Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, just do that. AoXM was okay, but most of the tie ins were actually really fun.

X-Tremists was excellent, one of my favorite titles of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Archyduchess posted:

And might be kinda important since theoretically everyone in Age of X remembers what happened during Age of X and both Psylocke and Jubilee (and Apocalypse, I still need to read the book he was in) will be in Excalibur.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'know what, I'll go against the grain and say you should go ahead and read Uncanny because if I suffered then everyone else should too :colbert:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

/\/\/\this is the new "read avengers 200"

Archyduchess posted:

It made BLOB a good character. loving Blob!!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Y'know what, I'll go against the grain and say you should go ahead and read Uncanny because if I suffered then everyone else should too :colbert:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Can't appreciate the good without the bad etc somethin

On another note...while I'll rag on the human element of Hickman's writing, I still gotta say that his take on almost every character he's written so far has been so worthwhile. For instance, the scene with Xavier, Magneto, and Cyclops all together -- pretty much the three most prominent leaders of mutantkind -- working in tandem to get things done? That's the good poo poo I wanna be reading.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

On another note...while I'll rag on the human element of Hickman's writing, I still gotta say that his take on almost every character he's written so far has been so worthwhile. For instance, the scene with Xavier, Magneto, and Cyclops all together -- pretty much the three most prominent leaders of mutantkind -- working in tandem to get things done? That's the good poo poo I wanna be reading.

It's not something he often focuses on, but Hickman has actually always been really good at it. The Future Foundation issue where Johnny Storm is roommates with Peter Parker, the Avengers issue in Hong Kong

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
That time Spider-Man stole food from the Avengers fridge

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

BrianWilly posted:

Scott's characterization really keeps getting shoved back and forth this last year or so between "rear end in a top hat" and "the guy who gets poo poo done" and I absolutely love reading about the latter. That short little scene was so fun to read.
I mean really all three of those guys can be described as acting problematic as gently caress a good chunk of the time but damned if I don't enjoy a good "wellp I guess it's time for us to save the fuckin' world again" moment.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

one thing that got brought up in claremont's i just read that i really like about scott is the idea that he's so bad at communication on a personal level because all he does is date telepaths who can just read his mind to know what he actually feels

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It's not something he often focuses on, but Hickman has actually always been really good at it. The Future Foundation issue where Johnny Storm is roommates with Peter Parker, the Avengers issue in Hong Kong

i know the face is a bit munted but i love chef thor

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I almost never read x-men comics except x-force, but these past 4 issues have been really fun. I hope every dumb backstory page with nothing but text can become its own spinoff series afterwards.

Can anyone share the “alternate timeline” clues they’ve found so far? The graph only showed Moira’s 9th and 10th lives going on indefinitely so I assume most stuff happening in the distant future is from one of those lives.

Also are there any theories yet about her missing 6th life?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Billzasilver posted:

I almost never read x-men comics except x-force, but these past 4 issues have been really fun. I hope every dumb backstory page with nothing but text can become its own spinoff series afterwards.

Can anyone share the “alternate timeline” clues they’ve found so far? The graph only showed Moira’s 9th and 10th lives going on indefinitely so I assume most stuff happening in the distant future is from one of those lives.

Also are there any theories yet about her missing 6th life?

YOU ASKED.

So my current theory (IT WILL CHANGE AFTER THE NEXT ISSUE):

Each of the timelines shown in PoX is also from a different Moira Life.

X^0 - Moira XI. I think we're seeing the "last" beginning to the X-Men and is setting the scene for the Dawn of X titles coming out after these series end.
X^1 - Moira VI. This is the big swerve. This timeline was hidden. We're going to see how it all goes tits-up in real time.
X^2 - Moira IX. There's a good twitter thread explaining this one. But this is the Age of Apocalypse-esque life, 100 years in the future.
X^3 - Moira X. Moira's the Librarian. This is essentially her "win" scenario, where she "breaks the rules." She beats the humans, enacts the plan to merge with the Phalanx, etc. But again, I think this goes not-as-expected. Hence Life XI.

BrianWilly posted:

I think he's better at this than his reputation, maybe because it wasn't on-point with his Avengers work (which has moments like the hot dog thing). But his FF work... Man, that post-Johnny issue is tear-jerking. His creator-owned stuff works really well. I personally think The Black Monday Murders is his best work to date but this X-Men poo poo is hitting everything out of the park.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
That FF issue where Reed figures out that Ben is functionally immortal makes me tear up just thinking about it.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Is that the one where we get Peter opening the bathroom door to find Annihilus taking a poo poo? Because if so, god I love that issue so much.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Didn't Peter also teach the Beyonder how to poo poo? Is this a reccuring theme with him?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dreqqus posted:

That FF issue where Reed figures out that Ben is functionally immortal makes me tear up just thinking about it.

