Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Isn’t another difference that the conductive wire can pass through tiles but heaviwatt requires these junction Plates?

You’re confusing wires, there are two types of wire and two types of heavy-watt. Conductive heavi is basically using refined metal to halve the decor penalty and not much else. It should really double capacity too but there are mods for that at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh, I never realized there was a second heviwatt.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I felt so proud of myself for making a little sunken room to store food in full of co2 because I never knew it was better than a fridge.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anaerobic bacteria is a strange thing not to model I think.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Anaerobic bacteria tend to be as intolerant to oxygen as aerobic life is to the absence of it, so the only ways you can really get anaerobic bacteria in your food are generally if you store or prepare it in a place that was already contaminated with them. I don't know how long a "cycle" is supposed to be, but it's probably short enough that modelling botulinum bacteria just to simulate the effects of anaerobic spoilage isn't quite worth it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well more just like, carbon dioxide doesn't sterilize food. That'd be ample. Like there's stuff that rots food that doesn't require oxygen involved, like mold and poo poo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Most molds do require oxygen, just not a whole lot of it. A lot of that stuff doesn't survive cooking, though, so I guess they just figured that's good enough to count as sterilizing for that purpose? Like pre-cooked and sealed ready-meals you buy in a store, those can last months and months even without cooling.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

that is a very WH40k nature reserve :allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like the game would be more fun if you could just build rough blocks.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Splicer posted:

few pages late but even if the hot water gets contained somewhere the steam -> water conversion is dumping a lot of heat into the surroundings, especially into the surrounding gases. With no precautions to keep that hot air away from the base it's a time bomb

And my answer helps with abandoning that chunk of base so you can survive to build elsewhere and reclaiming that part once you've built a cooling setup. The cool co2 below it won't help much since it conducts so poorly and the heat capacity of water is so high.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

On the ONI discord someone was all "I don't know why people say heat is an issue, I'm all the way to cycle 75 and it's been no problem for me at all!"

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Just as I started learning how to cool a base, I started a new Rime game, because I hate myself. What's sort of the long and short of how people got about heating their base up on Rime maps? I found a steam vent, and I could rig up a water heating system, but

1) I'm afraid of overheating, given the water is extremely hot
2) once I've heated up the base enough it seems like it would be easy to adapt the system to cool, but that seems wasteful

I'm only cycle ~30 so I've got a ways to go before automation, but I'm already running into sub zero areas that are proving troublesome.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

CainFortea posted:

On the ONI discord someone was all "I don't know why people say heat is an issue, I'm all the way to cycle 75 and it's been no problem for me at all!"

The difference in scope/approach between a new player and experiencedplayer in this game is one of the reasons I love it so much. Those two perspectives are literally playing a different game.

All the stuff you worry about early just becomes this giant afterthought to fueling rockets and all that poo poo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Feel like the game could use a radiator or something, like it transfers heat to nearby things except in space where it just slowly gets rid of it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

Feel like the game could use a radiator or something, like it transfers heat to nearby things except in space where it just slowly gets rid of it.

Except for the space part, that's exactly what tempshift plates do. Build a few and it's a radiator. Bonus, you can build it behind buildings.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don’t quite understand tempshift plates at a level of knowing when to use them. I placed some and it seemed like it equalized the temp of my water tank faster, but uh? I have no idea the range or effective use of them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I don’t quite understand tempshift plates at a level of knowing when to use them. I placed some and it seemed like it equalized the temp of my water tank faster, but uh? I have no idea the range or effective use of them.

The range is 'the entire length of the solid plate' and the effective use is 'I want to slow down/speed up heating/cooling things in an area'.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
GLossy Drekkos are nuts, and I thought it would be way harder or take way longer to get them set up, but I forgot about it for a bit, then when i looked i had 30+ plastic producing little beasts before ever hitting oil. The only real downside is that it's a lot of labor to constantly be grooming and shearing them.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

So I have a loop of cooled hydrogen running through my base. It comes in at -15 (and decreasing) but leaves the industrial hot zone at like 65, then finishes its loop around 85 where it’s cooled again.

Everything is adequately cooled. If anything I think that the base may be on an exceedingly slow, but certain match to freezing as the loop itself seems to be cooling ever so slowly.

This sounds like I don’t need temp shift plates? Do they help around the Anti Entropy generator for cooling? I don’t know why it’s such a mental block for me.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Maybe this will help.

Equal heat applied to the bottom, this shows the spread of heat using tempshift plates.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The third one has the same results as that first one. That's an interesting quirk.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like the game would be more fun if you could just build rough blocks.

There is a "simple" way to make natural tiles involving melting phosphorus apparently:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/cql8s2/theres_a_much_easier_way_than_cooking_dirt_to/

This game is all about doing clever things for the dumbest reasons, look at my clever (noob level clever) gas pipe breakout:

and because the game was so generous with slickster eggs this time, my noob level clever slickster ranch, with mesh tiles so the oil just drops to a collection area:

why do I need that interchange? for air services for the slickster ranch of course be cause I built it at the top of the colony, where else would you build it??

