Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I would deliberately play risky with my cyclops around leviathans so I could listen to the red alert music when it starts catching on fire, while cruising around the map.

You know, because you couldn't hear it any other way.

This is one of the two tracks I keep listening to on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNX8zLX-XI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUtci2tb7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFm2Sk6tBks

I guess I listen to more than two. Usually just use one of the whole ost videos but linked them apart so im not linking the same video multiple times with different time stamps.

The music really amps up a creature attack on the sub because they are almost very rarely going to sink the thing. The music just pushes up to the danger level.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

if it wasn't the buggiest game experience i have ever had in nearly 30 years of gaming, i might agree with this

Game was buggy for you?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This is my favorite one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPGnITj2GQ4

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tenzarin posted:

Game was buggy for you?

it was almost unplayable at times. i fell through the cyclops multiple times, got stuck beyond world geometry several times, had an invisible mystery object appear in my cyclops' bridge that made 3/4 of the bridge inaccessible, had saves that apparently decided to not actually save and erased hours and hours of progress. from beginning to end it was, as i said, the buggiest game experience i have ever had.

it's a special kind of disappointment when a game that seems in so many ways like it was designed specifically for me lets me down in the way this game did. i'd fuckin kill for a remastered version of this game that didn't feel like a burning car crash half the time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I didn't play the game until it was out and finished for along time and then I bought it on a steam sale. There was never any bugs for me ever.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I definitely had the "fall out of the Cyclops" thing happen to me several times. I fell nearly to my death since I was hovering above a pit at the time. The game thought I was on land so I couldn't swim. I jumped around about 50 times and the game magically thought I was swimming again, it was bizarre. Happened multiple times. I also had the Sea Dragon Leviathan teleport in and out of world geometry.

It's a great game but definitely has some bugs, that said nothing ruined my enjoyment of it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Gunslinger posted:

I definitely had the "fall out of the Cyclops" thing happen to me several times. I fell nearly to my death since I was hovering above a pit at the time. The game thought I was on land so I couldn't swim. I jumped around about 50 times and the game magically thought I was swimming again, it was bizarre. Happened multiple times.

my favorite thing from around the time the game officially came out was finding hundreds of clips on twitch of this happening to streamers. i am pretty sure it happened to far more people than it didn't happen to, it is unbelievably common.

my experience overall seems like it was notably worse than most given what i've seen on twitch and heard here, but that doesn't do a goddamn thing to erase the profound feeling of disappointment i had playing this game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tenzarin posted:

I didn't play the game until it was out and finished for along time and then I bought it on a steam sale. There was never any bugs for me ever.

I had very few issues with the PC version. The PS4 version had really horrible time wasting and game breaking bugs almost every play session including save corruption.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I got a new system week ago and I decided to attempt playing this again. It still performs like crap despite having RTX 2060 and R7 3700X, mainly heavy stuttering at times and pop-in is very noticeable. It is manageable though so I'll try to get through this.

I have had one bug so far. I started playing in survival mode, then decided constant refilling of hunger and thirst was too annoying. Deleted the save and started a new one. The pod was already repaired, it's batteries were full and the save tells me I have played for two hours. How does this even work?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Sininu posted:

I got a new system week ago and I decided to attempt playing this again. It still performs like crap despite having RTX 2060 and R7 3700X, mainly heavy stuttering at times and pop-in is very noticeable. It is manageable though so I'll try to get through this.

Google the solution to mod one of the files for extra draw distance or distance for loading in world objects in memory. It's that loading that creates the pop-in, and it was posted about earlier in the thread.
Ie forcing the game to front load poo poo in your 128 gigs of ram is useful, who knew :downsa:

(Not the devs, as someone used to scream in early access)

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 24, 2019

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I had really bad issues with the sub for a long time until I figured out that it was due to having those duffel bags on the floor. If you pick them up and replace them you can get the sub to do a barrel roll.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm pretty cool on subzero because of the lack of isolation and the Metroid Fusion/Other M approach they are taking. I'll probably still grab it when the full release comes out, but I wish they'd do some kind of Subnautica original Map revisit or something. There's so many areas of the map that are obviously hand-crafted and interesting, but completely pointless.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The one major bug I had was the walls of the base disappearing once but reloading fixed it. I first played it last year though so never had to deal with early access issues.

I’d encourage the guy who was disappointed over bugs to try the most recent version.

