Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lindy Hopscotch
Mar 30, 2010

You know the story about the scorpion and the frog?

OH MY GOD THIS IS IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!

this is hilarious this video is like the only one on youtube about this lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read an article in game informer in maybe the mid to late aughts about an action or horror game that (I remember thinking) looked pretty cool. The only things I remember were two pictures of bosses: a large quadrapedal insectoid mini-boss and a muscular giant humanoid boss with its head obscured by clouds. Can't remember if it was first-person or third-person, or what the genre was. Title may have had the work "Dark" in it. No it wasn't dark souls

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What kind of village - modern small town Britain? Medieval? Cavemen?

my mental image is kinda like a twee smurfs type town

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
I was looking for the “Far Side” style caricature of DJ Cozmik by tony danzas ho from his Helldump thread. So funny.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Science education video I saw around 2003 (looked like something from the '80s, at the earliest) demonstrating properties of static electricity. Scientist holds up a big metal rod in a rather suggestive way and begins vigorously stroking it with a piece of wool. Then he places it between two metal balls and declares, "the rod attracts the balls." Nobody else in class thought this was as hilarious as I did, or even seemed to understand what I was laughing at.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
An April fools prank by a UK PlayStation magazine (I think PlayStation Plus, which was also part 'lads mag') in the late '90s for a first person "shooter" called Scum. Supposedly it would use live actors and the player could murder them using a vast array of weapons (hammer, chainsaw, drill, rifle) and torture bound and gagged women. It's 'graphics' were just the editorial staff being killed with really lame MS paint blood edited onto it but enough people believed the game was real to write in requesting the release date.

I'd love it if somebody has a scan of this.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

There was a short film or clip I saw years and years ago of a guy who was being chased by the tape that’s inside a VHS cassette. He ran up a flight of stairs and hid behind a door, and the tape slithered up the stairs and under the door. The tape then strangled the guy the death.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm haunted by two photos, but I think GBS can only help me find one of them.

One was a photo from WWI of a bomb or artillery shell going off. The photo was in the woods. The explosion was caught on film and killed the photographer who was behind the camera.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

RandomPauI posted:

One was a photo from WWI of a bomb or artillery shell going off. The photo was in the woods. The explosion was caught on film and killed the photographer who was behind the camera.

i know the picture you are talking about and ive been looking for an hour and cant find it

Lindy Hopscotch
Mar 30, 2010

I got another one for you goons:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ago, when I was probably closer to 10,11,12 years old (so somewhere in '97, '98 or '99) and my mom and I had black box cable and on one of the big "this isnt tv its (huffs farts)" movie channels there was some cartoon on that was like some furry poo poo with anthro characters (not just talking animals) and I remember it was so loving weird because it was trying to be extremely serious and dramatic while using chip n dale looking goofy-rear end characters.

I remember some male character was dying in a female characters arms and it was supposed to be very sad but all it did was confuse the hell out of me and it was so loving weird that I remember only that scene and nothing else. Oh Extra detail, it was like set on a ship or something so think of Colonial american times or British times or whatever the gently caress.

This mightve been Stars or HBO or Cinemax even idk wtf but all those channels were clustered together, so who knows !

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
The remake of Ultima Underworld that turned out to be poo poo. I still want to see that project done right.

Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord. Been waiting almost a decade for this game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Min_sora posted:

Oh, another one. A PC game that I can picture in my head but sounds really vague when I describe it.

I played it in the mid-90s, but it could've come out before, although I'm sure it wasn't as far back as the 80s. It was a fantasy, and I'm pretty sure the main character wasn't human (troll, elf, wizard, maybe?). The way the screen was set up, it was 3-4 platforms, but platforms that ran the whole screen, so you were just going up and down. So, you would jump the platforms collecting things, items, magic stuff (there must have been enemies, but I don't remember them as clearly). If you just walked sideways, you would eventually hit a full screen-length gate, and you had to go back and collect a key to continue - I do recall backtracking being a part of it. It was typical old fantasy-style outdoor setting, lots of green and stone walls, that sort of thing.

If I try to picture the main character, I think he was quite squat and wore robes, but my memory isn't as good on that.
Might be Hocus Pocus, one of the Apogee shareware joints.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Lindy Hopscotch posted:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ago, when I was probably closer to 10,11,12 years old (so somewhere in '97, '98 or '99) and my mom and I had black box cable and on one of the big "this isnt tv its (huffs farts)" movie channels there was some cartoon on that was like some furry poo poo with anthro characters (not just talking animals) and I remember it was so loving weird because it was trying to be extremely serious and dramatic while using chip n dale looking goofy-rear end characters.

