Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Endorph posted:

No, Claude's relic is Failnaught. Anyone can use the sword without a damage penalty, and they still regen HP every turn, its just like 1-2 less HP per turn.

Fear God and Fail Naught

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Supremezero posted:

To be fair Amyr spam is a good and extremely powerful strategy. I cut off 3/4s of the final bosses health in a single round with it.

That's why I said 'barring Amyr Spam'. I might have killed Dedue and Dimitri turn 1 with Eldegard

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

Felix has an awesome strength growth so if he’s hitting that it can offset the weight. his defenses are paper so having the Aegis/Pavise effect is helpful

Felix doesn't need defense if nothing can hit him.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I'm throwing up my hands and asking for help because I don't understand how the Battalion mechanic works. It says I've unlocked so and so, but they don't appear in my menu to hire. They do appear in my menu to dismiss. What is happening?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

SolarFire2 posted:

I'm throwing up my hands and asking for help because I don't understand how the Battalion mechanic works. It says I've unlocked so and so, but they don't appear in my menu to hire. They do appear in my menu to dismiss. What is happening?

Are you looking for them in the battalion shop or your inventory

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SolarFire2 posted:

Battalions are like equipment. Once you buy one, they're in your inventory, and you can assign them to a character by going to Inventory > Battalions.

When a battalion is assigned, the character it's assigned to gets bonuses to some stats and can use the battalion's gambit.

A character needs a minimum Authority rank to equip a given battalion. As the character takes damage, the battalion will lose stamina, which you can replenish at the battalion guild. If the battalion runs out of stamina they'll retreat and you won't get the benefits any more.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

SolarFire2 posted:

You can use Inventory -> Battalions to equip the battalions. The menu at the battalion guild is the "barracks" of battalions that have been hired but not assigned to anybody (and are therefore sellable). When you complete a prologue and earn a battalion or whatever, it's not unlocking them for hire, just dumping them straight into the inventory.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Detective No. 27 posted:

Felix doesn't need defense if nothing can hit him.

Sure that sounds all well and good until a 29% hits him and he takes 28 damage

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
ok thief dimitri is hilarious

because it just bumped his speed up 2 points, and then to 13 from thief bases, and now he can double things

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Thanks all for the help.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Monday morning, while sipping my coffee and playing a round of Into The Breach, I decide to buy this game everybody seems to be talking about. Never played one of these before, looks interesting. I have the week off, and the plan is to do a bunch of stuff that has been piling up. I start up this game and it loving consumes me. That's the proper word to describe what happened with this week. jfc

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm 140 hours in and I dont know how i got here

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm 140 hours in and I dont know how i got here

You drank too much tea.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Welp sorry children, only Dorothea, Ignatz and a couple of you were good enough to win the lottery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAZqE2DnxUI

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

GhostDog posted:

Monday morning, while sipping my coffee and playing a round of Into The Breach, I decide to buy this game everybody seems to be talking about. Never played one of these before, looks interesting. I have the week off, and the plan is to do a bunch of stuff that has been piling up. I start up this game and it loving consumes me. That's the proper word to describe what happened with this week. jfc

Welcome, friend.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

GhostDog posted:

:same:
welcome to hell! welcome to hell!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

the only times i've really stopped playing have been like

a) gym
b) work
c) sleep
d) the day before having to interview or take tests, after which i go hog wild

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Is attribute growth based on class or on character?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

It's both. Characters have their own rates, Classes have their own rates, these get added together for the final rate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

Both, but it's 90% character-based.

Basically, growths are per character, and are a percentage. The percentage is the exact chance for that stat to go up. So a character with a 50% hp growth has a 50/50 chance of HP going up. Classes add or substract 5-10% from a few stats. Growths are generally in the 30%-70% range, so the modifiers from class don't matter too much.

