Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The thing about heavy cruisers is after this war every power is going to pile on BCs like a madman and the heavy cruiser as a class goes completely obsolete for a while. Your new CAs will have to tangle with pseudo-BB BCs all the time. A light BC design might be just as costly and have a better chance.

e: Light BCs would be something like 6x 12inch guns in forward facing triple turrets, 28+ knots, light armor, basically designed to clown CAs and skirmish at the edge of heavy BC range then run the gently caress away.

To turn that into a descriptive requirement:
A battlecruiser design aimed at winning cruiser battles, with moderate armament to engage peer cruisers, enough speed to disengage from peer battlecruiser and battleship lines, torpedo protection, the best gun direction systems available, and armor as a low priority.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Infidelicious posted:

Fleet Cruiser and Commerce Raiding Omnibus

Seconded

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Gay Hitler posted:

Does anyone have a good handle on when and why you'd want to use coal vs oil vs diesel engines in the context of this game?

Coal = Don't have oil available
Oil= used for most ships
Diesel= Long or Extreme range

Coal is so bad you get a warning prompt if you have oil.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Gay Hitler posted:

Does anyone have a good handle on when and why you'd want to use coal vs oil vs diesel engines in the context of this game?

Oil is if you A. Have access to it, and B. can afford to spend ~10-15% more on a ship to free up ~20% engine tonnage to use on something like Torpedo Protection with the and additional bonus that it doesn't lose speed from needing to clean grates like coal does. It's good for Battlecruisers and Battleships, it's harder to justify on things that are supposed to be cost effective like raiders or destroyers until the 20's when you get techs that bring down the cost and up the weight savings.

Diesel is nominally less weight for range, but really doesn't work out that way and has better acceleration... which is really only useful for Q-Ship AMC's because you start battles at long enough range that getting to top speed isn't really a problem.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Have Russia's oil deposits been discovered by this point in history?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

terrenblade posted:

I hate to say it but at this point we need to cut back on research and get some boats, we need heavy and light cruisers that can fight, light cruisers that can raid, destroyers that can fight and have one or two torpedoes, and additional submarines.

Therefor I propose the Temporary Re-Armament Focus Act

Reduce research spending % as needed to permit the construction of sufficient light forces to support our fleet, commerce raiding, and submarines.

This act does not effect buying technology from other nations, that is doing fine.

Seconded

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I propose the Naval Wartime Modernization Act

A number of our destroyers and cruisers are outdated and in need of upgrades and maintenance. All of our outdated CL's and DD's will undergo refits.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Someone’s got to do it

I propose the Peace Negotiations Act

The Czar is allowed to initiate peace talks with Imperial Germany aiming for a white peace at the high end and moderate concessions at the low end of our negotiating strategy. The Czar, given his infinite divine wisdom, is give the latitude to determine the limits of moderate concessions.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Zikan posted:

Someone’s got to do it

The Czar is allowed to initiate peace talks with Imperial Germany aiming for a white peace at the high end and moderate concessions at the low end of our negotiating strategy. The Czar, given his infinite divine wisdom, is give the latitude to determine the limits of moderate concessions.

Hell, seconded.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Servetus posted:

Have Russia's oil deposits been discovered by this point in history?

Absolutely.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Just FYI Grey, increases in submarine reliability effect submarines laid down after you discover the technology. Techs don't increase the reliability of submarines you have already built.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

That's ok, we only have like 3 subs left

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Incredible how they have a longer lifespan than our battleships. They probably sunk more stuff too.

Should we keep out subs on prize rules or have them shift to fleet support or unrestricted?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

***PRIORITETY ISSLEDOVANIYE 01 JAN 1916 ST PETERSBURG***
YEGO IMPYERATORSKOGO VYELICHYESTVA (NIKOLAYA II [VTOROGO])
pre:
Research Area				Last research		Priority	Levels
Machinery development			Small tube boilers II	Low		9
Armour development			Improved armour bracing	High		7
Hull construction			Hydraulic riveting	High		8
Fire control				Director firing		Low		11
Subdivision and damage control		Diesel generators	High		5
Turrets and gun mountings		Reliable pwr train/elv	Low		8
Ship design				Secondary turrets on BB	Low		11
AP Projectiles				Capped AP projectiles	Low		3
Light forces and torpedo warfare	Above water tubes on CL	Low		7
Torpedo technology			Horizontal turbines	Low		8
Submarines				Medium range submarine	Low		10
ASW technology				Hydrostatic pistols	Low		5
Explosive shells			Enh high explosive fill	Low		8
Fleet tactics				Battle turn away	Low		6
Naval aviation, lighter than air	Improved airship engine	High		2
Naval Aviation, heavier than air	Seaplane scouts		High		1
Shipboard aircraft operation		Seaplane carrier	High		1
Amphibious operations			X-Lighters		Low		1
Naval guns				16 inch guns		Low
BUORD ORDERED CONVEY TO NAVY TSAR'S INTENSE DISPLEASURE REGARDING RECENT BATTLE PERFORMANCE STOP
ARMY ENGAGEMENTS INDECISIVE BUT NAVY ENGAGEMENTS OFTEN DISASTROUS STOP
IT SEEMS THE ANSWER IS IN THE AIR STOP
FIXED-WING AIRCRAFT COULD PROTECT OUR ZEPPELINS SO THEY CAN WIN US THE WAR STOP
BY INTERCEPTING ANTI-ZEPPELIN GERMAN AICRAFT WE SHALL PREVAIL STOP
BY ORDER OF THE EMPEROR KINDLY BUILD US AN INTERCEPTOR END

