Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

graph posted:

anyone touch macos server these days? is the management/profile poo poo still nerfed to single subnets or did that change

mac janitor computer toucher here

macos server was already a joke. The only useful part of it left was caching server, and that's not even part of it macos server anymore in 10.14.

Don't use profile manager for poo poo except as a proof of concept. Use a real cheap MDM with something like profilecreator off of github.

Even then , profiles are a small chunk of the management of macos (though apple would have you believe it's all, I almost wonder on the macos dev team if they really believe that, though they use jamf internally) , you'll need something else like munki (open source) or jamf pro (expensive but commercially supported) to actually properly manage that poo poo. Other software stacks will claim to do stuff but are really huge piles of poo poo.

or just an mdm is fine with ios, but, for the love of god, not profile manager

WilWheaton fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

jesus gently caress, $700 for a ~5 year old PC??

i know you're in NZ but goddamn

:qq:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

WilWheaton posted:

mac janitor computer toucher here

macos server was already a joke. The only useful part of it left was caching server, and that's not even part of it macos server anymore in 10.14.

Don't use profile manager for poo poo except as a proof of concept. Use a real cheap MDM with something like profilecreator off of github.

Even then , profiles are a small chunk of the management of macos (though apple would have you believe it's all, I almost wonder on the macos dev team if they really believe that, though they use jamf internally) , you'll need something else like munki (open source) or jamf pro (expensive but commercially supported) to actually properly manage that poo poo. Other software stacks will claim to do stuff but are really huge piles of poo poo.

or just an mdm is fine with ios, but, for the love of god, not profile manager

i appreciate this, thank you. this is only for 5 stations

hey remember when 10.7.3 broke magic triangle? lol

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Macos in the enterprise is so far beyond that broken point that golden triangle being broken feels like a footnote at this point

At this point most well-deployed mac organizations don't even bind to AD because apple's implementation is _so bad_ . There's literally 3rd party pieces of software even apple sells that exist entirely in userland to replace binding macos because it's so badly implemented that it bugs out the OS. (The fact that they are now bundling this piece of software in 10.15 is touted as a huge feature. I can not make this poo poo up.)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

new zealand is an island that is p much as far away from the rest of the world as you can get so of course it costs more money to get anything there.

it makes sense and factoring that into the used prices line up with the us pricing for similar models. im still fairly impressed all those systems held value for so long and that sort of tracks with all the cheaper chromebooks and windows laptops flooding the market and keeping performance targets low for sites and basic software

WilWheaton posted:

heck yeah baseline macos finally so i can cache icloud locally for all devices. id do the app store and updates too but for a personal network with little device overlap its not as useful

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

WilWheaton posted:

Macos in the enterprise is so far beyond broken

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I made friends with a new neighbor last weekend. Apparently he's related to a singer that died a couple years ago, and he's part of a private Facebook group for her. Apparently the admin of the Facebook group dropped off the face of the planet and he's scared all the videos that people uploaded to this group are going to disappear someday, and he wants to get all the photos and videos to her father on a USB drive for safe keeping.

I was able to help him out and get 8,000+ photos saved by using a Chrome extension, but I am unable to find anything that can grab all the videos. I tried 2 extensions for Firefox and 3 for Chrome, and all give me problems when trying to download all the videos (all of them downloaded all the photos just fine). I know there's add-ons that let you download the videos individually but this would take weeks as there's several hundred of them. Is there some sort of way to get all of these videos saved to a local hard drive without having to sit there and save them one-by-one?

Anyone

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Try scripting youtube-dl or something idk

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Captain Foo posted:

Try scripting youtube-dl or something idk

yeah youtube-dl is the first thing i thought of too, but i think youd need to copy the url of each video manually which is prob even slower than just using your browser to download them. i suppose you could scrape the facebook page for video links and build a list of videos, but idk how to do that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Raluek posted:

yeah youtube-dl is the first thing i thought of too, but i think youd need to copy the url of each video manually which is prob even slower than just using your browser to download them. i suppose you could scrape the facebook page for video links and build a list of videos, but idk how to do that

so many ways to do that

perl www::mechanize
java jsoup
python beautiful-soup

etc etc

youtube-dl is the final step after you have a publicly accessible url

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

what leads people to meet someone and within 72 hours doing tech support for them for free

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vomik posted:

what leads people to meet someone and within 72 hours doing tech support for them for free

he should buy a Synology to store all his videos

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Vomik posted:

this got me thinking about the last time i did free tech support and that was helping a coffee shop setup a new wifi router

that resulted in a bunch of free coffee in return and also i go there enough that, personally, i want that wifi to be top notch so i had a somewhat vested interest too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

that coffee over a period of time equaled what id ask for to even look at something so it might actually be the best free support ive even done