I remember some male character was dying in a female characters arms and it was supposed to be very sad but all it did was confuse the hell out of me and it was so loving weird that I remember only that scene and nothing else. Oh Extra detail, it was like set on a ship or something so think of Colonial american times or British times or whatever the gently caress.

This mightve been Stars or HBO or Cinemax even idk wtf but all those channels were clustered together, so who knows !

An American Tail?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I have another one, it's a quote, maybe someone's "google-fu" is better than mine:

"Every man will think himself the wisest, for he sees his own wisdom close at hand, but others at arm's length."

I really thought it was Plato, but I can't find it anywhere.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A comedy sketch video. Some lame scenesters at a show talking about bands in the most obnoxious and pretentious ways. At the very end, giant text pops up: DON'T GO TO SHOWS.

That's it. That's all I remember. I think the man guy was a fat dude with too much eyeliner? It wasn't even that funny, but the phrase has stuck with me to this day. I've tried searching for it a few times and found videos with the same basic joke, but not the one I was after.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

I tried really hard to find it because I think I know the one you're talking about, but can't. I did find one that's haunted me from that war though:

It's just so loving terrifying seeing people in masks charging through poison gas at you. I'm assuming the camera man didn't survive this either.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yikes, the kids in gasmasks photos always got to me a lot too.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

I tried really hard to find it because I think I know the one you're talking about, but can't. I did find one that's haunted me from that war though:

It's just so loving terrifying seeing people in masks charging through poison gas at you. I'm assuming the camera man didn't survive this either.

It’s from a training exercise the photographer kept getting in trouble for faking war photos

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
The real photos he’s looking for and you can almost tell the camera is getting blown backwards in the shot. I think it’s the Ardennes in ww2 though

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It’s from a training exercise the photographer kept getting in trouble for faking war photos

Wow really? I've been thinking since like 1997 that this was a truly terrible sight some brave cameraman snapped in the moments before he was gassed/shot/bayoneted.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wow really? I've been thinking since like 1997 that this was a truly terrible sight some brave cameraman snapped in the moments before he was gassed/shot/bayoneted.

Yeah he basically actually stole valor because he was one of the first real war photographers and figured no one was paying attention

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Although this is probably the most famous faked war photo ever, from the us civil war at Antietam. Dude literally moved the bodies around to look better. It’s worth visiting though the church in the background is still there and full of fake bullet holes for tourists. Bloody lane down the street is really intense to visit though those poor Irish soldiers with no rifling when the confederacy had it.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

https://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/06/30/photos-world-war-i-images-museums-battle-great-war/

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

In the mid 90's an friend used to play Witchhaven all the time on his PC, which was basically Hexen but worse. It came with a trailer for something else that had some weird bright colour visuals I cant remember, and said 'your life started as a dream, but it will end as a nightmare' before playing a terrible midi techno song. Both of us recall this but its not enough information for Google to turn anything up. I think about it every so often and try to find it again.

I dug out my cd for Witchhaven and it doesn't have any trailers or promos on it. I checked the Witchhaven 2 cd and it has a demo for Chronomaster and a trailer for V For Victory 2. Neither matches your description. I looked to see if anything else that Capstone or Intracorp made that seemed promising. No luck, though I did find these awful looking things, maybe they'll shake something loose in your brainparts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgirwT8SqUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_bXf-uQckU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SavageMessiah posted:

I dug out my cd for Witchhaven and it doesn't have any trailers or promos on it. I checked the Witchhaven 2 cd and it has a demo for Chronomaster and a trailer for V For Victory 2. Neither matches your description. I looked to see if anything else that Capstone or Intracorp made that seemed promising. No luck, though I did find these awful looking things, maybe they'll shake something loose in your brainparts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgirwT8SqUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_bXf-uQckU

Just fyi, Eternam was fantastic. I might mail my in-box copy to LGR someday.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
That first scene of voice acting when the guys face keeps getting bigger destroyed my soul, sorry.

As a hint for people looking for 80s/90s PC games, dig through http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/index.php?year=2001&pub=2&id=205

I found my own white whale, Enemy Infestation, that way. All I had to go on was that it was isometric, tactical/rpgish, either realistic or scifi, you could pick up a fire extinguisher, the ads vaguely registered in my memory as green, and, based on vague impressions of other things it was probably late 90s. Dug through all the late 90s into 2000 issues there and eventually found it. Game actually looks pretty good, I need to get a copy someday.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This was a great read, thank you.