I want to replay it again but because the map isn’t random I’m going to have to wait until I forget where everything is.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'd pay day one "gently caress gamer" prices if Ubisoft or some other AAA studio came along and just straight up created a rip off of this. It's still a great experience as is, but it felt like they didn't have the tecnical chops to realize the full vision they had for it.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I had my share of bugs, but none of them were actually gamebreaking...unless I was playing on hardcore, of course. On normal gameplay, they were the occasional (like, hours and hours between them) minor annoyances/amusements, easily resolved 99.5% of the time.

Seriously, Obama avatar guy, I know you had some horrible stuff, I read your old posts in this thread about that cyclops bridge one in particular, but the game really is way improved these days. Give it another try, if you can, it might salve some of that pain from the past, and you could enjoy it, instead.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Even during early access for the base game I didn't have as horrible of an experience as Obama avatar guy. Lots of bugs, sure, but any collision/clipping was usually a 1 or 2 off thing in a save. I think the worst bug was when reapers became silent.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Google the solution to mod one of the files for extra draw distance or distance for loading in world objects in memory. It's that loading that creates the pop-in, and it was posted about earlier in the thread.
Ie forcing the game to front load poo poo in your 128 gigs of ram is useful, who knew :downsa:

(Not the devs, as someone used to scream in early access)
I mean, part of that was involved with their save files being two gigs each at the time, and glitching out to not erase the temp file on exit occasionally :v:

Because "Just use more ram/space" is a concept that tends to be more desirable when it also include "And give it back when you're done", after all.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I wanted to post here to both brag and share my thoughts.

I really, really enjoyed Subnautica. I don't really play survival games but this game clicked with me. I loved the original setting and the breadcrumb plot. It did an awesome job of creating a sense of place. I really think this a game you should go into as blind as possible.

I've now completed the game a third and probably final time. My first go was an unmodded Survival mod playthrough. My second was a modded Survival playthrough that included various fixes and niggly things that I felt should have been included but nothing that would make the game appreciably easier, as well as the 'Realistic Recipies' mod (with the fragment booster add on). I even modified existing mods to ensure the realistic recipies stayed consistent even with mod-added items and to ensure modded items had logical unlock requirements.

This last playthrough was my challenge playthrough.
Hardcore mode, using realistic recipies, fragment booster, N2 mod (minus the oxygen tanks it adds) and the Radiation Challenge mod.
Early on made for some pretty amazing moments. Survival was by the skin of my teeth. The Radiation Challenge meant I had barely any time to gather materials before the surface become unbreathable, and realistic recipies/fragment booster meant it would take way too long for any vehicles to come online. I had to make a beeline for the Builder Tool and get an extremely basic underwater base online asap.

I had no beacons and wouldn't get any for some time, so it was easy (and potentially deadly) to get lost anywhere. I had to make numerous short trips from the base to gather the most urgent materials. My most dire moment was when I got lost on the way between the escape pod and my base. I was lost in a kelp forest with low food and water (to the extent it was starting to slow me down) and realized my oxygen was about to run out... when at the last minute I spotted a brain coral and managed to get there to start recovering some oxygen. But I figured I'd starve before getting to my base... until I remember that you can eat the kelp. I chomped away on enough of it to get my strength back, refilled my tank at the brain coral, and made another run for the base, this time finding it. I learned my lesson and built 'markers' between the base and the escape pod so I wouldn't get lost so easily again.

If there's one gameplay modification mod that I would recommend wholeheartedly, it's the fragment booster. This one mod makes a huge difference, because with it active, you really NEED to explore to get the required tech. One of the failings of Subnautica is that there are a lot of potentially dangerous areas that you just don't really need to visit for any reason - the fragment booster changes that and ensures that exploring remains rewarding for much longer.

If anyone's interested I might post up about the other mods I've used too, but for now I just want to say I loved this game and think that in spite of the bugs it has, it's a must-play.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I would love to hear about recommended mods and ways to spice up the game for the second playthrough. Things that make the building system more varied, useful, and interesting, especially

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Bramble posted:

I would love to hear about recommended mods and ways to spice up the game for the second playthrough. Things that make the building system more varied, useful, and interesting, especially

:same:

I'll wait for sub zero to get out of early access before I dive in (no pun intended).

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I dunno if it still works, or if there's a Steam Workshop equivalent, but the Goon-made Pull From Containers mod is essential for even a first playthrough, in my opinion.

