Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JET is full of snotty 22 year olds complaining about school lunch. You'd either be miserable, or crush them all to become god-emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Then call me Leto II. I don't know, my hope is that JET would give me the time to learn Japanese, all the while I could work on getting a teaching license in the States so I could transition into international school afterwards. If that didn't seem appealing, well, I could speak Japanese, which I needed for academia anyway, and it's better than my original plan to pay to learn Tibetan in Nepal. And speaking Japanese is probably significantly more helpful career wise, regardless of what I decide.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Then call me Leto II. I don't know, my hope is that JET would give me the time to learn Japanese, all the while I could work on getting a teaching license in the States so I could transition into international school afterwards. If that didn't seem appealing, well, I could speak Japanese, which I needed for academia anyway, and it's better than my original plan to pay to learn Tibetan in Nepal. And speaking Japanese is probably significantly more helpful career wise, regardless of what I decide.

If you’re interested in Japan and Japanese already, it will get you to the country — likely in a smaller town — and pay decently. What you do with the time, to study, get social, play video games in your underwear, is up to you. And if you want to be in Japan long-term, you can at least have better chance at moving up thanks to being in the country already. Having knowledge of Japanese will be useful...in Japan.

If that all sounds good, JET applications are open in November and send you out the following summer (or, sometimes, April).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If that's really your goal you can JET in some deep countryside town and spend all your time in Japanese immersion. You don't have to hang out with the fresh college kids. Plus like I said, if you go for Teacher Ready you're already in a school to get your hours so it's a good combo.

Going to pimp out Matsumoto again as a great place, big enough to have stuff but small enough you'd get to know it well and it's mostly Japanese.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm still bitter that jet sent my rejection on April 1st

I've never been owned harder before or since

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 8, 2019

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Guys one of my travel days of my trip will bring me to Kobe around lunch time, and I suppose that means I have to get some Kobe beef, if only to say I've tried it!

Anyone have any good recommendations for a good spot? It's gonna be a group of 6 of us so hopefully not something super tiny, and if they have a good quality lunch set for $50-$100 US that would be peachy!

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

arisu posted:

Guys one of my travel days of my trip will bring me to Kobe around lunch time, and I suppose that means I have to get some Kobe beef, if only to say I've tried it!

Anyone have any good recommendations for a good spot? It's gonna be a group of 6 of us so hopefully not something super tiny, and if they have a good quality lunch set for $50-$100 US that would be peachy!

Wakkoqu http://www.wakkoqu.com/index.html it’s right beside Shin-Kobe station, not a far walk from Sannomiya station.

Make a reservation, just to make sure they have a chef available for you (they cook in front of you at the table). Also make sure you get the garlic rice. One of the best things I’ve ever tasted. Price was about 8000-9000¥ per person for the lunch set and the garlic rice, which is separate. Seriously, order it.

prompt fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 8, 2019

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

prompt posted:

Wakkoqu http://www.wakkoqu.com/index.html it’s right beside Shin-Kobe station, not a far walk from Sannomiya station.

Make a reservation, just to make sure they have a chef available for you (they cook in front of you at the table). Also make sure you get the garlic rice. One of the best things I’ve ever tasted. Price was about 8000-9000¥ per person for the lunch set and the garlic rice, which is separate. Seriously, order it.

Excellent. This looks perfect. Thanks!

Can't wait to finally taste that Kobe beef!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Seconding that Wakkoqu is amazing! Genuinely the best meal I’ve ever had. We’re thinking of trying someone different for Kobe beef for our next trip and Royal Mouriya shows up on a lot of blogs, anyone been there?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Paging ntan1: Do you know of any good (preferably small and quiet) onsen that are open and accessible in the Japanese Alps in late December? I'd like to find a place reachable from Takayama if possible, though I'm aware that Kamikochi itself is inaccessible in wintertime.

I put in a booking at this place for the time being with the option to cancel, but it seems to only have a so-so rating on Rakuten.

Generally I'm just hoping to find a nice onsen to relax at for a couple of days while in the central/northern Chubu region, and that seemed like the best area to try.

Edit: I guess I could also go out to Kinosaki Onsen from Kyoto during the first week of January, but it seems like that's an extremely popular time of year for that area.

Edit Redux: Looks like a nice little minshuku in Ainokura got back to me — maybe I'll just do 2 nights Takayama and 2 nights Ainokura instead of overnighting at the onsen...

