Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Good. Though the only issue is with KOTM I don't see how Kong would really contest with giant nuclear lizard who defeated Ghidora, seems like a step down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sylink posted:

Good. Though the only issue is with KOTM I don't see how Kong would really contest with giant nuclear lizard who defeated Ghidora, seems like a step down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kong's explicitly established in Skull Island to be bigger and stronger than any incarnation before, and an adolescent who's yet to reach his full size. And he's also smart enough to punch above his weight. He might well be one of the most intelligent and independent Kaiju.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also there's no way he's the real antagonist for the movie

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also, he can throw poop. Godzilla has a notoriously weak stomach (from the radiation poisoning)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kong's explicitly established in Skull Island to be bigger and stronger than any incarnation before, and an adolescent who's yet to reach his full size. And he's also smart enough to punch above his weight. He might well be one of the most intelligent and independent Kaiju.

He's also way more agile. He can do tumbles, somersaults, flips, cartwheels, and jump and poo poo. Godzilla is a slow, lumbering thiccboi in comparison.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

He also has opposable thumbs and could shoot Godzilla with a gun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gunzilla....

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What if his full size he could use godzilla AS a gun

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I know everybody hates main guy but I really liked him, mostly because it was like seeing Coach Taylor deal with a kaiju level threat and honestly there’s no human I’d trust more to deal with a monster apocalypse than the Great Eric Taylor

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

holy poo poo

what if to defeat Mecha Ghidorah or Evil Jet Jaguar it whatever Godzilla and King Kong must form a megazord

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Invictus posted:

Godzilla vs King Kong, colorized:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think we all know that Kong vs. Godzilla will be similar to Batman vs. Superman where they have an early clash but then of course there will be a bigger threat that will force them to team up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mandrel posted:

I know everybody hates main guy but I really liked him, mostly because it was like seeing Coach Taylor deal with a kaiju level threat and honestly there’s no human I’d trust more to deal with a monster apocalypse than the Great Eric Taylor

The dad? I thought he was perfectly fine - seemed to be the only good human character in the entire thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

The dad? I thought he was perfectly fine - seemed to be the only good human character in the entire thing.

They went a little too hard in the need for a White Male Lead with him I think, but I do like that Monarch's kaiju experts are a bunch of disparate weirdos who are mostly guessing, as well as getting ideas from the military meatheads who happen to be in the room. The whole theme is that humans are trying to find ways to understand relate to the kaiju, and ultimately that they're probably overthinking it a bit.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
The Kaiju Are Alright ?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqE2AKhAWGc

I want one

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They went a little too hard in the need for a White Male Lead with him I think, but I do like that Monarch's kaiju experts are a bunch of disparate weirdos who are mostly guessing, as well as getting ideas from the military meatheads who happen to be in the room. The whole theme is that humans are trying to find ways to understand relate to the kaiju, and ultimately that they're probably overthinking it a bit.

I think Chandler does fine with the role they wrote, but I wish Serizawa had been the main lead in both movies. When he dies they could have handed it off to Chandler for the rest of it and Vs Kong, but Chandler should have been on the periphery for the first half.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Having rewatched the film I think my biggest problem is actually the camera work. I can put up with the dumb as hell story, I can put up with hyper competent dad and superfluous characters. I can even put up with hurricanes and blizzards obscuring stuff. The trouble is the camera is schizophrenic and the cinematographer can't decide on how to frame the film.

While I'm not a big fan of Gareth Edwards, his movies always have spot on camera work and he's one of the few modern day directors who still uses steadycam shots rather than shaky cam. But more importantly, his camera work in G14 followed specific rules, namely that any and all shots in the film look like they came from the eyes of a bystander, whether they're ground level, from a helicopter or from a Halo Jumper. It was consistent.