HexiDave posted:

Alright, new release using the installer is available here:
https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases/latest

This should fix the weird issues people have been having due to the null pointer exception from bad serialization. I also adjusted the Pull From Containers mod algorithm to sort by distance (using player inventory first, then further out) - in addition, it ignores your Aquarium fish when cooking.

In the future, I'll provide a zip file with just the mods and an installer with everything. You can now take mod folders and drop them onto the new shortcut created by the installer to auto-install the mods and patch everything. I'll have a smarter GUI in the future, but I'm a bit busy this week.

Please let me know if there are any issues with the installer - as long as you point it at your Subnautica folder, it should handle everything. Just run the patcher from the desktop shortcut when it's done and you should be good to go.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

The Bramble posted:

Yes this. Never heard of fragment booster and now I need to go do some research.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
My fourth or so playthrough, which I kind of drifted off from about 1/3 of the way through, was the first I ever used mods on. All of them really minor cosmetic ones, other than the mod to let you access the PRAWN's storage from inside it, and change the arms from inside it. Mostly for RP purposes, which felt really good, because it really was cool to be able to swap your arms around while gallivanting around the depths in you mech-suit without having to get out of it every couple of minutes to swap a grapple for a drill or whatnot. I highly recommend it, and it doesn't really affect difficulty at all.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

There's no substitute for the feeling of being eaten by the Ghost Leviathan while trying to swap out your drill to your grapple arm in preparation to rodeo it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
just drill its brains out

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Captain Invictus posted:

just drill its brains out

this is good advice for almost any situation in life

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Alright, my big Mods review of all the mods I've used. All of these worked together without issue for me, and all mods are available from the Nexus - however, there are a number that I further modified for my personal use. Normally I'd happily share them except I was unable to contact any of the original mod authors so I couldn't get permission to do so.

My philosophy for modding is that I will wholeheartedly embrace bugfix mods as long as they're really just fixing bugs. As far as other mods are concerned, I tend to avoid anything that seems lore-unfriendly, buggy, or that trivializes the game.

Note that while the mods all work on the current stable release of Subnautica on Steam, I can't comment on the Epic game store version and they almost definitely won't work on the Experimental version branch, which is using a newer version of Unity (the same one as Subnautica Below Zero I think). There is a non-zero probability that Subnautica's stable version will eventually be upgraded to this new Unity version, and when that happens all current mods will likely have to be updated/remade. Since some of the authors have disappeared, it could be some time before that can happen.

Basic Mod Utilities

QMods
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/201
Does nothing on its own but is required if you want to use Subnautica mods. Just install it and it'll create a QMods directory in the Subnautica folder. Any other mods you want to use can then just have their folder dropped into the QMods folder.
If you want mods not to balls up your game then remember two things:
1. Start a new game if you plan to switch around your mods
2. Disabling a mod that you've been using in a current game could make odd things happen
3. If you've modded your game, always quit Subnautica completely (ie, not just to the main menu, but close the game). If you just quit to the menu and then start/try to resume a previous game, the mods can go screwy in any number of odd ways.

QMod SAM (Simple Activation Manager)
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/262
Handy if you're using a lot of mods, it lets you select/deselect which ones you want to use, and even create mod profiles to load. Not necessary by any means but still potentially handy.

CustomCraft 2
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/114
With this installed, you'll be able to load various custom craft mods, including Realistic Recipes and the Fragment Booster mods. Or you can easily modify in-game recipes yourself. It has no impact on gameplay at all unless you install those mods.

Fixes

Ansiotropic Fix
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/185
Subnautica is quite buggy and I'm sad to say there aren't many bugfixes. This one is minor but has literally no downsides that I've noticed. It turns on the (disabled by default) ansiotropic filtering for the game. It makes distant textures a lot sharper.
A must-have.

Door Cut Redundant Sound Fix
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/265
If you complete cutting open a door with a Laser Cutter, it makes a distinct sound. Problem is that once you've done this, that same sound will play again (in the extreme distance with odd sound distortion) every time you re-enter an area containing such a door. I didn't realize that this was the sound I was constantly hearing in the game as I was traveling. It's a stupid bug and this fix makes it go away.
A must-have unless you really like that distant door-falling sound.

