Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah the system works on priority and will pair people up moving down the list. Byleth is totally exempt from the system too because they only get paired endings through the choice at the end of the game, it'll just skip them completely when the paired endings are assigned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Andrast posted:

I don't think having Byleth high in someones support list (or having someone high in Byleth's support list) affects their paired endings. It just skips over Byleth and goes to the next one.

That's strange then because for me my Edel had me first and Ferd second but it definitely just gave her nothing. And him too, where she was third in his list he had nothing because his second person (bernadetta) had a pair with Hubert and his first was me.
And I picked Leonie.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I think characters who gain support points later on displace those who get to B or A rank first

Like for me Byleth was Lysithea’s closest ally up until the last few chapters when he got displaced by Claude and Ignatz

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
In Lorenz's paralogue, Land of the Golden Deer, I need to defeat the enemy commander or survive for 12 rounds. However, after my third round I fail the mission because the commander abruptly runs away, I think? Do I need to reach him immediately?

Edit:. I must have moved out of the defended location! I forgot about that condition.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 16, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is this a YouTube genre now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If anything it'd make more sense for most characters you recruit from other houses to leave. Why would Ashe stick with the Deer rather than head back to his home?

It's only weird (and it is rather weird) because of how it diverts from how every other character is treated. From an in-story perspective I think it makes perfect sense for Ashe not to be around. Same with Lorenz on Blions route.

They do a pretty good job of justifying it when characters show back up in part 2.

For example, for many of the Lions, if you're on the Golden Deer path, they pretty much believe that Dimitri is dead and the Kingdom is all but finished. They did go back to the Kingdom in your absence, but once they hear that you're back and teamed up with the Knights of Seiros to fight the Empire they come join up. They'd rather fight the Empire than do nothing. They're as surprised as anyone when Dimitri shows up alive at Gronder Field. I'd assume it's similar for the Church route.

On Edelgard's route, it's a bit of a bigger stretch for some characters, but in some cases (like Ingrid) they feel like they've gone too far to turn back now.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Harrow posted:

They do a pretty good job of justifying it when characters show back up in part 2.

For example, for many of the Lions, if you're on the Golden Deer path, they pretty much believe that Dimitri is dead and the Kingdom is all but finished. They did go back to the Kingdom in your absence, but once they hear that you're back and teamed up with the Knights of Seiros to fight the Empire they come join up. They'd rather fight the Empire than do nothing. They're as surprised as anyone when Dimitri shows up alive at Gronder Field. I'd assume it's similar for the Church route.

To build on this, in the post-timeskip narration, it’s explained that the Fraldarius and Galatea houses, in the east of the old kingdom, are the last standing anti-imperial strongholds; you’d figure that they’d be relatively cool with Felix and Ingrid leaving to take the fight to imperial territory. I’d imagine the same would be true for Sylvain

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Finally got someone in an opposing house to a B support (Petra) but I suppose I still need to upgrade my piss Riding skills a bit before she joins, since I assume B is the highest support possible + highest that will help me. How much does a B support lower the rest of the Skill requirements?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Harrow posted:

On Edelgard's route, it's a bit of a bigger stretch for some characters, but in some cases (like Ingrid) they feel like they've gone too far to turn back now.

You'd note that A lot of the characters in Edelgard's routes have been disowned. It's very much not a stretch that they wouldn't go back home under the circumstances.

DLC Inc posted:

Finally got someone in an opposing house to a B support (Petra) but I suppose I still need to upgrade my piss Riding skills a bit before she joins, since I assume B is the highest support possible + highest that will help me. How much does a B support lower the rest of the Skill requirements?

You need D I think. However, there will be a chance at each class session for her to pop in and ask to come regardless (save scumming works).

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Hurray I beat the optional boss in chapter 4! Bumped it down to normal to do it but who cares!

