Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Luckyellow posted:

I don't think that we would even have any debate with Trump. Dude has noticeably gotten much worse and his handlers probably will try and avoid doing any debates. Anybody but Biden will completely destroy him.

Trump will have to show up for at least one debate.
He'll get on stage, lie his rear end off like he always does, and try to treat it like a other one of his klan rallies.

The only real question will be whether or not his opponent will rightly call "Bullshit." loudly enough that they don't even need a mic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty sure he did, after Mayor Butt took all of his supporters away and he was polling in the MOE

I don’t understand what it is that he thinks he offers that 5-7 other candidates already have

He got a mild popularity bump and a bunch of good buzz after he said a curse word on camera and called Trump a racist. He seems to think that means he has a real shot for victory if he goes all-in on being "the guy who hates Trump".

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Luckyellow posted:

I don't think that we would even have any debate with Trump. Dude has noticeably gotten much worse and his handlers probably will try and avoid doing any debates. Anybody but Biden will completely destroy him.

Biden/Trump debate would be like a triumphant return to the brainmelt of the Dan Quayle years

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

the_steve posted:

Trump will have to show up for at least one debate.
He'll get on stage, lie his rear end off like he always does, and try to treat it like a other one of his klan rallies.

The only real question will be whether or not his opponent will rightly call "Bullshit." loudly enough that they don't even need a mic.
There's no room for the kid gloves this time around. I expect anyone against him to loudly call out bullshit, unless it's Biden.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

new polling from fox (which is not on the Banned Poll list) which features, among other things, the worst head-to-head numbers for trump i've ever seen, with every leading candidate winning outside the moe.

also an overall -13 approval rating for him which is like their worst in over a year

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1162126642002743296
https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1162123544446283776

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 16, 2019

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hypothetical head-to-head polling is probably the dumbest thing that gets polled, and that's saying something since polling is already dumb poo poo for morons (disclaimer: I am a moron who eats up dumb poo poo).

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

drat, Sanders seems to be getting clobbered by Warren at the moment. She's making serious strides in all polls and Sanders seems to be floundering.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Hypothetical head-to-head polling is probably the dumbest thing that gets polled, and that's saying something since polling is already dumb poo poo for morons (disclaimer: I am a moron who eats up dumb poo poo).

yeah i bet it's more reflective of the overall high disapproval in this poll than anything else. it's halfway interesting because of how it's moved over time but has like near zero predictive power

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

drat, Sanders seems to be getting clobbered by Warren at the moment. She's making serious strides in all polls and Sanders seems to be floundering.

Helps when the media boosts your campaign.

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames

Crows Turn Off posted:

The numbers aren't real and the likely voter screen is altered every time to create the exact narrative you're co-manufacturing fyi

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Faustian Bargain posted:

There's no room for the kid gloves this time around. I expect anyone against him to loudly call out bullshit, unless it's Biden.

i dislike biden as much as the next leftist, but he did do a pretty good job of contemptuously dunking on Paul Ryan

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ross perot in hell posted:

The numbers aren't real and the likely voter screen is altered every time to create the exact narrative you're co-manufacturing fyi

I came to post this.
The media is still actively trying to sabotage Bernie. Don't let them trick you.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yang Yang Yang

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

RC Cola posted:

I came to post this.
The media is still actively trying to sabotage Bernie. Don't let them trick you.

Well I mean...they're going to do that. They did it last time. And what sucks is, the narrative they craft tends to stick for most Americans. It's dumb as all hell but don't handwave that away. If you want Bernie to win it's something you have to be aware of and have a narrative counter for. Because they will kneecap him, and that may sway voters.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

were all those polls with Bernie in the lead of the non-Biden group fake news trickery, or were those ones real? or did they want us to think bernie was in the lead only to crush our hopes on purpose

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

eke out posted:

were all those polls with Bernie in the lead of the non-Biden group fake news trickery, or were those ones real? or did they want us to think bernie was in the lead only to crush our hopes on purpose

All the polls are BS but some may or may not land closer to the truth than others. What's the truth? Check back after the Iowa caucus to find out!

And just like how Bezos (probably) isn't giving his newsroom explicit anti-Bernie marching orders, but hiring the kinds of people who just happen to have the worldview that leads to an anti-Bernie slant to their reporting, we can say that the polls aren't actively constructed to be anti-Bernie, but the assumptions underlying them are similarly based off of a worldview where someone like him just can't be the nominee. That Bernie sometimes overcomes the inherent bias built into the system and polls well doesn't mean the bias has ceased to exist.

Edit: Even further, polls are not meant to display objective truth about the will of the people or whatever. Polls are, like most things in politics, not really meant to reflect reality as much as they are meant to help shape it. Thus the best way you can respond to this attempt to construct a narrative is to broadcast polls that are good for your message while deriding polls that run counter to it. To do otherwise is to cede the battle to the people paying for the polls, which are generally elite institutions that have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 16, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Last I checked Bernie was winning in all polls. Ever.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 16, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

But wait, there's more!

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/12/bernie-sanders-acing-electability-test-another-poll-shows-senator-crushing-trump

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

I've seen the polls (which if you knew anything measure ley lines) and the fowl Slanders goose is cooked.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hobotrashcanfires posted:

I've seen the polls (which if you knew anything measure ley lines) and the fowl Slanders goose is cooked.

