Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koalas March posted:

ty for educating those 2 black posters about racism and stereotypes

Ctfu at Pick sitting us down, holding each of our hands, staring deep into our eyes and taking a deep breath: “There’s something I need to tell you. About white people.”

New Cloverfield sequel looking...very boring for Black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

WIBTA if I cost my neighbor of hundreds of dollars for taking my cat to the pound without even telling me

quote:

Sorry for any typos for formatting issues, I’m on mobile

About a week ago our family cat went missing, we thought it might come back but for a few days it did not show up at all. We panicked and felt scared for our cats safety as there is a river semi-near us. Eventually, through the pound’s website we found hat our cat had been taken by the council. After we go her back, we needed to figure who did this. We asked around and found out that our neighbor had done it to other people in he neighborhood; give the cat to the council because it is on their property (which they can legally do) but not tell us at all, while they know we are worried. The main issue is that every night we were calling out the cats name, and they did nothing at all.

I thought of a idea for vengeance, it turns out that the neighbors garage is on our property, so I could cost them a lot of money by reporting this to the local council, as they would have to pay for inspection (or whatever it is called) and if the council says so, they will have to pay for the reconstruction (keep in mind this is a full brick-metal garage)

Will I be the rear end in a top hat if I do this?

TLDR: neighbor handed cat into local council and never told us which made us panic, we will get back at them by making them renovate which will cost money

Edit: spelling

Yesss a proper spite story

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yawgmoth posted:

If you don't trust someone to serve you a non-roofied drink, then you should "look out for [yourself]" by not going to their house in the first place.

You are absolutely right; more women should stop going to parties hosted by straight men.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Frankly, there was no winning for her. Either she leaves because some guy sending off skeevy vibes is making her unasked-for drinks [and then interrupts everyone else's good time because she's 'paranoid'] or she does what she can to make sure the drink is safe - which is what she did. And then got kicked out for it.

she could also just politely refuse the drink with any number of excuses rather than accusing the host of the party of being a potential rapist. refusing the drink is fine, he should have asked before he started handing out drinks. "no, thanks, i've had enough" is a great excuse. "are you trying to poison me" is not a good excuse

everyone was drunk and dumb in this story, and said drunk poo poo that caused problems

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
White people do probably know more about white people culture wrt the narrative that is peddled to us to incite racist beliefs among whites.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Yawgmoth posted:

If you don't trust someone to serve you a non-roofied drink, then you should "look out for [yourself]" by not going to their house in the first place.

Why do so many of you think this guy was wearing a "I will drug and rape you" shirt? Vast majority of the time a woman is drugged to be raped, the rapist seems like a nice guy. Besides, she asked a coworker she knew well enough if she watched the drink be made and he overheard it. She didn't come right out and say "You could have drugged that to rape me" she continued to decline the drink while he inferred all kinds of poo poo and made a scene.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

Yawgmoth posted:

I have the time to fruitlessly try to educate you dips about the insanely high rates of acquaintance rape because I no longer attend private happy hours. I also have been promoted only once in 15 years.

Have you never been in a social situation where everyone else wants to do something and you don't, but you go anyways because you're the ride?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Yawgmoth posted:

Geez are some of you babies. All she did is refuse a drink that she didn't ask for or see made. That is prudent.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Man some people cannot help themselves with the victim blaming

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why do so many of you think this guy was wearing a "I will drug and rape you" shirt? Vast majority of the time a woman is drugged to be raped, the rapist seems like a nice guy. Besides, she asked a coworker she knew well enough if she watched the drink be made and he overheard it. She didn't come right out and say "You could have drugged that to rape me" she continued to decline the drink while he inferred all kinds of poo poo and made a scene.

you're right, rereading and the dude is being a big wenis about his amateur bar

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Pick posted:

Wait did someone suggest that SBC helps reclaim the unfair perception of African American culture? Look at the end of the day, twisty rhetoric can get you a decent grade on a college essay, but the contents of those stories absolutely reinforce a racist narrative. It's like how pride parades have done jack poo poo in the last 20 years to make straight people think homosexuals aren't just a horny pain in the rear end. It's not fair but the rules were written by the power brokers.