That issue's fantastic, but it has one of the most annoying, lazy art decisions I've ever seen which is the television when Ben and Reed sit down to have a few beers and watch the boxing is a really shoddily photoshopped still image of an MMA fight.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
It's been ages since I read it but I'm going to drag it out to look at this lol.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 17, 2019

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Oh man I never noticed that Haha

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I cant udnerstand half of this and i assume i wont ever but whatever its cool crazy poo poo at least

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dreqqus posted:

Oh man I never noticed that Haha

It’s really bad, which is unfortunate because that’s one of the best issues of an astounding comic.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Hard to get upset about it when the Gregs still exist in comics.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

This is the first issue that didn’t do much for me, but I’ve always found the AOA/ 2099 stuff unengaging. Nice little twist at the end.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Transistor Rhythm posted:

This is the first issue that didn’t do much for me, but I’ve always found the AOA/ 2099 stuff unengaging. Nice little twist at the end.

Nimrod continues to be good. Xorn was extremely good. The rest was pretty straightforward and a needed point. And for having the reading order in every issue it threw me off that it wasn’t a House of X issue today. That said, the next two issues are in House of X so I’m looking forward to see how what’s happening in Year Ten is being affected by what was shown today.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I had assumed that was Magneto in year one hundred. Wasn't expecting him to be a Lorna Dane x Emma Frost chimera. It was probably a fake out to make people not suspect that this was Moira's ninth life since the timeline in House of X #2 said Magneto died pretty early on in that one.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 21, 2019

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I thought this was a great issue and some good needed forward momentum in the plot starting to gel. I'm a sucker for doomed suicide missions done well, though.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

CubanMissile posted:

I had assumed that was Magneto in year one hundred. Wasn't expecting him to be a Lorna Dane x Emma Frost chimera. It was probably a fake out to make people not suspect that this was Moira's ninth life since the timeline in House of X #2 said Magneto died pretty early on in that one.

The now confirmed theory about that life that was floating around last week called this as well.

Anyone else drawing significance on which direction the timelines in the Moira lives graph go? Three, Eight, and Ten all go over the circle at age 13; The others below. I can't find any obvious connection between Three and Eight...

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

danbanana posted:

Anyone else drawing significance on which direction the timelines in the Moira lives graph go? Three, Eight, and Ten all go over the circle at age 13; The others below. I can't find any obvious connection between Three and Eight...

Only connection I can see is Moira is working against the X-Men in some capacity in those two timelines whereas in the others she's either allied with them or operating independently of them. Life nine throws a wrench in that sort of but she *did* form an X-Men team with Apocalypse and things make a little more sense now that we know life nine was one big suicide op to dig up dirt on Nimrod.

Or, more likely, there's more stuff we don't know about one or both of those timelines yet. Maybe Destiny killed her again in Life 8?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
The closest I've come to a guess on the timeline circles is the lives in which the line moves over the top of the circle are lives where Moira's death is deliberately engineered to convey information to her next life - by Destiny in 3, by the refugee X-folks in 9, but I'm not sure that entirely adds up.

It's also possible it's just a cosmetic choice, who knows?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I went back to PoX #2 to check, and the cyclops suicide attack on the sun is meant to prevent a Nimrod. Meaning the ten years timeline is definitely the tenth life, and we’ll see what crazy information Moira received here. Maybe all four timelines are from different lives.

The hidden 6th life is still what gets me. Is that the phalanx assimilation timeline?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Billzasilver posted:

I went back to PoX #2 to check, and the cyclops suicide attack on the sun is meant to prevent a Nimrod. Meaning the ten years timeline is definitely the tenth life, and we’ll see what crazy information Moira received here. Maybe all four timelines are from different lives.

The hidden 6th life is still what gets me. Is that the phalanx assimilation timeline?

My theory is up above but I definitely feel like each time period is a different life. And VI is one of them!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/kennybloggins/status/1164293540421222400?s=20

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
You guys think Moira having only 10-11 lives is just how her powers work? ie upper limit of Nightcrawler's teleport distance. Or did Destiny foresee that Moira 10 or 11 dies before her powers manifest?

As for the red circle discussion earlier: no other scene was hyped as much as the bench scene so the other red circles can't be "issues containing a scene that was hyped as really important." Also don't think it's likely to be all retcons as opposed to all backstories that may not may not retcon anything.

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

somebody should buy that guy an account

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Web Jew.0 posted:

You guys think Moira having only 10-11 lives is just how her powers work? ie upper limit of Nightcrawler's teleport distance. Or did Destiny foresee that Moira 10 or 11 dies before her powers manifest?

As for the red circle discussion earlier: no other scene was hyped as much as the bench scene so the other red circles can't be "issues containing a scene that was hyped as really important." Also don't think it's likely to be all retcons as opposed to all backstories that may not may not retcon anything.

Giving a set number of resurrections is just a Chekhov's gun for a dramatic moment when they escape that limit.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Web Jew.0 posted:

Destiny said that Moira's powers manifest when she reaches her teens, so if she dies before then, she doesn't come back. Then she said that it would happen after 10 or 11 lives. So if Moira X dies, her next life she might die before she reaches her teens and that'll be that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is God loves, man kills its own separate story? I haven't read it yet and I wasn't sure if it was a compilation of issues or a stand alone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Is God loves, man kills its own separate story? I haven't read it yet and I wasn't sure if it was a compilation of issues or a stand alone.

It's a separate story. Marvel published a bunch of stand alone OGNs in the 80s, that was one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Has anyone tried to match up these timelines with Hickman's Avengers timeline?