Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Good things in Invisible War, as I approach the end of my replay:

A) The tiny spiderbots.

B) The conversation with JC is maybe the only decent piece of writing in the game? It's infodumpy but at least it's interesting.

C) It's a very short game, I'm about 80% through for six hours of play, so at least you're not slogging through 50 hours of garbage.

It's remarkable how bad all the dialogue is. Both in writing and in delivery by the voice actors. How did everyone forget how to do everything after making the first game?

It's especially interesting in how the first game's dialog wasn't what you would conventionally call "good". The delivery was often goofy, everyone was really interested in talking philosophy, and the accents... were there.

But it still had charm, explored interesting ideas, and when it was terrible, it was often a memorable and fun kind of terrible. Meanwhile, Invisible War's dialog is both worse and more forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Invisible War voice actors all sound like podcasts on 1.5x speed. I don't know why everyone's plowing through their lines so fast. I guess so they can stop reading lovely dialogue and go home?

Also what the gently caress was with the weird squeaky voice guy who they had voice like... 50% of the male characters. They couldn't find anyone not made of helium? The fact that he does so many NPCs...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i hadnt played a deus ex game in years and didnt like human revolution. last week i bought mankind divided on a whim because it was on sale. just finished the game. really enjoyed it!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Grand Fromage posted:

Good things in Invisible War, as I approach the end of my replay:

A) The tiny spiderbots.

B) The conversation with JC is maybe the only decent piece of writing in the game? It's infodumpy but at least it's interesting.

C) It's a very short game, I'm about 80% through for six hours of play, so at least you're not slogging through 50 hours of garbage.

It's remarkable how bad all the dialogue is. Both in writing and in delivery by the voice actors. How did everyone forget how to do everything after making the first game?

I usually take about 12-15 hours to finish Invisible War. I explored everywhere and talk to everyone. I'm trying to "shorten" my current playthroughs by picking and sticking to one side only.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Earwicker posted:

i hadnt played a deus ex game in years and didnt like human revolution. last week i bought mankind divided on a whim because it was on sale. just finished the game. really enjoyed it!

Me too!

Did you get the DLC stories, too? Desperate Measures is really obviously just a side mission cut out of the main game, and short, but not bad, but System Rift was a respectable sized bit of fun, and I haven't really started A Criminal Past yet, but it's looking pretty ambitious, too. So I'd recommend them if you don't have them yet (if they come in a package, I think I bought the season pass like a year and a half after it came out, even if I didn't actually play it at all until about two weeks ago).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I have a confession to make. Deus Ex in the day time weirds me out. The first have of MD and the Prison DLC kept making me wish the sun would set.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah it came with the dlc stories and they look interesting though i need a bit of a break from adam jensen

excited to see if they do a sequel (the ending heavily implied that they were), i realy loved the way they did the open world this time, small but incredibly detailed. im usually not at all a completionist in video games and get annoyed when games try to give a bunch of extra plot in the form of emails that you have to read or whatever, but in this one i not only did every side quest but i found myself hacking into every random computer i came across and reading every notepad just because it all flushed out the world so well

and yeah i know daytime goes against the established aesthetic of the games and cyberpunk in general but i thought the daytime prague map was really well done

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

chaosapiant posted:

I usually take about 12-15 hours to finish Invisible War. I explored everywhere and talk to everyone. I'm trying to "shorten" my current playthroughs by picking and sticking to one side only.

I remembered it being longer too, but I've been going everywhere and doing all the side quests and it's still going super fast. I haven't been loving around that much though. Last time I played I remember having a personal mission to stuff every dumpster with as many corpses as possible which took a while.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chaosapiant posted:

I have a confession to make. Deus Ex in the day time weirds me out. The first have of MD and the Prison DLC kept making me wish the sun would set.

Ironic because of all the sunglasses! :cheeky:

Yeah its a little odd. Noir is just best at night, and in the rain.

Course, there are Noire movies which break that convention, and the new Cyberpunk game is doing daytime and looks like they're pulling it off.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Ironic because of all the sunglasses! :cheeky:

My vision is augmented.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

My vision is augmented.

At least it is a way that we know it is not Paul.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

The Invisible War voice actors all sound like podcasts on 1.5x speed. I don't know why everyone's plowing through their lines so fast. I guess so they can stop reading lovely dialogue and go home?

