Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Spudalicious posted:

Nothing in cooking really "has" to be done any way at all, it's all subjective and up to personal preference and most recipes are hard to totally ruin. Coincidentally you should salt things just before eating, you just are adding sodium with none of the saltiness if you cook it into whatever.

CSPAMishly:] *crack* ... *ping*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Spudalicious posted:

Nothing in cooking really "has" to be done any way at all, it's all subjective and up to personal preference and most recipes are hard to totally ruin. Coincidentally you should salt things just before eating, you just are adding sodium with none of the saltiness if you cook it into whatever.

I'm not talking about personal preferences but arbitrary rules like, "you just are adding sodium with none of the saltiness if you cook it into whatever." That isn't true. When you salt early it has more time to diffuse across cell membranes so that it enhances the flavor and is seasoned evenly. If you only salt at the end, the salt will lay on the surface or dissolve in any liquid causing uneven seasoning.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
OK sheesh, some things I do prefer the salt cooked in more, like mashed potatoes or stuff like that. On most proteins I prefer a bit of sea salt right before I eat it and it gets a much more salty punch. MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE :argh:

Ignore my bit about sodium.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Spudalicious posted:

I love chicken sashimi and gently simmered canned goods. Screw those "rules" about 'food safety'. loving Big Recipe all up in my kitchen.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has anyone tried the recipes on PressureLuck?

Yes - I've made his shrimp in lobster sauce at least a dozen times, did his corned beef and cabbage for St. Pat's, dijon dill chicken, and most recently sausage and shells.

Every one was fantastic. PressureLuck is my go-to.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Shrimp in a pressure cooker? Even at 1 minute it sounds like it'd make them rubbery.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i know its hard to make this stuff look good a lot of the time but that food just looks so wet

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WescottF1 posted:

Yes - I've made his shrimp in lobster sauce at least a dozen times, did his corned beef and cabbage for St. Pat's, dijon dill chicken, and most recently sausage and shells.

Every one was fantastic. PressureLuck is my go-to.

Yeah I took the plunge and did the sausage/onions/peppers mix with the cheese sauce and had about 5 meals worth which was perfect. Tasted pretty good too!

I then put a chicken into the pot last week and somehow managed to gently caress that up, so this is the level of chef I am.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Didn’t know about that site. The Cajun pasta looks amazing. Will also be foul wrapping a burger patty and pressure cooking it because why the hell not

E: gently caress why did I not think of amatriciana sauce in the instant pot?

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 22, 2019

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

i know its hard to make this stuff look good a lot of the time but that food just looks so wet

Didn't understand this until I went to the site.. Jesus Christ

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

BraveUlysses posted:

To be fair, it's a wet cooking method. It's not like toast, or porridge, or a pear.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

angerbeet posted:

To be fair, it's a wet cooking method. It's not like toast, or porridge, or a pear.

*uses instant pot to grill hotdogs*

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's a good cooking method, just not for like, salad.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Croatoan posted:

Shrimp in a pressure cooker? Even at 1 minute it sounds like it'd make them rubbery.

So like I said, I doubt shrimp in a pressure cooker so I tried PressureLuck's shrimp scampi and that was the worst shrimp scampi I've ever had. That was poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That PressureLuck guy has really questionable taste buds. He never reduces the liquids and he usually adds a lot of it. He always thickens it with cornstarch slurry. He also uses copious amounts of beef stock cubes which are basically just expensive salt licks and he uses jarred garlic a lot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My wife discovered that yogurt is super easy in the IP and has been making a bunch of delicious Greek style yogurt, flavored and plain. She made sour cream, which is closer to slightly sour Mexican crema, also delicious. But the best has been cottage cheese which is barely sour at all and blows away anything from the store.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

wormil posted:

My wife discovered that yogurt is super easy in the IP and has been making a bunch of delicious Greek style yogurt, flavored and plain. She made sour cream, which is closer to slightly sour Mexican crema, also delicious. But the best has been cottage cheese which is barely sour at all and blows away anything from the store.

If I could make my own cottage cheese and sour cream I would spend way less money. Do you think the processes would work with lactose free milk? Lactose free stuff at the store is like 3 bucks more expensive, but it beats taking a pill and still risking the misery.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

gamingCaffeinator posted:

If I could make my own cottage cheese and sour cream I would spend way less money. Do you think the processes would work with lactose free milk? Lactose free stuff at the store is like 3 bucks more expensive, but it beats taking a pill and still risking the misery.