I get what you're saying but this attitude also puts the onus on individual members of a race to "represent" their entire race in public. No one is asking you and me why we're ok shooting up Walmarts full of Mexicans, for example. I think we can extend the courtesy to a POC to be allowed to post about their hosed up shitbag lives/decisions without fretting about what it says (or what we worry others think it says) about their race or whatever. As teenage witch said, it doesn't matter how good or bad you behave - at the end of the day you are what you are in the eyes of a racist.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

For all we know she trusted the guy until he insisted she drink the drink he made her so this "She shouldn't have gone to his house in the first place" is dumb bullshit.

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse

DemoneeHo posted:

WIBTA if I cost my neighbor of hundreds of dollars for taking my cat to the pound without even telling me

Yesss a proper spite story

Definitely wouldn't BTA in this scenario. Down with the cat snitchers

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AITA for scaring my my daughter to teach her not to scare animals?

quote:

My daughter is 8, and has developed a bad habit of scaring and disturbing animals for fun.

She would jump from behind with a stomp and a "WA!" to any animals minding their own business, be it birds, stray cats and dogs and even butterflies and give them a fright, usually resulting them to either run or fly away.

We tried talking and scolding her, but she just brushed them off. She thought it was okay as long as she doesn't physically harm them.

So a while earlier she was on the sofa playing Nintendo switch, looking very focused, and I decided to let her have a taste of her own medicine.

I approached her from the back quietly before snatching the controller from above(in case she dropped it) with a stomp and a "WA!". She was dazed for a moment before bursting into tears.

My wife called me a childish AH for scaring her like that, but I meant it as a lesson for her to know how animals feel like when she scared them since words could not get to her. AITA?

Edit: I did talked to her and explain why I did it after she calmed down but my wife got in the way and insisted I apologise and make it up for her. I don't think that's appropriate since that defeats the purpose of teaching her a lesson, so I ended up posting on reddit to see if I am really in the wrong.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Bramble posted:

As teenage witch said, it doesn't matter how good or bad you behave - at the end of the day you are what you are in the eyes of a racist.

forgot you were paraphrasing another poster and got real confused about which episode of Sabrina I missed

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And let's say she decides to submit to peer pressure and take the drink because he's making a scene and he says "Okay, sorry about that, you can stay" and it ends up that she was right to be cautious because he drugs and rapes her? I feel there would be a lot of "Why would you accept a drink from someone you don't know that well and didn't see being made?" because she absolutely must be at fault somehow.

Marchofthepenguins
Jun 1, 2016

Mental hygiene should be practiced after every meal
She tried to quietly ask her friend if she saw the drink being made, the guy started directly confronting her about it and demanding explanations, and made her do the socially awkward thing of either caving and taking the drink against her boundaries or verbalizing her reasons for refusing the drink, instead of just letting her quietly pass on the drink.

Honestly if it was me I'd probably take the drink, ask my friend if she'd seen it made, and then toss it specifically in case the guy acted like a giant argumentative baby about it like he did.

AITA for not knowing my BFs ethnicity?

quote:

My BF and I have been together for roughly three years. The last time we talked about his ethnicity was within our first couple of dates years ago.

Today, we were talking about how a friend thought that BF was latino. We kinda laughed about it, but then BF said "What do you think I am?" And I said "Filipino" and BF was shocked and awkwardly laughed.

I feel very bad because my BF is actually a mix of Chinese, Indonesian, and White. I also feel very bad because I've told so many people wrong information.

After that, I sat there awkwardly and BF just said "Okay... Let's just move on". It really was just an honest mistake, but AITA for not knowing?

Edit: I'm a man not a woman.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

These motherfuckers both made the post and then submitted it to Reddit to vote on their relationship.

AITA for wanting my girlfriend to wear makeup and take care of body hair?

quote:

I know how the title sounds, hear me out. My [26M] gf [24F] takes forever in the bathroom. Upwards of 1 hour, sometimes closer to 2. When I playfully ribbed her about this, she'd get irritated but nothing major. 3 months ago I was playfully teasing her and she flipped out. She said she won't do anything anymore, and true to her word she hasn't shaved, waxed, or put on makeup since then, and wears her hair looking like bedhead. I told her that I got her point and would appreciate it if she resumed doing things that I also do to stay presentable. Her head hair improved a bit (although not even close to how it was before) but she still has hair on her legs and underarms, semi-unibrow etc. Now she's saying I have to pay her to resume taking care of herself, which I find crazy as I'm not her sugar daddy. Why should I pay for her to upkeep herself like she's my sugar baby?