Lindy Hopscotch
Mar 30, 2010

Mammal Sauce posted:

An American Tail?

Nah I know what you’re saying but it definitely wasn’t that. Maybe it was trying to be, but it was animated lovely and it didn’t make me feel anything but confusion.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lindy Hopscotch posted:

Nah I know what you’re saying but it definitely wasn’t that. Maybe it was trying to be, but it was animated lovely and it didn’t make me feel anything but confusion.

An American Tale 2: Fivel Goes West?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Lindy Hopscotch posted:

It's prrrrobably not Titanic: The Legend Goes On, but it... might be? (And even if it isn't, that movie sure is something, particularly the rapping dog in the English version.)

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
Lipton made an ice green tea with lemon and mint and it will forever haunt my dreams. Tasted like angel piss and I would do dark poo poo for a lifetime supply.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lindy Hopscotch posted:

My first guess was Treasure Planet (Treasure Island .... in spaaaaaace) but that came out in 2002.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Long shot, but could this be The Caboose Who Got Loose? (orig. 1971; I had a copy in the 80s)
Much of the scenery is orange/red Western wilderness and dark black polluted city/trainyard shots. And the caboose does get lost in the dark woods at the end, with super creepy lights searching for it.

(spoilers? It's right there in the title, folks)

Oh man, I forgot about this. I loved this book as a kid.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My first guess was Treasure Planet (Treasure Island .... in spaaaaaace) but that came out in 2002.

There's a titanic knockoff with mice called "Legend of the Titanic" that's clearly got American tail influences, but the focus of the story is still the humans. Until you got to mentioning the setting I was gonna say "rock and rule" but that's sci-fi and has a distinctly non colonial aesthetic. There are a lot of "animated famous movie knock off but with mice" films out there, try youtube, a lot of them are there in their entirety or at least have people doing extended reviews with lots of clips

manofsloth
Sep 2, 2011
College Slice
I'm looking for the screenshot(s) of the original conversation that started the Harry Cherry meme. Ridiculous, I know, since it was like from 10 days ago, but I can't find it anywhere. Perhaps my Google skills are weakening in this cursed age of social media. Help me out.

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

Rollersnake posted:

Science education video I saw around 2003 (looked like something from the '80s, at the earliest) demonstrating properties of static electricity. Scientist holds up a big metal rod in a rather suggestive way and begins vigorously stroking it with a piece of wool. Then he places it between two metal balls and declares, "the rod attracts the balls." Nobody else in class thought this was as hilarious as I did, or even seemed to understand what I was laughing at.

Pretty sure it's this, I watched the same video in high school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scrNCHe8RFs

slaphappy
Aug 4, 2007

Atlas Risen posted:

There was a short film or clip I saw years and years ago of a guy who was being chased by the tape that’s inside a VHS cassette. He ran up a flight of stairs and hid behind a door, and the tape slithered up the stairs and under the door. The tape then strangled the guy the death.

Recorded Live (1975)

I caught it when most probably did: playing between movies on HBO in the late 70s/early 80's.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

slaphappy posted:

Recorded Live (1975)

I caught it when most probably did: playing between movies on HBO in the late 70s/early 80's.

Holy poo poo. That’s it. Thanks!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Comedy sketch show, English, based around a two man group which my brain says is Armstrong and Miller, but it could also be a Simon pegg type (think Big Train but it's not that as I have that all on DVD). Sequence of sketches spaced across an episode. Scientists working in a corporate lab or R&D guys.

"What if we had a syringe that would just suck the age out of people"

"That won't work"

"No. But it'd be great if it did".

They then proceed to take this idea they know won't work up the corporatechain, the joke being that Everyone at every stage knows and openly admits it won't work, but acts as if it will because of how nice It'd be if it did. Identification would be nice but I really want the actual clips on YouTube or whatever since it has so many parallels with real life scams and borderline scams like Theranos, star citizen, various Kickstarter and indygogo projects and so on and would be a good response in their respective threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Wet Tie Affair posted:

Pretty sure it's this, I watched the same video in high school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scrNCHe8RFs

YES. It's not exactly as I remembered it, but this has to be it. Between this and the equivalent Games thread recently finding that edutainment game where you get violently killed by bats, I think that's all my lingering mysteries solved.