Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Owlbear Camus posted:

yeah getting hudson to name check sa rules.

:saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Owlbear Camus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy1OhtQQRik

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hicks, sir. He’s Hudson.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dude probably just woke up from the drop ship descent, give him a break

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got a bad feeling about this drop

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

I got a bad feeling about this drop

You always say that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Alright when we get back without you I'll have sex with your folks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Probably the best marine banter in Aliens that needed no explanation is the 'Arcturian poontang' bit.

Unfortunately someone went ahead and created a description of Arcturian biology and society in one of the comics or novels (actually it might be in the USCM Technical Manual).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

Probably the best marine banter in Aliens that needed no explanation is the 'Arcturian poontang' bit.

Unfortunately someone went ahead and created a description of Arcturian biology and society in one of the comics or novels (actually it might be in the USCM Technical Manual).
You’re probably thinking of the old Leading Edge ‘Aliens’ RPG, it’s the only time they’re brought up.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I always assumed "Arcturian poontang" was just human women living on Arcturus/Arcturia. Kind of like if you said "I'm getting me some Albertan poontang" it means you're gonna hook up with some chick from Canada.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

The flatwoods monster is an great lay.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Android Apocalypse posted:

I always assumed "Arcturian poontang" was just human women living on Arcturus/Arcturia. Kind of like if you said "I'm getting me some Albertan poontang" it means you're gonna hook up with some chick from Canada.

You might be right, if the side effect of living in Alberta is that you grow a second set of primary sex organs.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

"How many drops is this for you, Lieutenant?"

Yeah this thread activity made put Aliens on in the background. What a shame!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The whole exchange is part of the larger Vietnam War allegory where soldiers would hook up with transgender Thai “ladybois”. “Yeah but the one you had was a male!”

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Xenomrph posted:

The whole exchange is part of the larger Vietnam War allegory where soldiers would hook up with transgender Thai “ladybois”. “Yeah but the one you had was a male!”

This actually makes tons of sense. That line always made me assume that there were other species we never saw. But I also knew it was just flavor for the environment and not something to be expanded on in a book or whatever.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lil Peeler posted:

This actually makes tons of sense. That line always made me assume that there were other species we never saw. But I also knew it was just flavor for the environment and not something to be expanded on in a book or whatever.

You can go either way with it - maybe there are a bunch of transgender prostitutes on Arcturus, or maybe there are supremely fuckable sexually-ambiguous extraterrestrials. :shrug:

For what it’s worth, there is extraterrestrial life in the Alien universe, but it’s not like it’s Star Trek or Star Wars with a galactic federation or a billion sentient races or whatever. There’s enough indigenous life that the Marines get called in on “bug hunts” to kill infestations of space-raccoons that are eating all the power lines and making GBS threads on everyone’s lawns or whatever and the colonists can’t deal with it (the Marine dropship has nose art that says “WE ENDANGER SPECIES”); extraterrestrial life isn’t something that people really bat an eye at, and even intelligent/semi-sentient life isn’t unheard of even if it tends to be really rare or long-dead by the time humans stumble across it. You can probably list off every intelligent species depicted in the Alien universe on one hand, and about half of them are depicted as either being long-dead or the story has no humans in it so it’s unknown if humanity even knows they exist.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
So does this mean alien life was discovered before Alien? If that's the case the overall sensation of seeing the xenomorph by the Nostromo seems dulled a little bit.

"Oh an alien? Kinda weird & nothing like we saw before, like those gloopy tar things on Vagra II."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Prometheus and Covenant are not canon.

Someone should hit Ridley Scott over the head and take 'his' franchise away from him.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So does this mean alien life was discovered before Alien? If that's the case the overall sensation of seeing the xenomorph by the Nostromo seems dulled a little bit.

"Oh an alien? Kinda weird & nothing like we saw before, like those gloopy tar things on Vagra II."

Alien life got discovered in ‘Prometheus’, which was before ‘Alien’. :v:

I mean even in ‘Alien’ the characters aren’t that enthusiastic about what’s going on, when you’d think they’d be tripping over themselves to be the first people to find alien life. Parker and Brett don’t even want to investigate until Ash reminds them that they’ll forfeit their shares if they do - when the company handbook has standard operating procedures for extraterrestrial life (right down to how it impacts your paycheck), first contact probably happened a while ago.

But even if the characters are going “ho hum, another detour to look at space aliens” they still had never seen anything like the Xenomorph and definitely weren’t prepared for it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mister Speaker posted:

Someone should hit Ridley Scott over the head and take 'his' franchise away from him.

Ooh, don't say this in Cinema Discusso. It makes 'em real mad.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ooh, don't say this in Cinema Discusso. It makes 'em real mad.
It actually just came up in CineD a couple days ago, it was a lot more civil than it usually goes. :suicide:

Oh yeah if you like Michael Biehn and you like videogames, do yourself a favor and play Far Cry: Blood Dragon, it’s :krad:

Also I can’t personally vouch for it yet but he and Lance Henriksen recently worked on an audio drama based on William Gibson’s rejected Alien3 script draft. I’m planning to listen to it this weekend.