I understand that it's her body, her choice etc., but if there are any guys out there who think they would be ok if their gf had long underarm hair then you're a better man than me. I haven't pushed her to do anything, nor am I enforcing any ultimatums. If, as she says, I've been conditioned to want her to look a certain way... well, that sucks, but it's not my fault. If we broke up, she'd pay for all of this beauty stuff herself, so why should I pay? Anyone who says I'm TA, are you going to then start paying for all your girlfriends' beauty regimens, or else be fine with 100% body hair and no makeup or hair care ever? Be honest with yourselves.

Gf's side:
He keeps being a dick about how long I would take in the bathroom, so as he said, I quit things he didn't even realize I was doing. No makeup, no shaving/waxing, no brows, no waxing those moustache hairs, I have curly frizzy hair so I stopped using product or straightening/curling with an iron, no mani/pedi, no touching up or redoing my highlights. Do I look like a beast? Sure. Am I a comfy, smug beast? Hell yes.

He rightfully pointed out that he takes care of himself for me (by shaving his beard and cutting his hair), so I obligingly waxed my upper lip and got a haircut. I'm continuing to do this whole thing because 1) it's so much less effort for me, 2) it's way cheaper, and 3) now that I stopped, I feel like... why do I ever have to do all this poo poo. It's unfair. And if I have to do it because both of us have been conditioned to see me doing these things as the basic standards for a woman, then he should pay half the costs. I conservatively spend at least $1k a year on brows, shaving supplies, hair products, highlights, haircuts, and makeup. Conservatively. He should have to pay me at least half if he wants me to do it, and extra for painful things like bikini waxes if he wants me to do them again. Otherwise it's not fair.

Both: We love each other a lot and aren't actually fighting. We recognized that we're having a difference in opinion, and since neither has been able to sway the other we came to the court of public opinion.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
^^^
ETH jesus christ.

Pickwick High posted:

Definitely wouldn't BTA in this scenario. Down with the cat snitchers
So I went to see about my cat, and funny thing about your concern with property... :getin:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 15, 2019

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

AITA for scaring my my daughter to teach her not to scare animals?

loving hate kids that do this, and had to tell my niece to knock it off this morning while we were feeding birds at the river. If giving the little poo poo a scare is what it takes, do it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Bramble posted:

I get what you're saying but this attitude also puts the onus on individual members of a race to "represent" their entire race in public. No one is asking you and me why we're ok shooting up Walmarts full of Mexicans, for example. I think we can extend the courtesy to a POC to be allowed to post about their hosed up shitbag lives/decisions without fretting about what it says (or what we worry others think it says) about their race or whatever. As teenage witch said, it doesn't matter how good or bad you behave - at the end of the day you are what you are in the eyes of a racist.

And I'm saying that the onus is essentially on them, and that it isn't fair, but what's is essence media messaging/ advertising does not maintain the standard of being fair.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

duck trucker posted:

For all we know she trusted the guy until he insisted she drink the drink he made her so this "She shouldn't have gone to his house in the first place" is dumb bullshit.

If that's the point where she became concerned for her safety, that's when she should have left. Sticking around in the home of someone you are concerned is putting you in physical danger while implicitly telling that person that you are concerned they want to attack you is an odd half-measure.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AITA for backing out of selling my niece my 1964 1/2 Mustang at "family price" after I heard her boyfriend wants to modify it with bass, huge wheels, etc...?

quote:

Since there is family drama in this I'm posting from a throwaway. Going to try very hard to keep this in 3000 word limit.

So in 1964 my grandpa bought what is probably the first Mustang ever sold in our state. He rarely drove it, kept it covered in his garage and did all the required maintenance on time. I got it from his estate when he passed away. It is one of the only 1964 1/2 mustangs in existence that has all matching numbers, original paint, original interior, wheels and with little to zero rust. It's also a convertible which shoots the value up considerably. It's almost impossible to price, but a car this model that has been repainted and interior redone can exceed well in advance of $50k. I'm had offers from collectors to buy the car sight unseen for $75 and $100. To modify it even slightly would not only wreck the value, it would also really destroy a piece of American automotive history.

So two things happened recently, we found out my wife's mother is really sick and need to move to NYC and we can't afford to park a vintage car in the city. Secondly my niece came into some money from her other grandparents side. She has just as good of memories of my grandpa (her great grandpa) driving her slowly around the country in his precious mustang. Without knowing we were moving, she asked if I'd be willing to sell her the car.