King of the Monsters can't decide whether it wants to keep the people's view of the monsters or if it wants to go for the old school Kaiju "arena framing" look where it's these big wide shots that establish the monsters, the terrain of the battlefield, and it's held back far enough to see what is going on. When it goes for the wide shots, these tend to be the best scenes in the film because you can actually tell what is going on. It doesn't help that Dougherty's cinematographer cannot do close up, person-eye view camera work to save his life. The camera is constantly moving around people, and it gets disorienting. The Antarctic fight seen through the Osprey window looks like it's trying to go for a Spielberg "frame within a frame" thing but the camera work is so frantic that it forgets what makes those scenes work so well (see the slow pan from the T Rex animatronic down into the Jeep to mask the transition from puppet to CGI in Jurassic Park).

This is a problem prevalent in modern cinema where things are done to excess when they don't need to be. Ghidorah pushing back Godzilla with his lightning beams transitions from an all CGI scene to Chandler and Hawkins running on a set and the green screened background is so busy with the fight that the two actors get swallowed up in the noise. Then Hawkins gets eaten and at first I didn't even realize Ghidorah had snapped her up because there's no transition from Ghidorah switching his attention from Big G to the humans. We see G fall, but no reaction from Ghidorah to get back to being a dick. All because they decided they needed to do this big sweep from CGI to set in one camera move when a few cuts here and there could get the point across.
You're not Spielberg, don't do a long take unless you can commit to it and maintain proper continuity in the scene. It'd be like that scene in Game of Thrones "The Bells" where Arya has her long tracking shot, except instead of seeing the dragon in the background gaining on them, the dragon came from the front and none of the characters showed any reaction until they were all burned alive (because they can't see what's not on the camera, ergo, what is being communicated to the audience).

The cinematographer should have picked a style and stuck with it, because the two don't mix well when the wide shots are done well and the claustrophobic close shots are done so poorly.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Having rewatched the film I think my biggest problem is actually the camera work. I can put up with the dumb as hell story, I can put up with hyper competent dad and superfluous characters. I can even put up with hurricanes and blizzards obscuring stuff. The trouble is the camera is schizophrenic and the cinematographer can't decide on how to frame the film.

While I'm not a big fan of Gareth Edwards, his movies always have spot on camera work and he's one of the few modern day directors who still uses steadycam shots rather than shaky cam. But more importantly, his camera work in G14 followed specific rules, namely that any and all shots in the film look like they came from the eyes of a bystander, whether they're ground level, from a helicopter or from a Halo Jumper. It was consistent.

King of the Monsters can't decide whether it wants to keep the people's view of the monsters or if it wants to go for the old school Kaiju "arena framing" look where it's these big wide shots that establish the monsters, the terrain of the battlefield, and it's held back far enough to see what is going on. When it goes for the wide shots, these tend to be the best scenes in the film because you can actually tell what is going on. It doesn't help that Dougherty's cinematographer cannot do close up, person-eye view camera work to save his life. The camera is constantly moving around people, and it gets disorienting. The Antarctic fight seen through the Osprey window looks like it's trying to go for a Spielberg "frame within a frame" thing but the camera work is so frantic that it forgets what makes those scenes work so well (see the slow pan from the T Rex animatronic down into the Jeep to mask the transition from puppet to CGI in Jurassic Park).

This is a problem prevalent in modern cinema where things are done to excess when they don't need to be. Ghidorah pushing back Godzilla with his lightning beams transitions from an all CGI scene to Chandler and Hawkins running on a set and the green screened background is so busy with the fight that the two actors get swallowed up in the noise. Then Hawkins gets eaten and at first I didn't even realize Ghidorah had snapped her up because there's no transition from Ghidorah switching his attention from Big G to the humans. We see G fall, but no reaction from Ghidorah to get back to being a dick. All because they decided they needed to do this big sweep from CGI to set in one camera move when a few cuts here and there could get the point across.
You're not Spielberg, don't do a long take unless you can commit to it and maintain proper continuity in the scene. It'd be like that scene in Game of Thrones "The Bells" where Arya has her long tracking shot, except instead of seeing the dragon in the background gaining on them, the dragon came from the front and none of the characters showed any reaction until they were all burned alive (because they can't see what's not on the camera, ergo, what is being communicated to the audience).