Had a pretty hilarious moment when Death Knight went over to swat Mercedes and she just goes "oh nooooo how scawy, pwease go easy on me" and I almost died laughing

Also I severely underestimated how easy it would be to recruit in ng+. All my old classmates jump aboard almost immediately which means i'm getting at least 1 each chapter. Spending the rest of my time buttering up the third class and i've already nabbed 2 of them by chapter 5.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Had a pretty hilarious moment when Death Knight went over to swat Mercedes and she just goes "oh nooooo how scawy, pwease go easy on me" and I almost died laughing

Oh hell I had no idea that happens, that's really interesting! I've always just oneshot him so he's never attacked anyone to let me see stuff, I wonder what happens if she beats him herself?

And I asked this before but the thread was busier - does anyone know where Duscur actually is?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Harrow posted:

Ingrid also has a believable grievance against (Edelgard's route) the crest system, given how much it dominates her life and forces her family to use her as a political tool.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

DLC Inc posted:

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/recruitment/

It seems like we finally have hard numbers on recruitment requirements and how much supports mitigate them.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So I'm almost done my Golden Deer run, should I try Blue Lions, which has most of the students I did not recruit, or jump straight into the fourth route?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Scrap Dragon posted:

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/recruitment/

It seems like we finally have hard numbers on recruitment requirements and how much supports mitigate them.

"Stat boosts from particular classes don't count" is weird, I thought those boosts were permanent? Seems weird to discount them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yeah they do a decent enough job of it. I feel a few of the justifications are pretty shallow, but as the recruitable characters are all optional so I don't really need much from them. Though, a lot of characters in this game have some pretty big familial obligations and otherwise, and a lot of their supports go into this so I do find it funny when timseskip happens and a lot of characters are like "Hey professor! Things got really crazy the past couple of years but now i'm really happy to be working with you again.".

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Taear posted:

"Stat boosts from particular classes don't count" is weird, I thought those boosts were permanent? Seems weird to discount them.

You get bonuses/penalties from being in a class in addition to the base stat bonuses you get.

Like, for instance Assassin will drag a character's speed up to 14 if its below that. But it also applies a 5 bonus to speed while in the Assassin class so the character with 14 speed will have 19 speed as an Assassin. If they then change to Fortress Knight with its inherent -6 speed penalty they'll only have 8 speed.

The only classes with no bonuses or penalties to any stat are commoner and noble, so you can use those to see what your characters base stats are.

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 16, 2019

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Andrast posted:

Ferdie is fine with it. See his A-support with Edelgard

Thing was I only got them to A post timeskip, It seems like that convo kinda should have been a non-support conversation since it's kinda needed for him staying around to make sense. Same about when Edelgard reveals her second crest, that seems way to important to be an optional support, though I at least got that on pre-timeskip.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

galagazombie posted:

Thing was I only got them to A post timeskip, It seems like that convo kinda should have been a non-support conversation since it's kinda needed for him staying around to make sense. Same about when Edelgard reveals her second crest, that seems way to important to be an optional support, though I at least got that on pre-timeskip.

While I do agree things like this should be a bit more "out there" there's loving LOADS of important stuff hidden in support conversations, it's just how the game is.

Zore posted:

Like, for instance Assassin will drag a character's speed up to 14 if its below that. But it also applies a 5 bonus to speed while in the Assassin class so the character with 14 speed will have 19 speed as an Assassin. If they then change to Fortress Knight with its inherent -6 speed penalty they'll only have 8 speed.

I had no idea, that's really strange.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

galagazombie posted:

That Edelgard support with Byleth is needed to able to choose the Edelgard path in the first place

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
This game is so goddamn boring! Now they've got me running around picking up "dropped" items and returning them to their owners. I've also been engaged in such exciting activities as: fishing, giving advice, planting a garden, attending seminars (my favorite thing to do), and eating lunch. Why would anyone make this? Why is every game now structured as a bloated, time-wasting second job?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Taear posted:

While I do agree things like this should be a bit more "out there" there's loving LOADS of important stuff hidden in support conversations, it's just how the game is.

Edelgard Hanneman A support is a prime example of this honestly since it goes into Hanneman's background a lot

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Woozy posted:

This game is so goddamn boring! Now they've got me running around picking up "dropped" items and returning them to their owners. I've also been engaged in such exciting activities as: fishing, giving advice, planting a garden, attending seminars (my favorite thing to do), and eating lunch. Why would anyone make this? Why is every game now structured as a bloated, time-wasting second job?

