Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Thank God for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
No thank Mr Pooh, not god.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
thank you communist cartoon bear, for the cheap bibles

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gotta keep the evangelical swine happy

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
https://twitter.com/liu_da_cheng/status/1162326565385932800

The third way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ACAB

https://twitter.com/VivienneChow/status/1162011234545221632?s=20

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Lol if you don't boycott disney by now you need to check your head.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what do disney do, disney marvel and star wars?

easiest boycott ever

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"but i want to see wolverine kill yoda"

gently caress you

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

even in other countries’ dumb bullshit conflicts, white people will find a way to be the worst*

*edit: conflicts in countries that are majority white are of course also dumb bullshit.

Lightning Knight has issued a correction as of 13:43 on Aug 16, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Scarlett Johannson's time to shine!!!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The brave supercops of Hong Kong risk their lives every day to protect the public, whether that means jumping down the side of a building, escaping an exploding fireworks factory, or jumping a motorbike on to a moving train, like GTA but for real. Show some respect.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hardboiled owns

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Icealm didn't take his probation too well

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lightning Knight posted:

even in other countries’ dumb bullshit conflicts, white people will find a way to be the worst*

*edit: conflicts in countries that are majority white are of course also dumb bullshit.

Another white idiot, this time the guy who is famous for climbing buildings

https://twitter.com/AFPphoto/status/1162318082012004353?s=19

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
lol, moments later

https://www.watoday.com.au/national...816-p52hzi.html

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

she's wrong but it's a stupid controversy. that wonder woman actress can support the idf and nobody gives a poo poo

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

i promise i'm not trying to do opsec for china but jesus has anyone posted this yet

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1160319351930490880

coathat
May 21, 2007

drat everywhere is exactly like America. Anything people do has the exact same meaning as Americans

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Another white idiot, this time the guy who is famous for climbing buildings

https://twitter.com/AFPphoto/status/1162318082012004353?s=19

thank you spiderman

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

coathat posted:

drat everywhere is exactly like America. Anything people do has the exact same meaning as Americans

be a facetious rear end in a top hat or whatever but there is something concerning about any kind of america fellating to me, whether it's waving the flag or pepe memes. it even makes me groan when leftist kurds in syria do it, even though i'm totally sympathetic to their aims

the primary hong kong parties who support complete independence are predominantly right-wing and xenophobic against mainlanders. you can recognize that there's a right-wing element in the protest and still support many of the aims though, be it against the lovely extradition law they originally mobilized against or the absurdly high cost of housing (which unfortunately has been blamed predominantly on mainlanders due to a few gentrifyers and led to discrimination/xenophobia)

hong kong protests are a land of contrasts

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love it when a movement 8,000 miles away appeals to me, a fat idiot American who can't even pay his bills.

drat, the Hong Kong protesters learned to code and are hacking communism's mainframe. Awesome!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Yossarian-22 posted:

the primary hong kong parties who support complete independence are predominantly right-wing and xenophobic against mainlanders. you can recognize that there's a right-wing element in the protest and still support many of the aims though, be it against the lovely extradition law they originally mobilized against or the absurdly high cost of housing (which unfortunately has been blamed predominantly on mainlanders due to a few gentrifyers and led to discrimination/xenophobia)

you have massively misunderstood everything about all of this

especially the housing situation. You need to read up about housing policy in Hong Kong and how the public/private sector divide works. Gentrification has nothing to do with it. Taxation and land sales have everything to do with it. Mainland money laundering has everything to do with it.

far be it from me to say there's no racism or xenophobia in Hong Kong, but protesting against a libertarian right government in Hong Kong and their authoritarian right masters in Beijing does not belie a right wing xenophobic element in protests demanding civil liberties and political pluralism.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Bloodnose posted:

you have massively misunderstood everything about all of this

especially the housing situation. You need to read up about housing policy in Hong Kong and how the public/private sector divide works. Gentrification has nothing to do with it. Taxation and land sales have everything to do with it. Mainland money laundering has everything to do with it.

far be it from me to say there's no racism or xenophobia in Hong Kong, but protesting against a libertarian right government in Hong Kong and their authoritarian right masters in Beijing does not belie a right wing xenophobic element in protests demanding civil liberties and political pluralism.

https://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/1485847/something-has-give-amid-gentrification-hong-kong

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of housing policy, but I know for a fact that there's a lot of resentment against mainlanders since a decent portion of them are rich. If gentrification is *not* the problem then it at least seems to be a present grievance

I'm a dumb dumb who knows nothing, but I do know from following Carl Zha that the resentment against mainlanders is part of why the vast majority of them are completely alienated from the movement. I'm not saying that that's the whole of the movement, but it reminds me of Ukraine where people were dismissive of the grievances of Eastern/Southern Russian Ukrainians who were afraid that Maidan was going to trample on their rights (admittedly an element of Maidan that RT and other outlets as a casus belli for Russia's impending interventions/invasions)

I mean it's the same thing with Gilets Jaunes. Anti-immigration sentiments are not the whole of the protest movement but they are still a problem

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Aug 16, 2019

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
That op ed you linked was written by an incumbent Carrie Lam appointee.

That isn't to say inequality isn't a massive problem. Hong Kong is easily the most unequal developed economy in the world. It has been for decades. But the idea that it's cause for widespread anti-mainlander chauvinism is a bit of a stretch.

Literally every single Hong Konger who isn't a Hakka clansman has roots in the mainland. Most of them are less than two generations removed (meaning most everybody has at least one mainlander parent or grandparent). There isn't a big problem with Chaoshan grandmas getting denied service at cha chaan tengs.

