Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

bump_fn posted:

a bunch of laptops from me and my flatmates
That's poo poo, my sympathies. But on the bright side, no computers, enjoy it

ed: aaah gently caress snipe

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WhatEvil posted:

Posting this inside my own tweet because tweets show the article preview:

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1162568831346388993?s=20

Bozo has edited his first PM speech to remove his first broken promise: That work would start "this week" with 20 new hospital upgrades.

Government by gaslight will be a useful policy when the blackouts start happening more frequently

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

The visa fees UK charges are loving disgusting.

And the government make huge anounts of money from it, it's not about covering the costs at all.

Reposting

quote:

Government profits double in four years as immigration laws tighten and visa fees rise

Year after year, to pay to live in the UK, whatever the status, has gone up and up. Immigration costs are indiscriminate. It's like a game of snakes and ladders: a failed application for technical reasons sends the individual back to the beginning to start all over again, and to pay all over again.

The figures show that profits from immigration fees in 2014 totalled £260m. Last year those profits doubled, to £500m.

Take Child Citizenship for example. In 2014 the fee was £669, the cost of processing just £144. By the end of last year the fee was £1012, while the actual cost to the Home Office was only £372. Last year's profits were £24m.

In some areas of immigration, the costs to the applicant have soared, while the Home Office costs have actually fallen.

Take Indefinite Leave to Remain. In 2014 the fee was £1093, while processing costs were £248. Four years on, that fee had more than double to £2389, while Home Office costs had actually dropped, to £243.

Desperate immigrants are a nice little earner

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Like I get there are people in here that are having to pay these visa costs and the nasty approach to failing applications and forcing people to lose all their money and start over is bad, but as long as its actually the state taking the money and not some horrid services company then what is actually the problem with charging a lot for visas?

If nothing else it gives new immigrants a good catch up with the rest of us in terms of the utter contempt with which we hold the authorities.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because immigration should be given to people who want it rather than people who can afford it.

Also the state is only gonna give it to boris's mates via nonsense contracts anyway.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like I get there are people in here that are having to pay these visa costs and the nasty approach to failing applications and forcing people to lose all their money and start over is bad, but as long as its actually the state taking the money and not some horrid services company then what is actually the problem with charging a lot for visas?

If nothing else it gives new immigrants a good catch up with the rest of us in terms of the utter contempt with which we hold the authorities.

Because it’s a lovely thing to do, OP

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

By the same logic, the state should get to charge American rates for healthcare. I mean, as long as it's the state that's bankrupting people then it's perfectly fine?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Counterpoint, why should it cost me thousands and thousands of pounds to live in the same country as the woman I love because she happens to be an American?

Don't be a shithead, tia.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Better milk it while they can because if the Fash tories get what they want, no fucker is going to willingly emigrate here.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tarnop posted:

Government by gaslight will be a useful policy when the blackouts start happening more frequently
Ministry of truth lookin good there. We have always been at war with yerp. Also:

Guavanaut posted:

Junior Anti-Sex League (No Fats No Homeless)
It's happening lads

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

That’s a very selective celibacy group

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
extremely shocking that another tory refuses to help

https://twitter.com/HichamYezza/status/1162631919105978368

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You say some really weird poo poo

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Diet Crack posted:

Better milk it while they can because if the Fash tories get what they want, no fucker is going to willingly emigrate here.

Ehh there probably always will be some because English.

Odd how that one bit of imperial legacy isn't appreciated more.

e: I mean it's already hard as gently caress and yet UK is consistently among (if not at) the top of legal immigrants per capita in the EU. And were it not for the channel I bet it would be for 'unsactioned' immigration too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 17, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

By the same logic, the state should get to charge American rates for healthcare. I mean, as long as it's the state that's bankrupting people then it's perfectly fine?

Whilst we have borders, theres a difference between inside the borders and outside. So no its not the same logic.

feedmegin posted:

Counterpoint, why should it cost me thousands and thousands of pounds to live in the same country as the woman I love because she happens to be an American?

Don't be a shithead, tia.

