Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Never meet your heroes.

Or let them near social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Indolent Bastard posted:

The correct head conversion is always banana head.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3744321

You see a banana I see a Corn Berzerker.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I have a signed Tennaple art book from before I knew he was a shithead :(

Its real nice and "art from artist" and all that, so I still have it. But he won't get another penny.

I love love love The Neverhood.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

moths posted:

Well poo poo, now I just hear "TERFworm Jim."

This is funny but he's not even a TERF. He's straight up a CHUD conservative Christian.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

richyp posted:

:rimshot:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I picked up a box of Enforcers for Necromunda and I'm building a squad (following the advice from Goonhammer's analysis)

However, I've also got a box of Genestealer Cult neophytes, and I was wondering if anyone's got advice for how to build a starter gang of them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I picked up a box of Enforcers for Necromunda and I'm building a squad (following the advice from Goonhammer's analysis)

However, I've also got a box of Genestealer Cult neophytes, and I was wondering if anyone's got advice for how to build a starter gang of them.

Talk to muggins.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Also have a box of Neophytes and a box of Acolytes and thinking of setting up a Necro GSC gang, count me interested as well.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

richyp posted:

No, that’s an entirely different model.

https://imgur.com/a/8eltXGi

E: gently caress is posting images with a phone annoying. Enjoy the link I guess.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 17, 2019

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Necromunda continues to be the best game. I played against another member in my campaign, who is certainly not having the best luck so far, and things got intense. I took out a couple models early on, thought I had the game well in hand, then one of his cnapions, armed with a plasma pistol and Fast Shot, simply took 4 of my fighters out in his own. We both bottled and eventually my last man standing, a champion, managed to take his hero out.

Funy side note: 3 models lost eyes in lasting injury rolls. My one who did, the model already has an eyepatch!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Torquemada posted:

Also have a box of Neophytes and a box of Acolytes and thinking of setting up a Necro GSC gang, count me interested as well.

I've got a Starn's Disciples box too, so I'm got those bits to work with (aside from those bits I'm going to use to recreate the kill-team - I suppose I'll be able to use them too).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Genghis Cohen posted:

Funy side note: 3 models lost eyes in lasting injury rolls. My one who did, the model already has an eyepatch!
Now you have to model another eye patch over the bare eye. WYSIWYG, it's the rules.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Necromunda continues to be the best game. I played against another member in my campaign, who is certainly not having the best luck so far, and things got intense. I took out a couple models early on, thought I had the game well in hand, then one of his cnapions, armed with a plasma pistol and Fast Shot, simply took 4 of my fighters out in his own. We both bottled and eventually my last man standing, a champion, managed to take his hero out.

Yeah, Mark has no luck.

But it's a Necro campaign where people are getting their games in.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

Yeah, Mark has no luck.

But it's a Necro campaign where people are getting their games in.

Yeah, I am happy with progress so far. Just need to get some good rounds in next weekend, as I'm off the week afterwards.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
https://www.goonhammer.com/necromunday-how-to-play-necromunda-we-promise-its-worth-it/

Week Two of Necromunday: A Primer!

Everyone’s got the same questions as a prospective player. Let us answer them for you, with our typical exuberance.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Merton Blask posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/necromunday-how-to-play-necromunda-we-promise-its-worth-it/

Everyone’s got the same questions as a prospective player. Let us answer them for you, with our typical exuberance.

All good stuff. One of the things I find you need to prime people for in Necromunda campaigns is how semi-random and impactful choice of scenarios or of terrain can be. Two pairs of players meet for a game, the one who chooses to defend Smash&Grab against a weaker gang can easily make 6d6x10 credits in scenario rewards, many other scenarios carry no cash reward for winning at all, or a piddling d6x10. That's leaving aside that some scenarios, by favouring one build of gang (shooty vs combat normally) can really leave one side half-crippled by injured or recovering fighters for the next round.

On that note, I gave out scenarios to two of my players for Sunday (yesterday). They were to play Shootout, followed by Ghast Harvest. Rationale was this was one player who has had rotten luck throughout, as mentioned a couple posts ago, and one who hadn't played yet in week 2 of the campaign. The first game was quite minor and would give the luckless guy a chance to recover his injured fighters from our previous slugfest. The Ghast Harvest should be fairly lucrative (I remember making 2-300 credits off it once before) so would pep up one or both of their gangs.

All good right?

Wrong.

First our luckless player lost the shootout and had a ganger and a champion critically injured, both survived with lasting injuries. He therefore still went into the next round with a slight disadvantage.