Large Deposits Fix
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/50
Ensures that large resource deposits are no longer picked up by the scanner room once completely exhausted. Makes the game very slightly easier since you don't go chasing after nonexistent ghost deposits but feels like something that should have been there to start with.
Strongly recommended.

Databox Scanner Fix
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/128
Makes it that once you open a Databox, it'll no longer register in your scanner room and no longer display a blip. Makes the game very slightly easier as you don't get false alerts but feels like something that should have been in there to start with.
Strongly recommended.

Prawn Suit Volumetric Lights
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/174
It's weird that the prawn suit is the only vehicle in the game that doesn't have a volumetric lighting effect, so I consider this one a fix. Generally looks great. Only disadvantages are that volumetric lights are sometimes a little distracting in some very open, dark areas (but not any more so than the Cyclops and Seamoth), it does make it slightly easier to find your Prawn Suit in the dark, and if you dock with a Cyclops the lights are (just barely) visible even from outside the sub if you're in a dark area. Still, it feels like this one should have been there to start with.
Strongly recommended.

Additional Features

Extra Options
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/154
Adds an additional menu item option to the in-game menu that lets you directly control certain settings you otherwise have no control over, such as water murkiness, light shafts etc. But the biggest draw is that it lets you control the texture quality manually. Lowering this increases performance considerably, raising it makes the game prettier. Or just leave it on default if you want.
Strongly recommended.

Radial Tabs
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/207
Modifies the crafting menu icons so they're radial rather than stacked. A purely aesthetic mod with no game impact... unless you start using other mods that start adding more items, then this becomes a must-have, as the default unmodded view literally doesn't leave enough screen real-estate to show all the items you can craft. This one uses the screen space far more efficiently so you can add heaps more items and still see them.
Must-have if you add lots more craftable items. Otherwise only if you prefer the look.

Better Scanner Blips
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/32
This one greatly improves the HUD overlayed Scanner Blips if you have a scanner room searching for something while having the Scanner Room HUD Chip equipped. It makes the blips' size and brightness change depending on how far away you are from them, and if you get very close, shows the actual distance in meters. The main downside is that it does make the scanner room a lot more effective since you're not chasing blips without having a clue how far away they really are. On the other hand, it feels like this feature really should have been in the game to begin with, since the default scanner room blip overlay feels a little unnecessarily obtuse.
Recommended.

Long Locker Names
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/25
Massively increases the character limit on lockers and signs and lets you pick from far more colours for the text. Makes organizing your lockers easier since you now don't have to abbreviate everything. It does feel ever so slightly less responsive when you're actually typing the names in but it's barely noticeable. Feels like something they should have been included to begin with.
Very strongly recommended.

Prawn Suit Light Switch
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/37
Lets you turn the Prawn Suit's exterior lights off and on with the Q key. Feels like something really obvious that was omitted from the game - the Prawn Suit is the only vehicle without the ability to turn its lights off. Now you can look at the pretty glowy nighttime fish even in the Prawn Suit. As a bonus, this is fully compatible with the Prawn Suit Volumetric Lights fix above. Note that it does make the game slightly easier since you now can turn off your Prawn Suit lights when you're in an area with light-sensitive predators.
Strongly recommended

Toggle Machines
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/63
Allows you to turn Water Filtration machines, Floodlights, and Spotlights on and off. Since some of those are real power hogs, this does potentially make the game a little easier since you won't accidentally drain your base dry with your Water Filtration machine - you can just turn it off. On the other hand, it does seem to be a bit odd that such a complicated machine doesn't come with an on/off switch, so it doesn't take a big stretch of the imagination to consider this lore-friendly.
Recommended.

New Buildable/Craftable Items
Note there are heaps of these out there, but almost all of them make the game easier in some way, which is why I avoided them.

Base Clocks
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/75
Adds two new buildable base clocks (one analog, one digital) to the Habitat Builder. Aesthetically they fit in perfectly. Can also be configured to show your actual system time rather than in-game time. There's almost no reason not to get this.
Very strongly recommended

Base Light Switch
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/46
Build this on a wall and it'll let you turn your base's lights on and off. There are heaps of biomes where having the lights off makes your base look heaps better, even more so with some glass corridors/windows, so this is really welcome. Has no gameplay effect since it doesn't affect your base's power consumption. The model is simple but aesthetically fitting. The only downside is that there are some walls where building it will make the model appear a short distance in front of the wall - though other items in the game have that same problem too, the light switch is so small it becomes more noticeable. If it bothers you, find a wall where it won't do that.
Very strongly recommended

