Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
at lower level it seems like they aren't really gaining much? all your extra attacks burn a bonus action so the only real difference is doing it with reach and wisdom mod instead of dex. still gonna play a JoJo monk at the next available chance, lots of cool RP ideas there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That Barbarian is some hot garbage

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Splicer posted:

That Barbarian is some hot garbage

Seriously, gently caress random tables of hyper-variable bullshit forever.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Million Ghosts posted:

at lower level it seems like they aren't really gaining much? all your extra attacks burn a bonus action so the only real difference is doing it with reach and wisdom mod instead of dex. still gonna play a JoJo monk at the next available chance, lots of cool RP ideas there.

Edit: I can't read ignore me

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Here's some more reflavoring option for that monk.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Best monk

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Maybe you could homebrew a feat so the Jojo Monk stand could separate as a remote stand?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe you could homebrew a feat so the Jojo Monk stand could separate as a remote stand?

It's kinda already baked in. Most melee stands only have a range of a couple meters and the arms have 10ft reach.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Arcane Rebuke reminds me a bit of Iron Heart Surge from the 3.5 Book of 9 Swords, in that it reveals how odd the game mechanics are built.

A creature forces you to make a saving throw, so it takes damage. Easy right? A guy casts Charm Person, you get to zap him. Couldn't be simpler.

Except that it somehow works against people who cast Evard's Black Tentacles, but not against an actual tentacled monster trying to grapple you. It retaliates against Fireball, but not against Magic Missile or Scorching Ray. Earthquake spell knocks over a building with you nearby? You get to damage the caster. Somehow. Because your fey magic can track down a falling building's causal chain all the way back to shaking ground which is caused by magic, I guess. Did you influence the weather? Better hope some Barbarian isn't within a couple of miles or he can zap you if you made things a bit too chilly. Cast Gust of Wind and the Barbarian can calmly walk in place, killing you. If I get into a Reverse Gravity, nothing special happens... except if I try to grab an object to avoid falling upwards. Then, and only then, does the wizard get zapped. (Although, if I'm the one who chooses whether to grab something when falling, aren't I really the one who causes the saving throw?)

Hey, if I push someone into a pit with spikes at the bottom, do I get zapped if the spikes are coated with poison? I mean I caused him to roll a save, didn't I? But then if the spikes were free of poison it wouldn't work?

I know I'm looking for silly corner case scenarios on purpose here, but the ability is unnecessarily vague.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sage Genesis posted:

Arcane Rebuke reminds me a bit of Iron Heart Surge from the 3.5 Book of 9 Swords, in that it reveals how odd the game mechanics are built.

A creature forces you to make a saving throw, so it takes damage. Easy right? A guy casts Charm Person, you get to zap him. Couldn't be simpler.

Except that it somehow works against people who cast Evard's Black Tentacles, but not against an actual tentacled monster trying to grapple you. It retaliates against Fireball, but not against Magic Missile or Scorching Ray. Earthquake spell knocks over a building with you nearby? You get to damage the caster. Somehow. Because your fey magic can track down a falling building's causal chain all the way back to shaking ground which is caused by magic, I guess. Did you influence the weather? Better hope some Barbarian isn't within a couple of miles or he can zap you if you made things a bit too chilly. Cast Gust of Wind and the Barbarian can calmly walk in place, killing you. If I get into a Reverse Gravity, nothing special happens... except if I try to grab an object to avoid falling upwards. Then, and only then, does the wizard get zapped. (Although, if I'm the one who chooses whether to grab something when falling, aren't I really the one who causes the saving throw?)

Hey, if I push someone into a pit with spikes at the bottom, do I get zapped if the spikes are coated with poison? I mean I caused him to roll a save, didn't I? But then if the spikes were free of poison it wouldn't work?

I know I'm looking for silly corner case scenarios on purpose here, but the ability is unnecessarily vague.

My god this would be a great ability for a tort lawyer wizard.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

Rage after you close in, I guess.
Nothing says rampaging berserker like running up to a guy before you get angry.

Also lol I rolled the teleport one and now I'm 20 feet from all the monsters and out of movement. Maybe that's why I'm angry.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also it's supposed to be a Wild Surge not everything is supposed to benefit you.
Uuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sage Genesis posted:

It seems mechanically clear but narratively capricious with cause and effect that often defies common sense. I grant it Splicer's Fairy Bullshit Seal of Approval. 100% serious.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The only thing I'll give the new Barbarian path is that it at least seems like less of a mess than the Wild Mage Sorcerer.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I think the teleport one is meant to be a place you choose, possibly. Also, the wording for the plant one suggests it moves with you. As it says the ground within 10 feet of -you-, which is a point that can move.

