Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
: "A 11 horas del anuncio, Mauricio Macri dejó sin efecto el congelamiento del precio de los combustibles por tres meses"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
That's how long his commitments last. It's been happening since he was inaugurated.

The government is trapped in the ultimate catch-22: they can't do what they should do (actual measures protecting the consumer market, SMEs, the poor) lest they anger the shrinking electoral base and the IMF, nor they can continue in their pursuit of free markets (or whatever they were doing, because that didn't look like liberalism to me, more like cronysm supported by public works conglomerates) bringing everyone down on a race to the bottom.

Macri ain't a lame duck, he's a loving paraplegic duck.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Silver lining for Argentinians: Steam games are now on sale for 30% off.

Sort of. You'll be paying purchases in dollars (which includes Steam and Netflix, for example) from your credit card statement at the current dollar price. You can just use Rapipago/PagoFacil and skip that whole problem, of course.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
i guess its unfair that i never had a salary get liquidated by hyperinflation and my parents did

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™

ArfJason posted:

Maybe personal but profession? Thats ounds like ingeniero en sistemas

Im a psychologist working as an accountant in an hmo.

I wish i was in IT

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Dek posted:

Im a psychologist working as an accountant in an hmo.

I wish i was in IT

how did you make the switch from psych to accounting, finished another degree? or took some kind of course?

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™

Doctor Jeep posted:

how did you make the switch from psych to accounting, finished another degree? or took some kind of course?

When you enter high school you can choose different orientations, one is accounting. I'm a "Perito Mercantil"
I started working here to support myself while studying, when I graduated it became difficult to start my own practice, and soon after macri happend. I can't leave a work that pays moderately well and have health benefits, less now that my wife is preagnant.
I now have my own practice, but it doesn't generate enough money to support a family.

I always failed accounting subjects. but it turns out that in the end I can perform quite well.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmtwCxI_sW4

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/revistaanfibia/status/1162044945735344128?s=21

Saw this article and it made me wonder: does anyone in Argentina actually think there will be a “fernandismo”? I was assuming most people had no illusions about what the dynamic was going to be.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
He's a cfk puppet lol

Nobody believes otherwise

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™

Transient People posted:

He's a cfk puppet lol

Nobody believes otherwise

They said Nestor was Dhualde's puppet... and look how it turned out.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm firmly in the "If CFK wanted to be president again she would be running for that right now" camp. My read is she showed up to give all the Kirchnerists someone they could rally behind without actually having to govern. Any other reading sounds conspiranoid to me. I could be wrong, but I see no evidence to indicate otherwise.

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/revistaanfibia/status/1162044945735344128?s=21

Saw this article and it made me wonder: does anyone in Argentina actually think there will be a “fernandismo”? I was assuming most people had no illusions about what the dynamic was going to be.

Analysts in Argentina are too eager to decree that each political group aligns completely behind a leader. You don't only have the obvious peronismo but also kirchnerismo, cristinismo for Cristina Kirchner, macrismo for Macri, carriotismo (???) for Carrió, lavagnismo (!?!) for Lavagna... The reality is that allegiances are as fluid as they are elsewhere and these are just shorthand for stupid articles. There's no clear cut, monolithic ideology or unrelenting acolytes behind any of these.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Tony Sorete posted:

carriotismo

that'd be horrifying

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

GimmickMan posted:

I'm firmly in the "If CFK wanted to be president again she would be running for that right now" camp. My read is she showed up to give all the Kirchnerists someone they could rally behind without actually having to govern. Any other reading sounds conspiranoid to me. I could be wrong, but I see no evidence to indicate otherwise.

You think she lost too much political capital to run and gave up the reins to someone else then? Cause I could see that too, but I'm not sure if her base turned against her like that. Definitely felt like she wanted to run for a very long time.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think the big issue is the big ideological shift that will happen ie will capital and some price controls are restored or not. What will be done with the IMF or the US/China?

Admittedly, Macri may be a bit lucky because the damage of his administration will likely last for years.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ardennes posted:

I think the big issue is the big ideological shift that will happen ie will capital and some price controls are restored or not. What will be done with the IMF or the US/China?

Admittedly, Macri may be a bit lucky because the damage of his administration will likely last for years.

Picking sides between USA/China is something that hopefully won't happen because both are good business partners and horrible otherwise

Capital and price controls...is gonna be interesting, cause the way the investors reacted to Fernandez winning, I don't expect them to try to get close to us any time soon. Hopefully this forces our own industrial complex to be revitalized? But that's probably a pipedream, tbqh.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys9GlRowehI

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
thought of that video again and it still makes my stomach churn. jesus christ

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Transient People posted:

You think she lost too much political capital to run and gave up the reins to someone else then? Cause I could see that too, but I'm not sure if her base turned against her like that. Definitely felt like she wanted to run for a very long time.