Keret fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 15, 2019

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Okuhida is the right place to look.

Try yamaboshi in Okuhida: http://www.okuhida-yamaboushi.com/

If you are looking into Okuhida, I also recommend stopping by Hirayu no Mori on your way to the ryokan. I suspect most Ryokans also pick up from there.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 15, 2019

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

ntan1 posted:

Okuhida is the right place to look.

Try yamaboshi in Okuhida: http://www.okuhida-yamaboushi.com/

If you are looking into Okuhida, I also recommend stopping by Hirayu no Mori on your way to the ryokan. I suspect most Ryokans also pick up from there.

Wow, Yamaboshi is gorgeous. :monocle: I tried their reservation system and it seems that they don't accept solo occupants though, only 2 people/room. It's a shame that so many places do that, but I guess I understand why they do it. Is there any way around this, aside from convincing a random person along the way to come with me?

I'll look into Hirayu no Mori as well.

Edit: I think I'm just going to try for Yamaboshi anyway at the normal rate; I think it's worth it. Surely they wouldn't kick me to the curb for showing up as one person when I'm paying a full 2-person room rate?

Keret fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 15, 2019

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Call them and they can often discount it to 1.5x.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Keret posted:

convincing a random person along the way to come with me?

...paying a full 2-person room rate

It's drastically easier to convince someone if you are willing to pay for their piece, so yes, it's worth a try.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
PS: Within the Okuhida area there are probably at least 4-6 different ryokans I'd be willing to try; the water source over there is also incredibly good.

These days I generally try to find ryokans in the range of 20k yen to 23k yen per person that are outstanding, as I usually find this the general price point. Below 20k yen then Minshuku usually end up better (this is subject to area. If you go to a non-tourist area, you can find good places at like 17-19k yen). Above 23k, you end up in the super luxury ryokan segment (I sometimes try them but the value you get drops).

Except I've been to so many ryokans that I have a really high quality bar:

(1) Food needs to be very good/well reviewed
(2) Place needs to be beautiful (either traditional or modern)
(3) Not a large hotel/ryokan, unless we plan to be out quickly
(4) Onsen needs to not use chlorine
(5) Onsen strongly preferred to be gensen-kakenagashi; preference away from simple alkaline springs
(6) Good service; this includes door welcoming, waving as you leave, introduction to the facilities, restaurant/dinner explanation with very good timing, etc.

You'd think (6) is sort of stupid but over time I've realized that it's really really important. A place where (6) doesn't happen mean the staff aren't happy or trained well, which usually affects all of the other points. EG. really good waiters have secret ways of seeing how far along you are in your meal, even in a private room. Folks waving good bye feel really important esp when it happens with a lot of Minshuku and many other ryokans as well. So it almost feels strange when they don't bow on your way out.

(3) is more of a product of too many tourists. Boutiques end up being better if you aren't bringing kids (and even if you are bringing kids) because you don't have to deal with so many 外国人*.

Yamaboshi fits all 6 except technically (5) due to being a simple akaline spring. But this should mean poo poo to you until you are an obsessed onsen nerd.

* Usually discreetly actually means Chinese group tourists.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
If I want to pick up one of those portable wifi devices in Narita, do they close up shop at some point, or are they 24 hours, or is it just picking it up vending-machine style? I'm supposed to arrive 8 or 9 pm and don't want to run into any issues.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

I meant at the airport, unless I'm missing something. I didn't mean "pick it up" as in ordered ahead of time, I meant actually rent it right there in the airport. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Nanigans posted:

If I want to pick up one of those portable wifi devices in Narita, do they close up shop at some point, or are they 24 hours, or is it just picking it up vending-machine style? I'm supposed to arrive 8 or 9 pm and don't want to run into any issues.

Order a sim card or something. 30 bucks for 2 weeks, no data limit. Way better than wifi dongles.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I have Sprint, phone doesn’t even have a sim card port.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Nanigans posted:

Ugh, sprint is poo poo. See if you can buy or borrow an old GSM phone or something :D

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

totalnewbie posted:

Order a sim card or something. 30 bucks for 2 weeks, no data limit. Way better than wifi dongles.

I’ve found that if I’m tethered to my wife’s phone, if I don’t use my phone for a few minutes then I drop off. Having to ask her to turn on her phone so I can use data gets old quick, so we’re definitely getting a WiFi hotspot.