The Fleet Air Arm Act
In order to expedite the process of equipping our fledgling air wings with the best and most modern technology, BuOrd shall have the authority to unilaterally request proposals for new aircraft models from domestic aircraft production firms, no more than once per year per aircraft role. BuOrd shall have the authority to prioritize which qualities shall be preferred when selecting from available prototypes, out of the following: Speed, Maneuverability, Range, Bomb Load, Firepower, Toughness, Reliability. They shall also be permitted to establish a naming scheme for aircraft models and name them as they see fit.

ATTN: BY ORDER YEGO IMPYERATORSKOGO VYELICHYESTVA (NIKOLAYA II [VTOROGO]), IMPERIAL RUSSIA REQUESTS PROPOSALS FROM ALL DOMESTIC MANUFACTURERS OF QUALITY AND PATRIOTIC LOYALTY TO THE CROWN AND COUNTRY!
In order to protect our naval lighter-than-air fleets from the perfidious Hun as they go about their critical business of destroying german ships and winning us the war, Russia requires the design and manufacture of a new fixed-wing aeroplane model. Just as a destroyer protects the valuable capital ship, these planes will serve as screens to protect our powerful war-winning dirigibles. Present your design proposals to the Chief of the Navy for consideration immediately!
Prioritization of qualities:
1. Maneuverability
2. Speed
3. Firepower
4. Toughness
5. Reliability
6. Range
7. Bomb Load

The winning design will be named the razrushitel' neba (разрушитель неба) or "Sky Destroyer."

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

TheDemon posted:

The thing about heavy cruisers is after this war every power is going to pile on BCs like a madman and the heavy cruiser as a class goes completely obsolete for a while. Your new CAs will have to tangle with pseudo-BB BCs all the time. A light BC design might be just as costly and have a better chance.

The only BC we have, or could need to field, is the Tsar's perfectly designed yacht. There is simply no reason to believe that its design, approved by the Tsar himself, could be improved upon.

Heavy cruisers are the better solution. Heavy cruisers and dreadnoughts shall rule the Baltic!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is kind of gamey, but a heavy BCs at this point in the game are very valuable just because of how the game works. They can participate in both "cruiser battles" wherein they wreck everything in their path, and also in fleet actions, where they survive just as well if not better than BBs.

Do with this information what you will.

Note: all you need to do to qualify something as a BC is make it fast enough, I forget what the speed is. You can put a ton of armor on them though.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 17, 2019

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

we’re gonna try to make pocket battleships 20 years too early lol

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Zikan posted:

Someone’s got to do it

Thirded but even if this fails I think Grey is essentially obliged to do this under existing legislation. He is just forbidden from accepting harsh terms.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 17, 2019

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I had been working on a way to introduce my Zepplins are the Future Act and this seems the perfect opportunity.

Fixed wing heavier than air aircraft are, without a doubt, an impressive development, but they simply lack the ability to perform the tasks needed now and in the future of our great military. A plane can zoom overhead, and maybe hit a soldier with a brick or a random shot from a pistol. They can scout in a limited way. The Zepplin, however, can become the mobile air fortress of tomorrow, raining death upon our foes and providing constant observation for days or even weeks at a time while providing a perfect relay for our signalling in an engagement, giving our brave soldiers on land and in the sea a decisive advantage over the perfidious Germans.

As such I urge all of us to shift our priorities towards Zepplin capable platforms and construct the necessary infrastructure to support it.

To that end, this act urges the Admiral to support, by any means necessary, the acquisition of Zepplin technology from our allies and our enemies.

This act doesn't mandate the specific construction of bases or Zepplins, but it does request that Zepplin capabilities be considered in future aircraft carrier proposals.

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 17, 2019

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Sadly airships cannot be based on aircraft carriers.

Airships can carry aircraft themselves once the technology has been discovered to allow them to do so, although not enough of them to use them offensively, it just helps them defend against enemy fighters. They can also carry bombs once we've discovered that technology.

They will be obsoleted by land-based medium bombers pretty much the instant we invent those, except in the Baltic, which is such a small area to cover that having a bunch of cheap expendable bomb-carrying platforms roving around the sky can be useful even into the late game. It's always nice to end a close battle and see that it ended up counting as a victory because your zeppelins sank an enemy freighter or two fifty miles away that you didn't even see.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Does someone want to compile a list of currently active laws?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Honestly I think we need to do a ground-up rebuild of the fleet because we need everything from subs and modernized destroyers to battleships that can take a torpedo or two and survive.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
After this war is over we should probably do a pretty heavy restructuring of the navy - ifgure out what we have, hwat has gotten sunk in ridiculous fashion, and what we can do to get more things to be sunk.

