Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Are other VMware shops using DHCP, with or without reseved addresses, for the vMotion and NFS interfaces on their ESXi hosts? I have been pushing for this at work, on the theory that doing IPAM for those addresses is boring. People, including our TAM, pushing back because Change is Bad. I can't believe that using DHCP is problematic in 2019 but that's the impression I get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Our SRM Target LUNs are filling up, and the VMDKs are way bigger than the source VMDKs, even though it's set to thin provision on both ends. Is this normal or what gives?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Are other VMware shops using DHCP, with or without reseved addresses, for the vMotion and NFS interfaces on their ESXi hosts? I have been pushing for this at work, on the theory that doing IPAM for those addresses is boring. People, including our TAM, pushing back because Change is Bad. I can't believe that using DHCP is problematic in 2019 but that's the impression I get.

Eh, I have not because I am the only one managing our environment, and it isn't too big (20 hosts), but its on my radar whenever I get the time.

I don't see any real issues with it, just make sure your DHCP server is available.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I think it all depends on where is the dhcp server located compared to the cluster. Is the dhcp host contained in the cluster? If the answer is no i see minimal issues, if yes no loving way.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 15, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

bolind posted:

Is this the place to ask about docker?

Anyone else feel like there's some room in SH/SC for a megathread dealing with (for lack of a better term) homelab type stuff? Things that are more professional level hardware/software, but used in the context oh a home environment. Right now there's this thread, the NAS thread, the home networking thread, etc. but there's a fair amount of gray area and crossover that none of those threads really hit. Things like higher end networking gear, VPN's, Docker, Rackmount stuff, etc.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There was a pretty great Home Lab thread actually :eng101: But looks like it eventually petered out and got archived. Feel free to start a new one if you have cool poo poo to talk about.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561669

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

I think it all depends on where is the dhcp server located compared to the cluster. Is the dhcp host contained in the cluster? If the answer is no i see minimal issues, if yes no loving way.

It never even occurred to me that the DHCP server might be a VM inside the cluster. Now I almost want to try to draw that up and present it and see who twigs first. It feels like one of those great screw-ups where the layers of protection in the system will protect you in most situations, and so by the time you find yourself in a situation where you're impacted, you've forgotten you even had this issue, the impact is total because you wouldn't even notice the problem unless things were massively hosed up, and then you're utterly baffled.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I did an audit of our systems for business continuity/DR readiness and found that our database of customer credentials was encrypted using a key that was stored in the same system.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
My Security Virtual Lab has the primary router as a VM inside the cluster, but the servers and controller workstation have static IPs.

Its built that way on purpose to let us disable network access in an emergency.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

there are vendors who will sell you a kms for data at rest for virtualized data centers

as virtual appliances

with no good solution for recovery

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So there's just no nested virtualization in W10 on AMDs, right?

From my :google: VMware Workstation and Hyper-V both don't support it but I'd be really happy to be wrong because goddamn, those Ryzen 9s...

:(

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 16, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

So there's just no nested virtualization in W10 on AMDs, right?

From my :google: VMware Workstation and Hyper-V both don't support it but I'd be really happy to be wrong because goddamn, those Ryzen 9s...

:(

No, it should support Nested Virtualization, but you may have to make a config change. Had to do this before.

I was wrong, its intel only :(

However, its apoarently a Microsoft issue, not so much an AMD one.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 16, 2019

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Eh, if entire entire cluster is hosed (thus DHCP dead) I'm sure I'll be working on bigger issues than digging why my vMotion subnet isn't getting handed an IP.

Still can't hurt to toss that service on a L3 switch or something.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CommieGIR posted:

No, it should support Nested Virtualization, but you may have to make a config change. Had to do this before.

I was wrong, its intel only :(

However, its apoarently a Microsoft issue, not so much an AMD one.

I think you can nest on AMD on ESXi but I'm planning on this desktop being, you know, a desktop.

This is Microsoft quid pro quoing Intel's for Intel's help in driving W10 sales by spiking Windows 7 on newer processors maybe 5 years ago?

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Moey posted:

Eh, if entire entire cluster is hosed (thus DHCP dead) I'm sure I'll be working on bigger issues than digging why my vMotion subnet isn't getting handed an IP.

exactly, and just set a long lease time

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Related. Is there any free nested virtualization for Android emulators? Few years back someone charged an arm and a leg to run them on AWS to the point where it wasn’t worth it for one of the top 3 app developers to even consider using.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Hughlander posted:

Related. Is there any free nested virtualization for Android emulators? Few years back someone charged an arm and a leg to run them on AWS to the point where it wasn’t worth it for one of the top 3 app developers to even consider using.

Protip: run android emulators on ARM instances. Doing QEMU emulation from x86 is extremely slow.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 17, 2019

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

COOL CORN posted:

Our SRM Target LUNs are filling up, and the VMDKs are way bigger than the source VMDKs, even though it's set to thin provision on both ends. Is this normal or what gives?

How are you replicating the data? What storage are you using? Do you run space reclamation on your thin provisioned datastores to re-thin them.

Potato Salad posted:

there are vendors who will sell you a kms for data at rest for virtualized data centers

as virtual appliances

with no good solution for recovery

Well, usually the recovery involves downloading a file and sticking it somewhere else. I’ve never seen a virtual KMS that flat out didn’t have a recovery capability.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm using VMware Workstation Player on an Ubuntu host for compatibility purposes. I had my first machine corrupt and it was faster to just recreate the machine (any vital information shows up as a networked drive from the host which has a bunch of backups and redundancies).