Yeah. That does suck. I suppose there should be varied pricing according to circumstances.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe we shouldn't have borders.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I agree.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Barry Foster posted:

You say some really weird poo poo

Yes but its nice to see the perfectly reasonable and normal responses to him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then why support the enforcement of them for the sake of it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The horse coach comes to a halt in front of the two guards with halberds crossed in the road. A third guard raps on the door with a heavy stick and it opens. I approach and level my ornate wheel lock long pistol at the weary travelers inside.

"It's okay, I'm the baron of these acres, so this is all going to the state."

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

:agreed:

E; nvm. Misread as boulders.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

My NZ visa work visa cost about £150.

Plus £390 in having to use a certified healthcare provider here for an assessment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like there are reasons why you can't just dissolve the border entirely, not least because a lot of it is defined by the sea.

But there definitely isn't a reason to charge much at all for immigration paperwork, or anything, frankly, if you're already here.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jose posted:

extremely shocking that another tory refuses to help

https://twitter.com/HichamYezza/status/1162631919105978368

In the medium term this is strategically good for Labour - fighting to unite MPs to avoid No Deal but various other factions all going 'Stay back Mr Corbyn, Noooo....' mean they're dynamiting the chance of stopping it not Corbyn or Labour as a whole. They are sapping the Lib Dem rhetoric around Remain while exposing them as the shits they are without actually having to make statements about cancelling Brexit which would piss off Leavers and it's insanely obvious that come the GE you're either voting Labour for a Labour government or any other party (except SNP I guess) for a Tory one.

All in all if the obvious costs of No Deal weren't so bad and any gains still so uncertain, I'd be extremely optimistic about how things are going.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Whilst we have borders, theres a difference between inside the borders and outside. So no its not the same logic.
Your argument was that it was fine because it was the state doing it, you didn't even mention borders. Which by your own admission, we shouldn't actually have. So what, fleecing people wanting visas (which are based on the existence of borders) is fine, but the borders themselves are not?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Ratjaculation posted:

My NZ visa work visa cost about £150.

Plus £390 in having to use a certified healthcare provider here for an assessment.

It's about the same in France. One-year work visas are about 150€. Around 250€ for permanent residency.

No extra fees for immigrants to use public healthcare, either.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I moved into a flat on 1st July that is above a small pub. The landlord (who owns the whole property) emailed me at 11pm on Thursday to say that building work is starting on Monday on a new pub garden that will be right below my bedroom window. It will block off the back door that I use for deliveries and to take the rubbish out.

Having my useful rear access to the flat replaced by a noisy and smoky public space seems like a pretty major negative change for me as a tenant, but they are acting like it's good news and no big deal.

Shouldn't they have warned me? If they were planning it before I signed the contract (seems likely) did they mislead me by not telling me? I dunno if there's anything I can do.

What really annoys me is that the landlord keeps trying to spin it as positive news. She said that the garden will increase the commercial value of the pub (irrelevant to me) and that removing my rear access will "simplify the layout of the building" (!).

She also phrased it like they were just letting me know out of politeness when really I think they should have warned me ages ago.

Anyway I'm loving stressed about it so any advice welcome. My natural inclination is to roll over and take it so I need some righteous indignation to bolster my courage.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Your argument was that it was fine because it was the state doing it, you didn't even mention borders. Which by your own admission, we shouldn't actually have. So what, fleecing people wanting visas (which are based on the existence of borders) is fine, but the borders themselves are not?

I thought it was pretty clear what I was saying from the obvious context of it being concerning immigration, although I wouldn't really say it was my argument. If entry to the UK is a product people are willing to pay for and we're the ones reaping those rewards rather than a private company then in some circumstances I'm not really against it. I can do a car analogy about it if you like?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought it was pretty clear what I was saying from the obvious context of it being concerning immigration, although I wouldn't really say it was my argument. If entry to the UK is a product people are willing to pay for and we're the ones reaping those rewards rather than a private company then in some circumstances I'm not really against it. I can do a car analogy about it if you like?

"it's fine to rob immigrants if I'm the one benefiting" is quite a take.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

fuf posted:

I moved into a flat on 1st July that is above a small pub. The landlord (who owns the whole property) emailed me at 11pm on Thursday to say that building work is starting on Monday on a new pub garden that will be right below my bedroom window. It will block off the back door that I use for deliveries and to take the rubbish out.