But, inventory, analysis, look at active laws, and get the tsar more vodka.

Also, how long would just taking something offline for a base refit and add the new fire control take? And is it cost effective/quick or not to do so?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Arcturas posted:

I propose the Heavy Cruisers Oh God Where Are the Heavy Cruisers? Act.

Let's commission a class of six heavy cruisers appropriate to supporting dreadnoughts in the line of battle.

Infidelicious posted:

Fleet Cruiser and Commerce Raiding Omnibus

This act calls for the construction of two new classes of cruisers

The First:

New cruisers designed for fleet scouting and screening duties; ideally armed with new above water torpedo technology. To be built immediately to free up the Vorobey and Falconyet classes for their intended purpose of commerce raiding.

Flight will consist of a minimum of 2 hulls and an cost per unit will not exceed 40m (85m total outlay to allow wiggle room) this does not include development costs.

Additionally it calls for the design and procurement of 160m worth of commerce raiding cruisers and ~20m worth of submarines to be built over the course of the next 4 years 160m figure does not include development costs.

Next Generation Cruiser Design will ideally be cost effective, or capable of evading or destroying enemy counter raiders; Reliable Engines are highly advised to reduce attrition from mechanical failure; and Medium Range is the minimum since short range ships cannot act as raiders.

After the construction of each flight and before the production of the next flight of cruisers, Chief of Navy will check to see if weight savings can be used to increase effectiveness of design, speed being priority.

Cost Analysis of FCCRO:

20-21m of Submarines
80-85m of Fleet Screen / Scout Cruisers
160-165m of Commerce Raiders

Projected total cost for this act is 260-271m over the next 4 years.

Recommendations for logistics / bookkeeping:

Fleet Scouts to be built as soon as design is approved. ~4k per month / 20 months

Raiding Cruisers to be built in flights not to exceed 4k per month, for as long as it takes to get the production run completed.

5 submarines at a time until the 20m outlay is met ~500-1k per month for 2-4 years

Monthly cost is hard to judge but should not exceed 9k for the first 20 months; dropping to 4.5 or less after the scouts are constructed.

terrenblade posted:

I hate to say it but at this point we need to cut back on research and get some boats, we need heavy and light cruisers that can fight, light cruisers that can raid, destroyers that can fight and have one or two torpedoes, and additional submarines.

Therefor I propose the Temporary Re-Armament Focus Act

Reduce research spending % as needed to permit the construction of sufficient light forces to support our fleet, commerce raiding, and submarines.

This act does not effect buying technology from other nations, that is doing fine.

Seconded.

Zikan posted:

Someone’s got to do it

Here are the seconded acts.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

wedgekree posted:

After this war is over we should probably do a pretty heavy restructuring of the navy - ifgure out what we have, hwat has gotten sunk in ridiculous fashion, and what we can do to get more things to be sunk.

But, inventory, analysis, look at active laws, and get the tsar more vodka.

Also, how long would just taking something offline for a base refit and add the new fire control take? And is it cost effective/quick or not to do so?

Depends on what you're doing. Adding a new fire control is something like four months, changing guns takes eight and rebuilding the engines is almost as time-consuming as building a new ship, if I remember things correctly.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Nay
Nay
Aye
Aye

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Nay

Aye

Aye

I'm not sure how this is different from current legislation. Abstain.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 17, 2019

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
heavy cruisers nay
fleet cruisers nay
temporary rearmament yay
peace super nay

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

6 cruisers - NAY
cruiser suite with cost planning - AYE
Reduce research - NAY
yellowbelly chickenshit - NAY

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Nay
Aye
Aye
Aye

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Nay
Nay
Nay
Aye

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Nay
Aye
Aye
Aye

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Nay
Aye
Aye
Aye, although we’d have two laws directing the same thing

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Nay
Aye
Nay
Nay

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
HCOGWATHC Act - NAY
Fleet Cruiser & Commerce Raiding Omnibus- AYE
Temporary Re-Armament Focus Act- AYE
Peace Negotiations Act- NAY

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Related question: When the game makes "cruiser action" battles, are BCs included or only CAs and CLs?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Cantorsdust posted:

Related question: When the game makes "cruiser action" battles, are BCs included or only CAs and CLs?

BCs and fast BBs (once invented) can show up in cruiser actions, which makes CAs much less viable as the game goes on.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Aye
Aye
Nay
Nay

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
nvm, wrong post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Also if you don't have any BCs then your Bs can show up in cruiser actions and they're actually quite good at it. The Tsar's yacht is screwing us over here.

e: AVs and light carriers too which sucks

Nay
Nay
Aye
Aye