Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

So deep striking turn 1 was a bad thing, so it got moved to turn 2.

Yet its ok for Space marines Invictor warsuits to have a mechanic which does just that.

Gw are back to being blatent about not caring about rules again.

loving space marine scouts breaking the game since day 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
To be fair, the infiltration mechanic has been there from the start, it's just that this is the first time it's on a unit that people care about from the damage output standpoint.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Ok.

So, what's the general player reaction to these changes?

Am I just being salty, or is fair to say this new codex really really breaks the rules?

Drop pods were useless, so giving them utility is good. Drop pod assault being turn one is fluffy and fun I think. I don't know what the walker turn one deep strike rule is, but it sounds like a stretch for sure.

The space marine codex was pretty poo poo due to being first, so I'd expect adjacent changes for other factions. I think the player reaction is the usual screeching from disgusting xenos and traitors. Space marine players are happy. Not just for the rules though, there's a lot of fluffy cool poo poo to enjoy on top of the army being competitive and interesting.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Drop pods were useless, so giving them utility is good. Drop pod assault being turn one is fluffy and fun I think. I don't know what the walker turn one deep strike rule is, but it sounds like a stretch for sure.

The space marine codex was pretty poo poo due to being first, so I'd expect adjacent changes for other factions. I think the player reaction is the usual screeching from disgusting xenos and traitors. Space marine players are happy. Not just for the rules though, there's a lot of fluffy cool poo poo to enjoy on top of the army being competitive and interesting.

Well ok, I suppose I'm just predisposed to be doom and glooming, just wanted to check how others felt.

I jusrand worry that Chaos is back to being the first codex again (Chaos 2.0 being before this type of rules update).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think every time a new codex hits theres concerns about it being horribly broken since traditionally thats been an issue.

Itll likely level out a few weeks after people have had time to adjust and learn to counter it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Well ok, I suppose I'm just predisposed to be doom and glooming, just wanted to check how others felt.

I jusrand worry that Chaos is back to being the first codex again (Chaos 2.0 being before this type of rules update).

I play space wolves and our codex is considered big rear end but thank you to the noble ultermehren codex for +1 attack.

Then again we get cheap as poo poo wargear so whatever. I like running my tooled up space idiots and no rules will ever stop me doing so.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Finally got my Rhino Primaris out of my backlog, only 2 years since I bought it, built it and did the interior:

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
The Invictor's deployment doesn't seem like it breaks the spirit of Tactical Reserves, since it has to stay 9" away from the enemy deployment zone as well as enemy models, hardly popping up in your opponent's backfield.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

the very definition of 'kill me'

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Texmo posted:

The Invictor's deployment doesn't seem like it breaks the spirit of Tactical Reserves, since it has to stay 9" away from the enemy deployment zone as well as enemy models, hardly popping up in your opponent's backfield.

Other stuff already does that anyway doesn't it? Drop pods being the only turn one true deep strike owns imo. I hope they keep it that way, drop pods are as iconic as terminators.

Errata the wolves drop pods so I can stick Bjorn in one and have him do something fricking epic gw

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
GOONHAMER UPDATES

Goonhammer guide to AdMech is up today:
https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-adeptus-mechanicus-tactics/

Also Pendulin did a showcase of his AdMech yesterday and they are extremely pretty:
https://www.goonhammer.com/army-showcase-andrews-adeptus-mechanicus/

FromTheShire's Latest Road to NOVA:
https://www.goonhammer.com/the-40k-hamateur-hour-presents-road-to-nova-weeks-13-14/

SRM wrote up a quick guide to painting NMM:
https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-lazy-non-metallic-metal/

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Texmo posted:

Yeah, infiltrate isn't problematic in the same way as turn 1 deep strike because if you don't go first your opponent can just shoot it. Historically the problem with turn 1 deep strike was that if you don't go first your firepower can all suddenly appear without having taken any damage. It's fine for marines to get a limited ability to do that by spending points on drop pods.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

So this primaris executioner seems strong but I don't know why I'd take it over my storm eagle which shits hell at things from lightspeed and is just as tough. Why is it (and he land raider tbh) so expensive points wise?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

So this primaris executioner seems strong but I don't know why I'd take it over my storm eagle which shits hell at things from lightspeed and is just as tough. Why is it (and he land raider tbh) so expensive points wise?