Decorations Mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/102
Probably the single biggest aesthetic mod for Subnautica. It adds a whole bunch of new buildable items to the habitat builder, as well as two new fabricators - one for building decorations of various types, one for fabricating plant seeds (which you normally wouldn't even be able to obtain or grow). On top of that, it also makes numerous items placeable inside your base. This includes food, water, creature eggs, computer chips, ion cubes, all sorts of stuff. It also has a ton of settings to let you customize what you want it to allow and what not to.
While it's one of the biggest mods in my list, it's also one of the wonkiest and potentially unbalancing. Some of the additional items like lockers and cargo boxes have storage utility - and in fact, they have MASSIVE storage space, can be built anywhere in the base, cost no more than wall lockers to build. Worst of all, the cargo boxes' size is freely customizable in-game, and they start off tiny when built (as in, really tiny) without affecting their storage capacity. You could have a room full's worth of storage on a desk. Adding to the problem is that there are now numerous things you don't have to store inside anything anyway, since you can just set them down on the floor.
It also makes all in-game lockers in wrecks act as if you can open them, even though you can't.
And all the items it adds become available immediately at the start of the game, without needing to be unlocked, which is problematic because it includes items that can be considered spoilers (such as dolls of certain creatures you won't meet until much, much later) and utility items that have the same utility as items that actually have to be unlocked in-game (like a long indoor growbed)
I modified this mod so that all items had unlock requirements (eg, before you could build the decorations/seed fabricators, you had to find and scan the Unusual Doll created by the malfunctioning fabricator - that felt lore-friendly to me) but unfortunately that's not the case for the official version.
Not recommended for a first playthrough, but strongly recommended for subsequent playthroughs if you enjoy virtual interior decorating.

Docked Vehicle Storage Access
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/42
Lets you build a locker that automatically empties the storage of any Prawn Suit/Seamoth that you dock at the Moonpool or Cyclops where it's been built, and integrates with the Autosort locker mods if you have it (I don't)... but most importantly, it automatically adds a vehicle access console to the Moonpool, same as the one used in the Cyclops.
I don't actually like the automatic locker idea, as apparently it can be pain since you don't always want to empty your vehicle. Plus I think the item management aspect is a big part of the game...
... but I'll be honest, I didn't actually use this mod as-is - I modified it so that it removed the locker and left only the Moonpool console. It never made sense to me that you couldn't access the Prawn Suit's storage bay or swap out its modules while it was docked in a Moonpool. This single features fixes that problem, is the only reason I got this mod. The console is aesthetically 100% right, positioned intelligently on the Moonpool corner, and can even have its position changed.
Can't fairly comment on it's official main drawcard since I never used it, but very strongly recommend the Moonpool console component it adds.

Exterior Plant Pots
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/64
Adds three different plant pots that you can build outside a base - just like the large exterior growbed, but small! This is great for decorative purposes (especially with he Decorations Mod) as you can dot the outside of your base with interesting flora. Feels like something that should have been in the game to start with. The only problem is that they start off unlocked at the start of the game, even when the exterior growbed hasn't been yet, which makes it sequence-breaking.
I modified this one to make sure they only get unlocked once the exterior growbed does.
Recommended, but only if you don't care that it gives you exterior plant growing abilities before you normally unlock them

Challenge Mods

Realistic Recipies
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/88
Make sure you get v2 by Quintiple5, not the older version!
This is just a .txt file for use with CustomCraft 2. Just drop it into the CustomCraft 'WorkingFiles' folder and it's good to go (and it's easy to edit!)
It increases resource costs across the board. It's lore friendly and pretty well thought out overall. It takes a lot of resource gathering to build anything big and important - you need almost an entire inventory full of materials to build a Cyclops. There's a much bigger sense of accomplishment when you manage to build something and the early game particularly becomes more drawn out and challenging.
The mod isn't for everyone. Getting the additional materials does mean you need to explore further afield but in the late game that has little appreciable effect on difficulty. Cave Sulphur is now needed for some vital items and in the game it's in limited supply - while there's more than what you need, you can get in genuine trouble if you use it frivolously (eg, to make flares). And while the added challenge at the start is welcome, it can make the endgame into a grind. It also discourages building large bases (for better or for worse) and means you'll probably skip building less-than-vital items (like the Grav Trap) because you just don't want to spend the time getting the materials for them.
I should note that some of the new buildable/craftable items by other mods can mess up the balance that Realistic Recipies painstakingly establishes - for example, with Realistic Recipes, growbeds require some Creepvine Samples to build, but if you have the Decorations Mod, you can build a long planter without those. I actually modded all the 'practical' items added by the mods I was using to bring them in-line with the resource costs from Realistic Recipes so I wouldn't be able to exploit this difference.
Strongly recommended if you feel building was too easy in the base game and want to make it harder and make the things you build things you really need to cherish. Not recommended if you can't tolerate the grind.