All the others are, generally, 100% a benefit to a barbarian that wades into the middle of the fray.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Arthil posted:

I think the teleport one is meant to be a place you choose, possibly. Also, the wording for the plant one suggests it moves with you. As it says the ground within 10 feet of -you-, which is a point that can move.

All the others are, generally, 100% a benefit to a barbarian that wades into the middle of the fray.

Yeah you're not traversing the difficult terrain but moving it along with you

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Million Ghosts posted:

Lower levels yeah it's not that much, but at 17th you can attack six times in one round with your ghost arms (three from astral barrage as your attack action and then another three from your bonus action) and then add your martial arts die to one of those attacks as well, that's pretty cool. They don't appear to actually specify how much damage the arms do, however, so I guess you just HAVE to substitute your martial arts die for its damage since it's a monk weapon.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Unearthed Arcana Barbarian posted:

You teleport up to 20 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. Until your rage ends, you can activate this effect again on each of your turns as a bonus action.

Yeah those two bits tend to mean you're choosing your destination to be literally anywhere you see within 20 feet of you. You're blinking to the enemy, or behind them, or next to them.

Unearthed Arcana Barbarian posted:

Plant life temporarily grows around you: until your rage ends, the ground within 10 feet of you is difficult terrain.

While I understand the vagueness of this one, I'm also of the mind it means the ground around you moves with you.

I know y'all have been burned before but you're kinda being downer shits on this randomized table of benefits.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

change my name posted:

Yeah you're not traversing the difficult terrain but moving it along with you

that's also how i would read it as intended but it would not be hard for a dickhead DM to say RAW you're always slogging through vines and mud

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's really vague but I would have interpreted it as the stuff sprouting up around you as you walk, and remaining even when you move further away. Mainly because plants don't really move and presumably they stay behind until your rage end.

But keeping track of that would be annoying and it would be the odd one out among the wild surges as far as hindering you (unless you get caught in a flumphsplosion I guess) so I'd probably just run it as an aura of difficult terrain that moves with you and doesn't hinder you. Like maybe the plants recede as you step toward them and wilt when you move away.

poo poo like this is definitely a honeypot for rear end in a top hat DMs though

edit: I'm just struck by how bad the D&D team is at game design though, like I knew getting into it that D&D 5E was poor from the getgo but even if they set out to do a 5.5E I don't think they have the skill to fix it even if you could theoretically hammer this nugget of poo poo into something good

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 17, 2019

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Where has this "DND 5E is actually poo poo" stuff come from over the last year? Its by no means a perfect system but it is still very flexible and compared to other gaming systems is a breeze to learn.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Nutsngum posted:

Where has this "DND 5E is actually poo poo" stuff come from over the last year? Its by no means a perfect system but it is still very flexible and compared to other gaming systems is a breeze to learn.

Last year? It's been around since the game was still called D&D Next.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

The barbarian who is allergic to magic and keeps making fairy bullshit happen when he gets angry looks like a lot of fun to play, just imo

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nutsngum posted:

I was harsher than I meant to be because I guess I couldn't resist hyperbole but I'll clarify my thoughts a bit.

I think the core rules are more or less fine and I appreciate how fast and light it is to play. If there was a well-considered 5.5E I would mostly just want them to clarify a few things, rename "bonus actions" to "minor actions" or "special actions" or something (instead of getting rid of them, as they expressed regret over them essentially because they got confused by their own bad name) and presenting gridded combat as an equal option to theatre of the mind instead of a scattered hodgepodge of optional rules (when the game seems actually designed around grids to begin with!)

My main complaints are really more with the content rather than the rules. The class design is a mess with a bunch of lovely trap options, and I've actually seen the enthusiasm drain from players' faces when they realize they don't get to do anything cool as certain classes as compared to others at the same table. Also, the core monster manual is pretty boring statswise where for all the numbers they give you most monsters could be summarized in actual play as HP/AC/Melee attack/ranged attack (if applicable)/multiattack (if applicable.) That said, many of the Volo's and Mordenkainen's monsters are a lot more fun and interesting, showing that it actually is possible to do better in that regard.

I can deal with the boring monsters, I just make my own or adjust the existing ones, but fixing the player options isn't something I think the current team can do since I'm not sure they really understand their own game as judging from things they've said, rulings they've made, and the UA content. I have fun playing, but people will surely note that with RPGs that's not a high bar to clear; although, I do think they got a bunch of things right with the core of the system

edit: not to say I'm the one suited to fixing it, I'm not, but I can tell when something feels bad

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 17, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nutsngum posted:

and compared to other gaming systems is a breeze to learn.
I'd put the D&D/pathfinder milieu firmly at the opaque end of the spectrum (excluding obvious outliers like FATAL)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, D&D is easy if you grew up with it culturally ingrained - I more or less understood the basics of character generation and mechanics of play well before I ever played, thanks to webcomics and TV - but if you're a complete novice it's a wildly opaque system, and even if you know what you're doing, character generation is a nightmare without some sort of digital assistance.