Don't do it then

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Fishing owns. Add fishing to a game and I will buy it day one. More games should have fishing imo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Fishing owns. Add fishing to a game and I will buy it day one. More games should have fishing imo.

Literally every game should have a fishing minigame.

including fishing games

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tony Hawk's Pro Fisher

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

boredsatellite posted:

Edelgard Hanneman A support is a prime example of this honestly since it goes into Hanneman's background a lot

Alois and Byleth's B support for me is a REALLY important one, the info there really should have been elsewhere too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Woozy posted:

So don't. Fishing and finding lost items are totally optional. Don't do them if they bore you. Spend your Sundays battling or doing seminars if you want to increase skills without spending much time exploring.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm having a weird issue on my Blue Lions run where I feel like making any of my units my Dancer would be a waste. I recruited Dorothea but her spell list is so good she's gotta be a Gremory. I could use Flayn but she was my Dancer last run and I want to do something different. Most of my physical characters are turning out good enough that I want them to spend their turns hitting things instead of dancing.

Maybe Sylvain? He's my only cavalry dude but he's also turning out the least excellent of my physical characters and he's kind of being carried by his relic lance. Tough choice.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm having a weird issue on my Blue Lions run where I feel like making any of my units my Dancer would be a waste. I recruited Dorothea but her spell list is so good she's gotta be a Gremory. I could use Flayn but she was my Dancer last run and I want to do something different. Most of my physical characters are turning out good enough that I want them to spend their turns hitting things instead of dancing.

Maybe Sylvain? He's my only cavalry dude but he's also turning out the least excellent of my physical characters and he's kind of being carried by his relic lance. Tough choice.

An unit that can dance in addition to what they normally can do is automatically better than an unit who can't.

Like, your second best unit giving an another turn to your best unit is is still a net improvement

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 16, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh wait, I was planning to recruit Marianne just to see her supports with Dimitri but I don't need another powerhouse healer so maybe she'll be my Dancer. Bonus: she'll get that sweet bonus avoid while using her kick-rear end relic sword.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Taear posted:

Alois and Byleth's B support for me is a REALLY important one, the info there really should have been elsewhere too.

Having forgotten to recruit him in my BE run I was really taken aback at that information only being in that one

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Andrast posted:

Literally every game should have a fishing minigame.

including fishing games

This.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Do people regularly use their relic weapons? Because they require stuff that's hard to get hold of to repair them I find myself just never doing it, unless I've got a boss to kill.
It's a shame because they're cool but they just get benched for me.

Same goes for the fancy stuff you can make from Rusty Weapons because they need 10 mithril to fix let alone forge.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

Do people regularly use their relic weapons? Because they require stuff that's hard to get hold of to repair them I find myself just never doing it, unless I've got a boss to kill.

Same goes for the fancy stuff you can make from Rusty Weapons because they need 10 mithril to fix let alone forge.

Mostly when someone's normal weapon can't the job done against some threat.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I managed to hold off on using most of my relics until the big fights in chapter 17 and for Claude crit killing bosses with Failnaught but I did enough monster skirmishes that I had enough money and materials to repair everything in time for endgame

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Taear posted:

I had plenty of Umbral Steel towards the end of my Deer run so repairing relics wasn't an issue. I still didn't use them as a unit's primary weapon but they're helpful to just nuke a threatening target.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Taear posted:

And I asked this before but the thread was busier - does anyone know where Duscur actually is?

It's within Faerghus, in a peninsula to the north.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do I actually still need the minimums for people to randomly ask to join at B support or is it just whatever? I'm reading different things; I know that they will not join if I don't have the minimum if I ask, but now how people pop up to beg to join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Do I actually still need the minimums for people to randomly ask to join at B support or is it just whatever? I'm reading different things; I know that they will not join if I don't have the minimum if I ask, but now how people pop up to beg to join.

No the random asks ignore the requirements