Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IronicDongz posted:

nuclear throne has some real issues(like how eventually melee weapons become actually mandatory if you go far enough, and how the game runs at 30 fps) but ETG is too drat slow and runs take too drat long. turbo mode is a bad band aid fix for this, it goes deep into how the game is designed.

every game like ETG should look at old shoot em ups for pacing. Cho Ren Sha 68k is a free game originally from 1995 and it feels better than literally every modern shooter roguelite

both turbo mode and increasing your out-of-combat speed result in a much faster gameplay experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They do, but not really in the way that I wanted. I don't want literally everything to move faster, I want enemies to have less health(but have somewhat more of them), and floors to be a lot smaller. And possibly for there to be less floors total.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the similarities between Gungeon and NT are superficial. NT is an arcade-y twin stick shooter, Gungeon is a slow-paced bullet hell.

Don't y'all have Barkey's to talk about?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ItBreathes posted:

what's that it sounds corporate

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IronicDongz posted:

They do, but not really in the way that I wanted. I don't want literally everything to move faster, I want enemies to have less health(but have somewhat more of them), and floors to be a lot smaller. And possibly for there to be less floors total.

good news, there's upgrades that fill these desires and the fact that you don't even need to do the secret chambers

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I already didn't do the secret chambers and I still think it's too slow and long

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
maybe just mod guns into dark souls 3, that game is short enough that it could simulate the same experience

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ItBreathes posted:

do we?

do we??

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Don't fight, Monolith is better than both games.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
he have a barkley to discuss, but not a barkley two discuss.

the xenoblade chronicles guys should pick up barkley 2 and fuse the setting with the combat of xenoblade 2. instead of big titty anime blades at the player's side, it should be the ghosts of various basket ball players, with roles corresponding to the B-Baller's position in the team

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Dias posted:

Don't fight, Monolith is better than both games.

Monolith has tone issues

Like, lolwackyrandom you're a ship and you're buying stuff from a giant flabby cat head woah

But also your enemies are jars of tortured souls and shadows with teeth

I didn't like NT all that much until I learned that it has a consistent conlang and a secret ending

I didn't like Gungeon all that much until I realised that basically every run will drop you a really decent synergy about halfway through, at which point the game comes into its own. It really feels like everyone in here whining about bullet sponge enemies hasn't played recently, the first-floor gun nuts tank hits like the demi-bosses that they are but almost everything else will drop in a couple of shots

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

spit on my clit posted:

when shooting your tiny blap blap pistol causes a loving earthquake for the next three vlambeer games (if anyone can stand to work with rami), that aint fine
idk I hear the Barkley 2 team is hiring

This is a real roundabout way to get to the joke I wanted which is Bill Vlambeer's Combat Basketball

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

every game like ETG should look at old shoot em ups for pacing. Cho Ren Sha 68k is a free game originally from 1995 and it feels better than literally every modern shooter roguelite
god bless this post

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I don't wanna talk poo poo about Cho Ren Sha because it was amazing, but didn't it do that old shmup thing where if you took a death you'd drop all the way down to level 1 weapons and lose extra bombs? Then since everything takes so long to kill the extra stocks are kind of worthless. You pretty much have to have powerup drops for a level memorized to know which ones were safe to do a full collect on if you wanted any chance to recover. I guess it wasn't that bad since I think there was a level continue system (although I think you could only loop if you did it 1cc?) but I'm glad that shmups for the most part moved past that poo poo.

Unless you meant something else entirely by pacing

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

the xenoblade chronicles guys should pick up barkley 2 and fuse the setting with the combat of xenoblade 2. instead of big titty anime blades at the player's side, it should be the ghosts of various basket ball players, with roles corresponding to the B-Baller's position in the team

If they make it so Jonathan Taylor Thomas is the named enemy fight theme, I'm in.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

staplegun posted:

I don't wanna talk poo poo about Cho Ren Sha because it was amazing, but didn't it do that old shmup thing where if you took a death you'd drop all the way down to level 1 weapons and lose extra bombs? Then since everything takes so long to kill the extra stocks are kind of worthless. You pretty much have to have powerup drops for a level memorized to know which ones were safe to do a full collect on if you wanted any chance to recover. I guess it wasn't that bad since I think there was a level continue system (although I think you could only loop if you did it 1cc?) but I'm glad that shmups for the most part moved past that poo poo.

ChoRenSha did do that, however unlike old shmups even your base-unupgraded form is pretty good and doesn't leave you handicapped like it would in say Gradius. I want to say your fully upgraded form increased damage by 50-75% only which by shmup standards isn't a lot. It was a lot more worriesome imho to run out of bombs than it was to get downgraded, and you get a bomb refill when you die.

CHS68K is a very well designed game! Although of course it's not everyone's cup of shmup.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

why would you want the xenoblade combat system in anything

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Clearly they mean xenogears.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol that the barnle thread has been overtaken by discussion of other, better gungames

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A shooter roguelite, or 'tyrian arcade mode' for short

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

When did 'arcade' cease to be a genre descriptor? Like, 2000?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

When did 'arcade' cease to be a genre descriptor? Like, 2000?

