Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spiffness posted:

DB killers are good.

Unrelated, the exhaust for my RSV4 came.

So, hearing aids next week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
man how is the rsv4. i want to try a tuono rr so bad

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's real real good.

It's a 2013 Factory APRC Z3n picked up for lolol cheap and buddy dealed off to me to use as a track bike.

Have a buddy with a 17' Tuono and it may be the finest motorcycle on sale today IMO. 9/10ths the speed of the RSV4 but effortless and comfortable on street and track.

The RSV4 is an absurd bike for the street but phenomenal on a race track.

Now that the last parts have arrived I'll box up all the pretty street plastics and begin the conversion to track bike. New painted plastics, rear sets, said $60 Chinese knock off SC exhaust and Race ECU.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i think you made a solid call, exhaust is the only thing either of those bikes need to complete their look

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gorson posted:

Dual-sported my WR250X with some TKC-80's.

Your bikes are cool and good.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

the drain valve and the hose that it drains through require no tools and dont soil the entire inside of the left cowling.

Wait. Like you put a quick valve on your oil drain bolt for fast oil changes? That sounds way too convenient

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I noticed earlier this week that my outside clutch plate had dings around the OD, so I pulled the engine cover off today to see if, in the laundry list of mods by the PO, they had done the starter chain tensioner fix and the dings were just really old.

They hadn't and they're not.

Looks like I'm ordering parts tomorrow!

E: with any luck the new gasket I put on today will be easier to scrape off than the likely decades-old one that was on there.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Wait. Like you put a quick valve on your oil drain bolt for fast oil changes? That sounds way too convenient

Price was 28 Euro. Made in Germany by a company called Stahlbus.

They also make check valve brake bleed screws that you can bleed without a second person or air tools.

That's the next thing on my list.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 1, 2019

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Yesterday I took the bowls back apart, got the needle vale, main jet, pilot jet, drain plugs, etc. off the '78 GS750.
Here they all are enjoying a good soak in some carb cleaner (it turns out I did have a bit of a can left).

While taking them out I noticed that the O-rings were rather gummer. You can see how they are less "O" and more "smooshed" on the main jet.
So I didn't risk loosing anything, I did put the carb back together, but I have a carb O-ring kit ordered to replace all of those. Every O-ring I encountered in there had that same gummy texture and I figured better to take care of them all now while I have it out.

I was able to get the pilot jets clear, so I think the engine might be able to actually run. We'll find out after the new rings come.

What was left after their soak and clean:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A few details to tidy up but track only conversion is nearly complete and our next go-fast day is booked for a week from now. Yusssssss

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Took it out for a ride and then put it up for sale. Not sure what I'll go for next but turns out the CBR's ergonomics and my particular brand of hosed up back/hips just don't play nice anymore :( But hey if anyone's in the market for an F3...

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

bought a new shinko 705 for my trip to banff here in a month or so. old one made it 8500mi :D

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Insured it :)

Only two steps until I can go hit parking lots. Safety and plating.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

I bit the bullet and just got a carburetor rebuild kit for the '78 GS750.
I don't think anything other than the O-rings really needed replacing, but the gaskets were a little rough and the rebuild kit cost about the same as gaskets alone, so I figured it couldn't hurt.

I did find that someone must have tightened at least one of the mixtures screws with as much force as they could muster. The needle had a spiral gouge in it.
So mixtures screws replaced, pilot and main jets replaced, O-rings replaced on the bowl drain plugs.

I cleaned out the air cleaner thoroughly and found that there was no gasket between the air filter and where it was supposed to seal, so there was a good 1/4 inch of open space between the two.

I couldn't find anyone selling JUST that gasket, so I made my own out of some one sided reinforced adhesive foam.
Before getting it fully put in place:

Much better:

Found the gear position sensor wasn't hooked up, I guess the PO didn't care for it.
Works just fine:

I took it for a quick test ride around the block.
I'll need get the carbs adjusted and I didn't push it beyond 35, but the engine feels strong.

Really all that's left is get the chain guard back on, the trim pieces, and an oil change and I think it will be ready to roll (other than properly cleaning it up).

Not bad for a $900 motorcycle plus maybe $200-300 in additional parts, considering the PO originally wanted $1,200 for it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I changed the front and rear sprockets ....and I only decided to change the front sprocket after I removed the chain :downs:

The engine sprocket nut was torqued to like a trillion foot-tons too. Hopefully I never have to struggle with that again.

I didn’t install the new chain since I need to take both wheels off to get the tires replaced and balanced, but after that I should be mostly done with the “overhaul” minus valve adjustment.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The '78 GS750 now has all of its trim back on. I rode it to the local motorcycle shop so they can tune the carburetors and double check everything else.
I did check the chain slack and alignment, but it felt like there was a tiny bit of wobble so I figured I'll have the pros take a look at that as well.

