Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

What would be a better fit to home-kludge a Mordheim out of: Necromunda, Kill Team, or Warcry?

All the Old World races have AoS stats to work from, which suggests WC. But the old book is more-or-less compatible with Kill Team if you tweak the skills and specials...And Necromunda seems to have more parity with those, so huh.

My gut is telling me Kill Team, but I haven't even seen the WC book yet.
KT and Warcry won't have the progression system you'd probably want if you're trying to emulate Mordheim. Nor the crunch. I'd definitely go with Necromunda, but you'd need to really prune the weapon lists to keep things thematic. Most of the basic melee weapons (swords, flails, axes, etc.) should be fine. There are even rules for crummy shields in the latest book. Ranged weapons might get a little weird, but a Necromunda lasgun is probably a decent approximation of a Mordheim bow. For statlines, the basic gangs have a decent range to choose from and the venator list has pretty broad options to work off of if you want to represent something like a dwarf warband. There are even ogre equivalents, pets, and mercenary psykers wizards available.

It can totally be done. It'll just take some effort.

Edit:
A lot of the better items could be done as magic items. Like a power sword could be a magic sword, a bolter a magic bow/gun, van saar energy shield as a magic shield, flamer as a fire wizard's staff, etc., etc. You wouldn't need to completely eliminate this stuff, but maybe limit it a bit more.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

With Necro I could straight port over a lot of the old equipment and adapt the skill suite, and it makes thematic sense since MH was an iteration of NM to begin with.

I'll dig into how messy that'll be.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Was it? Combat was not based on 2e 40k. Everything else was just standard Warhammer stuff. Closest similarity unique to skirmish was D66 tables for injuries as far as I can tell. Even army lists were different since you purchased generic fighters in groups.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Why not just use the Mordheim rules and houserule the broken stuff? It seems weird to reinvent the wheel when you have a dusty one sitting in the corner over there...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Was it? Combat was not based on 2e 40k. Everything else was just standard Warhammer stuff. Closest similarity unique to skirmish was D66 tables for injuries as far as I can tell. Even army lists were different since you purchased generic fighters in groups.

It was in terms of the skills, experience upgrades, and organizational rules. MH introduced henchmen to NM's heroes, for example.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Why not just use the Mordheim rules and houserule the broken stuff? It seems weird to reinvent the wheel when you have a dusty one sitting in the corner over there...

Yeah this will almost certainly be the best route. I got the idea while playing KT and it occurred to me that I really enjoyed its alternating combat resolution and that the lists weren't too dissimilar from MH.

It might just be easier and smarter to back-port things into core MH and see what happens.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

moths posted:

It was in terms of the skills, experience upgrades, and organizational rules. MH introduced henchmen to NM's heroes, for example.

Eh, I don't see this as an iteration because so many of the actual gameplay mechanics were totally different. It wasn't 2e 40k. Gorkamorka and Necromunda are definitely iterations of the same system. Mordheim at best kept elements of the campaign system, but Necromunda strictly had unit types (Leaders, Gangers, Heavies, Juves) and Mordheim had categories (Heroes and Henchman) purchased differently.

Like, you could actually pit a Gorkamorka warband against a Necromunda gang and the rules were already there for them to combat each other. Mordheim wasn't playing on that game system despite sharing a mechanic here and there. Shadow Wars and previous editions of Kill Team were iterations though.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Because roll to hit, roll to wound, roll to save is a crappy mechanic and there are better systems at this point? I'm not slagging you off, but GWs core of roll/roll/roll is bad and should be retired. I've head good things about the Warcry combat mechanics, or you could try a whole new system like Rack & Ruin or A Song of Blades and Heroes, you could even use Frostgrave and skip the mages (this might be a stretch), or something else. I'm far from an expert, but there are so many options there should be something that fits for any players needs without fruitlessly patching a 20 year old game that was kind of busted upon release. Plus ranged spam in Mordheim was never properly addressed as far as I know.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Does Warcry not do hit/wound/save?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

moths posted:

Does Warcry not do hit/wound/save?

I’d need to check, but I thought it was a bit different. Maybe it’s only initiative that changed.

E: I just double checked, it isn't roll/roll/roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFm1q-m4HeM&t=1849s

Is it better? That's up to you, but I have never liked hit/wound/save, it always frustrated me.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 15, 2019

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

moths posted:

Yeah this will almost certainly be the best route. I got the idea while playing KT and it occurred to me that I really enjoyed its alternating combat resolution and that the lists weren't too dissimilar from MH.

It might just be easier and smarter to back-port things into core MH and see what happens.

My gaming pals and I are about to start a Mordheim re-skin of the Necromunda rules. No question it’s the right system to use.