The cinematographer should have picked a style and stuck with it, because the two don't mix well when the wide shots are done well and the claustrophobic close shots are done so poorly.

I'm going to bet they probably did a lot of what you're complaining about in post-processing/editing. I don't think I'd blame the cinematographers too much, hard to tell in these CG movies who's responsible for what.

Personally I thought it looked pretty good, I didn't make note of the camera moving a lot while I was watching it. I do remember thinking I wanted to see more of the fight and less of the people, but I understand they're trying to make it about the human story too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That should suck, but it doesn't.

Captain Invictus posted:

thought you fellas might enjoy this, there's sometimes some decent stuff on mashup t-shirt sites and I like this one.

Link the loving shirt. Do it now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It was only available for 24 hours after that post, ript is one of those 24-hour pop-culture tee sites that puts up 3 designs a day and once the next day rolls over the prior 3 are retired forever, unfortunately. If you're interested I'd recommend signing up for their mailing list, they send out new designs via email at 1AM EST. Sometimes they revive old designs for limited (and more expensive) reruns. Teefury is another decent site for those types of shirts.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I think this is the one where the genitals are blurred out. If not, you can leave a comment with my assistant."

"It's not a coincidence that Monster Zero thing is headed here. It's reacting to Big Bird's cries. That means it's coming for food, a fight, or a f- Something more intimate."

I actually fell half-asleep during the Mothra/Rodan fight because everything started to look and sound the same, which was disappointing

Finally, someone put it into words!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Some of the jokes suck (mostly from the nerdy young guy, a character I didn't like), but even The Dark Knight had "have a nice trip, see you next fall" and "that's not good. okay, that's NOT good". I for one really enjoy the Rick character, though it sounds like most people hated him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rick is just an exposition dump and Zhang ziyi needed to tell him to shut up more. Chandler kept ripping on the nerdy dude but he should have told Rick to be quiet instead.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
for a wolf zoologist or whatever the dad didn't know gently caress all about wolf behavior, the 'alpha/beta/omega' thing is junk science from victorian zoos and has been discredited for like, 100 years. wolf packs are family groups, not a biker gang.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The dad is actually an MRA, tbh.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

The dad is actually an MRA, tbh.

So is Ghidorah for that matter. Two of the heads at the very least.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So is Ghidorah for that matter. Two of the heads at the very least.

Relevant
https://twitter.com/Lyserk_Acid/status/1163011745696235520

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope Kevin gets ported back to whatever Ghidorah project Toho eventually makes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The joke might be that Ghidorah really is the Three Stooges as a kaiju.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

thatbastardken posted:

for a wolf zoologist or whatever the dad didn't know gently caress all about wolf behavior, the 'alpha/beta/omega' thing is junk science from victorian zoos and has been discredited for like, 100 years. wolf packs are family groups, not a biker gang.

Are the giant flying atomic monsters junk science? Asking for a friend.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
It makes sense if you take at face value SMG's theory that Monarch are all a bunch of cranks operating off of junk science and making things up as they go

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

quote:

SMG's theory

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

UmOk posted:

Are the giant flying atomic monsters junk science? Asking for a friend.

atomic monsters aren't real, they can do whatever they like. wolves are real, and a supposed expert in their behavior should know that their social structures aren't hierarchical.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HannibalBarca posted:

It makes sense if you take at face value SMG's theory that Monarch are all a bunch of cranks operating off of junk science and making things up as they go

i mean that's almost literally text

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DragonDogFilmsG/status/1160286895861129216
https://twitter.com/beachcryptid/status/1161076112929284097

Momthra best Mothra

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
This Cleric of Mothra piece is pretty cool too:

From this deviantArt:
https://www.deviantart.com/cromwaits/art/Cleric-of-Mothra-801659129