Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

You take a gun, you take an onion

Smash em together

BAM

Guinan

Looks like you used a bit too much gun there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Random note, it looks like Picard's likely to be embarassed by a Captain Picard Day from grown-up Enterprise kids, I do wonder which Star Trek characters are best with kids. Picard is obviously awkward around them, the Sisko is a great dad, Worf is a terrible dad, Quark strikes me as a bit of a cool uncle type you could probably trust them with for the weekend, though you wouldn't trust him with their pocket money. Lwaxana is everybody's cool aunt. Kira strikes me as someone who's decent around kids if not entirely the maternal type, and will absolutely murder anyone who threatens them.

Riker is a cool uncle but you wouldn't really trust him with your newly-18 daughter

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I always loved how bad that gun prop looked.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baronjutter posted:

I always loved how bad that gun prop looked.

Trek has a weird history with weapon props. There's the bit where Kira is doing the M16-to-AK47 speech demonstrating the Federation phase rifle and the battery falls out of the prop halfway through.

Still love that Klingon disruptor pistols are basically space flintlocks.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

EvilTaytoMan posted:

i never understood why the gently caress she has a carbine and not just a handheld
she gonna dome someone with that thing?

oh poo poo thats exactly why. lmao
guinan rules

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FuhrerHat posted:

i never understood why the gently caress she has a carbine and not just a handheld

guinan rules

Doesn't poo poo like this come up a few times to where it def looks like the federation has some pretty loose gun laws

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

shovelbum posted:

Doesn't poo poo like this come up a few times to where it def looks like the federation has some pretty loose gun laws

A phaser isn't a "gun" !!!! It's a sophisticated multi-functional tool!!!!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Every time a Fed comes to tell her she cant have a gun, she helps them resolve their deepest insecurity and leave the ship, forgetting about the gun

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Baronjutter posted:

A phaser isn't a "gun" !!!! It's a sophisticated multi-functional tool!!!!

This is actually true though. Disruptors are much much more prominent in the universe outside of the federation because they're conceptually simpler, the federation invested in phaser tech for it's multitool purpose

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Danaru posted:

Every time a Fed comes to tell her she cant have a gun, she helps them resolve their deepest insecurity and leave the ship, forgetting about the gun

Either that or she vaporizes them. I like to think that she uses the tool for the occaision.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

shovelbum posted:

A gay communist space utopia doesn't need gun laws because there aren't any reasons to commit a crime.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
LURSA DIED.

RIP Klingon lady. You lived with HONOR!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
B'ETOR LIED, LURSA DIED

e: oh you meant in real life

RIP you shinging star

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Today was a good day to die, apparently.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

All the good engineers are out making passion projects, they have infinite space and resources. Nobody is going to buckle down to the routine of Utopia Planitia unless they're a loving loser with no imagination. Seriously, without the economic reason why wouldn't all the genius weirdos just be out in some unnamed uninhabited solar system on the Federation side of the Romulan/Cardassian/Klingon border building weird poo poo for the fun of it?

because in the 23rd century, history still remembers the horror of completely unmoderated minecraft server 2b2t.net

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

alexandriao posted:

Riker is a cool uncle but you wouldn't really trust him with your newly-18 daughter

I mean, he wouldn't Neelix her, anything that happened would be all consensual and stuff, but...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

* walks up to replicator *

"Gun, earl grey, hot."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

alexandriao posted:

This is actually true though. Disruptors are much much more prominent in the universe outside of the federation because they're conceptually simpler, the federation invested in phaser tech for it's multitool purpose

Yeah they had pretty good restrictions on that transporter gun that shoots through walls. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

shovelbum posted:

Nobody ever talks about the second directive.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I enjoy all the grey super thin plastic lunch pails attached to the walls that contain phasers. Like yeah they make a boop noise indicating they’re probably locked but there’s no way one solid tug wouldn’t free the guns from their prison

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 15, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gutcruncher posted:

I enjoy all the grey super thin plastic lunch pails attached to the walls that contain phasers. Like yeah they make a boop noise indicating they’re probably locked but there’s no way one solid tug wouldn’t free the guns from their prison

Yeah, they were literally Rubbermaid container lids.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FuhrerHat posted:

guinan rules

It's a barman's shotgun; It needs presence to make a point to a bunch of drunken assholes in the middle of a fight and make a big loud noise when it goes off.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sounds about right.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

lmbo

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My friend co-wrote a thing
https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1162082398986625024?s=19

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a barman's shotgun; It needs presence to make a point to a bunch of drunken assholes in the middle of a fight and make a big loud noise when it goes off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu2I35ReZ5A

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

The Broken Link dilemma

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gene was a goddamn weirdo but kinda seems like he had his heart in the right place most of the time. I suppose it takes weirdos to do so decades before it becomes acceptable.

Worf as a trans metaphor is surprising to me, but y'know what, I can see it. The dude's whole arc is trying to come to terms with contradictory ideals of morality and masculinity in a way that doesn't outright threaten the people he cares about.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 16, 2019

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah like if a Phaser can vapourize a 43m³ size square on a mid-range setting (From memory? Might be wrong, I don't remember the tech manual's list v well), that gun could probably blast a fair-sized hole in the hull (esp since I don't think there's shielding from the inside?? Would be cool to see it happen I guess)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

alexandriao posted:

Yeah like if even the tiny pissy palm-sized Phasers can vapourize a 43m³ size square on a mid-range setting (From memory? Might be wrong, I don't remember the tech manual's list v well), that gun could probably blast a fair-sized hole in the hull (esp since I don't think there's shielding from the inside?? Would be cool to see it happen I guess)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Data: Captain, a weapon has been discharged in Ten Forward. Hull breach. Emergency shields have activated. Four casualties.

Captain Picard(browsing Twitter in his chair): You hate to see it!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*cbs execs frantically making notes*

people wanna see picard shoot a hole int he enterprise with guinan's rifle huh

object-a
Aug 3, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
no, not really

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Data: Captain, a weapon has been discharged in Ten Forward. Hull breach. Emergency shields have activated. Four casualties.

Captain Picard(browsing Twitter in his chair): You hate to see it!

That's just a particularly rowdy Saturday night.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is Bashir a changeling by the time he asks The Cheif if "he looked" when he helped Kira out of the bath? Or is that all Julian.

object-a
Aug 3, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
changeling unless you can innately do it with your bio-brain

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FuhrerHat posted:

*cbs execs frantically making notes*

people wanna see picard shoot a hole int he enterprise with guinan's rifle huh

Opening of the first episode, we fade in to see Picard, sitting in a lawn chair with a beer, casually "plinking" with a phaser at something offscreen. Pull back to reveal the crashed Enterprise-D saucer section. Picard is shooting out the windows, one by one. Picard's dog comes up to him and receives a friendly head scritch. Fade out to opening credits.

object-a
Aug 3, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
can we get some diversity up in this bitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

object-a posted:

no, not really

Speak for yourself