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Agile Vector posted:

that coffee over a period of time equaled what id ask for to even look at something so it might actually be the best free support ive even done

this is pretty good

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

this got me thinking about the last time i did free tech support and that was helping a coffee shop setup a new wifi router

that resulted in a bunch of free coffee in return and also i go there enough that, personally, i want that wifi to be top notch so i had a somewhat vested interest too
i had to do something similar for a coffee shop on a small tropical island because it was the only place with reliable internet. except it was some jackass leaving a usb drive in there preventing their computer to work. and the other one had the purple/green ps2 ports switched. it was for my wife’s biweekly unemployment claim, lol. now that’s vacationing in 2009 during an economic meltdown for you.

fixed em both in 5 minutes and got free internet/coffee my whole time there. hell yeah.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Vomik posted:

The fact that earlier in the day we were talking about car problems and he offered to help me fix mine for free? You know, poo poo neighbors do for one another?

Or maybe I should have given him an hourly figure when he asked if I could help him memorialize a dead teenager, idk. Thanks for the helpful reply.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 12, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk if this is the best thread, but I have a website for rodtronics http://rodtronics.design it’s on squarespace and it’s OK at best, I can only tell if something looks bad, not how to fix it

but it’s also not worth the money. so i want to move it to something like pointing to a tumblr, which would be fine if I could sticky a post to the top

has anyone got any other suggestions? preferably free? it’s basically gonna link to my shop, link to my social media accounts, and act a bit like a blog/image feed, so a tumblr with a sticky would work.. if it can do that

appreciate your time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dont give tumblr traffic imo

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
:rodtronics:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

echinopsis posted:

idk if this is the best thread, but I have a website for rodtronics http://rodtronics.design it’s on squarespace and it’s OK at best, I can only tell if something looks bad, not how to fix it

but it’s also not worth the money. so i want to move it to something like pointing to a tumblr, which would be fine if I could sticky a post to the top

has anyone got any other suggestions? preferably free? it’s basically gonna link to my shop, link to my social media accounts, and act a bit like a blog/image feed, so a tumblr with a sticky would work.. if it can do that

appreciate your time

you would simply make ur tumblr theme have whatever you wanted to be always displayed, be part of the static content. u cant sticky a post.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but jonny said no

my t-shirt business is unethical as it stands maybe it doesn’t matter I just need to make money to survive in this grim dark world. I’m even living a better life and not drinking (much) it’s like I’m becoming a better person

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

echinopsis posted:

appreciate your time

how much is square space?

if you wanted the exact same thing but lower cost there are tutorials just to move it to like Wordpress or ghost or whatever like this: https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/how-to-migrate-from-squarespace-to-wordpress/

you’d have to selfhost though which would probably be like $2.5-5 a month.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

appreciate your time

the cheapest option is github pages, which uses the static blogging tool "jekyll"

the easiest option is what you already have -- squarespace

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you get a serious bandwidth constrained free server, seriously, put fastly in front of it. you get $50 of credit for free, it never expires, and we bill at like .015/gig for eu/na traffic. the credit will last forever for any hobby site. even with the default config your actual server bandwidth will drop real low and if you ever make it to hackernews or something you will be glad you have a cdn

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vomik posted:

how much is square space?

if you wanted the exact same thing but lower cost there are tutorials just to move it to like Wordpress or ghost or whatever like this: https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/how-to-migrate-from-squarespace-to-wordpress/

you’d have to selfhost though which would probably be like $2.5-5 a month.

almost $30nzd a mo coz i opted for no contract.. $5 a mo would be better.. rodtronics doesn’t make much money lol

i’ll check that tho, wordpress has been around for ages. it doesn’t even need to look like my current one, just work easily. I didn’t even think of wordpress, so thanks. I seem to remember many nice templates 🤔

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

almost $30nzd a mo coz i opted for no contract.. $5 a mo would be better.. rodtronics doesn’t make much money lol

i’ll check that tho, wordpress has been around for ages. it doesn’t even need to look like my current one, just work easily. I didn’t even think of wordpress, so thanks. I seem to remember many nice templates 🤔

wordpress is poison

if you are willing to do enough work to learn wordpress, use jekyll and github pages. same amount of work at the outset, but you don't have to live with wordpress hell

(and it's $0 a month)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok I’ll entertain that idea and look into it. last I checked wordpress was pretty simple but it can’t hurt to have a look

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I don't know if this will help anyone, but just in case:

We are Office 2016 users and are forced to update our signatures periodically with an image, that is hotlinked to a website. That's fine and dandy, unless the image is a PNG, in which case Outlook won't let you hotlink it, it switches to a 'The Linked image cannot be displayed' error. Same image as a JPG, same URL, it works fine. Also we don't have the BlockHTTPImages key set either.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
ever since i upgraded to win10 1903 a couple weeks ago i've been getting random BSODs (different error codes) shortly after starting from a cold boot. happens about 1 in 5 boots. sometimes it happens at login, sometimes like ~15 seconds after login. never happens after restart. ran memtest and the RAM checked out good. hammered the CPU/RAM for a while with prime95 and worked fine. what the hell did the redmond boys do

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I had W10 stable on my dad's hand-me-down iMac (Late 09 21.5, probably literally one of the last ones with an NVIDIA) but the most recent round of updates bootlooped it.

I'd just reinstall OS X but I managed to overwrite the firmware installing an Linux just to see if I could get the Apple to stop showing up at boot. Turns out you can but it's a one-way trip. :sigh:

I mean, it's not a production machine or anything?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

ever since i upgraded to win10 1903 a couple weeks ago i've been getting random BSODs (different error codes) shortly after starting from a cold boot. happens about 1 in 5 boots. sometimes it happens at login, sometimes like ~15 seconds after login. never happens after restart. ran memtest and the RAM checked out good. hammered the CPU/RAM for a while with prime95 and worked fine. what the hell did the redmond boys do

my desktop encounters a pfn error every time it tries to go to 1903 which is frustrating, the whole release feels messy. somehow a good desktop is unable to upgrade, but my cheap dell tablet from 2013 installed fine and in fact runs smoother so im loving confused here

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

skype crashes on video calls when i move it between screens

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Agile Vector posted:

my desktop encounters a pfn error every time it tries to go to 1903 which is frustrating, the whole release feels messy. somehow a good desktop is unable to upgrade, but my cheap dell tablet from 2013 installed fine and in fact runs smoother so im loving confused here

I tried to update to 1903 for weeks and it didn't work until I unplugged all my USB hard drives. Who the gently caress knows why that worked but give it a shot. I didn't see that resolution listed anywhere. I couldn't even do the manual updates. But unplugging all my USB drives did it.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

I had W10 stable on my dad's hand-me-down iMac (Late 09 21.5, probably literally one of the last ones with an NVIDIA) but the most recent round of updates bootlooped it.

I'd just reinstall OS X but I managed to overwrite the firmware installing an Linux just to see if I could get the Apple to stop showing up at boot. Turns out you can but it's a one-way trip. :sigh:

I mean, it's not a production machine or anything?

they offer the firmware for download that you can burn to a cd. or at least they used to

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I tried to update to 1903 for weeks and it didn't work until I unplugged all my USB hard drives. Who the gently caress knows why that worked but give it a shot. I didn't see that resolution listed anywhere. I couldn't even do the manual updates. But unplugging all my USB drives did it.

im definitely going to do this, thanks! i ran through and manually checked drivers for updates which revealed a few slightly newer intel ones but I bet its probably something like the bluetooth usb thingie breaking the whole process

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wtf all of a sudden windows is stuck in some kind of fullscreen mode.. I came home and now its like the start menu is the desktop? I can't get back to the desktop, I had to do somethjing to get my task bar apps back, every program is opening in fullscreen, my tray has gone, I can't open those apps.

this is so fuckin weird. its like I hit windows key to get start menu thing, but its now *stuck* this way????????? windows-d does nothing

e: lol somehow it had restarted in tablet mode wtf

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 23, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Anybody have any luck doing IPv6 with the archer c9 routers? The router is pulling a DHCPv6 address and then distributing out slaac addresses to the network as I expected, but I can't ping anything in ipv6 outside the lan. It's like the default route doesn't exist or something, but there is no way to see an ipv6 routing table on the device. I have an asus router at home that uses the same config but it has no problems.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Anybody have any luck doing IPv6 with the archer c9 routers? The router is pulling a DHCPv6 address and then distributing out slaac addresses to the network as I expected, but I can't ping anything in ipv6 outside the lan. It's like the default route doesn't exist or something, but there is no way to see an ipv6 routing table on the device. I have an asus router at home that uses the same config but it has no problems.

dhcpv6 is a hosed up mess and the actual useful v6 autoconfig protocols (rd, nd) were not well supported in linux until like five minutes ago

try updating the firmware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I had an eventful Thursday night when I found out my only computer with a GPU had a conflicting linux kernel and nvidia driver version.

Well to be accurate, I had an eventful Thursday night when I found out that the nvidia drivers weren't loading. Hours later when I found out the source of the issue it was just a sleepy, annoyed night.