I don't think she ever lost that much political capital. People say that she attached herself to Alberto because she herself alone couldn't possibly win, but what people saying this are missing is that the rest of the PJ needed CFK more than CFK needed the rest of the PJ. Yes, she lost the 2017 legislatives, but FPV was still the 2nd strongest force in the country. PJ lacked a strong presidential candidate to the point they even had to beg Lavagna to present himself as one (their motto for 2019's run was "There is a 2019" for gently caress's sake, that's how low their standards were, they celebrated their mere existence). Lavagna didn't want anything to do with this nonsense and almost didn't go to the PASO, because he kept saying for months he would either be "supported by the whole party" (which is impossible) or "not run at all".

Meanwhile people had been bugging CFK since 2017 to announce her candidacy or to at least say she did not intend to run, because her image was (supposedly) comparable to Macri's for those two years, yet she spent most of that time silent when she could've easily been nonstop campaigning.

Add that to all the things she's been saying about the effects of her war with Clarin on her personal life, most critically the deterioration of Florencia's health, and it looks to me that she doesn't want the baggage that comes with a presidency anymore.

But that's just my reading. Maybe her egyptian pharaoh complex will reemerge december 11 and she'll be screaming obscenities while interrupting people's novelas again.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Transient People posted:

Picking sides between USA/China is something that hopefully won't happen because both are good business partners and horrible otherwise

It won't happen with you guys but Bolsonaro is trying to go full in with the USA for a while now even though a lot of his big business supporters think it's going to be catastrophic lol

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Dek posted:

They said Nestor was Dhualde's puppet... and look how it turned out.

Duhalde was weaker than CFK and Nestor was stronger than Alberto.

Alberto doesn't manage anything, that's what is "off" about the dynamic. He doesn't have a current post, nor does he have a provincial party answering to him. He has people who back him, but he has no solid support base that won't just defect overnight (this is Argentina after all). CFK has lots of traditional support networks, and her own party-with-a-party in the form of the campora.

anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GToxlmUzYI4

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

I don't think she ever lost that much political capital. People say that she attached herself to Alberto because she herself alone couldn't possibly win, but what people saying this are missing is that the rest of the PJ needed CFK more than CFK needed the rest of the PJ. Yes, she lost the 2017 legislatives, but FPV was still the 2nd strongest force in the country. PJ lacked a strong presidential candidate to the point they even had to beg Lavagna to present himself as one (their motto for 2019's run was "There is a 2019" for gently caress's sake, that's how low their standards were, they celebrated their mere existence). Lavagna didn't want anything to do with this nonsense and almost didn't go to the PASO, because he kept saying for months he would either be "supported by the whole party" (which is impossible) or "not run at all".

Meanwhile people had been bugging CFK since 2017 to announce her candidacy or to at least say she did not intend to run, because her image was (supposedly) comparable to Macri's for those two years, yet she spent most of that time silent when she could've easily been nonstop campaigning.

Add that to all the things she's been saying about the effects of her war with Clarin on her personal life, most critically the deterioration of Florencia's health, and it looks to me that she doesn't want the baggage that comes with a presidency anymore.

But that's just my reading. Maybe her egyptian pharaoh complex will reemerge december 11 and she'll be screaming obscenities while interrupting people's novelas again.

Yeah, it's that pharaoh complex that had me thinking this is just her using a patsy...but it's important to remember she's human too so this is totally possible. Who really knows with this country lmao

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is it okay if I ask some "baby's first Latin America" questions?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Nothing to lose from it! Talking about our misery helps us feel a little better. :v:

What do you want to know about?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Just watch Esperando la Carroza, it'll tell you all you need to know about Argentina and from there you can extrapolate to the rest of the latino countries

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Okay.

The first question I have is why are countries like Brazil and what not so relatively populated compared to their colonizer countries? Portugal is a tiny nation, yet Brazil is like the 8th most populated in the world. Spain is a mid-size country yet it's colonies number in the hundred millions. Did these nations just have crazy high birth rates after the initial immigrants came in?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay.

The first question I have is why are countries like Brazil and what not so relatively populated compared to their colonizer countries? Portugal is a tiny nation, yet Brazil is like the 8th most populated in the world. Spain is a mid-size country yet it's colonies number in the hundred millions. Did these nations just have crazy high birth rates after the initial immigrants came in?