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/growth-rates/

This page has every character's growth rates, if you want to see them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Speaking of older games, I decided to replay Awakening, and it's quite a bit harder than Three Houses on Hard. Everything seems to just hit now instead of the early game hovering at around 70% hit rate for everyone, friend or foe. I've had to restart so much. It seems I entirely forgot what I was doing so any tips for an idiot? :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

Speaking of older games, I decided to replay Awakening, and it's quite a bit harder than Three Houses on Hard. Everything seems to just hit now instead of the early game hovering at around 70% hit rate for everyone, friend or foe. I've had to restart so much. It seems I entirely forgot what I was doing so any tips for an idiot? :v:

use frederick

if you continue having difficulty, use him more

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

awakening becomes an order of magnitude easier if you use the pair up feature

like i was hellbent on chrom and girl robin pairing up from the beginning so it was easy throughout for me on hard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also yeah theres almost never any reason to not be paired up (olivia and healers are really the only characters who dont care about being paired up) so always be paired up

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Awakening difficulty drops off a cliff after the first arc as well.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Help, I unlocked the dark merchant and now I'm addicted to forged magic weapons.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So for pairing up, do I just want the melee character as the active one? So like for Chrom/Robin have Chrom running around on the map? Or is it just the unit that gets the kill that gets the exp so you'll need to swap em? I'm planning on doing Chrom/Robin cause if the game forces me to be straight I may as well have my daughter be Lucina.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

So for pairing up, do I just want the melee character as the active one? So like for Chrom/Robin have Chrom running around on the map? Or is it just the unit that gets the kill that gets the exp so you'll need to swap em? I'm planning on doing Chrom/Robin cause if the game forces me to be straight I may as well have my daughter be Lucina.
The back character gets EXP too, not as much as the main character but enough to keep up so long as you swap them occasionally. Generally you don't want to pair up like, melee/ranged, but just based on what stat boosts characters give. So give people who need help doubling characters that boost speed, give people who already double +str and +def, give mages +mag, etc.

You can also pair up a flier and a land unit, put the flier in the lead, fly somewhere, then swap before ending the turn. This is why Sumia/Frederick breaks the first third of the game.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I want this and love my RPGs but $60 full price is a bit steep. About how many hours is an average playthough? Debating to buy it now or wait for my next paycheck.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DropsySufferer posted:

I want this and love my RPGs but $60 full price is a bit steep. About how many hours is an average playthough? Debating to buy it now or wait for my next paycheck.

Depends on how deep you go into the school stuff. I got 50 hours on the shortest route, for whatever that's worth.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DropsySufferer posted:

There absolutely is more than enough game for your buck. I had like 70 hours on my first playthrough on the quickest route, but I made it a point to run around, get all incidental dialogue, don't skip animations, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DropsySufferer posted:

40-60 hours, plus the game has four routes with a significant amount of differing content on each. (later playthroughs are much shorter though since there is shared content you're free to skip over and you obviously know how to do things more quickly)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly feel like letting battle animations play out, but holding the a button so they go faster, is faster than turning them off because even if yo udo that they still slowly do the whole motions of doing everything on the map instead of very quickly ramming into each other

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rannum posted:

Honestly feel like letting battle animations play out, but holding the a button so they go faster, is faster than turning them off because even if yo udo that they still slowly do the whole motions of doing everything on the map instead of very quickly ramming into each other
go to options and change game speed to fast

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

rannum posted:

You can also fast forward the map-only animations

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tae posted:

You can also fast forward the map-only animations

I swore I tried that and it didn't work
Hope my pro controller's a button isnt getting weird

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
What should I spend my leftover renown on in NG+ ? Prof level?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

You can easily buy your A+ professor level back as well as any A supports with anyone you want to poach immediately

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
The renown costs are set to 500 per rank increase for skills, inc. Professor, so it can be worth it to chill for a bit to get easy e+ ranks before blowing your renown. The first prof level in particular is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just got to the part where Byleth fuses with Sothis on GD and goddamn do I love Claude. Everybody in BL just accepted it without any explanation, meanwhile Claude is all "yo what the gently caress" and when you explain to him what happened he immediately starts trying to piece together what it means. I love how he's like the only person in the entire goddamn game who refuses to take all the crazy poo poo happening at face value and keeps trying to dig for the truth.