We talked extensively about the car's real value vs what she could afford (about $15000) and how if I sell it to her at that price, a huge condition of the sale is that it stays in the family and it can't under any circumstances be modified for all the reasons I listed above. I was very explicit because I know her long running (and very abrasive) boyfriend is a "bass god" (or so he has stenciled on his truck) and was worried he might think the mustang was his play toy. She promised me over and over again that she understood what a special deal she was getting and she would never abuse or modify the car.

She and the bass god came over and he instantly started talking about cutting it apart to fit his huge wheels, tearing out the back seat for his speakers, etc.. (I'm sorry I ran out of room, this was a much longer exchange than I can type here) basically I told her the deal is off and she walked away crying that I was a jerk for backing out like this. I tried to tell her I can't let $85000 in value disappear with single cut because he wants a new toy.

Then I got several calls from my aunt and mom accusing me of being very lovely to my niece by not keeping our agreement. They don't understand all the value at stake her and my aunt lost her patience with me as I was trying to explain and said "your dad's an rear end in a top hat, you've always been an rear end in a top hat and you're proving it now!" and hung up on me.

Basically to me the deal is done so I'm not looking for advice on what to do with the car, rather judgment on whether I did the rear end in a top hat thing or not?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Sunswipe posted:

loving hate kids that do this, and had to tell my niece to knock it off this morning while we were feeding birds at the river. If giving the little poo poo a scare is what it takes, do it.

At least this parent gives a poo poo. I used to live in an apartment complex and see parents encouraging their kids to throw things at the stray cats, step on their tails, etc.

EDIT:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If that's the point where she became concerned for her safety, that's when she should have left. Sticking around in the home of someone you are concerned is putting you in physical danger while implicitly telling that person that you are concerned they want to attack you is an odd half-measure.

So she should have left in the two minutes between turning down the drink and him kicking her out? Is that why she's the one at fault? Give me a loving break.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 15, 2019

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Come on man

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

At least this parent gives a poo poo. I used to live in an apartment complex and see parents encouraging their kids to throw things at the stray cats, step on their tails, etc.

I am instantly angry.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

We’d all be shut ins then.

Really though, women can’t win. If we’re overly cautious, we’re seen as being bitchy and suspicious. Have a little trust in someone? Whoops, your friend just date raped you even though you probably were into him in the first place.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

White people do probably know more about white people culture wrt the narrative that is peddled to us to incite racist beliefs among whites.

And Black people know better what we’d like to do with it, k? Also, most of us have our own set of racist white family members or ancestors to help us out with that decision making process because, well, you know.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was at the zoo once and they had peacocks roaming freely on the path. When I saw this kid sneaking up behind it I called him out and told him to stop. One of his siblings (like 13 or something) told me not to butt in and I threatened to throw him over the wall into the zebra enclosure.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AITA for grounding my daughter because she called my SIL a “slut”?

quote:

My daughter (14yo) posted a picture of a family get together on social media. A boy from school recognized her aunt from an adult film and messaged my daughter about it. I believe he sent a video to her as well. Before this, she had no idea her aunt was in the industry. It appears that boy spread this around the school and my daughter is being teased for it. I notified the school and they are looking into it and will plan to educate the students about sexism online.

My husband and I are respectful and non-judgmental of my SIL’s profession and have tried to teach these values to our children. My daughter is understandably upset and I feel for her, but she is directing all her anger and blame towards her aunt. She unfriended my SIL from social media and removed all traces of her from her profiles. She refuses to join us for weekly dinners at my SIL house and when they come over, she ignores them and just sits in her room playing minecraft. I tried talking to her about tolerance, shame, and sexism, but it she is dismissive of all of it.

My SIL is hurt from all of this. Not only did she have her privacy invaded, but she lost a good relationship with her niece. Last weekend, I went upstairs to my daughters room to try and talk to her and get her to join us downstairs. My daughter refused and referred my SIL as “a vapid slut” and her husband “a pathetic cuck” along with other slurs I don’t want to repeat.

I grounded her for three months and took away her internet. My husband definitely thinks that she should be punished for using that language, but that’s too much. He also admitted he struggled accepting his sister’s career path at first. He thinks she just needs space and will come around eventually because her aunt is family.

EDIT: Seems like my husband is right and I went too far with the punishment. I just never imagined those hurtful words coming from her mouth. I’m going to scale it back to two or three weeks or something like that. Will decide with the husband later. We’re definitely concerned for our daughter about what’s happening at school and we’re looking into therapy.

