Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The largest plurality of respondents began reading Homestuck in 2016 - the year it ended. That's wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Android Blues posted:

The largest plurality of respondents began reading Homestuck in 2016 - the year it ended. That's wild.

That bar graph is impressive: they continue to pick up new readers at a very steady pace. The spread on whether people want new prose-only content is hilarious, compared to wanting other kinds of new content.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Tyzias best Friendsim character confirmed.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Android Blues posted:

This makes a kind of sense to me. People who were there when the comic was live got to the ending, saw it, finished the story and got off the ride. Those who joined at the time it finished had all the enthusiasm from finishing the story and were right in place to pick up the torch of the fading fanbase.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Pewdiepie just warned me about stairs bros

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tyzias best Friendsim character confirmed.

This guy? This guy gets it.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Bobulus posted:

The results of that podcast survey are up.

https://perfectlygenericpodcast.com/survey/2019

I find the data breakdown pretty interesting. Skews a little younger than I was expecting (mean / media age of 19, which means that most of the respondents were 11 or 12 in 2012, at the height of Homestuck's popularity)

Jesus, I'm one of eight 36-year-olds who responded to this. :(

Also: Nine two-hundred-forty-one-year-olds?

Edit: Thank you! My old-person eyes couldn't decipher the font. :)

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 17, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That's a greater-than sign.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

feeling proud of the bisexual community lmao i've never seen any survey results that look like this

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Homestuck is bi/pan culture. >50% together.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
The epilogues are getting a print release and people on twitter are behaving very normally about it

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Plom Bar posted:

The epilogues are getting a print release and people on twitter are behaving very normally about it

I always assumed they would. I don't dare imagine what it's like on Tumblr.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’ll allow it but only if Candy is stocked on a special display front and center at the entrance of book stores.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

XkyRauh posted:

Also: Nine two-hundred-forty-one-year-olds?

Edit: Thank you! My old-person eyes couldn't decipher the font. :)

yeah I looked at

and was like 'oh, haha- uh- ha. hm.'

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I’ll allow it but only if Candy is stocked on a special display front and center at the entrance of book stores.

this is domestic terrorism you’re proposing

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

I'm reasonably certain it's the same book. Read it one way, flip it turn ways, read it the other way.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wonder if Viz read the epilogues and realized with cold dread the Faustian deal they had made.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

XkyRauh posted:

I'm another one! :corsair::hf::corsair:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

I wonder if Viz read the epilogues and realized with cold dread the Faustian deal they had made.

I mean, they're publishing the books.

Also, this has been confirmed to NOT be the "next big Homestuck thing" that's been teased at. Quoth: "There are many irons in the fire."

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 20, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm loving sixty. Imagine my chagrin.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm loving sixty. Imagine my chagrin.

well there are more of you than the self-reported 36-year-olds (myself included) :v:

lol if everyone over 30 came from this thread

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's no way there's still 190 people in this thread.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm just here for whatever Andrew Hussie makes next.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

no like obviously there's some bleedover from rest of internet

but this is prolly the oldest homestuck-liking group of people I've seen

my chagrin about it came in 2016 when my girlfriend-at-the-time had a teenage daughter who wanted to talk Homestuck with me, and has continued unabated through an entire epilogue

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I'm 29 and I didn't take the survey!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i didnt take it either but much like karkat i wont reveal age gender location sexual orientation education blood color etc

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also glad that the top 3 best characters are the best characters

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay the people in that poll I'm curious about are the nine folks who haven't read homestuck and don't plan to.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I’m not about to ruin my headcanons by doing something stupid like reading the comic

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

YggiDee posted:

Okay the people in that poll I'm curious about are the nine folks who haven't read homestuck and don't plan to.

Look, they just really love taking surveys, they don't actually care what the surveys are about.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Look, they just really love taking surveys, they don't actually care what the surveys are about.

There's probably an entire research paper in that idea. Because I think there was a kerfuffle a few years back about how psychology experiments are fundamentally biased, because you can't just have a complete random assortment of humans in an experiment, you use volunteers. So then your results are skewed towards the kind of person who would agree to a psych experiment, ie total weirdos.

So by the same token, any poll about Homestuck is inherently biased towards people who take polls. There may be a key demographic or ideological difference between poll takers and non-poll takers, or the difference may be absolutely meaningless. We'll never know because you can't compare the two categories of people because the non-poll takers won't take the survey.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

YggiDee posted:

There's probably an entire research paper in that idea. Because I think there was a kerfuffle a few years back about how psychology experiments are fundamentally biased, because you can't just have a complete random assortment of humans in an experiment, you use volunteers. So then your results are skewed towards the kind of person who would agree to a psych experiment, ie total weirdos.

So by the same token, any poll about Homestuck is inherently biased towards people who take polls. There may be a key demographic or ideological difference between poll takers and non-poll takers, or the difference may be absolutely meaningless. We'll never know because you can't compare the two categories of people because the non-poll takers won't take the survey.

....I've never thought about this before, but now that you've brought it up I don't think I'll ever be able to stop thinking about it. I'm going to have to live the rest of my life wondering what kind of secret knowledge the non-poll takers are hiding.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Anyone invested enough in Homestuck in TYOOL 2019 to take a big survey about it is possibly more likely to buy poo poo related to it, so I can see the utility of that bias for a marketing survey.

Also there are probably plenty of other olds (as one of the like half dozen or whatever 36 yo survey-takers, lol) who have read Homestuck and have stopped caring enough about it to take the survey. Kinda feels like... maybe they "grew out of it" huh... :smith:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GunnerJ posted:

Anyone invested enough in Homestuck in TYOOL 2019 to take a big survey about it is possibly more likely to buy poo poo related to it, so I can see the utility of that bias for a marketing survey.

Also there are probably plenty of other olds (as one of the like half dozen or whatever 36 yo survey-takers, lol) who have read Homestuck and have stopped caring enough about it to take the survey. Kinda feels like... maybe they "grew out of it" huh... :smith:

as a comparatively old 30+ i just didn't give enough of a poo poo to click the survey link

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Pissed-off Bard Quest readers?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The average 34-39 year old MSPA user is a begrudged tacitly engaged reader brooding over fan merch internet surveys. The average 40+ year old MSPA reader on the other hand keeps happening

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

That horse looks vaguely confused, seems like an appropriate reaction.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I went to the Homestuck reddit page trying to see if there was any more info on friendsim 2 and found this instead: A portrait of Andrew Hussie made only using the words "I loving hate homestuck"

https://www.reddit.com/r/homestuck/comments/ctj7j4/a_portrait_of_andrew_hussie_made_only_using_the/

pretty sure this belongs in a museum.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

This but eboy hussie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

GunnerJ posted:

as one of the like half dozen or whatever 36 yo survey-takers, lol

lol wtf are all the 36yos in that survey from this thread?

are all goons 36??