T8 matters a lot. The executioner has a ton more firepower too, and can actually stay near buffs.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Booley posted:

Yeah, infiltrate isn't problematic in the same way as turn 1 deep strike because if you don't go first your opponent can just shoot it. Historically the problem with turn 1 deep strike was that if you don't go first your firepower can all suddenly appear without having taken any damage. It's fine for marines to get a limited ability to do that by spending points on drop pods.

I mean this was always the rationale for Tactical Reserves. Getting turn 1 charges wasn't the problem as much as it was being able to keep half your army from being shot at with no other penalty if you ended up going second.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Booley posted:

T8 matters a lot. The executioner has a ton more firepower too, and can actually stay near buffs.

It's got a lot of anti infantry but the Eagle's 4 x lascannons, 2 x multimeltas and 2d6 rockets are comparable. The laser gun on the executioner owns though I'll give it that.

I'm going to buy one I'm just critiquing because the last four games I've played have just been the storm eagle dominating and dropping power armoured confetti everywhere. Repulsor Executioner with a purple paint job covered in lightning will own :twisted:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

It's got a lot of anti infantry but the Eagle's 4 x lascannons, 2 x multimeltas and 2d6 rockets are comparable. The laser gun on the executioner owns though I'll give it that.

I'm going to buy one I'm just critiquing because the last four games I've played have just been the storm eagle dominating and dropping power armoured confetti everywhere. Repulsor Executioner with a purple paint job covered in lightning will own :twisted:

It's really not comparable, the executioner laser is significantly better than the 4 lascannons, and all the anti-infantry beats out those missiles. Add the fact that the repulsor will actually be getting re-rolls, while the storm eagle is either not getting the - 1 to hit or is out running them. And the repulsor can hide out of line of sight turn 1, which the storm eagle never can.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

dexefiend posted:

One of us! One of us!

The journey of ten thousand points begins with the first mans.

Those are beautiful.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Texmo posted:

Unlike deepstriking, the walker is deploys
9inch away and can still move its 10 inch move. Then assault.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 16, 2019

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Cessna posted:

Those are beautiful.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I am still making progress on all the details, washes and edge highlighting. Having the quartering done provides a lot of visual impact.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Unlike deepstriking, the walker is deploys
9inch away and can still move its 10 inch move. Then assualt.

This has always been the case for stuff like Scouts, Nurglings, Striking Scorpions etc. it's fine. Basic screening will deal with it. The "problem" stuff was Alpha Legion Cultists or Stygies VIII Dragoons, because you deployed when you knew you were going first or second, so you could put them in infiltrate, pull off the alpha if you went first, or hide if you went 2nd. The Space Marine version means that you're left flapping in the wind if you deploy your unsupported Dreadnought 9" away and go second, which is a lot easier to deal with (unless you take a Phobos Warlord and dedicate his Warlord trait to being able to redeploy, which is a fair amount of commitment).

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

unless you take a Phobos Warlord and dedicate his Warlord trait to being able to redeploy, which is a fair amount of commitment

Absolutely worth it, though. You can redeploy 3 of the walkers, or two and the Phobos Captain

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It seems to me the big change will be that armies will need to have their own infiltrating units if they want a deep screen.

Are kroot infiltrate? May start seeing em.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Absolutely worth it, though. You can redeploy 3 of the walkers, or two and the Phobos Captain

You cant, Invictors aren't a dude in phobos armour first and foremost so they dont get the keyword for phobos so only way to redeploy invictors thus far is with the ultramarine stratagem.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
E:fb

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

Artum posted:

You cant, Invictors aren't a dude in phobos armour first and foremost so they dont get the keyword for phobos so only way to redeploy invictors thus far is with the ultramarine stratagem.