Edit to add a question: Is now a good time to start looking for hotels for mid-November, or should I wait until September for more inventory to open up?

Slow Graffiti fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 17, 2019

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Slow Graffiti posted:

I’ve found that if I’m tethered to my wife’s phone, if I don’t use my phone for a few minutes then I drop off. Having to ask her to turn on her phone so I can use data gets old quick, so we’re definitely getting a WiFi hotspot.

Edit to add a question: Is now a good time to start looking for hotels for mid-November, or should I wait until September for more inventory to open up?

Get two sim cards.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Nanigans posted:

Doesn't Sprint automatically connect with Softbank in Japan without any extra fees?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Original_Z posted:

Doesn't Sprint automatically connect with Softbank in Japan without any extra fees?

A quick searching suggests it’s $5, from my own experience doing the opposite that’s about 1000 yen for a month in the US.

I’m not sure how much SIM cards go for in Japan but it’s likely a better deal than pocket WiFi.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I went to the bic camera at the airport and bought two sims. A+, would do a again. Hardest part was finding the drat store.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I just bought a preloaded one before going. Can pick them up at airport, or get them sent to your hotel, local post office etc. I also discovered my phone has two SIM slots because it's from China? Which is cool, so I get to use both.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
hey guys I have a question about accessing the internet on my holiday

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The Great Autismo! posted:

hey guys I have a question about accessing the internet on my holiday

Don't, hth.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah who the gently caress wants easy access to information when they're in an unfamiliar place with huge communication barriers lol

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

How else will I be able to live post in the Line room when I fall down a mountain and break some bones?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

harperdc posted:

A quick searching suggests it’s $5, from my own experience doing the opposite that’s about 1000 yen for a month in the US.

I’m not sure how much SIM cards go for in Japan but it’s likely a better deal than pocket WiFi.

Yep, this is the answer. I have Sprint and have them add the $5 Japan add-on for one month every time I go and it's perfect. Unlimited call, text, and LTE and no international roaming fees. Also, you might already know this, but Google Maps will be your best friend.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

torb main posted:

Yep, this is the answer. I have Sprint and have them add the $5 Japan add-on for one month every time I go and it's perfect. Unlimited call, text, and LTE and no international roaming fees. Also, you might already know this, but Google Maps will be your best friend.

This is awesome news, thanks both of you for the heads up. My wife is the only one planning to make calls, so she'll grab the plan for the month and otherwise we'll communicate through Whatsapp.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Nanigans posted:

This is awesome news, thanks both of you for the heads up. My wife is the only one planning to make calls, so she'll grab the plan for the month and otherwise we'll communicate through Whatsapp.

Are you expecting Wifi coverage everywhere, or to use connection sharing via your wife's phone?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah don’t expect free WiFi to be plentiful. And if your wife is making calls, she better understand the time difference to home as well.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Use your extra coins...

in a payphone!!!!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Huh? My wife and I both have Sprint. If we have high speed LTE through Softbank all over, we wouldn’t need Wifi. We’d use Google Maps/Translate and whatever else over LTE, and she can make calls with her $5 plan.

Unless I’m missing something.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Nanigans posted:

Huh? My wife and I both have Sprint. If we have high speed LTE through Softbank all over, we wouldn’t need Wifi. We’d use Google Maps/Translate and whatever else over LTE, and she can make calls with her $5 plan.

Yeah, I've literally only ever used the $5 add-on and had unlimited LTE everywhere in Japan and you shouldn't have any real need for Wi-Fi unless you want to hotspot a laptop or something. Note that I haven't done this since late 2018 (going back in a few weeks), so things may have changed since then. I'd just call Sprint's international support and ask about the $5 add-on. But you should be totally fine with the plan if it's the same as it was before.

https://shop.sprint.com/global/pdf/shop/japan_roaming_add_on.pdf

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nanigans posted:

If phone plans work the same in the US as they do everywhere else then the $5 a month is to make all that poo poo work in Japan. As in you would both need the plan to enable data for maps and translate and WhatsApp etc, it's not just for calls.

Otherwise if just your wife gets it, she has data/calls/texts and you don't have poo poo (or you do have poo poo but you get absolutely brutalised with roaming charges because you didn't take the plan, is the more likely scenario).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

When is the Japan goon chat moving to OpenChat