Is the best way to back this up in case I have another corruption just to copy [Machine Name] folder to one of my actively synced/backed up folders?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Might be an odd question, does VMware have an equivalent to KVM in terms of performance?

I just see a KVM host in the middle of the Internets running a lot faster than VMware clustering with dynamic CPU scaling at a big company (tm). I see that a lot of Amazon AWS has migrated from Xen to KVM, matching Linode.com from way back in 2015 or so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
What's the best way to get started on KVM? Is there a distro like XCP with the OS and KVM already configured?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
If you're looking for something high-level that's already configured for use, then Proxmox is pretty good. Web GUI management.

https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MrMoo posted:

Might be an odd question, does VMware have an equivalent to KVM in terms of performance?

I just see a KVM host in the middle of the Internets running a lot faster than VMware clustering with dynamic CPU scaling at a big company (tm). I see that a lot of Amazon AWS has migrated from Xen to KVM, matching Linode.com from way back in 2015 or so.
KVM is a high-performance host virtualization interface for hypervisors to interact with, but KVM core isn't a full hypervisor itself—you still need something like qemu emulating hardware. That makes this question a bit difficult to answer.

AWS runs using custom hardware to provide a lot of the functions, and they've written a lightweight hypervisor called Nitro to make optimal use of it. Brendan Gregg did a great writeup:

http://www.brendangregg.com/blog/2017-11-29/aws-ec2-virtualization-2017.html

Google also has their own hypervisor based on KVM that they use to run Google Cloud.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ooh thanks, interesting.

Linode uses QEMU x KVM - https://www.linode.com/community/questions/10196/linode-kvm-beta

AWS has an article on Nitro being implemented in various IO cards - https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/nitro/

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Virtual Machine Manager is also pretty good.

https://virt-manager.org/

I use it quite a lot.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Anyone know why I can't add a VM to the same port group that a VMkernel port is on using ESXi 6.7 free?

I know in our vCenter 6.7 I can do this.

edit: err maybe I can't. I seem to be confused.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 5, 2019

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kiwid posted:

Anyone know why I can't add a VM to the same port group that a VMkernel port is on using ESXi 6.7 free?

I know in our vCenter 6.7 I can do this.

edit: err maybe I can't. I seem to be confused.

There is nothing stopping you from creating a new port group with the same vlan id and a different name from the problematic one and associating that vm

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions instead of LoginVSI to look at for VDI load testing? It is crazy expensive and they aren’t interested in doing anything shorter than a 3 year subscription for us.

I have seen VMWare View Planner, but it doesn’t really seem like anyone uses that (including VMWare).

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Maneki Neko posted:

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions instead of LoginVSI to look at for VDI load testing? It is crazy expensive and they aren’t interested in doing anything shorter than a 3 year subscription for us.

I have seen VMWare View Planner, but it doesn’t really seem like anyone uses that (including VMWare).

Liquidware Stratosphere UX or Lakeside Systrack

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I realize this is a completely nuts setup but I have a loaded dual-processor Xserve G4 that I got for $10 like 5 years ago, is there any way to virtualize MacOS 7/8/9 environments on it with a (native/passthrough) G4 processor?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I realize this is a completely nuts setup but I have a loaded dual-processor Xserve G4 that I got for $10 like 5 years ago, is there any way to virtualize MacOS 7/8/9 environments on it with a (native/passthrough) G4 processor?

SheepShaver is probably your best bet for virtualizing classic MacOS if the Classic environment in OS X prior to 10.5 isn't doing it for you.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

There is nothing stopping you from creating a new port group with the same vlan id and a different name from the problematic one and associating that vm

That's what I ended up doing, I just thought you were able to use a vm network and vmkernel in the same port group.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

kiwid posted:

That's what I ended up doing, I just thought you were able to use a vm network and vmkernel in the same port group.

On a DVswitch you can. On a standard vswitch each vmkernel gets its own port group.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Liquidware Stratosphere UX or Lakeside Systrack

Thanks! Now just dealing with terrible sales people :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What’s the cheapest way to get 4+ cores, 32GB memory, and 2 but hopefully 3 drives in something to run VM’s?

I’m thinking of a Lenovo P50, or other similar laptop?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

What’s the cheapest way to get 4+ cores, 32GB memory, and 2 but hopefully 3 drives in something to run VM’s?

I’m thinking of a Lenovo P50, or other similar laptop?

What's your endgame with the multiple drives? Media storage?

What hypervisor?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Moey posted:

What's your endgame with the multiple drives? Media storage?

What hypervisor?

Installing a handful of 256/512 cheap ssd’s To ease up drive contention

VMware or proxmox most likely

Probably overkill for playing with docker, kubernetes, Linux

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Maybe a NUC? I imagine you're running it headless so the monitor isn't a huge necessity?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Look at HP Elitedesk minis on eBay, up to quad core, pancake sized, can fill em with ram. Spend a little more on a larger SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Maybe a NUC? I imagine you're running it headless so the monitor isn't a huge necessity?

A laptop would be nice for the screen, but I have a couple monitors laying around plus three on my desk so hooking one up to DVI or something isn't a big deal