Well I honestly have no idea. I believe you can make lactose free yogurt so probably?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
At worst you’d just have to replace it with some other sugar?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

wormil posted:

This is a good reminder that I need to get back into making yogurt in my IP, thanks!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
We need something to thicken the sour cream next time because it's kind of funny.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

I make fat-free skyr in the IP, using the yogurt function. The only difference is that I put in 3-4 drops of rennet (for a half gallon of milk) when I add the culture. I let it chill overnight, and strain it until it's super thick, almost like cream cheese.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Oooh, do you have a go to recipie for cottage cheese?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sportman posted:

Oooh, do you have a go to recipie for cottage cheese?

She's asleep but tomorrow I'll ask what recipe she used. I'm sure she googled and used one of the top results, it required vinegar, not rennet.

Tonight I made corn bread with leftover whey from yogurt and it was delicious.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I am absolutely certain that this has been done in the thread before but I made chili in my instant pot today and it's really drat good. I did not use a recipe that would be weird for chili.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Croatoan posted:

I did not use a recipe that would be weird for chili.

Ok but now I'm convinced you did

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Chili was one of the first things I made and it made me a believer in the cult of the Instant Pot. Something about how the spices get bound to the fat.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I love elk season because everybody has an excess of game meat and I am about to get wild on some IP elk bolognese

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone have a favourite, simple, no fail chili instantpot recipe? Easier the better! :haw:

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Step 1:

Step 2:
Turn on instant pot

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My wife started giving away yogurt and now we have people bringing us gallons of milk to make more yogurt, lol. Never ceases to amaze me how motivated people are by food.

Tomorrow is stock day. I'll make veg stock followed by chicken stock. It'll last about 2 days.

priznat posted:

Anyone have a favourite, simple, no fail chili instantpot recipe? Easier the better! :haw:

Michigan Chili
1# ground meat product
1 can kidney beans
1 can tomatoes
15 minutes on high. Done.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

priznat posted:

I mean, I really didn't have a recipe but here's what I did.

1 lb ground beef
1 lb hot sausage
Brown that and throw in the instant pot

5 jalapenos. I like mine warm so I didn't seed them and one was a really big one. Cut off the stems though.
1 sweet onion
a big handful or two of baby carrots
4 tomatillos
Threw all that in my food processor and did a fairly rough chop. Throw that in the instant pot

2 cans great northerns
1 can kidney beans
1 small can tomato paste
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
Probably about 4 or 5 tbsp ancho chili powder? It's up to you how much I guess
about 2 tbsp cumin

Put it all in, stir and cooked it on chili for 20 minutes.

It needed more tomatoes so I added a 12 oz can of diced tomatoes and a small can of tomato sauce. Also realized it needed salt so I added that and some more chili powder. Not sure how much but probably another tbsp or 2?

Cooked it on chili for another 10 minutes.

It was really drat good. It would have been better with 1" chuck meat instead of ground beef but I was being cheap.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I would eat it. I make stews all the time from whatever is leftover or on sale I don't even think in terms of recipe. Tough meat I'll pressure cook first, then add the rest of the ingredients. But if you are interested in a really good chili recipe, here is one I've made a few times.

Dunkman's chili
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852&pagenumber=6#post401502041

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You can adapt any of these for the IP: https://www.seriouseats.com/roundups/chili-recipes

The chili thread is also a wealth of knowledge: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852

Personally I prefer to only make the beef stock in the IP and use an enameled dutch oven for the cook-down but you could do the whole thing in an IP.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Alright I am a brand new owner of an intantpot ultra 6Qt.

What are some beginner friendly never fail recipes you guys recomend?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Skyarb posted:

I like everything I have tried from http://www.twosleevers.com so far. Bonus is she has a Keto section since I am doing that too but I used her site before I started Keto and everything has been good.

Otherwise its going to depend on what kind of food you like. Anything that you can do in a crockpot can be done in minutes. Same with things like Chili and stuff that you make on the stove all day.

I made a couple batches of chili recently and only used the IP to cook the meat I used and did everything else in a big pot while I chopped and seasoned each layer but I had time to do it and sometimes you just want to spend an hour preparing and cooking stuff.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Skyarb posted:

Dadcooksdinner.com has reliable IP recipes. I've made many of them and they were all good.

Beware, a lot of pressure cooker recipes are converted crock pot recipes and have way too much liquid added. (Not on the site above)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Make a shitload of the best chicken soup you'll ever have

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

The Glumslinger posted:

Make a shitload of the best chicken soup you'll ever have

Recipe please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Skyarb posted:

Kenji has a series of amazing and simple recipes here:

https://www.seriouseats.com/roundups/pressure-cooker-recipes

They're all awesome(theres a bunch that don't use extra liquid but just run on what water is present in the ingredients, which was a key lesson in not making everything super soupy for me :) ) .