to discuss this movie. So what is it about the ending for you?

Also, it's one of the few films where the special features are all worth the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At first I was mad that they would do that to Sol and not just go after the cops I felt like he didn’t “deserve it” but the more I thought about it the more I understand that the attack (imho) wasn’t really about Sol it was about the mindset around the place and what it represented. I read a few theories also that I like to view the ending as. It I wouldn’t say it’s right or wrong - basically, the title of the movie is ironic since no one did the right thing except for Mayor in the whole movie. The other thing that I like the idea behind it but wasn’t sure if it’s true but the fact that Mookie broke the storefront to distract the crowd away from Sol and his family in a way to “protect” them. I dunno, I really liked the Mookie character and feel like he would do something like that.

Great movie.