Also what the gently caress was with the weird squeaky voice guy who they had voice like... 50% of the male characters. They couldn't find anyone not made of helium? The fact that he does so many NPCs...

I think they did some kind of compression to save file size for some or all of the dialogue. Far Cry 2 also did this to a much greater extent and the voice acting is all comically flat and rushed as a result. Like the whole world just wants to rush through the words and get back to shooting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

One area I think IW works okay is the endings. All the DX games are abrupt at the end so I can't attack just IW for that. The Helios and Illuminati ones are both interesting and clearly imperfect futures, I don't know which one of them I like. It seems like Helios does become a collective consciousness despite JC claiming it isn't, so I lean somewhat more Illuminati.

The Templar one is dumb. I can totally buy the idea that biomodification is inherently a problem and maybe getting rid of it is the way to go, but starting a religious pogrom globally to murder everyone with tech is completely unjustifiable. The Templars are never presented in any way that makes them sympathetic.

Omar ending also, the idea of humanity going out to colonize the universe is nice and all but destroying everyone in the process, not great. Not as dumb as the Templar ending but also hard to justify.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Grand Fromage posted:

All the DX games are abrupt at the end so I can't attack just IW for that.
No, the original DX really doesn't have abrupt endings. I have no idea why people keep saying that.

Every ending is internally and ideologically consistent, with the game and NPCs making a convincing argument for JC to choose each all game long. Nothing comes out of the blue in the last level.

And it takes a while to work towards each ending, with additional arguments being thrown your way to possibly make you change your mind.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Abrupt in that they don't have an epilogue for the most part. JC steps out of the chamber, or Area 51 blows up. The Illuminati ending is slightly more fleshed out.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m surprised to see hate for GMDX. I played it back in summer 2017 and thought it was really good. Has it changed considerably since then?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
nope in 2017 you would have played 9.0, which is the final major version as of now

other posters played 8.0 in 2016 and hated it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Grey's kind of came out of the blue in the last level.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gaius Marius posted:

The Grey's kind of came out of the blue in the last level.
Versalife. And earlier emails etc.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

brap posted:

I’m surprised to see hate for GMDX. I played it back in summer 2017 and thought it was really good. Has it changed considerably since then?

i remember not liking earlier versions, but my playthrough earlier this year with 9.0 was probably my favorite run through i've had.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Anybody know if the current Revision mod works on the GOG version? The download says Steam only and the posts with tweaks are from four years ago.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Spun Dog posted:

Anybody know if the current Revision mod works on the GOG version? The download says Steam only and the posts with tweaks are from four years ago.

Looks like Revision is bundled with the GOG version. Looking at the gog forum the top link is for how not to play Revision, since it's apparently the default choice if you launch from Galaxy.
https://www.gog.com/forum/deus_ex_series/how_can_i_deactive_the_revision_mod

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It makes me nerd angry that someone would unknowingly play Revision and base their opinions of the game based solely on that.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Cat Mattress posted:

Looks like Revision is bundled with the GOG version. Looking at the gog forum the top link is for how not to play Revision, since it's apparently the default choice if you launch from Galaxy.
https://www.gog.com/forum/deus_ex_series/how_can_i_deactive_the_revision_mod

Holy crap, thanks. I'll just download it from GOG again, last time I did it was years ago and it didn't come with Revision.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
looks like revision got an update a few days ago

https://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-revision/news/patch-142-is-live

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
has anyone tried this "community update" for GMDX?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx-v10-community-update

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Not yet, I just finished a GMDX run and should take a break. I'll do my next run with it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Helianthus Annuus posted:

I wasn't planning on it, but... I might have to now. This looks pretty great.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I sure wish there was a “megamod” that combines the best of GemDicks 9.0 with the graphical upgrade and level layouts of Revision. I guess the closest I can get is just running Revision in Biomod mode.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It makes me nerd angry that someone would unknowingly play Revision and base their opinions of the game based solely on that.

The Steam version doesn't support 1440p out of the box and has mouse accel that can't be turned off, at least not easily. The GOG version is probably the lesser evil as far as impressions go.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Xander77 posted:

No, the original DX really doesn't have abrupt endings. I have no idea why people keep saying that.