This is correct, but the trait isn't restricted to phobos units, just infantry units.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Corrode posted:

This has always been the case for stuff like Scouts, Nurglings, Striking Scorpions etc. it's fine. Basic screening will deal with it. The "problem" stuff was Alpha Legion Cultists or Stygies VIII Dragoons, because you deployed when you knew you were going first or second, so you could put them in infiltrate, pull off the alpha if you went first, or hide if you went 2nd. The Space Marine version means that you're left flapping in the wind if you deploy your unsupported Dreadnought 9" away and go second, which is a lot easier to deal with (unless you take a Phobos Warlord and dedicate his Warlord trait to being able to redeploy, which is a fair amount of commitment).

All good points.

Still for 140 points your getting a 13 wound bruiser that does flat damage 3 in close combat. That's just insane to have charging your line first turn and worth the risk of someone seizing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Foul Ole Ron posted:

All good points.

Still for 140 points your getting a 13 wound bruiser that does flat damage 3 in close combat. That's just insane to have charging your line first turn and worth the risk of someone seizing.

Only T6, and now Marines have a communal overwatch strat which makes that significantly more interesting than before.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Foul Ole Ron posted:

All good points.

There are plenty of armies that can put worse in your front line already and a properly deployed army isn’t going to be too concerned with a few chaff models soaking some D3 punches before backing out and lighting the cowboy mech up.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

At the risk of spamming the thread with my crap, I just wrapped up some more death guard in the same scheme as the drone. Definately sold on the scheme for the rest of the army.

Biologus Putrifier

Foul Blightspawn

Work in progress contemptor

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

Only T6, and now Marines have a communal overwatch strat which makes that significantly more interesting than before.

So they also have Tau overwatch shinanigans? So Doctrines, unique supplements, abilities to deploy and assault turn 1, new super tank, improved chapter tactics, cheap troops, buff to units which sucked.

And this is the stuff that is obvious, this is before all the little details are picked apart and broken synergies are found.

I accept I'm moaning, I accept that's more annoying than endearing. But, as a marine player myself even I can see its going to mess up the balance too much.

I can also accept if I'm wrong, but I know I'm not here.

Sperg complete, powering down.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

I just impulse bought an AdMech army on eBay due to Mechanicus, so this is appreciated!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I’ll let Space Marines accept all the help they can get if their army is going to be more than an MSU Battalion to feed three Knights.

Frankly without much better damage mitigation (though there’s some wound buffs in there) they’re going to die all the same, it’s just a matter of how much more damage they can do before they go.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mr Teatime posted:

At the risk of spamming the thread with my crap, I just wrapped up some more death guard in the same scheme as the drone. Definately sold on the scheme for the rest of the army.

Uh... spam more. Holy crap, your stuff is gorgeous.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eifert Posting posted:

It seems to me the big change will be that armies will need to have their own infiltrating units if they want a deep screen.

Are kroot infiltrate? May start seeing em.

They don't but the carnivores get to move 7" before the first turn so, they can offer some area denial. Every other Kroot thing doesn't have that. I don't know why the shaper doesn't but there you are.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Foul Ole Ron posted:

So they also have Tau overwatch shinanigans? So Doctrines, unique supplements, abilities to deploy and assault turn 1, new super tank, improved chapter tactics, cheap troops, buff to units which sucked.

Doctrines only work on Codex-only (no index no Forge World no soup) armies.

The Overwatch thing is a strat for three units, it's not a constant and it's not free.

I guess if you look only at things that improved in a vacuum it looks OP, but the response to that is "no poo poo?"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/16/space-marines-new-rules-for-non-codex-chaptersgw-homepage-post-3/

Rules for non Codex chapters are available.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/16/space-marines-new-rules-for-non-codex-chaptersgw-homepage-post-3/

SW, BA, DW, and DA do not get Combat Doctrines.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Artum posted:

ah, gently caress good point

I'd still do it for Eliminators tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

...wait. Does that mean Grimaldus’s Cenobyte Servitors break Combat Doctrines for the Black Templars?