Simple games are things like Powered byt eh Apocalypse systems, or Fiasco, things where you can make a character more or less in play, and where the game is largely descriptive in nature.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Nutsngum posted:

it is still very flexible and compared to other gaming systems is a breeze to learn

Wrong on both counts.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nutsngum posted:

very flexible and compared to other gaming systems is a breeze to learn.

You're gonna have to say what the hell these other gaming systems are that you're comparing it to.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

bewilderment posted:

You're gonna have to say what the hell these other gaming systems are that you're comparing it to.

Pathfinder is one. It only took me about half an hour in 5E getting character creation down and the rest is hardly difficult to learn.

BattleMaster posted:

I was harsher than I meant to be because I guess I couldn't resist hyperbole but I'll clarify my thoughts a bit.

I think the core rules are more or less fine and I appreciate how fast and light it is to play. If there was a well-considered 5.5E I would mostly just want them to clarify a few things, rename "bonus actions" to "minor actions" or "special actions" or something (instead of getting rid of them, as they expressed regret over them essentially because they got confused by their own bad name) and presenting gridded combat as an equal option to theatre of the mind instead of a scattered hodgepodge of optional rules (when the game seems actually designed around grids to begin with!)

My main complaints are really more with the content rather than the rules. The class design is a mess with a bunch of lovely trap options, and I've actually seen the enthusiasm drain from players' faces when they realize they don't get to do anything cool as certain classes as compared to others at the same table. Also, the core monster manual is pretty boring statswise where for all the numbers they give you most monsters could be summarized in actual play as HP/AC/Melee attack/ranged attack (if applicable)/multiattack (if applicable.) That said, many of the Volo's and Mordenkainen's monsters are a lot more fun and interesting, showing that it actually is possible to do better in that regard.

I can deal with the boring monsters, I just make my own or adjust the existing ones, but fixing the player options isn't something I think the current team can do since I'm not sure they really understand their own game as judging from things they've said, rulings they've made, and the UA content. I have fun playing, but people will surely note that with RPGs that's not a high bar to clear; although, I do think they got a bunch of things right with the core of the system

edit: not to say I'm the one suited to fixing it, I'm not, but I can tell when something feels bad
Not really familiar myself on the monsters but I'd agree on the classes for sure. There really does seem to be a few problems, particularly the martials.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Our level-6 group scraped by an encounter by the skin of our teeth yesterday. After killing a necromancer, we took their evil, sentient artifact and were wrapping up the rest of their home (a sprawling canyon-and-caves system, full of undead of course). Being a necromancer, naturally she wasn't dead, and in the middle of a mook fight, she came back as a wraith to beat the poo poo out of us some more, sporting a nasty melee attack that reduced max HP if you failed a save, which we kept doing. We were pretty worn down by the time she died again; the monk expended all of his ki points, the cleric used his Channel Divinity, and everyone with spell slots was around half-empty.

So it was a bit of a shock when, as the wraith re-died, the voice of the crown that'd been whispering at us came back to, er, life, as a high-level necromancer. He summoned up a bunch of undead, sprayed us with webs, Dimension Doored onto the roof of a nearby building after we beat on his AC-10 wizard rear end a bit, and then unleashed Circle of Death. Circle of Death, if you aren't aware, is basically Necromancer Fireball, dealing 8d6 necrotic damage or half if you save, to everything within a 60-foot radius sphere of the target. It hit our entire party. The monk started dying. The wizard started dying. The rogue, cleric, and bard were still up, but at single-digit HP and the cleric and bard were both still webbed. The thin silver lining was that the summoned undead were also blasted and promptly went back where they came from.

Our DM at this point noted three important points. One, holy poo poo, Circle of Death gains 2d6 damage per level when cast with higher-level slots. Two: hey guys, he can cast Circle of Death again and deal even more damage. Three: he doesn't have many HP left.

The rogue, the only one not webbed, activated his Cloak of the Bat and flew up to stab the necromancer. He couldn't sneak attack, but crucially this was the attack that finally ruined the necromancer's concentration, causing the webs to disappear. This let the bard move to a spot where she could see the boss and hit him with a boosted Shatter spell...which also started the rogue on dying, but it's not like he'd've lasted long either way. Alas, the necromancer was still on his feet. It was the cleric's turn, and the DM outright told him "Either you kill the boss, or he's going to kill you, and probably everyone else." He lined up a shot with Sacred Flame, it hit, he rolled 18 damage...and the DM revealed that he needed 16 to win.