Having my useful rear access to the flat replaced by a noisy and smoky public space seems like a pretty major negative change for me as a tenant, but they are acting like it's good news and no big deal.

Shouldn't they have warned me? If they were planning it before I signed the contract (seems likely) did they mislead me by not telling me? I dunno if there's anything I can do.

What really annoys me is that the landlord keeps trying to spin it as positive news. She said that the garden will increase the commercial value of the pub (irrelevant to me) and that removing my rear access will "simplify the layout of the building" (!).

She also phrased it like they were just letting me know out of politeness when really I think they should have warned me ages ago.

Anyway I'm loving stressed about it so any advice welcome. My natural inclination is to roll over and take it so I need some righteous indignation to bolster my courage.

It's worth checking the contract but you're probably SoL unfortunately.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

fuf posted:

They are changing the property you signed a tenancy on, and thus the conditions of their contract to you. If you want to leave you can tell them this and that you wish to end the contract as a result, they can't fine you.

You signed an agreement for a place with rear access, they've taken this away.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

fuf posted:

See if you can find out (not from them) about planning permission and gently caress them over if they don’t have any and need it.

Licensing board may also be interested if they haven’t gone the right way about it.

They’ve hosed you over so do it back (in an underhanded way that won’t lead back to you)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuf posted:

Does your contract mention anything explicitly about use of the rear entrance? Has the landlord said that post the works you will no longer have access rights through the back? They absolutely should have told you before.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Jo Swinson's voting record done to dramatic music

https://twitter.com/GuyLucasBhana/status/1162431469047963649

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Marmaduke! posted:

I guess they're the kinda guy who answers truthfully to American visa questions about having ever used illegal drugs.
I answered truthfully to the "have you ever committed a crime y/n" question when applying for a Canadian visa last year, on the basis of (accurate) goon advice that they wouldn't give a poo poo about minor drug offences decades ago.

Not just "have you ever been convicted of a crime" (but that was also on there), it actually asked if you've ever committed any crime. Still not 100% sure it wasn't on there to filter out obvious liars and the most boring people on the planet.

e:

fuf posted:

ALAB
Not aware of what the notice requirements are (best talk to CAB or Shelter, they'll know for sure), but yeah from a contractual viewpoint it doesn't sound like there's much doing (unless the contract specifically refers to access or something, which is unlikely). People sometimes manage to bring claims in misrepresentation where works were planned before the contract was formed, but your remedy there is that you'd get to rescind the contract, which is, uh, not ideal. You could potentially get some cash out of them for the cost of moving, but that would be a major hassle.

Seconding whoever said to check they've got the proper planning permission for it and shop them to the council if appropriate - all planning notices should be on your local council's web page. You should also be able to object to the planning application.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 17, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I have never committed a crime because I recognize no legal system outside of the original common law felonies minus buggery.

*engages boat mode*

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If entry to the UK is a product

It isn't though, is it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Borrovan posted:

I answered truthfully to the "have you ever committed a crime y/n" question when applying for a Canadian visa last year, on the basis of (accurate) goon advice that they wouldn't give a poo poo about minor drug offences decades ago.

Not just "have you ever been convicted of a crime" (but that was also on there), it actually asked if you've ever committed any crime. Still not 100% sure it wasn't on there to filter out obvious liars and the most boring people on the planet.
I'm not sure it's even really possible to go through life without doing some crimes occasionally. For starters, trespassing, petty theft, and various traffic laws seem like something you're almost bound to break as a kid. Add drug crimes, vandalism and (minor league) arson for slightly more adventurous kids.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

feedmegin posted:

It isn't though, is it.

I work in the entry to the UK factory on the assembly line and can assure you that it is in fact a product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm not sure it's even really possible to go through life without doing some crimes occasionally. For starters, trespassing, petty theft, and various traffic laws seem like something you're almost bound to break as a kid. Add drug crimes, vandalism and (minor league) arson for slightly more adventurous kids.

Have you ever committed a crime? (Y/N)

YES - I stole a lovely plastic toy from kindergarten when I was 4

--------------

APPLICATION DENIED