Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Philthy posted:

The Drizzt novels are still amazing.

Paging A human heart to the thread

e: poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Started on The Luminous Dead and it's good so far (~15% in) but seriously gently caress the very concept of cave diving forever.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
The fact that people reminiscing about the state of mass market epic fantasy when they were teens and I'm wondering why no one has mentioned Magician to the point that I had to go and check the publication date... makes me feel pretty drat old.

In unrelated news I have started to reread Three Body Problem and I had forgotten how good it was. Will probably read the sequals this time. On my first read it was one of those books that I enjoyed so much, but couldn't see how a sequal could possibly add anything to the experience.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Groke posted:

Started on The Luminous Dead and it's good so far (~15% in) but seriously gently caress the very concept of cave diving forever.

Don't worry, you get to be horrified by underwater cave diving too!

Basically everything about caves is the worst and I am never ever ever going underground.

e: wait poo poo cave diving = underwater, frick. Either way it's awful!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yo, General Battuta -- I wanted to thank you for having a page on your site that indexes all your short stories (seriously, most authors don't do this or don't keep it at all up to date and it's super frustrating). I also wanted to ask -- is there an ebook that collects all of them in one place? If not, would you mind if I made one (out of all the freely available stories, anyways)?

Gravy Jones posted:

The fact that people reminiscing about the state of mass market epic fantasy when they were teens and I'm wondering why no one has mentioned Magician to the point that I had to go and check the publication date... makes me feel pretty drat old.

I read and enjoyed Magician and its sequels (and afterwards, Serpentwar, and whatever other Riftwar stuff I could find in the library, which wasn't much). By the time I read it it was already a decade old, though.

My first riftwar "book" was actually Betrayal at Krondor, the Dynamix game -- they released the floppy version for free to drum up interest for the not-a-sequel, Betrayal in Antara, and I got permission to leave the modem on overnight to download it. I was really bad at it -- I don't think I even completed the first chapter until I revisited it a few years later -- but I did really appreciate the overall atmosphere of the game and the amount of work they put into making it feel like you were "playing a book", and that got me interested enough to check out this "Riftwar" thing mentioned on the title screen.

Groke posted:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gravy Jones posted:

In unrelated news I have started to reread Three Body Problem and I had forgotten how good it was. Will probably read the sequals this time. On my first read it was one of those books that I enjoyed so much, but couldn't see how a sequal could possibly add anything to the experience.
The sequels are great even if they're kind of about totally different things and also have some weird misogynist undertones.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I put them in a metal tea ball strainer and boiled them for a bit until the whites stopped foaming off of them, then rinsed them off. I did crush them up but it probably wasn't necessary.

Can you reuse them, or is it 6 eggs worth of shells per cup?

I've never read the books, but I like making needlessly complicated food/drinks sometimes for fun.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Captain Monkey posted:

Can you reuse them, or is it 6 eggs worth of shells per cup?

I've never read the books, but I like making needlessly complicated food/drinks sometimes for fun.

You can reuse them short-term but you'd probably want to swap them out, if only because the vanilla bean would probably mold after a few days. The recipe makes one cup of coffee but it's *really* strong -- there's a reason they serve turkish coffee in tiny tiny cups -- and deceptively smooth for the strength.

I'm probably going to make klava again this weekend, it really is very tasty. My plan is to scale up and make a double or quadruple recipe using the same amount of wood chips / eggshells / vanilla bean and just let the shells and chips strain for longer.

And yeah it's just a fun project. The website I got the recipe from turns out to be a blog that tries to work out ways to cook various fantasy recipes from all sorts of fiction; they apparently sell a licensed Game of Thrones cookbook, etc. Probably a fun rabbithole to go down.

I've sometimes thought it might be fun one month to do a cookbook as Book of the Month but it'd be a matter of finding the right fun cookbook.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I've sometimes thought it might be fun one month to do a cookbook as Book of the Month but it'd be a matter of finding the right fun cookbook.

there's a series of historical mysteries by Jason Goodwin about an Ottoman detective named Yashim that has an associated cookbook "Yashim Cooks Istanbul" with recipes for all the stuff he cooks in the books (and there are a lot).

the books are whatever (well I only read the first one), decent story that's fun if you have interest in the Ottomans. the recipes are good as hell though. dunno of any other licensed fiction cookbooks.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well, Turkish food is awesome.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
There's a Nero Wolfe cookbook. I haven't tried much because I'm honestly not sure where to start with bone marrow dumplings or making my own sausage.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

my bony fealty posted:

there's a series of historical mysteries by Jason Goodwin about an Ottoman detective named Yashim that has an associated cookbook "Yashim Cooks Istanbul" with recipes for all the stuff he cooks in the books (and there are a lot).

the books are whatever (well I only read the first one), decent story that's fun if you have interest in the Ottomans. the recipes are good as hell though. dunno of any other licensed fiction cookbooks.

that sounds amazing

post about it in the mystery thread please! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876922

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ben Nevis posted:

There's a Nero Wolfe cookbook. I haven't tried much because I'm honestly not sure where to start with bone marrow dumplings or making my own sausage.