In Ghast Harvest, I think they probably set up the Ghast nodes (drug caches you loot during the game to win objective points and to gain credits for the campaign) in fairly accessible positions, because they were both harvesting away. Our luckless player bottled out on his first roll to do so. He must have rolled a 6, because he only had 1 casualty (critically injured AGAIN). Most of his gang ran off, the non-bottling gang kept harvesting. His gangers carrying loot just didn't run away. Now by the letter of the rules, he doesn't get any cash for their loot if they go Out of Action. So after a few turns of trying to not get killed, he voluntarily fled the field so as to salvage some income.

Ghast Harvest says that if one side voluntarily bottles, the other gets d3 loot counters (each worth d6x10 credits) per fighter remaining on the table. The winner still had all 7 of his girls up, because his opponent had bottled so quickly. Plus you still (RAW) get the loot you have gathered up to that point.

The winner cleared 1095 credits from the day. For context, if you make over 200 credits for a round of Necromunda (you gain income after playing each game) you've done drat well. The starting value of a gang is 1000.

I mean, I can write this into the campaign narrative, a new Ghast Rush will cause beautiful chaos in the Underhive, but I'm also a little wound up. I'm trying to keep the gangs on a fairly level playing field. I've arbitrated and modified RAW where necessary to do so. I obviously should not have given the players such a zany scenario without being there. But the rules are so drat loose! I mean, if you fail the roll to bottle, but later on decide to let your remaining fighters flee the table, is that even voluntarily bottling??? And D3xD6x10 per fighter!? Plus any other income gathered in?

So right now the winner of the Ghast harvest is sitting around 2100 Gang Rating. His nearest rival is on 1620, 3 more of us are 12-1300. I guess the Underdog bonuses I put in are going to get tested.

Necromunda is a terrific game, but the campaign play badly needs to be controlled step by step. And the scenarios are pretty badly thought out, both in objectives and rewards.

The luckless player (who has played 7 games, far more than anyone else) went from 1 Rep to 9, basically just from doing well in Rep, if nothing else, for Shootout. This game is stupid.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

gay for sex... with me?
Ghast Harvest is always a tricky mission, especially when one of the players is a bit more aware of the absurd amount of credits his gang can walk away with.

If there's a concern that injecting 1k+ creds into a single player's pocket may upend campaign balance even more than intended, consider replacing a decent chunk of that cash with doses of actual Ghast, from the new book.

Maybe it turns out he'd over-saturated the market after selling 600 credits or so of the stuff, and now he's left with a duffle bag full of product just rotting away in his stash, waiting to be used...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Ghast owns bones. Always get your boys casting spells and making bad decisions.

One thing I do really like about the new Necromunda is that you are limited on the number of guys you can run in any given scenario. Getting an extra 1k credits is obviously a big problem, but at least there is something mitigating it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Merton Blask posted:

Great stuff. I've been tempted to try and get something similar done for Adeptus Titanicus, there's so little actual info online..

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

food court bailiff posted:

I've mentioned this in the other thread but there are definitely scenarios that last longer than three battle rounds, many of them don't even activate any battlefield effects until turn 4.

This can be an issue especially for the Iron Golems from the starter who are slow and melee-focused but I've found you just don't want to get involved in slugfests like that at all, usually. Many of the objectives are going to make players want to cut and run from battles to hold objectives or keep key fighters alive. I haven't really had a game yet where it's come down to locking in and trading turns rolling dice at each other. You only have so many activations for your team! Why waste them pounding a puny 60 point model down instead of trying to win the game?

Yeah, only played a few games so far, and those with the cards for a mix of setup/objectives/terrain/twist, and we really didn't have any turn into straight up slugfests. Even the missions that were "kill this specific other dude" tended to only really turn into brawls to either punch a hole in a specific spot, and/or to kill faster units, so your fast guys could do an end run around and try to assasinate said target.

If anything, ability to avoid combat has seemed to be a stronger play in the bulk of the scenarios we've played so far. With the random deck, I'm not sure if that's a reasonable percentage or just luck, but we've had a decent chunk of missions involve grabbing some sort of treasure and holding it for X turns/until the end of Y turn/etc. Even with a small board, the shorter game length can make it challenging to corner the carrier and drop them in the time allotted.

I know the rulebook has more structured matched play and narrative scenarios, and some multiplayer setups that might be more slugfest-oriented, but I haven't tried any of those yet. We also haven't tried any campaign stuff yet, where there might be more advantage in some cases on taking out a particularly valuable unit, not sure. In either case, while I wouldn't call it super deep or anything, I've certainly not found "run forward into a scrum" to really be the default state, or even a particularly useful strategy, in the games thus far.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Drake_263 posted:

Great stuff. I've been tempted to try and get something similar done for Adeptus Titanicus, there's so little actual info online..