I guess now I can say that we've come within one turn of a total party wipe, so I have that going for me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nutsngum posted:

Pathfinder is one. It only took me about half an hour in 5E getting character creation down and the rest is hardly difficult to learn.
This is like saying pink lady apples are one of the orangiest foods because they're orangier than granny smiths.

e: also you'd already learned how to play pathfinder, and there's a lot of crossover

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 17, 2019

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
5e character creation is so easy with dndbeyond, it's basically 5 clicks

Who here's tried to untangle the mess that was pathfinder 2 char creation? and that was specifically made easier than pathfinder 1

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Who here's tried to untangle the mess that was pathfinder 2 char creation? and that was specifically made easier than pathfinder 1

Unless they made it ridiculously hard since the playtest, it's just your ABCs and works stupidly well.

The thing that throws people off about Pathfinder 2e is that it starts off from base principles and reworks everything from there. If you come in with a bunch of assumptions and just skim, you find the system is fighting you because it's not working in the ways you expect. On the other hand, if you listen to it and work with it, it's great.

Meanwhile, 5e just lets your assumptions glide by because there's absolutely nothing else there at all.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bhodi posted:

D&D chargen is just as awkward without the digital tools though.

God PF2 playtest chargen was annoying, I literally made like half a dozen copies of the PDF just so I could have multiple pages open at the same time.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Bhodi posted:

Pathfinder 2 is just as fast to make a character in if you also use a character builder.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Bogan Krkic posted:

The barbarian who is allergic to magic and keeps making fairy bullshit happen when he gets angry looks like a lot of fun to play, just imo

if he's allergic to magic they probably shouldn't have made him every caster's best friend and rechargeable battery, imho.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bhodi posted:

but how long does it take for you to learn how to accurately implement a particular character concept? If you know what you want your character to do, how long does it take you to learn how to make that guy, or at least find out he's not possible? And to learn how to make him on par with the other party members? e: or at least succeed regularly at stuff you want to be good at?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 17, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bhodi posted:

PF2 is relatively simple now. Look up the twitch video of the GenCon panel where they walk a room through it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, D&D is easy if you grew up with it culturally ingrained - I more or less understood the basics of character generation and mechanics of play well before I ever played, thanks to webcomics and TV - but if you're a complete novice it's a wildly opaque system, and even if you know what you're doing, character generation is a nightmare without some sort of digital assistance.

Simple games are things like Powered byt eh Apocalypse systems, or Fiasco, things where you can make a character more or less in play, and where the game is largely descriptive in nature.

PBTA are simple I guess but require a completely different mindset that I just can’t wrap my head around. Probably because I grew up on 3.5.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

D&D has tons of rules but it's conceptually straightforward. You want to do a thing? Tell the DM, get an instruction to roll something, probably, and add numbers. Sure there's a million fiddly bits and rules to learn but it doesn't interfere with the simplicity of "I want to shoot it with my bow" and rolling.

My every attempt at a PBTA game has been like "is .... is this one of my moves? Does this count or do I have to like REALLY do thing for it to count as a move?" Some people will find its rules-light way of doing things a ton easier, but I don't think it's universal at all.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Toshimo posted:

PF2 is relatively simple now. Look up the twitch video of the GenCon panel where they walk a room through it.

Is there any indication that Paizo plans to strictly limit splatbooks that add bunches of new rules and systems? Because doing a system reset only helps briefly if your business model relies upon adding a bunch of extra rules, especially if the main selling point is that buying the new book will give you more uberoptions.

5E suffers some from clearly not being anywhere near a priority for Hasbro (or even Wizards), but the slow release schedule and the focus on adventures over new rules has at least kept the system from too many broken additions. (UA materials like the ones just discussed in the thread provide extra relief that they aren't because clearly they have some issues designing stuff for their own system. Then again, Paizo has suffered from the same problem.)

Is there a genuinely simple, non-crunchy RPG system that has anywhere close to the market penetration of D&D or Pathfinder? The FATE system is the only one I've encountered; a lot of the storytelling RPGs are very different in design and intent, while a game like Dungeon World feels like a cut-down version of existing systems instead of its own animal. Fiasco and the other story games strike me as being different in the way that singing is different from opera. Given that the majority of RPG players I've known over the decades are more interested in combat than story, stripping away the stuff they want to simplify the rules really doesn't get the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I apologize if these are dumb questions: I'm very new (just played my first 3 sessions with a group in my area). How do I go about finding people to play with? I'm not sure how I feel about my current group and don't want that to detect from what seems like a really fun game.