Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What are some of the most overused words and phrases in wrestling promos? I feel like "The fact of the matter is..." has to be in the top five, especially when it comes to Triple H.

In the middle of the ring/squared circle

alternatively: in this very ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CUTTING THE RING IN HALF

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
METHODICAL

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i need tp for my bung hole!

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
YOU PEOPLE

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
bitch

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At this point YOU PEOPLE is an entire style of heeling

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

At this point YOU PEOPLE is an entire style of heeling

Yeah YOU PEOPLE is more a trope than anything, it’s the weird McMahon ticks that are the bad things that get annoying.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

harperdc posted:

Yeah YOU PEOPLE is more a trope than anything, it’s the weird McMahon ticks that are the bad things that get annoying.

nearby medical facility

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Saying a persons full name repeatedly

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"Please welcome my guest at this time"

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

oldpainless posted:

https://streamable.com/0gi2n

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"THE BIG DOG"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

IT'S BOSS TIME

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

- interviewer asks heel a question

- heel condescendingly repeats question

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

You know what, let me tell you something. You see, right now, [Wrestler's Full Name] has MY title around THEIR waist. And the fact of the matter is, when I pin [Wrestler's Full Name] 1-2-3 in the middle of the ring, it will be an HISTORIC occasion, without a shadow of a doubt. Because all these people (gestures to crowd) know that I am the REAL champion, I'm a FIGHTING champion, and I am the FACE of this COMPANY! I know it, you know it, and each and every one of these fans knows it! In fact, I don't want to wait until [PPV Name] this Sunday to beat [Wrestler's Full Name]'s rear end. Let's do it right here, right now, in this very ring, TONIGHT!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

oldpainless posted:

Or when they say full name and title, like they're making sure any first-time viewers get caught up. Vince being like, "my daughter, Stephanie McMahon, who is the general manager of Smackdown."

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
SUPERSTAR

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
One that they used to do a lot and that Russo took to TNA, as well, was my personal favorite, but has mostly gone away:

Interviewer: "Wrestler, could you explain your actions in..."

Wrestler: "EXPLAIN MY ACTIONS?!?!?"

It wasn't always "explain my/your actions," but that framework was used a LOT.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

davidbix posted:

One that they used to do a lot and that Russo took to TNA, as well, was my personal favorite, but has mostly gone away:

Interviewer: "Wrestler, could you explain your actions in..."

Wrestler: "EXPLAIN MY ACTIONS?!?!?"

It wasn't always "explain my/your actions," but that framework was used a LOT.

That still happens quite a bit, I feel like heel DBryan really like that one.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

You know what, let me tell you something. You see, right now, [Wrestler's Full Name] has MY title around THEIR waist. And the fact of the matter is, when I pin [Wrestler's Full Name] 1-2-3 in the middle of the ring, it will be an HISTORIC occasion, without a shadow of a doubt. Because all these people (gestures to crowd) know that I am the REAL champion, I'm a FIGHTING champion, and I am the FACE of this COMPANY! I know it, you know it, and each and every one of these fans knows it! In fact, I don't want to wait until [PPV Name] this Sunday to beat [Wrestler's Full Name]'s rear end. Let's do it right here, right now, in this very ring, TONIGHT!

Right here in [Town's Name]!

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

'Without a shadow of a doubt' always stands out for me, I think The Rock would use it a lot.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It's real simple, ya see everybody's been asking me why I did what I did. And the fact of the matter is this:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

It's real simple, ya see everybody's been asking me why I did what I did. And the fact of the matter is this:

YOU PEOPLE don't deserve an explanation!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I find it funny that they would always go out of their way to say "World Wrestling Federation" especially when referring to the title belts, but have only ever said "WWE" ever since the name change. I don't think I've ever heard a character say "World Wrestling Entertainment"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I find it funny that they would always go out of their way to say "World Wrestling Federation" especially when referring to the title belts, but have only ever said "WWE" ever since the name change. I don't think I've ever heard a character say "World Wrestling Entertainment"

They're not wrestlers anymore, says Vince.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

That's because they're just called WWE now. It is not short for World Wrestling Entertainment any more, the name is literally just WWE.

Because you know, wrestling is a dirty word.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So is belt.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

This reminds me of one of my favorite promo screw-ups. Terry Funk yelling, "Foley, I KNOW WHY you turned on Tommy Dreamer! What I want to know is WHY you turned on Tommy Dreamer!"

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Gavok posted:

This reminds me of one of my favorite promo screw-ups. Terry Funk yelling, "Foley, I KNOW WHY you turned on Tommy Dreamer! What I want to know is WHY you turned on Tommy Dreamer!"

I didn't see that one, but it sounds entirely on-brand for Funk.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrBling posted:

That's because they're just called WWE now. It is not short for World Wrestling Entertainment any more, the name is literally just WWE.

Because you know, wrestling is a dirty word.

It is short for World Wrestling Entertainment. This is the most bizarre conspiracy theory ever. I assume it started when they shortened their corporate symbol from WWFE to WWE but I don't get why.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MassRafTer posted:

It is short for World Wrestling Entertainment. This is the most bizarre conspiracy theory ever. I assume it started when they shortened their corporate symbol from WWFE to WWE but I don't get why.

quote:

On April 7, 2011, WWE, via the WWE Corporate website, announced that the company was ceasing use of the full name World Wrestling Entertainment and would henceforth refer to itself solely as WWE, making the latter an orphan initialism. This was said to reflect WWE's global entertainment expansion away from the ring with the ultimate goal of acquiring entertainment companies and putting a focus on television, live events, and film production. WWE noted that their new company model was put into effect with the relaunch of Tough Enough, being a non–scripted program (contrary to the scripted nature of professional wrestling) and with the launch of the WWE Network (at the time scheduled to launch in 2012; later pushed back to 2014). However, the legal name of the company remains as World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc

As far as they're concerned, WWE doesn't mean anything. It's just their name now.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Everyone knows WWE stands for "Double Double Ee"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrBling posted:

As far as they're concerned, WWE doesn't mean anything. It's just their name now.

They still use the full World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. name.

https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/us/wwe/SEC/sec-show.aspx?Type=page&FilingId=13584958-2334-3914&CIK=0001091907&Index=11000

or on any of their other releases

quote:

SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION

Washington, D.C. 20549

Schedule 13G

Under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934

(Amendment No.: 5 )*

Name of issuer: World Wrestling Entertainment Inc

It is still in all of their filings and it was on the post Raw stinger well after 2011. It's the legal name of the company as your release stated.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 16, 2019

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Doesn't change the fact that Vince hates wrestling and tries literally every superficial trick he can think of to not be considered the owner of a wrestling company.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah but lots of companies "change names" without actually changing their legal operating name. The legal operating name is World Wrestling Entertainment but as far as how they present themselves in the product it's WWE without WWE actually being initials for anything. To argue otherwise is just arguing semantics.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They should have always remained Titan Sports

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this is like the loving thing where people say Kentucky Fried Chicken officially changed its name to just the acronym KFC because they weren't legally allowed to call what they sell chicken

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
So you're saying Raw and Smackdown are so bad they can't legally call it wrestling, you may be onto something here

edit:

A question to make this not just a shitpost, I'm always amazed at what Zayn and Styles can do, who are some of the greatest of all time at selling moves?

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Kawada is my favorite seller ever. Dude was awesome at conveying that he was in the poo poo w/o being ridiculous or over the top.