Fragment Booster
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/88
This is on the same page as realistic recipes.
Again, a .txt file for use with CustomCraft 2. Just drop it into the CustomCraft 'WorkingFiles' folder and it's good to go (and it's easy to edit!)
This is my favourite difficulty-increasing mod. It simply requires you to scan more fragments in order to unlock blueprints. While simple, it has very noticeable gameplay effects. You'll spend much longer without some tools you might have taken for granted, forcing you to make more risky dives into wrecks and explore more thoroughly to find those valuable fragments. Most notably, it makes some technologies (like the Prawn Suit) far more end-game than they previously were.
The great environments are one of Subnautica's biggest strengths and this mod more than any other makes you explore them more thoroughly, so I think it's really great.
Very strongly recommended (unless you really don't want any additional challenge)

Nitrogen Mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/248
This is a neat idea but one that has had some feature creep. It potentially does a number of things:
- Causes you to accumulate Nitrogen when diving too deep. The speed it's gained depends on depth. Once you surface/enter a base/vehicle, you suffer damage over time as the accumulated Nitrogen rapidly drains away. Medkits reduce accumulated Nitrogen as soon as they are used.
- Introduces crush depth for the player even when not in a vehicle. Wearing more advanced diving suits extends the crush depth
- Adds several new diving suits (with unlock requirements and some new resources required to build them). These diving suits increase both crush depth and thermal protection (but do nothing to protect from Nitrogen buildup)
- Adds several new oxygen tanks with associated new resources and unlock requirements. These include tanks that fill from sunlight or heat.
It's quite customizable and some features (like the oxygen tanks) can be turned off in an in-game menu.
The Nitrogen isn't quite as fun as I'd hoped, as it's kind of unavoidable for the most part. However, it does mean there is a regular use for Medkits (both to heal damage and reduce accumulated Nitrogen). The crush depth is interesting very early in the game, but it becomes a bit of a non-issue later as the additional diving suits and resources are pretty easy to get, and the additional thermal protection from the more advanced suits actually make the already easy endgame even easier. The oxygen tanks, if enabled, only make it easier still. Some of the additional resource art doesn't look quite consistent in terms of art style, and unfortunately disabling the oxygen tanks doesn't currently disable one of the unique resources needed for it, resulting in you potentially finding some useless items.
Recommended if a bit of extra challenge is desired or you want to have some regular use for medkits throughout the game.

Radiation Challenge
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/149
This one is both figuratively and literally a game-changer, and by far the best mod for increasing challenge.
When the reactor explodes, the player will be killed instantly if they are not at least 50m underwater at the time. After this, the radiation causes all sorts of problems (many of these are customizable to turn them on or off or modify their values).
- Surface air is no longer breathable. The only way to get air/refill your tanks is inside the escape pod or a structure/vehicle. Surface air pumps can also be rendered inoperable.
- Any surface-based edible plants cannot be gathered/eaten
- The fabricator in the escape pod cannot fabricate food (other fabricators still can)
- Power (both in bases and in the tools and vehicles you use) is consumed much, much faster if in a radioactive area.
- Not only is the entire above-water map area rendered radioactive, but as time passes this radioactivity will slowly go deeper, down to about 60m.
The above effects will slowly fade if the reactor breaches are repaired.
It works super well to add additional challenge, basically banishing you beneath the waves and making it much harder to become self-sufficient. It also makes forays into the (now unbreathable and very fast-power-draining) Aurora to repair the reactor into a real highlight of the game. I never needed additional air tanks in Subnautica until I installed this mod.
Combined with Fragment Booster and Realistic Recipes the start of the game becomes a nailbiting race against time that ended several hardcore runs before I finally got it down.
Very strongly recommended (almost a must-have) if you want an additional challenge, not recommended for first time players though.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 21, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Oh yeah! The other big mod, in a way, that I was really happy with was a 'PRAWN suit light switch' mod. It is SO nice to be able to turn off the PRAWN's lights and enjoy the ambient lighting in a bunch of different biomes, particularly at night, if it's in a nice bioluminescence location, to the point that you wonder how you put up with it always being on in the past.