I bought a copy a few months ago. It's amazing but appears to assume several axioms such as "you have your own butcher" and "your private kitchen staff are all trained chefs"

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I bought a copy a few months ago. It's amazing but appears to assume several axioms such as "you have your own butcher" and "your private kitchen staff are all trained chefs"

At one point I was going to go through all the Robert B Parker Spencer novels and cook all the food that Spencer makes and maybe do a cookbook, but I’m lazy

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

You can reuse them short-term but you'd probably want to swap them out, if only because the vanilla bean would probably mold after a few days. The recipe makes one cup of coffee but it's *really* strong -- there's a reason they serve turkish coffee in tiny tiny cups -- and deceptively smooth for the strength.

I'm probably going to make klava again this weekend, it really is very tasty. My plan is to scale up and make a double or quadruple recipe using the same amount of wood chips / eggshells / vanilla bean and just let the shells and chips strain for longer.

And yeah it's just a fun project. The website I got the recipe from turns out to be a blog that tries to work out ways to cook various fantasy recipes from all sorts of fiction; they apparently sell a licensed Game of Thrones cookbook, etc. Probably a fun rabbithole to go down.

Neat! I’ll have to try it, I was more asking if I could make like 4 cups for a group of people with one set of shells, wood, and vanilla bean which it seems like I probably can! Might be a fun thing to do with leftover eggshells after making breakfast while camping.

The cookbook idea is cool, could do it GWS style and get people to post pictures when they make stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Trial by Fire by Charles Gannon, aka Caine Riordan #2: good book, absolutely gigantic scale plot with a lot of moving parts. I enjoyed reading how aliens severely underestimated humanity multiple times.

I did not enjoy the stupid death of one of the protagonists. Fortunately it was short and didn't get much focus, I guess.

I'm down to read book 3 and see where the plot's going - because honestly, it twists a lot more than I expected - but not yet. I've got Wheel of Time 2 to focus on, and Beholder's Eye, and and and....

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ToxicFrog posted:

Yo, General Battuta -- I wanted to thank you for having a page on your site that indexes all your short stories (seriously, most authors don't do this or don't keep it at all up to date and it's super frustrating). I also wanted to ask -- is there an ebook that collects all of them in one place? If not, would you mind if I made one (out of all the freely available stories, anyways)?

Hey, that's very kind of you (and I'm genuinely flattered anyone is reading my short fiction). Unfortunately it would probably violate various contractual terms about anthologizing and so forth. But, really, I am very grateful that you think it'd be worth the time and effort.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Hey, that's very kind of you (and I'm genuinely flattered anyone is reading my short fiction). Unfortunately it would probably violate various contractual terms about anthologizing and so forth. But, really, I am very grateful that you think it'd be worth the time and effort.

So, true story: a few days ago, on a (non-goon) discord¹ I'm on, a bunch of people were talking about Worldcon, and SFF more generally.

And the subject of your books came up, unprompted.² And people started talking about how much they liked your work and how much they were looking forward to Tyrant Baru. Honestly, they were all considerably more intense about it than I am; I enjoyed Traitor Baru, these people are planning collaborative fanart projects for it and poo poo.

What I'm getting at here is: you write good things that people enjoy, and when people ITT say they like your work they aren't just saying it because you read the thread, or because this thread is some delusional goon hugbox, utterly divorced from the opinions of the wider world.

¹ For fans of a completely different author, in fact.
² I think the preceding topic of conversation was Martha Wells, and how her protagonists, while fundamentally good people, tend to have trouble believing that anything they do is worthwhile, that anyone could genuinely like them or their works, or that the world might not be an endless field of hopeless bullshit, and how after reading one of her books you really just want to give everyone involved a hug and a fruit basket.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

branedotorg posted:

It is better now but prices, even on ebooks are still significantly higher than US/UK.
That's because the bits have so much further to travel.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

Surprisingly, Fallout: The Vault Dweller's Official Cookbook has solid recipes, apparently.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Barry Hughart, Bridge of Birds author, died :( looks to be just announced today?

https://locusmag.com/2019/08/barry-hughart-1924-2019/

I'll be rereading in his honor soon.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

I put them in a metal tea ball strainer and boiled them for a bit until the whites stopped foaming off of them, then rinsed them off. I did crush them up but it probably wasn't necessary.

