Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Episode fuckin owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
yes the episode was great and all but can we get more jabami yumeko

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Lt. Lizard posted:

This anime continues to weirdly fumble its story beats, but it also continues to have cool fights, great character moments and godly animations that makes me not care about its faults.

Basically.

Nanigans posted:

Anything else by Ufotable I should check out? Preferably something on one of the major streaming platforms. I have Crunchyroll, Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

Fate/Zero, Unlimited Blade Works, the Kara no Kyoukai films. The Fate Heaven's Feel film trilogy is also excellent - Part 1 BDs are out in the wild, Part 2 BDs release later this month, and Part 3 gets its international theatrical release ~June next year.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nanigans posted:

Anything else by Ufotable I should check out? Preferably something on one of the major streaming platforms. I have Crunchyroll, Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

Tales of Zesteria X based off ToZ game had nice animation even if the story went nowhere.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Part of the problem is that there is no narrator, where the manga has a ton of narration explaining anything important.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Honestly episode was great and didn't need any sort of narration. In fact you could probably have cut out quite a bit of Tanjiro's explanation and everything still would have been perfectly understandable.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Terrible Opinions posted:

Honestly episode was great and didn't need any sort of narration. In fact you could probably have cut out quite a bit of Tanjiro's explanation and everything still would have been perfectly understandable.
It was a great episode but I have no idea how they plan on adapting some parts of this if they do more seasons if they just adamantly refuse to have a narrator.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I rewatched the last ten minutes of this episode and I can confirm it's still insanely good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

It was a great episode but I have no idea how they plan on adapting some parts of this if they do more seasons if they just adamantly refuse to have a narrator.

idk what part you mean tbh but not having heavy narration now doesn't mean they can't do it later. like how hxh turned into a narrated slideshow in the chimera ant arc

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, I remember hearing a lot of people tout the Chimera Ant arc as the greatest in all shonen history. And while there were definitely some amazing moments, I think overall it fell flat for me. It’s been about a year since I watched it and it just sucked any desire I had to continue the series.

Anyway! Being a manga reader helps with not necessarily requiring a narrator for me. I didn’t give the scene a second thought. My partner watched it with me and while she loved it, she told me later that she would have appreciated more time showing Tanjiro practicing the fire god dance while training with Urokodaki, or any kind of lead up.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Fabricated posted:

They already started. The flashback thing was narration and in this case they had butterfly girl expand on it, its actually executed better without it. The emphasis on the blood on the sword igniting was pointed out by the narrator, its not really needed when its animated.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Nanigans posted:

Yeah, I remember hearing a lot of people tout the Chimera Ant arc as the greatest in all shonen history. And while there were definitely some amazing moments, I think overall it fell flat for me. It’s been about a year since I watched it and it just sucked any desire I had to continue the series.

Anyway! Being a manga reader helps with not necessarily requiring a narrator for me. I didn’t give the scene a second thought. My partner watched it with me and while she loved it, she told me later that she would have appreciated more time showing Tanjiro practicing the fire god dance while training with Urokodaki, or any kind of lead up.

I didn't enjoy Chimera Arc much either; I had heard that Yorknew City arc was pretty bad. To me, that's the best HunterXHunter arc, and I always revisit it. Narrators, when appropriately used, are very cool.

They fit some stories better than others. A dense rule-based shounen like HxH is good for it. Quentin Tarantino comes to mind due to having just watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, that story made good use of a narrator.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JackDarko posted:

I had heard that Yorknew City arc was pretty bad.

Who told you that, Yorknew has always been seen as a great arc.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The end of the Chimera Ants arc is what makes it tbh

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

The end of the Chimera Ants arc is what makes it tbh

"Hai, hai." :qq:

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

MonsterEnvy posted:

Who told you that, Yorknew has always been seen as a great arc.

I have lovely friends, or they knew that if you hype something up as great, it inevitably disappoints the person if their expectations were too high.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

JackDarko posted:

I have lovely friends, or they knew that if you hype something up as great, it inevitably disappoints the person if their expectations were too high.
that's the "new hxh reader" experience because its interminable hiatuses have given it this weird, fake mythical sheen

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I like the constant escalation in this series, without any build-up. It reminds of me Gurren Lagann. It's almost like an abridged version of other shounen shows. We get to see these amazing moments far more frequently (cough ONE PIECE cough).