The activations/action basis of the game will suit it really well. Otherwise it’s just reskinning the items and working out fighter stats.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Indolent Bastard posted:

Because roll to hit, roll to wound, roll to save is a crappy mechanic and there are better systems at this point? I'm not slagging you off, but GWs core of roll/roll/roll is bad and should be retired. I've head good things about the Warcry combat mechanics, or you could try a whole new system like Rack & Ruin or A Song of Blades and Heroes, you could even use Frostgrave and skip the mages (this might be a stretch), or something else. I'm far from an expert, but there are so many options there should be something that fits for any players needs without fruitlessly patching a 20 year old game that was kind of busted upon release. Plus ranged spam in Mordheim was never properly addressed as far as I know.

If you're looking for an elegant game, Rack & Ruin is not it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

ineptmule posted:

My gaming pals and I are about to start a Mordheim re-skin of the Necromunda rules. No question it’s the right system to use.

Ok great! I'd be very interested in helping out / observing this.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Warcry’s combat mechanics are really simple. I enjoy the initiative/doubles for special moves mechanic as well, it’s an incredibly easy game to learn, and quick to play.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That almost sounds like something out of Chain of Command or Saga. I've ordered a rulebook to check it out, and now I'm very glad i did.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

glitchkrieg posted:

If you're looking for an elegant game, Rack & Ruin is not it.

I was just searching my memory for fantasy skirmish that isn't GW.

What's wrong with R&R in your opinion?

Reynold posted:

Warcry’s combat mechanics are really simple. I enjoy the initiative/doubles for special moves mechanic as well, it’s an incredibly easy game to learn, and quick to play.

One issue I've heard people voice is that there isn't a great deal of strategy. Apparently games tend to end up with a scrum or two that result in lots of punching until one side wins.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is that because of the 3 turn limit?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

moths posted:

Dunno.

Feature Game: Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Warcry 42m33s

https://www.spreaker.com/user/10238956/episode-80-warcry

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Indolent Bastard posted:

I was just searching my memory for fantasy skirmish that isn't GW.

What's wrong with R&R in your opinion?

One issue I've heard people voice is that there isn't a great deal of strategy. Apparently games tend to end up with a scrum or two that result in lots of punching until one side wins.

There isn't much strategy, but in the game's defense, it wasn't designed to be a chess variant. It seems people like it because of that, but it is a dealbreaker for me.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So my narrative Necromunda campaign is off to a pretty good start. The normal dramas with some people not being able to make games, but we are all on the board, increasing our Gang Ratings, and playing again tomorrow night.

My method has been to set the scenario once I know who wants to play on a given territory. Anything that fits the theme. Examples:

- Played Border Dispute to fight for an unoccupied Drinking Hole. Both sides picked a fighter to start inside the bar (they'd both arrived to collect protection money at the same time) then went from there.

- Forgotten Riches in the Tech Bazaar - both sides had obviously decided to show up for a rumble, but found the whole place ominously empty instead.

- Stand Off followed by Sabotage - my idea was if only 2 people could make it for a game, give them an option for a double bill - the winner of the StandOff claimed the Slag Furnaces, but the lose could immediately play the Sabotage mission as the attacker. Winning wouldn't retake the territory, but it would 'steal' the income from it for that game.

Tomorrow we're doing games for the Mines and the Corpse Farm. The Mines will be The Trap, I'll make both gangs take an Int test for their leaders and the winner will be the attacker. Put the Unstable Dome rules into effect as well (blasts can expand as they cause cave-ins).

Bit stuck for what to do for corpse farm, frankly. It's a lot easier to imagine missions once you have a set attacker/defender, lots of the Necromunda missions are actually very evocative for that sort of thing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

Dunno.

Feature Game: Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Warcry 42m33s

https://www.spreaker.com/user/10238956/episode-80-warcry

That was a good listen, but I wonder how much their experience was hurt by the starter armies both being melee-focused.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

If I’m looking to get into Necromunda at this point and pick up the Enforcers or maybe Delaques is there any point in getting the big Underhive box? I know they redid the rulebook a little while back and I have plenty of terrain so I’d need what, dice and templates?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

head58 posted:

If I’m looking to get into Necromunda at this point and pick up the Enforcers or maybe Delaques is there any point in getting the big Underhive box? I know they redid the rulebook a little while back and I have plenty of terrain so I’d need what, dice and templates?
I wouldn't bother with the box set unless you want Goliath and Escher gangs. Like you said, the rulebook has been updated along with the gang lists in the standalone books. The box set does have some scatter terrain and the basic ZM tiles, but those aren't necessary, especially if you've got terrain and will be playing 3D scenarios. For dice, GW puts out gang sets when they drop a new kit, but they sell out and the only ones currently available are the enforcer dice. GW also doesn't carry templates anymore, but FW does. Alternatively, you could try ebay for both, but no guarantees there.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

moths posted:

I've mentioned this in the other thread but there are definitely scenarios that last longer than three battle rounds, many of them don't even activate any battlefield effects until turn 4.