In fact it's kind of a weird double situation where a massive proportion of the city's service industry is actually organized for the express purpose of serving mainland tourists. The influx of course does breed resentment. But it's a different kind of resentment from a discrimination against an underclass.

If you're looking for real racism and discrimination, look no further than Hong Kong's century old South Indian population, especially the Nepali community, which is regularly denied opportunities in the economy. Or more recent refugee communities, particularly those from Africa. These issues don't interact with the current political protest movement though.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Bloodnose posted:

That op ed you linked was written by an incumbent Carrie Lam appointee.

That isn't to say inequality isn't a massive problem. Hong Kong is easily the most unequal developed economy in the world. It has been for decades. But the idea that it's cause for widespread anti-mainlander chauvinism is a bit of a stretch.

Literally every single Hong Konger who isn't a Hakka clansman has roots in the mainland. Most of them are less than two generations removed (meaning most everybody has at least one mainlander parent or grandparent). There isn't a big problem with Chaoshan grandmas getting denied service at cha chaan tengs.

In fact it's kind of a weird double situation where a massive proportion of the city's service industry is actually organized for the express purpose of serving mainland tourists. The influx of course does breed resentment. But it's a different kind of resentment from a discrimination against an underclass.

If you're looking for real racism and discrimination, look no further than Hong Kong's century old South Indian population, especially the Nepali community, which is regularly denied opportunities in the economy. Or more recent refugee communities, particularly those from Africa. These issues don't interact with the current political protest movement though.

Isn't it a difference though if you're, say, a third-generation Hong Kong citizen who's grandparents emigrated during WWII/Chinese Communist Revolution vs. a more recent arrival?

I can't speak to the amount of resentment against mainlanders whether within the movement or inflated by the Chinese media, but it seems that a lot of mainlanders on social media have been alienated from the movement as a result. Unless they're all sockpuppets ofc, but I tend to trust what Carl Zha says even if he's biased. Might or might not be some concern trolling on that front

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Aug 17, 2019

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
IMO the highest real estate price in the world, and the insane gini coefficient only provide a very warm bed for the unrest, and they are big factors to motivate the young landless radicals, they are a big factor but not necessarily the primary factor of triggered the protest.

You have to goes back to the older middle-class home-owning professionals (minor winners of the HK libertarian hellscape playground) who just DON NOT LIKE mainlanders, hate CCP and refuse integration. The loser half of HK really don't have incentive to resist the change but the minor winners have thing to lose and they will do everything they can to resist change, many of the things they are holding on dearly are intangible things that "make HK better". I have been watching a lot of HK youtube talk shows from the protesters side in the last few days (many of them are directly funded by Jimmy "Fatso" Lai), their dislike of mainlanders and integration are not even thinly veiled. Of course the extradition bill directly touch the pies of the HK private banking/money laundering industry and surely will get a lot of push back from them, but you have to stand further back and see the series of protects over the years and see what change attempts are getting the biggest push back.

One thing HKers fail to remember is that "50 years unchanged" was a promised from Deng. Deng was never officially the head of state in any time of his life. However he was a big mean who shaped the direction of the country for at least 4 decades. Jiang and Hu were Deng followers and they were never powerful enough to walk out of Deng's shadow and plans. However Xi is capable of make the change if he choose. Bottom line "50 years unchanged" was a Deng promise and he was but one of the 3 big men in the PRC history. Deng was willing to do "an experiment" on HK. He actually did many experiments including the special economic zone in SZ, and a few more cities (those cities didn't work so well and nobody talks about them). You can not uphold the plans made by the previous dead leaders for forever, this is not what's best for the state. The later emperors who tried to honor Qianlong emperor Kongxi's dead promise of never add tax directly responsible to the decline of the Qing empire.

Now the approach Beijing used on HK experiment since handover was to "hand out economic incentive to exchange for cooperation." This approach only benefits the elites and it barely get cooperation from them. And the bottom half of the city didn't see any of the incentive. We are already in the middle of the 50 year experiment. One thing we know for sure is that this approach with HK is clearly a failure. Look at the entire Cathay Pacific corp up and down, who carry the mentality of "I am an honorary British and Hong Konger and I am not Chinese and I AM BETTA" even though they are making the Chinese money in China. These people pretty much have no chance to change their mind for the rest of their lives. My conclusion? The time to make major structural change is now.

tino has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Aug 17, 2019

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
also at the time of handover HK was like 20% of china's GDP with only a few million people, better not to disturb that.

Now a lot has moved over, integrated with mainland, or been diminished in its significance. I don't see any reason that China wouldn't want to accelerate it's integration

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

There's a good chance that something happens to deal with the protests before national day, anyway. It'd be a big black mark to have protests happening during the holiday.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

e:
sorry wrong thread

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/xu_xiuzhong/status/1162555349540339712

https://twitter.com/xu_xiuzhong/status/1162562177875623936

https://twitter.com/xu_xiuzhong/status/1162575790745145344

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

found the goon

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Lol

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The bubble that rich mainland students in the West live in is pretty surreal

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

shrike82 posted:

The bubble that rich mainland students in the West live in is pretty surreal

Yeah that's pretty crazy lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
honestly the mainland vs hong kong sentiment kinda reminds me of france vs corsica sentiment, french tourists come by the thousands and then love to complain about how mean the Corsican locals were to them

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sparticle posted:

found the goon

don’t doxx guyovich pls tia

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

honestly the mainland vs hong kong sentiment kinda reminds me of france vs corsica sentiment, french tourists come by the thousands and then love to complain about how mean the Corsican locals were to them

Are the Corsican locals mean to them?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bloodnose posted:

corsican no like france or being part of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bloodnose posted:

Not really, just not properly happy to have to serve a french tourist in sandals