Alien III: An Audible Original Drama https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QY1BGD1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.YZvDb5ZKP5AV

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

So Aliens just finished and it struck me that Carrie Henn is now in her loving 40's, and our favourite Sigourney is almost 70.

Where does the time go? :smith:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
We're stuck traveling the river the slow way, rather than hopping into a comfy cryo-pod.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Xenomrph posted:

You can go either way with it - maybe there are a bunch of transgender prostitutes on Arcturus, or maybe there are supremely fuckable sexually-ambiguous extraterrestrials. :shrug:

David Drake had something like that in his Hammer's Slammers books. Genefran flirts.

Sci-fi gets really weird sometimes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Honest opinion: When Ridley Scott adds his canon to his previous works, it's usually to their detriment. I always hated the "Iz Deckard be a replicant?" poo poo in Blade Runner. gently caress OFF, RIDDLES.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PhotoKirk posted:

David Drake had something like that in his Hammer's Slammers books. Genefran flirts.

Sci-fi gets really weird sometimes.

I hesitate to think of what real life incident he's drawing from. Probably something where you could throw a dozen darts at the UCMJ and each one hits a relevant charge,

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hey guys.

Michael Biehn said my name.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

etalian posted:

looks like they made a Aliens anime lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU08-wEBouo

Ha! I watched this like a month ago and kept meaning to post about it and entirely forgot, so thank you

It's funny because I heard about it from someone talking about super violent and gory anime, but... eh. It had a few moments, but I've seen far worse. I liked the plot though, and the soundtrack is good!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

It actually just came up in CineD a couple days ago, it was a lot more civil than it usually goes. :suicide:

Oh yeah if you like Michael Biehn and you like videogames, do yourself a favor and play Far Cry: Blood Dragon, it’s :krad:

Also I can’t personally vouch for it yet but he and Lance Henriksen recently worked on an audio drama based on William Gibson’s rejected Alien3 script draft. I’m planning to listen to it this weekend.

Alien III: An Audible Original Drama https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QY1BGD1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.YZvDb5ZKP5AV

Is it worth getting an Audible account for this?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Xenomrph posted:

But even if the characters are going “ho hum, another detour to look at space aliens” they still had never seen anything like the Xenomorph and definitely weren’t prepared for it.

They don’t take anything approaching a weapon with them to explore the ship, and when it becomes obvious they need one it takes a while to fabricate one. This isn’t a society that has had lots of encounters with dangerous life forms, as apart from the (subverted) quarantine procedure, no one acts or behaves as if there’s even a possibility of danger. I’m probably just overthinking a basic horror movie trope (lone teenager exploring weird noise in basement).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Ha! I watched this like a month ago and kept meaning to post about it and entirely forgot, so thank you

It's funny because I heard about it from someone talking about super violent and gory anime, but... eh. It had a few moments, but I've seen far worse. I liked the plot though, and the soundtrack is good!

You need to watch the credits. Yoshitaka Amano, later responsible for character designs for the pre-VII Final Fantasy games, worked on that and you can see it in a lot of the characters.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Torquemada posted:

They don’t take anything approaching a weapon with them to explore the ship, and when it becomes obvious they need one it takes a while to fabricate one. This isn’t a society that has had lots of encounters with dangerous life forms, as apart from the (subverted) quarantine procedure, no one acts or behaves as if there’s even a possibility of danger. I’m probably just overthinking a basic horror movie trope (lone teenager exploring weird noise in basement).

They did actually have pistols with them, they're just not very obvious and the film doesn't draw any attention to them. The flamethrower was cobbled together because the crew needed a way to drive the alien to the airlock without causing it to piss acid everywhere.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Young Freud posted:

You need to watch the credits. Yoshitaka Amano, later responsible for character designs for the pre-VII Final Fantasy games, worked on that and you can see it in a lot of the characters.

Cats give the Lily Cat anime a 0/5 star rating.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vagabundo posted:

Is it worth getting an Audible account for [the Alien3 audio drama]?

At the risk of sounding like a sponsored YouTube video, I’d say so (especially since Audible does 30 day free trials). I’ve been going through it and it’s way, way better than the comic. It’s like they took the script and expanded it so it’s paced better and makes more sense.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Vagabundo posted:

Is it worth getting an Audible account for this?

That plus the movie novelizations and other Alien universe novels are pretty good.
Alien: Cold Forge and Alien: Sea of Sorrows were enjoyable.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Why did you join the Colonial Marines, Private?

I wanted to travel to far off worlds, and meet interesting and exotic beings from an ancient extraterrestrial civilization, and gently caress them.
I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed female Arcturain.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jay_Zombie posted:

That plus the movie novelizations and other Alien universe novels are pretty good.
Alien: Cold Forge and Alien: Sea of Sorrows were enjoyable.

The ‘Aliens’ novelization audiobook is read by William Hope, aka Lt. Gorman.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The ‘Aliens’ novelization audiobook is read by William Hope, aka Lt. Gorman.

He reads a couple of them I think.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jay_Zombie posted:

He reads a couple of them I think.

Uhhh... including this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Somebody wake up Hicks.