Because it's accurate. There's no denouement, which makes an ending feel abrupt in any form of fiction.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I didn’t feel that either the original or IWar had abrupt endings. They both conclude in a fairly complete and comprehensive fashion. But it is a shame we don’t get ending slides or a narrator telling us what happened after all the cool choices we made.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Press F to change the course of human history.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I sure wish there was a “megamod” that combines the best of GemDicks 9.0 with the graphical upgrade and level layouts of Revision. I guess the closest I can get is just running Revision in Biomod mode.
The level layouts of Revision are the worst part.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hell’s Kitchen (First Visit):

Fixed the plane being able to be destroyed by a pistol.

gently caress this patch.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

chaosapiant posted:

I sure wish there was a “megamod” that combines the best of GemDicks 9.0 with the graphical upgrade and level layouts of Revision

I was nerd angry before but now I'm nerd pissed

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

chaosapiant posted:

I didn’t feel that either the original or IWar had abrupt endings. They both conclude in a fairly complete and comprehensive fashion. But it is a shame we don’t get ending slides or a narrator telling us what happened after all the cool choices we made.

Well, when you think about it, about 95% of the game (the first one anyway, don't remember enough about IW but I'm pretty sure it was the same) plays out exactly the same regardless of what ending you're going for. It's only once you are towards the end of Area 51 where the game branches off and you choose your ending. You aren't even made aware of your options until you end up at Area 51. I don't really have an issue with it, but I could see how some people may think it is a little abrupt. I didn't mind that there was no epilogue, either. I just figured they wanted you to decide if the outcome was good or not (though much more likely they just didn't bother writing anything or it got cut along with the other half of the game).

It's not like Human Revolution though where you are literally in the last room of the game and have 3 filing cabinets to click on that decides the fate of humanity.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can see that. I think it’s fair to say that the choices are abrupt, but the endings themselves are a fine coda to the game. HR does feel abrupt and Mankind Divided is half a game.

Speaking of MD, I’m still bitter that we might never see the ending of Jensen’s story, Liberty bombing, and forming of the NSF and Unatco. I want to see how they were going to lead into the first game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Because it's accurate. There's no denouement, which makes an ending feel abrupt in any form of fiction.
What did you want to see? What did you feel was missing from the ending? Were you expecting a literal "this choice was the Bad choice, and here are the exact consequences*"?

Because that would be 100% antithetical to the way the game approaches its endings.

* Tong was stabbed by a Jet addict in the Den, Sgt. Kaplan became the next head of Unatco, the mole people invaded Canada. The gas station bums were exterminated by Majestic 12, even though the player killed all the MJ12 commandos in the area, because a script bug doesn't account for that.

quote:

I feel as though JC has way more of a personality than Jensen, despite how Jensen gets way more work put into his. JC has a freaking coherent character arc as he goes through his game, something Jensen can only wish he had.

When the endgame hits, you can see why JC might choose any of the three endings - and its not because he's a blank projection standing in for the player. The exact opposite is true for Jensen's endgame.

quote:

I think a big part of why JC works is that he's subjected to all the ending options he'll eventually have through the game: you have the power and paranoia of the Illuminati with all the ugly things hidden below its surface perfectly symbolized by Everett's apartment, you've been subjected to the delusions and intrusions of machine gods with Daedalus and Icarus, you've seen how technology can turn against humans with the killswitch and Tong catching the Gray Death; all on personal level, not just through news. Meanwhile, all you get to live through in HR is "Darrow is an rear end in a top hat".

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Xander77 posted:

What did you want to see? What did you feel was missing from the ending? Were you expecting a literal "this choice was the Bad choice, and here are the exact consequences*"?

Because that would be 100% antithetical to the way the game approaches its endings.

Uh, no. Chill out dude.

Mankind Divided I think does it best now that I've finished my full series replay. You get a nice Jensen/Vega denouement scene after London. It's weird given it's the only game that ends on an intentional cliffhanger into sequel yet also the only one with a chance to breathe in its ending. Invisible War sets itself up as The End of The Series with showing 100+ year later events in a couple of the endings. HR has Jensen narrate some stuff that's thematically connected but not plot connected. DX if anything feels the most cliffhangery to me, two of the three endings show what happens in the next like, two minutes after you press the end game button and then fade out. It would work better if there were an immediate sequel that didn't suck.