If it's as cooked as you say then it's going to be deliciouso :berned:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crows Turn Off posted:

This is a pretty good example of how people who get information through the media get a biased view of reality. Bernie is up 2 points in the RCP average since immediately after the 2nd debate. Warren is up 3.5. Warren isn't clobbering Bernie. Warren is clobbering Harris, who is down 7.2 since her average high after the 1st debate. And that is without mentioning that RCP doesn't include certain polls that favor Bernie (Harris X/ Scott Rasmussen Tracking Poll, reuters/ipsos).

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
And to add on to that, nobody is talking about how Biden is still the frontrunner and at top of the polls lately.

What the heck does has to happen to knock Biden down? Are people seriously favoring Biden just simply because he reminds them of Obama?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Biden will lead the polls until he underperforms in a primary. His appeal is electability, which will only be proven wrong once actual votes are cast.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

joepinetree posted:

Biden will lead the polls until he underperforms in a primary. His appeal is electability, which will only be proven wrong once actual votes are cast.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

joepinetree posted:

I think it'll be even sooner than that. It's becoming more and more difficult to ignore the fact that he's slowing down, both in terms of energy and cognitive ability.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I think "poor kids are just as intelligent as white kids" was definitely peak mushbrain

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
To reiterate:

A big flaming stink posted:

polls mean nothing unless they're good for Bernie

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think "poor kids are just as intelligent as white kids" was definitely peak mushbrain

Give it a month. He'll one-up himself, I promise.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Luckyellow posted:

Lmao is this post serious ? You think the decorum poisoned democrats would “destroy” Trump ? Only Bernie tells it like it is . They would be left sputtering and looking pathetic . You don’t “debate” Trump

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are pretty much as many polls that show Warren down near 10 as polls that show Bernie there, or at least that’s my impression. The weighted averages have them about the same. And I think we mostly agree that the unusual base of support Sanders has - poor; young; Hispanic - is generally going to result in polls that underrate him.

Bernie is getting absolutely slaughtered by the MSM, worse than 2016, I’m pretty sure. But he can’t just sit back and complain, he’s got to have a strategy to reduce or counteract his unfair coverage (which is as much a problem of them ignoring him as slandering him, although both are problems). I hope and trust his team knows this and is working on it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mellow Seas posted:

There are pretty much as many polls that show Warren down near 10 as polls that show Bernie there, or at least that’s my impression. The weighted averages have them about the same. And I think we mostly agree that the unusual base of support Sanders has - poor; young; Hispanic - is generally going to result in polls that underrate him.

Bernie is getting absolutely slaughtered by the MSM, worse than 2016, I’m pretty sure. But he can’t just sit back and complain, he’s got to have a strategy to reduce or counteract his unfair coverage (which is as much a problem of them ignoring him as slandering him, although both are problems). I hope and trust his team knows this and is working on it.

Their strategy right now seems to be, "do an end-run around the media by going on youtube shows and podcasts with massive audiences." Which, I gotta say - sound strategy. A lot of the voters he's trying to turn out already hate the MSM anyway, and rightfully so.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

VH4Ever posted:

Why the gently caress is Joe staffing up a White House he hasn't even won the right to run for yet? Jesus Christ, of all the things I hate about the "old school" Democratic Party it's this ASSUMPTION they won just for showing up I probably hate most. Turbofuck this poo poo so hard. We're months away from Iowa and he's thinking up cabinet positions and poo poo already. Good loving God the hubris.

EDIT

Assuming it's even true of course. It SOUNDS true though, right? Like, this is a thing old school Dems do on the reg.

Every candidate who's serious about winning should be doing this.

Otherwise you end up like Trump and have no one lined up the day after the election.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Majorian posted:

Their strategy right now seems to be, "do an end-run around the media by going on youtube shows and podcasts with massive audiences." Which, I gotta say - sound strategy. A lot of the voters he's trying to turn out already hate the MSM anyway, and rightfully so.

And I think it's working, at least as far as exposure to audiences that may not normally vote or may not have gotten Bernie's message otherwise. That Joe Rogan interview has almost 9 million views on youtube (and that doesn't include whoever listens to the podcast directly), and Cardi B has something like 50 million followers on insta. For comparison, total number of voters in the 2016 Dem Primaries was somewhere north of 30 million people.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Proper response.

https://twitter.com/allinwithchris/status/1162174614157574145

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

^ Now that is the proper response.

Majorian posted:

I hear they’re going to do twitch too.

Take the message of the people to the platform of the people.

Every time he puts out a great YouTube piece I’m donating.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 16, 2019

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
fuckin get em Bernie , Israel is an apartheid state . Coincidence would have it they hate the 2 Muslim members of Congress

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gently caress he is so GOOD

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

gently caress he is so GOOD

Right?!

See, this is why he's the best, particularly on foreign policy. Warren's not going to say anything like that, even though she absolutely should.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

John Hickenlooper's exit from the race got me thinking back to 538's article on his campaign and how hilarious one of its graphics was

quote:

Perhaps his penchant for viral videos will make him a favorite among millennials; the craft beer lover and banjo player already has a touch of hipster cred. A smarter strategy might be leaning into being the “cannabis candidate.” As governor of the first state where marijuana sales became legal (in 2014), Hickenlooper oversaw the law’s implementation and has nurtured a thriving cannabis industry. But while he hasn’t been shy about touting the benefits of recreational pot, activists may not be willing to forget that he initially opposed legalization in 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did they just throw darts at the wall to pick random groups they thought would support him?