Indolent Bastard posted:

This can be an issue especially for the Iron Golems from the starter who are slow and melee-focused but I've found you just don't want to get involved in slugfests like that at all, usually. Many of the objectives are going to make players want to cut and run from battles to hold objectives or keep key fighters alive. I haven't really had a game yet where it's come down to locking in and trading turns rolling dice at each other. You only have so many activations for your team! Why waste them pounding a puny 60 point model down instead of trying to win the game?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

I wouldn't bother with the box set unless you want Goliath and Escher gangs. Like you said, the rulebook has been updated along with the gang lists in the standalone books. The box set does have some scatter terrain and the basic ZM tiles, but those aren't necessary, especially if you've got terrain and will be playing 3D scenarios. For dice, GW puts out gang sets when they drop a new kit, but they sell out and the only ones currently available are the enforcer dice. GW also doesn't carry templates anymore, but FW does. Alternatively, you could try ebay for both, but no guarantees there.

Thanks. I’m sure 3rd party templates are out there somewhere. For books I need the rules, gangs, and judgement right?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

head58 posted:

Thanks. I’m sure 3rd party templates are out there somewhere. For books I need the rules, gangs, and judgement right?
To get started, you'll just need the rulebook and the gangs book. The Book of Peril and Book of Judgement are nice supplements, but aren't necessary. Keep things relatively simple at the start and just grab the two books you need to get going. The others can wait.

Edit: poo poo, I realized you said you wanted to play Enforcers. Uh, yeah, you'll want the Book of Judgement, then. :downs: On the bright side, it's a solid book.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 15, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Enforcers seem weird because they are pretty limited in what gear they can take, but boy is all of it pretty good. I am interested in hearing how they play in a normal campaign and not the one they are designed for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Very tempted to build an enforcers force with Judge Dredd models, or greenstuff giant shoulderpads onto existing models

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-47/all-bits/heads/executioners-heads.html

dredd heads if you go the converting way

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
Poor form for the delay, but me and Sex Cannon just started up a series of Necromunda write-ups.

So far we've covered the Enforcers, we're gonna run down the main additions from the new book before branching out into other 'Munda info.
There just seems to be so little stuff on this entire game system floating around on the net, even on the Yak. It's crazy!

https://www.goonhammer.com/necromunday-your-move-creep-initial-impressions-of-the-palanite-enforcers/

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

I saw this one on Facebook and wondered if it was goon made or a coincidence.
Good read, very informative and spot on about the skill rating.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I have a bunch of Iron Warriors hanging out in a carry case that I built and painted back in like...2000 or so. I’m wondering, if I buy the rulebook and some terrain, would I be able to leverage those models into a Kill Team? Or do I need fresh models that I can build with specialized weapons and the like?

Basically I want to see if I can get any use out of these guys since they’ve just been sitting around for almost two decades.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

TotalHell posted:

I have a bunch of Iron Warriors hanging out in a carry case that I built and painted back in like...2000 or so. I’m wondering, if I buy the rulebook and some terrain, would I be able to leverage those models into a Kill Team? Or do I need fresh models that I can build with specialized weapons and the like?

Basically I want to see if I can get any use out of these guys since they’ve just been sitting around for almost two decades.

Well you’ll probably be fine. Most of the marines in a chaos marine kill team will be running around with a boltgun (or chainsword). You can have one with a flamer, melta or plasma gun instead. Also one with a heavy bolter too.

If you got something for cultists, you can have them around too.

The Elites rulebook adds terminators and possessed to the mix btw.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mad Robot also has some: Enforcer Heads or Space Police Heads.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

The correct head conversion is always banana head.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3744321

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Sold.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

The correct head conversion is always banana head.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3744321

Wait, does anyone sell Earthworm Jim heads in Space Marine scale? Because that's an army right there.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Wait, does anyone sell Earthworm Jim heads in Space Marine scale? Because that's an army right there.

I mean, if you aggressively hate Trans people I guess? The creator has... Thoughts.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I mean, if you aggressively hate Trans people I guess? The creator has... Thoughts.

Ugh. That's disappointing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, it is a real shame. I always liked his comics and stuff, but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well poo poo, now I just hear "TERFworm Jim."