Aaaaand...I wondered if it would be in that list above my post, and it totally was, upon finishing my post and going back to read it start to finish. I agree with everything they said!

(Also, the longer locker names mod is great, too, if you're a weirdo who also has like a dozen or so lockers in any seabase you build because you keep them neatly organized into different categories, but also sometimes build a catch-all or custom stuff locker that needs a long-ish name to describe its contents like me.)

I like the 'turn off the base lights' mod, too, but I'm a bit sad that it doesn't really affect the amount of bioluminescence in the big aquarium, which is still muted compared to plants and fish while they're out in the wild. Still good, though.

Ah, here's a link to the PRAWN suit 'switch arms and access your inventory' mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/47

There are several mods that attempt these features, but this is the most user-friendly and well designed I've found, while also killing two birds fish with one stone much-suit punch by combining the 'switch arms' and 'access suit inventory' features into one mod.

Oh, I also highly suggest the 'Power Order' mod. The base game tries, theoretically, to draw upon the power sources you build for your seabase in the order you build them in. So, for instance, if you build solar first, then thermal (using power extension relays), then a bioreactor, it'll draw upon solar first, then thermal, then the bioreactor only in an emergency. But the issue is, every time you load a saved seabase, the order in which the various base elements, power extenders in particular, load in and activate, are somewhat random, so your power priorities can get all messed up. This mod fixes that, allowing you to customize your preferred order, and going with power transmitters -> solar panels -> thermal plants -> bioreactors -> nuclear reactors as the default setup, which is a fairly good one, allowing the power options that consume resources and need occasional refilling to hang near the back of your setup, while letting renewables go first.

Here it is.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 15, 2019

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Picked up this game on a friend's recommendation a couple of weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. My only issue with it is that the framerate dips to single figures when I'm in my base sometimes. I've had similar issues with Fallout 4 settlements, but they were absolutely giant builds that I'd been working on for months. My base currently has about five rooms and is in no way sprawling, but it gets so bad I can no longer click on things and have to restart the game to make it playable again.

I have an i7, 16GB RAM, and a 1070ti. By no means a beastly rig, but even Witcher 3 on ultra settings doesn't seem to trouble it too much. A few multipurpose rooms in Subnautica causes it to grind to a halt. I've been keeping an eye on my system temps and resources and there doesn't seem to be anything crazy going on - it just doesn't like my base. The friend who recommended it experiences similar issues on his PS4, so is it just inherent to the game? Are there any known fixes? I haven't managed to find anything that works so far. Even if I drop all my settings it still chugs.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

7seven7 posted:

Picked up this game on a friend's recommendation a couple of weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. My only issue with it is that the framerate dips to single figures when I'm in my base sometimes. I've had similar issues with Fallout 4 settlements, but they were absolutely giant builds that I'd been working on for months. My base currently has about five rooms and is in no way sprawling, but it gets so bad I can no longer click on things and have to restart the game to make it playable again.

I have an i7, 16GB RAM, and a 1070ti. By no means a beastly rig, but even Witcher 3 on ultra settings doesn't seem to trouble it too much. A few multipurpose rooms in Subnautica causes it to grind to a halt. I've been keeping an eye on my system temps and resources and there doesn't seem to be anything crazy going on - it just doesn't like my base. The friend who recommended it experiences similar issues on his PS4, so is it just inherent to the game? Are there any known fixes? I haven't managed to find anything that works so far. Even if I drop all my settings it still chugs.

You're probably ram throttled. It's probably trying to load more than it has space for and it ends up using swap.

And when you need to load something from swap into video ram every frame, your performance will crater.

Try closing your web browser and stuff while playing.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Thanks - I have noticed a small improvement if I nuke Chrome. I've been meaning to pick up another 16GB RAM anyway. This might be the excuse I need.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

7seven7 posted:

Subnautica does this, apparently even on beastly rigs. The best performance increase I saw personally came from when I moved the game from my magnetic hard disk to my SSD one, but I'm not convinced there's a single agreed fix for these issues.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Soul Reaver posted:

Subnautica does this, apparently even on beastly rigs. The best performance increase I saw personally came from when I moved the game from my magnetic hard disk to my SSD one, but I'm not convinced there's a single agreed fix for these issues.