They're not, though. Latin American countries are incredibly sparsely populated, compared to European countries.

Brazil has three times the population of the United Kingdom in 40 times the surface area. Argentina has 7 times the area of Germany but only half the population.

The answer is Latin American countries are loving huge and that's skewing the proportions.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

They're not, though. Latin American countries are incredibly sparsely populated, compared to European countries.

Brazil has three times the population of the United Kingdom in 40 times the surface area. Argentina has 7 times the area of Germany but only half the population.

The answer is Latin American countries are loving huge and that's skewing the proportions.

This is true, Latin American countries can't crack the Top 30 in population density, even with all the migration of europeans, slaves and the native population at the time.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/countries-by-density/

Puerto Rico is highest at 36. Large countries like Brazil, Argentina and Mexico aren't even in the Top 100.

EDIT: The United States has a higher population density than Brazil.

El Chingon fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 16, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I was under the impression that almost all the white people who went to Brazil were Portuguese.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Transient People posted:

Arguably China may not care, but the US certainly does, especially when it comes to geopolitical questions.

quote:

Capital and price controls...is gonna be interesting, cause the way the investors reacted to Fernandez winning, I don't expect them to try to get close to us any time soon. Hopefully this forces our own industrial complex to be revitalized? But that's probably a pipedream, tbqh.

Granted, it seems a unwinnable situation, since in order to gain foreign investment it requires a unsustainable currency policy. It is basically why much of why Latin America may always be screwed. In addition, a much cheaper peso will make exports less expensive, the government is going to be under a lot of pressure from creditors.

That said, investors have already sent their message.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was under the impression that almost all the white people who went to Brazil were Portuguese.

Nope. Southern Brazil had a big, BIG influx of German and Italian immigrants, as a means to "whiten" the Brazilian population even, pre-WW1. The state I'm from, Rio Grande do Sul, is actually very white and has a lot of people with German or Italian last names.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

El Chingon posted:

This is true, Latin American countries can't crack the Top 30 in population density, even with all the migration of europeans, slaves and the native population at the time.

The native population at the time went from outpopulating Europe to only a few million in the span of a decade.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not really, there was a huge migration drive by japanese, italians and germans during the late 1800s and early 1900s due to the coffee boom to the south/southeast region and encouraged by the government who believed heavily in eugenics and wanted to 'whiten' the country.

E: Darn, beaten

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Ardennes posted:

China may not care

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Why would so many Europeans pick Brazil and other Latin American countries over say America and Canada, being that the latter were so much more developed?

Conspiratiorist posted:

The native population at the time went from outpopulating Europe to only a few million in the span of a decade.

The plagues were that bad...

Jesus Christ it was the apocalypse.

Plutonis posted:

Not really, there was a huge migration drive by japanese, italians and germans during the late 1800s and early 1900s due to the coffee boom to the south/southeast region and encouraged by the government who believed heavily in eugenics and wanted to 'whiten' the country.

E: Darn, beaten

Interesting.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why would so many Europeans pick Brazil and other Latin American countries over say America and Canada, being that the latter were so much more developed?

Literally this, especially down south. There was a lot of land and not enough people, so they just gave immigrants pieces of it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

The plagues were that bad...

Jesus Christ it was the apocalypse.

Don't forget the genocide!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Another question I have is...well...why is South America so much less developed and poorer than North America?

America and Canada are some of the richest and most developed nations on Earth (though America is starting to lose its rank). Yet, say Brazil and Colombia seem so much further behind.

I always assumed because with America the "right things" tended to happen in history. Such as how suffrage for all white men/women/POCs came at a much earlier time. How the Union won the civil war. FDR getting elected over fascists or marxist-leninists, etc. Is it really that simple? Or is it due to lack of resources, power, etc?

Dias posted:

Literally this, especially down south. There was a lot of land and not enough people, so they just gave immigrants pieces of it.

Oh poo poo. That makes a lot of sense then. I know America had cheap land (especially in the West) but free? That's something else.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Don't forget the genocide!

I was under the impression that like 90% of the native population died due to disease as the colonialists sucked at killing them. That's at least how it played out in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Spain was a pretty poo poo colonial overlord. The Dominican Republic for example might literally only be visited by ships once a year, and that fleet had to handle 100% of soldier pay, imports/exports and everything else. It wasn't uncommon for something to happen and the ships just didn't come, and the colony was just left on its own for several years at a time. Kind a made it hard to build a functioning economy when the mother country sometimes forgot you existed but still banned foreign ships from even visiting.