Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I mean I get that dudes are fighting for a job but putting a guy back into the game after breaking his hand seems like a real bad idea!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

I mean I get that dudes are fighting for a job but putting a guy back into the game after breaking his hand seems like a real bad idea!!

Time honored tradition! At least it appears to have gotten slightly better than it was way back when, guys would come out with giant plaster casts that they would then use as clubs on offensive linemen.

Haha, I googled nfl cast used as club and of course it was the Raiders doing this.

quote:

Starting at about the 3:50 mark of the video, Phil Villapiano, a former Raiders linebacker, describes the work of George Anderson, the Oakland trainer, who created casts for players to use as weapons. Villapiano calls Anderson “the master of illegal pads.”

You can see Villapiano club O.J. Simpson in the head and smash him to the ground at the 4:45 mark.

Video on that old article seems to be down unfortunately.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/1162446530969776129

https://twitter.com/Raiders/status/1162449323285573633

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Anyone got a link for episode 2

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

https://www.hbo.com/hard-knocks

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Eric Weddle sounds like Patton Oswalt.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Was a good episode. I enjoyed the 30 second slow-mo closeup of a beautiful deep ball, then they pan out and it clangs off the open receiver's chest at the 2 yard line :lol: People covered most of the other highlights already.

Last year, literally all of the Browns fringe storyline guys got cut, right? I feel like history is against our buddies Doss and Maxxxxxxxtreme. Although as noted, Maxx was at least a fourth round pick and not a total nobody so maybe he sticks around with his club hand and tats.

Sataere posted:

I don't know how you can watch this and think Gruden isn't a good coach. He goes after guys hard, but then dials it back and lets them know he's pulling for them. When he asked the quarterbacks questions about their decision-making, he was very to the point. You can tell just by listening to him that he loving understands offenses. And he is very hands-on in dealing with quarterbacks. This might be the first season of Hard Knocks where I felt that type of knowledge was conveyed by a head coach. Frankly, I'm kinda amazed at just how bad he's making previous coaches look by comparison.

I think a lot of the Gruden criticism comes from his insane personnel decisions. Like he genuinely appears to think Nathan Peterman is a solid NFL asset and uhhhh. It's gonna take another couple years to fully decide if the Mack trade was actually a good idea. He has a penchant for washed veterans and people with very obvious mental health issues. etc.

Agreed he actually seems to come off pretty OK in terms of pure coaching, with the caveat that the show can be cut to tell whatever story they want to tell. And he clearly knows a ton about play design and scheming and whatnot. The question is whether those schemes can work in the modern NFL. Early returns indicate "they went 4-12 last year". But he can blame it on tanking to get "his guys" in the building. Well, he has those guys now. Other than QB he's had his chance to put his stamp on the roster pretty hard. So how the team performs going forward will be very interesting.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

He thinks he can develop Peterman, but every coach thinks they can fix guys. Every coach in every sport will talk about a guy that everyone else will find themselves thinking "what the hell is he talking about?"

The Mack trade still feels like it was a Mark Davis money issue and Gruden taking the blame for it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I hope to hell they have AB with some guy in his basement airbrushing some helmet.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sataere posted:

He thinks he can develop Peterman, but every coach thinks they can fix guys. Every coach in every sport will talk about a guy that everyone else will find themselves thinking "what the hell is he talking about?"

The Mack trade still feels like it was a Mark Davis money issue and Gruden taking the blame for it.

Even if it wasn't a cash flow issue, it was a cap space issue. My problem is that I'm not sure they maximized the value of those picks at all, but the trade itself had pretty good terms, at the very least you won't get much more regardless of how good a player is.

The Raiders had so many holes to fill that the Mack trade made sense for them with regards to the situation they were in. At the same time, if Mack was still around he would be taking their defense to the next level right now

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Every scene where Jon Gruden talks about Antonio Brown is amazing, the whole situation is so clearly driving him crazy. The face he makes and his tone of voice at that media meeting where he talks about AB "gathering clues and information" is gold. Can't wait for him to retire and make Gruden spontaneously combust on camera.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

that delivery of “Has anyone seen my friend Antonio Brown?” lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
AB should get himself one of the single chin bar helmets and refuse to take it off.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER
This season of hard knocks is finally going to eclipse the Jaguars season.