It's in the works!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Even better!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
TTCombat has put out some WarCry targeted mdf kits which look fantastic

https://ttcombat.com/collections/fantasy-realms

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Merton Blask posted:

Ghast Harvest is always a tricky mission, especially when one of the players is a bit more aware of the absurd amount of credits his gang can walk away with.

If there's a concern that injecting 1k+ creds into a single player's pocket may upend campaign balance even more than intended, consider replacing a decent chunk of that cash with doses of actual Ghast, from the new book.

Maybe it turns out he'd over-saturated the market after selling 600 credits or so of the stuff, and now he's left with a duffle bag full of product just rotting away in his stash, waiting to be used...

Good ideas, but in this case I feel a bit bad taking away the player's goodies after the fact. I would have capped his post-scenario rewards at about 500 without hesitation if I'd been there at the time, but it just feels like a buzz-killer afterwards.

If his lead in Gang Rating continues (he doesn't play much, in fact has just flaked on the weekend's game) I will organise some scenarios that give other players a fair chance against him.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Ghast owns bones. Always get your boys casting spells and making bad decisions.

One thing I do really like about the new Necromunda is that you are limited on the number of guys you can run in any given scenario. Getting an extra 1k credits is obviously a big problem, but at least there is something mitigating it.

It is a cool scenario, I just think it benefits from arbitration or very good appreciation of the rules and their effect on narrative play. To draw a parallel, I played Forgotten Riches the other day, where I and my opponent took turns placing loot crates, the objective being to seize them and run them off the board. Being not total idiots, we both placed our options in areas accessible to our deployment, while still in the allowed central area. So once the game started, some of our forces clashed but we both easily secured the loot crates we had dropped. In Ghast Harvest, I would have some concerns about profit-minded players just setting up the board in a way conducive to them just harvesting repeatedly so they can clean up.

The gang numbers, I agree with - I'd say the sweet spot is about 12 members, so you can still bring most to a big game, you have a couple alternate loadouts that are better suited to ZM or SM tables, and can stand a few injuries at any one time. Much more than that and you'd be better off making your fighters more elite.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Sorry for the double post - played a cracking 4(!) game session of Necromunda yesterday, the highlight of which was an Archaeo Hunters scenario. Both sides have to activate a 'tunnelling automate' - we used an Ambot - and break into a vault at one edge of the table. They then score points and credits for getting fighters inside. Some pics:

My fighters eventually managed to surround the Ambot and got it moving toward the objective.

Behind them, one of my Hunt Champions charged one of his and took him out. The opposing gang's leader rodded off the objective to use the terminal nearby (rules are in the Book of Peril), she rolled well and scored 5XP!

We had a great time, but overall the mission seems poorly thought out, as I seem to keep harping on about with Necromunda. You need to get right up to the automata to activate it, and do so for every move it makes. There's only one, in the centre of the board. It's really weird to partly or mostly ignore the enemy gang as they are trying to do the exact same thing. The mission would work far better if one side were attacking and one defending, or at least if there were multiple control consoles elsewhere which were used to activate/control the automata. Currently you have to play a game of trust in order to not just have a scrap around the automata and force one side to bottle out (in which case the game would probably end before the victor got anyone to the vault).

All this fighting has left my gang in much better nick - Gang Rating up to 2100. Lots of carapace armour, infra sight for my sniper, etc. I am using models I made for use in 40k as Inquisition types alongside Imperial Guard/Scions, this is a much better purpose for them. Mix of 3rd party bits, GW stuff, leader is FW.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
AeroImp pricing looks incredibly gentle.

$90 for the big box and $40 for each unit. Just want them to hurry up and sell me something other than imperium and orkz.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

AeroImp pricing looks incredibly gentle.

$90 for the big box and $40 for each unit. Just want them to hurry up and sell me something other than imperium and orkz.

How is this box cheaper than the Blackstone Fortress Escalation expansion?

$130 in Canada for Escalation. I know I pay a premium for GW but this is ridiculous.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Escalation has cards, which can be expensive to print, and thick cardboard board pieces.

And honestly, Aeronautica is not that much cheaper than Escalation, and all the BSF expansions are over-priced anyway.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

gay for sex... with me?
Me and The Sex Cannon are rounding out our breakdown of the Book of Judgment over on the ol' GH this week.

This is probably my favorite Necromunda release since the reboot, there's so much insane potential in here.

https://www.goonhammer.com/necromunday-whats-new-about-the-law-and-misrule-campaign/

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I have a question about Ambots. Namely, how should I arm them?