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think I would argue that's why this show misses with me more than it does for other people. It feels like someone is doing a speedrun of a shounen story, but hitting Skip Cutscene where downtime would usually be to get me really connected and engrossed. One Piece may be long, but when it's hitting, it's loving hitting and blasting me rear end over teakettle and stays with me. Here, it looks and sounds cool as poo poo, but it doesn't continue to resonate with me when I'm not watching.

So I guess I wish there was buildup

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The show is definitely all thriller, no filler. A lot of the characterization and aspects that endear you to the characters happens mid battle, or in a flash back mid-battle.

That said, (mild and vague spoilers) there will be a pretty good breather coming up while the main cast recuperates from this battle that will be nothing but cute, endearing moments.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Like the show could use more breather non-combat bits, but dragging out the fights would only harm it. I mean that's what made the animated version of Chimera Ant just miserable..

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dipwood posted:

I like the constant escalation in this series, without any build-up. It reminds of me Gurren Lagann. It's almost like an abridged version of other shounen shows. We get to see these amazing moments far more frequently (cough ONE PIECE cough).

if we're comparing animes, one piece is a little unfair since it never has breaks. they're actively trying to stretch it out as long as possible

demon slayer actually does have a fair bit of filler that slows the pacing down but it's benign compared to something like one piece or dragon ball. like the scene where tanjirou spends the day searching for the demon that was stealing girls? yea that's filler. the manga just fades to black after he talks to the guy whose girlfriend was taken and goes right to night time

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
that episode was freaking amazing

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

so loving weird watching an anime with a budget

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
hi i just caught up, what the gently caress is this show and why is it so good

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Hace posted:

hi i just caught up, what the gently caress is this show and why is it so good

It's a taisho era low fantasy Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Battle Tendency but with hamon that makes swords maybe have elemental magic (but maybe that's just stylistic art direction). It's good because the character writing is good (Inosuke is an rear end and should be intolerable but instead he's great, and Zenitsu should be intolerable for a myriad of reasons but is also great), and the visuals and sound are at a level far beyond anything else currently airing, which is crazy since we have both Fire Force and Vinland Saga airing which both look and sound excellent.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/onegingek/status/1162254861536116741

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

frajaq posted:

so loving weird watching an anime with a budget

KNY has roughly the same budget as any other anime (except special cases like Rage of Bahamut, where they actually did throw money at the production). It's just that the staff are really good at their jobs, and maybe had a somewhat more generous/well-structured production schedule than is usual.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Using CGI to fill out the scenes that need less detail probably helps too.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Is no one talking about how good of a boy Zenitsu is and how he can literally summon thunder?
(Probably not, but still)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Darth Walrus posted:

KNY has roughly the same budget as any other anime (except special cases like Rage of Bahamut, where they actually did throw money at the production). It's just that the staff are really good at their jobs, and maybe had a somewhat more generous/well-structured production schedule than is usual.
all the tax fraud made ufotable really powerful

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Expect My Mom posted:

all the tax fraud made ufotable really powerful
lol

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Is no one talking about how good of a boy Zenitsu is and how he can literally summon thunder?
(Probably not, but still)
the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was making me like zenitsu and episode 17 did it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

don't worry comedy zenitsu will replace serious zenitsu for a while and you'll all find him insufferable again

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Using CGI to fill out the scenes that need less detail probably helps too.

Yeah, the thing that really sets ufotable apart is when to use 3d models. A lot of scenes in the last episode would take significantly more to animate if they hadnt used CGI and that leads to good animators having more time to work on pretty key frames down the line.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah it's very rarely a failing of budget that makes an anime look bad. Instead they look bad due to either bad direction or abusing the workers. Animators in Japan need a union but aren't likely to get one anytime soon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Next episode is gonna be great, I dunno if they'll get to one of my favorite parts of the manga in it but it's either this coming episode or the next one.

The stuff that's definitely in the next episode is good though too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

i love shinobu and kinda sad the entire series will be ending soon.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wonder if insect breathing means she breathes through her skin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I guess they're solving the no narrator problem with filler material that negates the need for one. Makes sense I guess?