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hope you got like 10 coal generators running full time as well as never skimming CO2 or you're gonna starve those things to death.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Having issues with overloading wires now. I know I can use transformers to fix that but can I also use HV cables to distribute power power to rooms and run basic wires off of that or would that still overload the wires based on total power usage instead of usage over just that section of the wire?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
You'll end up using transformers because yeah you can in theory just run heaviwatt wires everywhere and ignore transformers but heaviwatt takes your decor rating out behind the wood shed and jacks it upside the head with a sledge hammer.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Hope you got like 10 coal generators running full time as well as never skimming CO2 or you're gonna starve those things to death.

No but I've got a lot of wood, and guess what makes a whole lot more CO2 than coal generators

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

RandomBlue posted:

Having issues with overloading wires now. I know I can use transformers to fix that but can I also use HV cables to distribute power power to rooms and run basic wires off of that or would that still overload the wires based on total power usage instead of usage over just that section of the wire?

You use a transformer between the regular and heavy watt wires, or else things get damaged when the wire network (of all touching wires) pulls >1kw. HW wire from generators and batteries to the xformer and then regular to appliances where you care about decor. Industrial equipment can benefit from being fed direct off the HWW (don’t waste an entire transformer for one piece of equipment).

Flesh Forge posted:

No but I've got a lot of wood, and guess what makes a whole lot more CO2 than coal generators

But assuming you want sustainable wood->ethanol you’ll need to take a bunch of that CO2 to make pwater to feed the trees. Unless you have another source of pwater like a slush.

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 16, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Or I could just burn the wood how bad could it be :shrug:
e: looking at the numbers on https://oni-db.com/details/woodlog it looks like wood burners produce slightly less CO2 per unit of wood but man that's a lot less loving around if you just want power and CO2
I am OK with it being less optimal, optimal really isn't my idiom

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 16, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

Except for the space part, that's exactly what tempshift plates do. Build a few and it's a radiator. Bonus, you can build it behind buildings.

Well yes I was more meaning perhaps a bigger effect radius and directional. So you can project heat into things or use it to vent it into space.

CainFortea posted:

Maybe this will help.

Equal heat applied to the bottom, this shows the spread of heat using tempshift plates.

Intensely unhelpful because one of the other things I dislike about the game is that it's quite hard to use a lot of the display modes when colourblind.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Well yes I was more meaning perhaps a bigger effect radius and directional. So you can project heat into things or use it to vent it into space.

Intensely unhelpful because one of the other things I dislike about the game is that it's quite hard to use a lot of the display modes when colourblind.

:( I would mod that if I had an SDK

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh there's not much you can do about it. That whole format of data presentation kinda falls apart when you don't have chromatic acuity.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I wrote a little C# WinForms application for my colorblind brother several years ago, all it did was take a screenshot 15 times a second and display it in a second window (like magnifier does, just at 1x zoom). But, when it drew the second window it would swap the R & B components. He was a graphic designer and ... it worked ...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can play with colours to make things more readable for some I guess but personally I just have poo poo acuity across the entre chromatic spectrum so no colour based readouts are particularly viable.

Imagine blurry vision except instead of the edges of things being indistinct, it's the colour. You can see broad strokes but nothing specific.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You could make it show numbers, it's all discrete tiles even if it looks like a gradient. Not that that would be easy to interpret but you could at least get something out of it and I am sure it wouldn't be really hard to implement, it's already in numerical form to begin with before it's converted to a color.*

*maybe the data being displayed is more complicated than it looks idk

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Numbers work though can suffer from readability issues just because a big pile of numbers is hard to read, you could also do some kind of extremely sensitive gradient showing hot/cold relative to the cursor position, but that is more of a different display to the "give a complete overview of everything on screen" which is what the view modes try to do.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CainFortea posted:

wow you weren't kidding, ALL THE CO2 IS GONE ALL THE WOOD IS GONE :siren:

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Yeah for the effort slicksters just don't produce enough oil to be worth building around them for it but as co2 eaters they are remorseless eating machines.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Tamed slicksters consume a loving ridiculous amount of CO2, just moving them and leaving them wild they consume a decent amount.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

wow you weren't kidding, ALL THE CO2 IS GONE ALL THE WOOD IS GONE :siren:

Yeah your oil pit is way too big. I have a fairly small slickster ranch supporting three slicks (fed by the exhaust from three coal generators, three methane generators and two plastic factories) and having a pit exactly large enough to fit the pump is more space than the oil needs, as it all gets pumped out immediately. I could probably easily fit a mini-pump in there instead if I wanted to open it back up.
A pit that size just means all your CO2 sinks below the mesh and starves your slicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Just as I started learning how to cool a base, I started a new Rime game, because I hate myself. What's sort of the long and short of how people got about heating their base up on Rime maps? I found a steam vent, and I could rig up a water heating system, but

1) I'm afraid of overheating, given the water is extremely hot
2) once I've heated up the base enough it seems like it would be easy to adapt the system to cool, but that seems wasteful

I'm only cycle ~30 so I've got a ways to go before automation, but I'm already running into sub zero areas that are proving troublesome.
I'm super paranoid about the eventual heat death of my base so I play rime exclusively now. I take everything really slow including dope count. Space heaters work for meal wood well enough as long as they're close.

Getting ice into 50kg chunks like someone said before and thrown into storage bins helps keep water supply high. I found the ice melts faster with a solid block under the bin rather than mesh even though the temps are exactly the same. No idea why.