As far as the '94 Ninja 250, after I filled the gas tank last time I added some Star Tron fuel treatment. After putting some miles on it, I found it seems to be able to rev above 11,000 rpm just fine now, where it was just not willing to go above before. I guess it was that jet.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

right arm posted:

bought a new shinko 705 for my trip to banff here in a month or so. old one made it 8500mi :D

old tire after 8500mi:

new tire:

also cleaned the chain. ready for Banff here in a month now!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, I hosed up installing my connecting link on new chain. I guess my crappy tool wasn't centered right and it split one of the rivets while I was mushrooming out.

I put in the crappy clip link but ordered a replacement. I'll get the guys to rivet it for me when I take the bike in for safety next week. Learning experience though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Clip links vs rivet links are a huge :can: here in particular but IMO if you're putting it on a low-powered bike (you are), you install the clip in the correct orientation, and you keep the chain oiled and properly tensioned, it will be fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m fully on board the “rivet supremacy” bandwagon but I just wanted the chain on the bike instead of on the ground. I don’t actually plan to ride the bike until they replace the link :)

Edit: what a big lie, I’ve been scooting up and down my driveway practicing my clutch. That’s “riding”, right? :smith:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Rivit supremacy for certain, except the common case of exactly what happened to you. That's why I always order an extra for when I break the first one.

Clip type is fine, though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My dual sport is clip link, and it does fine on the highway and pretty rough trail riding.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Rebuilt the lighting system into the rally fairing, as well as installing a dry box that houses an also-new phone charger for longer trips.
The charger runs off the (redundant) high beam switch and works great.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shelvocke posted:

Rebuilt the lighting system into the rally fairing, as well as installing a dry box that houses an also-new phone charger for longer trips.
The charger runs off the (redundant) high beam switch and works great.

Pictures?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
My (new to me) '97 Nighthawk has a master link chain. I'd be suspicious but the chain's at something like 80% of the way to the wear indicator so I think I'm good at this point.

Today I put on an OEM "main stand" (center stand). It sticks out a bit far on the left because there's supposed to be exhaust on both sides. I had to bodge my own bump stop to keep it from swinging up to the chain too (it's supposed to be stopped by the left-side exhaust). Just one more reason to keep an eye out for an OEM exhaust and trade out this Yoshi 4-to-1 for it.

I also put new plexiglass on the fairing. No idea why it took Rifle two months to ship it to me. Now I can stick on all the Iron Butt stickers I've been saving up. :dance:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ulf posted:

My (new to me) '97 Nighthawk has a master link chain. I'd be suspicious but the chain's at something like 80% of the way to the wear indicator so I think I'm good at this point.

I think you've posted a photo before but that's an incredibly handsome nighthawk.

I think all chains are master link, the difference is whether the master is clip or rivet.

That 4-into-1 seems good unless it's stupid loud - maybe replace the can rather than go stock? Must be a way to adapt the center stand without going dual exhaust

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Yep, I meant clip. I'm used to bicycles where "master link" is the term they use for the clip assembly, maybe it's different in motorcycles.

mewse posted:

That 4-into-1 seems good unless it's stupid loud - maybe replace the can rather than go stock? Must be a way to adapt the center stand without going dual exhaust
It's not super loud, it just sounds "sporty" being a Yoshimura, and I prefer quiet exhausts (the electric bike to its left is just about at my ideal noise level). In my experience Honda OEM exhausts are on the muted side, and I like the megaphone look of the original. Just replacing the slip-on might be a good idea though.

The biggest problem right now is that the spring for the centerstand stretches against it and I'm worried it could cause a problem some day. I got the centerstand so that I could do chain maintenance / fix flats during long rides. Seems all right so far though, and maybe I can bend something out of the way.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Rode it.

The weather's been shitful here in Melbourne the last few weeks (and my mental weather's been pretty ordinary to match, tbh), but today was real nice.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Why you ppl so afraid of clip masters? If they were so dangerous they wouldn’t sell them. I probably wouldn’t put one on an h2r but I’ve run one on my drz and done all sorts of stuff on and off road with no probs

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

because rivets are far more permanent and take like an extra 2 minutes to install compared to a clip

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

yeah but what if you're a dumbass that didn't do homework on transmission ratios, sprocket sizes, and chain lengths to figure out an optimal final drive ratio for both a dirt and sm setup so now you have to swap chains when you swap wheel sets and I'm wondering what's everyone's take on re-using clips over and over?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I reuse clip links fairly frequently, the service manual tells you to go ahead and do it, I'd replace them fairly regularly though, the clip will eventually lose the appropriate spring tension though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

yeah but what if you're a dumbass that didn't do homework on transmission ratios, sprocket sizes, and chain lengths to figure out an optimal final drive ratio for both a dirt and sm setup so now you have to swap chains when you swap wheel sets and I'm wondering what's everyone's take on re-using clips over and over?

My rule of thumb is anything more than 40-50 odd hp gets a rivet type. Road 250's seem to lack the power to spit them off, though I've seen it happen, and dirt bike chains are usually so seized and lovely there's no way for the master to come undone; I've seen several where the spring clip had long disappeared yet the link plate stayed in place and needed force to remove it.

Big bikes? Not worth the risk imo, a snapped chain on a sportbike usually puts a hole in the engine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I painted all my new fairings yesterday.