Coincidentally about the time arcades ceased to be in the United States.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

game's good, mate

Big Mad Drongo posted:

If they make it so Jonathan Taylor Thomas is the named enemy fight theme, I'm in.

you deserve a basket ball for this

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Midjack posted:

Coincidentally about the time arcades ceased to be in the United States.

Holy poo poo, arcades still existed until 2000? I don't think I ever ran into any in the 90s outside of like Chuckee Cheese's.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Fuschia tude posted:

Holy poo poo, arcades still existed until 2000? I don't think I ever ran into any in the 90s outside of like Chuckee Cheese's.

They were weird around the end. It would mainly be little kids, but also maybe a dozen teens/twenty somethings there to play Tekken and MVC2.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah I'd'a sworn they died several years before that. Like, the swimming pool had a couple machines (most notably mortal Kombat) and there was Chuck e cheese and roller rinks and poo poo, but I don't think I ever saw an arcade proper.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Mall arcades went to poo poo but I remember some good arcades in '98 and '99 around the College parts of town (CU Denver and CU Boulder). Sega's output during this time was great and the rest was mostly fighting games and the obligatory Neo Geo cabinet.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
My local mall arcade didn't go out of business until 2002. That's longer than the Wizards of the Coast Gaming Center, which died in 2001.

zinglon's ale
Nov 29, 2004

uh oh

Tunicate posted:

A shooter roguelite, or 'tyrian arcade mode' for short

Yes let's talk more about this game.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

In 1996 I was a 6yo living in the Chicago area and arcades were alive and loving tiiiiight and the local one that everyone at school went to for birthday parties had all the 80s stuff like Galaga and the original Rampage and Mario Bros set to free play :kiddo:

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah then I went to Vegas in 98 and there was a cool mega arcade called Gameworks I think. Dave and Busters first arrived on the scene around this time too and I remember playing a crazy MechWarrior game which was something like 8 sit in cabinets all networked together. Then there was a chain of arcades run by Namco. I sent them my resume because I thought repairing arcade games sounded fun but they never called.

I was a huge nerd back then if you haven't figured it out yet.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RVWinkle posted:

Oh yeah then I went to Vegas in 98 and there was a cool mega arcade called Gameworks I think. Dave and Busters first arrived on the scene around this time too and I remember playing a crazy MechWarrior game which was something like 8 sit in cabinets all networked together. Then there was a chain of arcades run by Namco. I sent them my resume because I thought repairing arcade games sounded fun but they never called.

I was a huge nerd back then if you haven't figured it out yet.

The mechwarrior pods still exist, endlessly maintained and updated by the fan community.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The best I ever see is a Time Crisis machine at the movie theater - one screen is blue, the other is red, and the guncons dont even work right. its such a shame.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
We’ve always had plenty of arcades around here. They never really went away- the oldschool ones all folded up shop, but within a couple of years the barcade trend took off in all the gentrified towns, plus we’ve got a Round One with tons of import games and stuff now too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Round One is the loving best.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I live in Japan, your puny arcades are nothing to me. Oh, your Dave and Busters has that Jurassic Park lightgun game from 1997 that no place ever got rid of for some reason? That’s cute. If you need me I’ll be in the virtual mech simulator with 4 screens and moving seats listening to a huge titty anime girl tell me how to play while I crash into a wall for 5 minutes.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Arcades in big cities in southeast asia are still tight too. Basically everything you get in the Japanese ones plus a shitload of cabs with those weird street fighter 2 romhacks where the credit button switches you to a random character midway through a fight and also everyone can fly

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

staplegun posted:

the level 1 weapon in cho ren sha is actually not much weaker than the max upgraded one. it's mentioned in these notes here: http://shmuplations.com/chorensha68k/

At max strength, the player's weapon is shooting twice as fast and also shooting twice as many bullets per shot, so it would appear to be four times more powerful than with no powerups. However, the actual damage is only 1.375 times greater. Which makes a difference but you're also going to be fine fighting bosses at default power.
People do not realize this easily because bosses do not have healthbars and enemies die quickly in general so it's not immediately clear that you're not actually multiplying your power by that much. Which is why there are multiple reviews of this game that cite losing your powerup as a negative, but really it mostly just matters for score because of how much points you get for extra powerups.

Also the reason that you lose bombs when you die is to encourage you to actually use your fuckin bombs instead of sitting on them. too good to use syndrome is a brain disease btw

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Big Word posted:

Arcades in big cities in southeast asia are still tight too. Basically everything you get in the Japanese ones plus a shitload of cabs with those weird street fighter 2 romhacks where the credit button switches you to a random character midway through a fight and also everyone can fly

That sounds amazing, the closest thing I’ve seen to anything like that was a Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire cabinet.
I dream of one day going to an arcade that has Dong Dong Never Die.