Pulling data out of the page file is going to be a LOT faster on an SSD as well, though slotting in more RAM is probably more of a help to this specific issue.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Should I upgrade from 32GB to 64GB to fix Subnautica stuttering?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Sininu posted:

Now people are making purchasing decisions based on my off the cuff analysis and I'm worried about wasting your money with my answer.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think there are issues with the game's engine (or really, the way it does stuff within the Unity Engine) that can't be solved with any amount of hardware thrown at it.

I played through the whole thing with acceptable performance (on the lowest settings) on a PC from 2011 that was mediocre even in 2011, with a video card that AMD stopped putting out new drivers for a couple years prior, and that the game warned me was below specs at the title screen. This PC was so bad that during early access when I bought the game after watching Vinesauce stream it, it would crash during the loading screen (with the image of the ship crashing, itself :haw:). I sat on the game with the intent of playing it with a new PC, but when it left early access I tried it again on a whim and by the grace of something they optimized or something Unity fixed, it ran.

When I finally made a new PC with an SSD, 16 GB of RAM, a Ryzen 7 1800X, and a GTX 1050 Ti (this was when video card prices were stupid because of crypto mining and I planned to replace it a generation or two later but haven't yet) I gave it a try. It looks way better, loads way faster, but doesn't really run any better :confused:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Sininu posted:

Virtually all my Subnautica stuttering (with a 16 gig system, ryzen 1600 cpu) was fairly notable when I had a 1070 8gb and loading from my HDD, but much less so with a 1080 8gb and loading from my SSD. I'd suggest trying the latter (the SSD) if you haven't already, before doubling your already very substantial RAM, which may not be the issue here.

(I only mention the 1070/1080 because I had a brand new 1070, which had coil whine from the first hour of installation, so I RMA'd and got a 1080 in return. I was running Subnautica on mid/high-ish settings with the 1070 and maxed out everything on the 1080, but I firmly believe the SSD made the biggest difference. The game still has bugs, and occasionally still has a bit of light stuttering/occasional very temporary slow-down/other issues, but they're minor and far and few between, rather than commonplace, at least in my case, and the SSD *definitely* made the biggest difference, particularly for stuttering, biome border weirdness, and pop-in.)

Aoi fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 16, 2019

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think the disk speed thing is true because I ran it on an pcie nvme drive and never had any performance issues on a 980ti.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Soul Reaver posted:

You gotta tell me the Beamdog thing. They can't write characters or dialogue for poo poo but the crunch stuff they did was a'ight.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

This game was unplayable on my old laptop with 970M, i7 4720HQ, 16GB of RAM and SSD. It had the same heavy stuttering I get with my new pc that has RTX 2060, 3700X 32GB of RAM and also SSD but it was happening all the time instead. That laptop was able to run pretty much anything else just fine.
Stuttering is pretty terrible even on my new pc and I hate it.

Also RAM usage after multiple hours of playtime and some Chrome tabs open is just about 10GB for me so 16 is plenty for this game, no need for anyone to double that for Subnautica. It's just has awful technical issues that they don't care to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

WarpedNaba posted:

You gotta tell me the Beamdog thing. They can't write characters or dialogue for poo poo but the crunch stuff they did was a'ight.

It's not that super interesting. I was considering buying the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions, but had read rather mixed reviews, so asked about them in the thread here on SA. My main concern was that I thought perhaps it was all a bit lazy - just sprucing up a years-old engine a bit yet apparently creating some exciting new bugs in the process and then selling it felt a little scummy to me. Plus I'd heard (though didn't know all the details) that there was some poor/preachy writing in their new content as well. Since I wasn't sure if it was worth it I asked.

Somebody interpreted that as me being one of the anti-trans brigade because there's a trans character in Siege of Dragonspear and apparently a big kerfuffle around it, and they got me that avatar and some different red text (I can't remember the actual text, but it did bother me that it made me out to be some sort of Gamergate/MRA-type nutjob, when that's definitely not me). I mentioned I felt that was an unfair assessment and I guess they agreed 'cos the red text changed later.

I quite like my yelly Minsc avatar.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 16, 2019