I'm making an Enforcer patrol and Genestaler Cult, and I figure I can give them both an Ambot. Should I arm them differently, if so how?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I thought for sure the uprising would be Scavvy gangs and possibly (finally) a model for King Redwart, but the skin & sinew stuff (and the model profile) seem more like a weird Khorne thing.

Suspense!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
It's cults Corpse Grinder, Chaos and GSC.

They want to do things that aren't outlanders in year 2 of necro.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I think we will probably see Ratskins sooner rather than later as they are mentioned a few times in the books so far, but I hope they mostly do new stuff. I am extremely hype for the Guilders to start getting models

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Is the plane game this thread? I'm going to post about it in here.

Our group already has War Cry and Adeptus Titanicus going on for the moment, but I was planning on picking up the box set so I could paint some planes as a break from human type models (Painted 14 Goblins and just finishing the Iron Golems at the moment) and thinking we could try out the game when Eldar and one other faction is released.

Only thing is I bet that the card packs will be gone fairly soon and I have no idea how useful those are going to be to playing the game. Everything else is probably safe - the ground objectives are plastic so GW will keep those in stock, rulebooks tend to hang around, they'll probably print another board along with the next campaign book and the dice, while cool, are just cosmetic.

So i'm wavering between just picking up the box or buying 2 card packs that i'm not even sure i'll use.

And next week they're putting a bunch of Gotrek books on pre-order so rip my wallet I guess.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MrFlibble posted:

Is the plane game this thread? I'm going to post about it in here.

Our group already has War Cry and Adeptus Titanicus going on for the moment, but I was planning on picking up the box set so I could paint some planes as a break from human type models (Painted 14 Goblins and just finishing the Iron Golems at the moment) and thinking we could try out the game when Eldar and one other faction is released.

Only thing is I bet that the card packs will be gone fairly soon and I have no idea how useful those are going to be to playing the game. Everything else is probably safe - the ground objectives are plastic so GW will keep those in stock, rulebooks tend to hang around, they'll probably print another board along with the next campaign book and the dice, while cool, are just cosmetic.

So i'm wavering between just picking up the box or buying 2 card packs that i'm not even sure i'll use.

And next week they're putting a bunch of Gotrek books on pre-order so rip my wallet I guess.

I'm not planning on getting the cards unless there's something important to playing the game included that I can't get elsewhere. But then I also try to avoid named characters and anything that looks like named characters for any reason so I can focus even harder on Muh Dudes, so I'm biased.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
- 18 Imperial Aircraft cards that are ideal references for use in-game for your Thunderbolts, Thunderbolt Furies, Marauder Bombers and Marauder Destroyers. Also includes the 'Blue Devil' and 'Executioner' named aircraft.
- 26 Aircraft Upgrade cards (including ejector seats, infrared targeting, armoured cockpits, and flares or chaff launchers)
- 36 Aircraft Weapon cards (including hellstrike missiles, skystrike missiles, and wing bombs)
- 6 Ground Defences cards (including hydra flak battery, and manticore missile battery)
- 8 Imperial Aces cards, including Dagor-Jarni, Gallus Barret and additional special rules.

Just the basic aircraft cards are going to be a very useful game aid, in my opinion.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Just the basic aircraft cards are going to be a very useful game aid, in my opinion.

Yeah, that was my thinking. If EG still has them in stock next saturday i'll order them along with the game and my gotrek books. If the gotrek model is released next week and is plastic like I saw on facebook then I can safely leave that for a while as well.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

- 18 Imperial Aircraft cards that are ideal references for use in-game for your Thunderbolts, Thunderbolt Furies, Marauder Bombers and Marauder Destroyers. Also includes the 'Blue Devil' and 'Executioner' named aircraft.
- 26 Aircraft Upgrade cards (including ejector seats, infrared targeting, armoured cockpits, and flares or chaff launchers)
- 36 Aircraft Weapon cards (including hellstrike missiles, skystrike missiles, and wing bombs)
- 6 Ground Defences cards (including hydra flak battery, and manticore missile battery)
- 8 Imperial Aces cards, including Dagor-Jarni, Gallus Barret and additional special rules.

I hadn't read the description and just sort of assumed it was mostly aces, that's way more worth getting.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just figured I would post a few progress pics of "De Rubrum Taurus" of Legio Vulpa that I am painting up. I'm really liking how it is turning out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

gay for sex... with me?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think we will probably see Ratskins sooner rather than later as they are mentioned a few times in the books so far

I really hope they take a good long look at Ratskins before bringing them back, as recently the GotU book they're still treating them as a direct import of the old Noble Savage tropes, right down to the firewater.

That said, it's Necromunday again! We're covering House Delaque today, head on over to goonhammer and check it out.

https://www.goonhammer.com/necromunday-houses-of-the-underhive-delaque/