Then today I sanded down the loving $30/can clearcoat and re-applied because I’m an idiot who can’t read directions and has no common sense.

If I had thought ahead to the price of paint and what my own time is worth I would have bought these fairings from China already painted for $200 more.

Will finally get some pics up when everything cures and I’m not nervous about mounting it back on the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Slavvy you talk about Honda being good but have you ever worked on a Honda RC51? I've never worked on a Honda where there wasn't some insanely dumb loving bullshit required. You've got these from day one doing poo poo like the CX500/650 stators.

The problem with Honda is that they have their engine folks do the engine work, and then the frame people do the frame work and then suddenly you have the Honda 929, where they put a frame crossbar over the spark plugs, or the VFR800 where the common technique to deal with the valve adjustment is "remove engine, throw in trash, purchase ebay engine, install", because the book time for the VTEC models is something staggeringly dumb. RIP to the goon who's missing out on a 701, those motors are fine and the bikes are rad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Martytoof posted:

If I had thought ahead to the price of [x] and what my own time is worth I would have

Welcome to motorcycling! Don't pay attention to this kind of stuff, it's no fun. I've got no idea how much I spend/have spent on my bikes and if I multiplied the hours by, like, what I get paid at work lol. lol

If you want to ride a bike to save money, get a clapped-out KLR and ride it until the tires are bald and oil the chain with stolen mcdonalds fry grease or whatever those nutjobs recommend. Otherwise just acknowledge that it's a thing you do for the fun of it and it's not about getting your bottom dollar's worth

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Slavvy you talk about Honda being good but have you ever worked on a Honda RC51? I've never worked on a Honda where there wasn't some insanely dumb loving bullshit required. You've got these from day one doing poo poo like the CX500/650 stators.

The problem with Honda is that they have their engine folks do the engine work, and then the frame people do the frame work and then suddenly you have the Honda 929, where they put a frame crossbar over the spark plugs, or the VFR800 where the common technique to deal with the valve adjustment is "remove engine, throw in trash, purchase ebay engine, install", because the book time for the VTEC models is something staggeringly dumb. RIP to the goon who's missing out on a 701, those motors are fine and the bikes are rad.

They do lots of dumb insane bullshit, especially during their psychedelic 90's peak, but it's nowhere near KTM/BMW levels and they hardly ever break by comparison.

Try doing the plugs on a zx12 :allears:

I don't know where the viffer valve thing comes from, I've done it on vtec and not vtec models and the hardest part was taking off all the bodywork. I will say Honda fairings are the absolute worst and seemingly designed to be difficult to take apart.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Welcome to motorcycling! Don't pay attention to this kind of stuff, it's no fun. I've got no idea how much I spend/have spent on my bikes and if I multiplied the hours by, like, what I get paid at work lol. lol

If you want to ride a bike to save money, get a clapped-out KLR and ride it until the tires are bald and oil the chain with stolen mcdonalds fry grease or whatever those nutjobs recommend. Otherwise just acknowledge that it's a thing you do for the fun of it and it's not about getting your bottom dollar's worth

Yeah, I priced a cable railing for my new deck, it was $2600, for a decent welder, steel, and various peripherals it was like $2200, I've been welding and grinding for over 40 hours now, but I get tools and new skills out of the mix, and if I ever want to do it again it'll take half the time, and new skills are invaluable, and, for me at least, it's time I'd probably spend loving off anyway.

My first tire change took me like 4 hours, including a pinched tube, now I can change a dirt bike tire in like 15 fuckin' minutes.

KTM chat: my Husky takes like 10 minutes and 3 bolts to strip literally all the fairings off, it has a million tiny little thoughtful features that make maintenance way easier than my old Kawi, or my FZ6 where I have to pull the front (only) fairing to lift the loving gas tank.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Did the fastest wash/rinse/dry and cover before the thunderstorms hit yesterday just before dinner time. Could have waited til today I suppose but some times you just gotta get poo poo done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

They do lots of dumb insane bullshit, especially during their psychedelic 90's peak, but it's nowhere near KTM/BMW levels and they hardly ever break by comparison.

Try doing the plugs on a zx12 :allears:

I don't know where the viffer valve thing comes from, I've done it on vtec and not vtec models and the hardest part was taking off all the bodywork. I will say Honda fairings are the absolute worst and seemingly designed to be difficult to take apart.

Admittedly I've only worked on the S1000XR, but the R motor platform isn't bad, and the Boxers seem okay for most stuff except gently caress doing a clutch ever. Or final drives. But shaft drives are banned from the eyes of god so whatever.

I'm pretty curious though about what you don't like about KTMs - in all the ones I've worked on, they've definitely got some weird poo poo (why so many filters? DURPKAR) and the early LC4 oil change procedure is absurd due to the dry sump setup, but everything 1190/later architecture seems fine and the 950/990 motors are stout as poo poo with a couple of known maintenance items. Besides that, their dirtbikes are amazing to work on because there's an expectation you have to fix it on the side of the desert unaided, and I've never been unhappy about working on any of the 690s.