Thank you kindly!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

Barry Hughart, Bridge of Birds author, died :( looks to be just announced today?

gently caress!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

my bony fealty posted:

goddammit =(

Now we'll never get the story of the great confrontation with the White Serpent in the Mysterious Mountain Cavern of Winds.

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

drat, I just bought The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox today. :(

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

thetedster posted:

drat, I just bought The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox today. :(
Enjoy, they are genuinely great books.

Now we'll never get the story of the great confrontation with the White Serpent in the Mysterious Mountain Cavern of Winds.
...Or the reason for all those other corpses sunk in the river near Master Li's place.

I mean, it is a shame and Bridge of Birds is one of my favorite books ever, but he did kind of run out of steam in book 3 and stopped writing afterwards. Still, the world is poorer for him.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 17, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

Enjoy, they are genuinely great books.
...Or the reason for all those other corpses sunk in the river near Master Li's place.

I mean, it is a shame and Bridge of Birds is one of my favorite books ever, but he did kind of run out of steam in book 3 and stopped writing afterwards. Still, the world is poorer for him.

The problem is, Bridge of Birds is too perfect, and you can't just write and sell the same book twice.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Amen. But still think there was a drop between Story of the Stone and Eight Skilled Gentleman.

Megafonzie
Oct 26, 2012

????????????
Well I canned The Reality Dysfunction after the MC banged a 16 year old girl and her mom on the same day. Luckily, a friend lent me his e-reader so now I can basically read whatever. He gave it to me with most of Alastair Reynolds' stuff on it, along with a bunch of other stuff, and I read Revelation Space in like four days. I really liked it a lot.

Now I'm not exactly sure what to move on to. I recently grabbed a copy of The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson at the bookstore, and I'm waiting for my copy of Ash: A Secret History to come in from England (I wanted the one-volume version). I had also heard from a friend that Semiosis by Sue Burke was very good. I expected to take longer on Revelation Space so that my copy of Ash would come in and then I could read that, but now I'm not sure what to pick.

Also, Way of Kings has something like a 4.65 on goodreads which is absurdly high.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Megafonzie posted:

Well I canned The Reality Dysfunction after the MC banged a 16 year old girl and her mom on the same day. Luckily, a friend lent me his e-reader so now I can basically read whatever. He gave it to me with most of Alastair Reynolds' stuff on it, along with a bunch of other stuff, and I read Revelation Space in like four days. I really liked it a lot.

Now I'm not exactly sure what to move on to. I recently grabbed a copy of The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson at the bookstore, and I'm waiting for my copy of Ash: A Secret History to come in from England (I wanted the one-volume version). I had also heard from a friend that Semiosis by Sue Burke was very good. I expected to take longer on Revelation Space so that my copy of Ash would come in and then I could read that, but now I'm not sure what to pick.

Also, Way of Kings has something like a 4.65 on goodreads which is absurdly high.

Way of Kings was just plain boring.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Today's list of Kindle Daily Deals contains a mixed bag of fantasy and sci fi, but one standout is The Monster Baru Comorant by General Battuta for $2.99.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Is that Inn At The Crossroads?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Re science fiction/fantasy cookbooks, there's a Sten one, and an Aubrey/Maturin one too.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I think the Aubrey/Maturin one wouldn't be a fantasy cookbook, but a historical one.

I know history is supposed to be another country, but it isn't a made up one... for the most part.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Aubrey/Maturin is very science fiction, it's got journeys on a ship, weird alien pets getting drunk, slash, it's even full of incomprehensible jargon you can either vaguely gather the meaning of or spend hours reading about on fansites.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Fair point.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Fart of Presto posted:

Today's list of Kindle Daily Deals contains a mixed bag of fantasy and sci fi, but one standout is The Monster Baru Comorant by General Battuta for $2.99.

buying Barus for all my pals

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Aubrey/Maturin is very science fiction, it's got journeys on a ship, weird alien pets getting drunk, slash, it's even full of incomprehensible jargon you can either vaguely gather the meaning of or spend hours reading about on fansites.

It's science fiction it's just it's all 18th century science.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

tooterfish posted:

I think the Aubrey/Maturin one wouldn't be a fantasy cookbook, but a historical one.

I know history is supposed to be another country, but it isn't a made up one... for the most part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnl-jOnoYgg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's science fiction it's just it's all 18th century science.

Clearly Aubrey-Maturin is a technothriller. its actually whatever genre Jane Austen is