Hopefully in a good way. I still love Del Rio.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

brentson bucker is cool

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
imagine being named brentson buckner and not growing up to be a defensive lineman

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Yeah he's great, I actually started watching the 1st season of All Or Nothing on Amazon that followed the Cardinals a few years ago, and he was the D-line coach for them too! He seems pretty good at his job.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Frank Caliendo is still alive?

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

The Hunter Renfrow combine pic lmao

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

Frank Caliendo is still alive?

That was SOO cringeworthy.....

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Luke Wilson owns

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Also holy poo poo Jon Gruden doesnt know how to sing happy birthday

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

That ending was weirdly ominous

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Man Hunter Renfrow just gets poo poo lmao

Edit makes sense why that's chargers longsnapper got let go. Today

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

AB needs his own show where he just mixes various sports drinks.

Derek Carr is still a huge fuckin nerd

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Need a gif of gruden watching those glennon practice reps with disgust.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I like the candor from Waller. But man I really didn't need a reminder that Fight Club came out twenty years ago.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So that's why we cut our longsnapper

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

Man Hunter Renfrow just gets poo poo lmao
He was so embarrassed when they put that picture up.

Derek Carr rules

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Mexican Radio posted:

Need a gif of gruden watching those glennon practice reps with disgust.

Bonus:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention but where in the hell is Vontaze Burfict?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention but where in the hell is Vontaze Burfict?

He's not really an attention seeker, I wonder if he's even cleared to practice with his concussion history.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grittybeard posted:

He showed up for a second in episode 1. Otherwise he's been quiet.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet up till the moment he somehow manages to turn Carr into a quadriplegic in practice

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Professor Funk posted:

Luke Wilson owns

CubanMissile posted:

I like the candor from Waller. But man I really didn't need a reminder that Fight Club came out twenty years ago.

Apparently I am going to have to love the Raiders' Tight End room. Wilson seems like a giant fuckin goofball, and Waller is a cool redemption story :respek: (hope he doesn't Josh Gordon himself right back out of the league).

a neat cape posted:

So that's why we cut our longsnapper

lmao I didn't put the timing together but yeah. Imagine having a long and reasonably successful career (for an LS) only to abruptly go out because you did one very dumb thing in the preseason and then the 100 million dollar man made fun of you on TV. I think he was cut before Hard Knocks aired, but still, drat.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 22, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Yeah, I'm pretty surprised he got cut over a simple preseason mistake. A dumb one, but nothing serious happened. It's going to be hilarious if the Chargers have a bunch of special teams problems off of some bad snaps this season.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Also the AB saga hasn't played out on Hard Knocks like I imagined. But it's still fun watching the interplay between AB: "I am a totally normal and very calm, relaxed, reasonable dude (who is threatening to retire and forego 10s of millions of dollars if I can't use my preferred yet objectively lab-proven bad football hat)" and Gruden: "I want to strangle this shithead and bury him in a shallow grave behind PF Changs but he's my meal ticket so I gotta put on the least convincing nice face possible and deal with it".

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao mike glennon is still in the nfl?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao mike glennon is still in the nfl?

Technically? I mean, he's apparently in a dogfight for the backup job with Nathan "Nate" Peterman, and forced to endure sick "more like Glen-NECK, am I right guys?!?!??" burns from Frank Caliendo. Things aren't exactly coming up Glennon.

He seems condemned to that third string QB tier who somehow hang around for like 10-15 years working their asses off but never accomplish a goddam thing. At least he already made his nut on that comical Bears contract before the equally comical Trubisky trade-up. So he can suck all he wants and still retire with more in the bank than any of us ever will :smith:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Glennon was tearing it up the first game, which tells you all you need to know about preseason football