For clarification, as for my SIL’s privacy, she didn’t consent to have her real name revealed to the world or have her films and her personal information be passed around by 14yo boys.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

gently caress off with this. She acted like a normal human being

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Imo take her to a place with some real nasty feral cats and let her go hog wild. Good educational experience

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

bartender man forced the issue out of her, he was the one to start being a social weird by being sensitive and prying into why she turned down the drink

she can be concerned for her safety without making a scene, dude insisted on making a scene by 86ing her from his own basement

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for how I handled this coworker insulting me?

quote:

I'm 28 and when I was 24 mum died of breast cancer, after both of my nanas also died of it. I got some tests done and found that I did have some potentially cancerous cells in my breast tissue, and the doctor said I could either wait and see if they did turn harmful or I could get ahead of it and get a double mastectomy. I got the double mastectomy.

I was warned about scarring but not the extent of it and wound up with scars an inch long and half an inch wide on my chest, and I hated the way it looked. It got to the stage where it was having a serious impact on my mental health, I felt sick seeing myself, and I wouldn't leave my flat.

I went to a therapist, who did some CBT with me before she suggested seeing a plastic surgeon about scar reduction. The plastic surgeon said the scars could be hidden with implants. I was naturally big, an F cup, before the mastectomy so I opted to go with slightly smaller but still fairly large DD sized implants, they hid the scars pretty well and I'm happy with them. My mental health improved and I felt comfortable in my own skin again.

A few months ago I was at work having lunch with this friend of mine and we were planning a holiday. She made a joke about my boobs exploding on the plane. The friend knew me before the surgery and I knew she wasn't being mean so I laughed.

A coworker, Jill, overheard and not knowing about the cancer thing, told everyone that I'd had a boob job. She hated me from then on out, and she's made a bunch of jokes to other coworkers, calling me "fake in two ways" and "more plastic than Barbie", all when I was in earshot. I've asked her to stop more than once.

We were all having lunch today (me, Jill, and a few others) and a coworker, Bob, was talking about his daughter wanting to marry this guy who "has nothing going for him" and I said that Bob was being a little shallow. Jill replied "well, you'd know all about being shallow", gesturing at my chest.

I'd had enough and said "do you know why I have these? A few years ago the doctors found potentially cancerous cells in my breast tissue, I was advised to get a double mastectomy by a doctor and was left with huge ugly scars on my chest. I went to see a therapist and cosmetic surgeon, who advised me to get implants to hide the scars, and I did just so I could look at myself in the mirror without crying. So maybe next time you want to judge someone for having cosmetic surgery, you should ask them why they had it first". And feeling like that was a mic drop moment I picked up my food and left.

Someone from the lunch room came to talk to me, saying Jill was just joking, I was being oversensitive and a bitch about it when Jill didn't know about the cancerous cells. I replied that maybe Jill shouldn't have been a bitch to begin with. It's the end of the day now and half the office seems to side with Jill and the other half with me.

AITA?

EDIT: HR want to see me about "creating a hostile work environment" so looks like someone reported either me or Jill or both

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
How do kids from school know how a classmate's aunt looks well enough to pick them out in a porno?

Also, being a constantly horrible person to someone isn't a "joke".

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 15, 2019

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

I feel like this must be a guy myth, like Stranger Danger: the idea that someone who would roofie a drink would broadcast unmistakable creep vibes and be easy to avoid. There's no way to tell, and right now you probably know at least two or three people who've attempted date rape but would never suspect.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jill clearly sucks rear end

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

chitoryu12 posted:

AITA for grounding my daughter because she called my SIL a “slut”?

The daughter is the only real victim here. While SIL didn't consent to being doxxed, she absolutely did consent to having her videos passed around and the negative social consequences that are affecting not only her, but this kid who is still in middle school. For practical reasons she shouldn't keep an online presence that is connected to her real name and family. She exposed her niece to this risk. The fact that people look down on adult film actors kind of sucks, but she's the adult here and should have taken steps to protect the rest of her family who are not involved in her career.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for how I handled this coworker insulting me?

Good for this lady and now she'll probably be fired for causing trouble or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

luxury handset posted:

bartender man forced the issue out of her, he was the one to start being a social weird by being sensitive and prying into why she turned down the drink

she can be concerned for her safety without making a scene, dude insisted on making a scene by 86ing her from his own basement

If someone reacted this absurdly to me not knowing them like that, I would assume he had done it in the past, let it happen, or thought about it. Why else be so sensitive about something so not personal.