Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I always wonder how many people have been caught out by the US visa waiver question ARE YOU A NAZI WAR CRIMINAL Y/N?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

marktheando posted:

I always wonder how many people have been caught out by the US visa waiver question ARE YOU A NAZI WAR CRIMINAL Y/N?

Nazi war criminals dont have to file for a US visa.
Theyre already citizens

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It cost my wife and I close to £2500 for her to get a visa to come and live here. While we went through the process of applying for this, she was apart from me and our son for 9 months. I had to go into debt to pay for the visa. The fees are loving ridiculous and go up by large margins every single year. Now I get to look forward to paying another couple of grand in a couple more years for her first extension, and then a few more later on down the line for her indefinite leave to remain. By the time all's said and done, it'll be like 7 or 8 grand, so we can live together as a family. :shepspends:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Lol I'm in love with an American man

I can't move him to live with me here because I'm a poor

And now they're changing the laws so I won't be able to live with him there because I'm a poor

And also I'm too afraid to move away from the NHS

I am extremely owned

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Quote if you remember all the Tory leadership candidates talking about their various drug taking.

Quote even harder if you remember the Labour MP who the press harassed until she resigned because her son had taken drugs which was unacceptable.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Coming over here, stealing are visas.....

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks for the replies.

Ratjaculation posted:

They are changing the property you signed a tenancy on, and thus the conditions of their contract to you. If you want to leave you can tell them this and that you wish to end the contract as a result, they can't fine you.

You signed an agreement for a place with rear access, they've taken this away.

This is reassuring but I really don't want to have to move unless the noise gets unbearable.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

See if you can find out (not from them) about planning permission and gently caress them over if they don’t have any and need it.

Licensing board may also be interested if they haven’t gone the right way about it.

They’ve hosed you over so do it back (in an underhanded way that won’t lead back to you)

They applied for a "minor variation of premises license" which extends the license to include the rear of the property (where the garden will be). But no mention that they're actually going to build the garden and that it would block my rear access. There was a notice in the window of the pub but I never noticed until they mentioned it on the email. I managed to get a picture of it yesterday morning just before they took it down.

The deadline for public responses (in writing) was 16th August. Maybe I'm being paranoid but it doesn't seem like a coincidence that they informed me at 11pm on the 15th...

If I can find out when they made the application I can see if it was before I signed the contract (in which case they knew the property was going to change but didn't inform me...).

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Does your contract mention anything explicitly about use of the rear entrance? Has the landlord said that post the works you will no longer have access rights through the back? They absolutely should have told you before.

Nothing in the contract about the rear access unfortunately, it's just a very general tenancy agreement.

Yeah they've said the back door will be sealed off completely. I'll have to take my rubbish out of the front door and walk all the way around the outside of the building (it's a really busy street) to reach the bins.

Sounds like I would have a good case for voiding my contract if it comes to it, but I don't want to move unless I have to.

I am wondering if I might be able to push for a bit of a rent reduction, since my flat will be objectively worse off compared to when I agreed the contract. That would probably be the ideal outcome.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I doubt you'll get the rent reduction because landlord, best you can hope for is voiding the contract and moving elsewhere like ratty suggested.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

namesake posted:

Quote if you remember all the Tory leadership candidates talking about their various drug taking.

Quote even harder if you remember the Labour MP who the press harassed until she resigned because her son had taken drugs which was unacceptable.

just quoted so hard I had to grip the bath

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Pub garden chat:
Does blocking the rear access door also block an escape route in case of fire (whether for your flat or anyone else's?)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

fuf posted:

I am wondering if I might be able to push for a bit of a rent reduction, since my flat will be objectively worse off compared to when I agreed the contract. That would probably be the ideal outcome.
That sounds totally fair but in legal terms it's a bit of a stretch. To get that you'd need to demonstrate that they're in breach of contract, so if there's nothing in the contract expressly about access it'd be a tough sell.

If you feel like a scrap though, essentially your argument would be something like:
  • It was an express term of the contract that you would have use of the back door;
  • By sealing it off, the landlord is in breach of this term;
  • As a result of this breach, you have suffered damage in the form of loss of use and amenity;
  • Further, or in the alternative, it was an implied term of the contract that you would have the right to quiet use and enjoyment of your property;
  • By preventing your use of the back door and installing a noisy pub garden/smoking area directly underneath your window, the landlord is in breach of this term;
  • As a result of this breach, you have suffered damage in the form of distress and inconvenience;
  • You value these losses at £50 PCM for the duration of the tenancy.

This is all a bit legalistic and contentious, and honestly it's not a very strong case, so you might be better off just trying to negotiate it informally first, but hmu if you want a hand translating anything into scary-sounding-legalese. Also, always be aware of the danger that beefing with your landlord will often just result in them turfing you out at the first opportunity (so, again, consider just trying to resolve it amicably).

Disclaimer: I don't particularly know anything about the law of landlord and tenant, there might be some specific rules governing this - this is just my opinion in dry contractual terms.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Make the most of it, go down to the pub and hang around glaring at the owners. Might get a few free drinks from it.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Make the most of it, go down to the pub and hang around glaring at the owners. Might get a few free drinks from it.

In a bathrobe. Sweatpants beneath if you're modest. If they do food get to know the serving staff so you can call down your special breakfast and arrive down all bed-haired just as it's ready.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

namesake posted:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

:eyepop:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
When I am reminded of Littlejohn I always think of Viz's Littlecock parody of him.
Every time.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Hmm. Maybe there's something in common between UMUNNA (noted lack of Mr compared to the other two), and Kate Osamor. What could it be that they don't like. Hmmmmmmmm

e: vvv gently caress, owned

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 17, 2019

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

happyhippy posted:

When I am reminded of Littlejohn I always think of Viz's Littlecock parody of him.
Every time.

Well that is from Viz so

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Unkempt posted:

Well that is from Viz so

Poe's Law is the only just law

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

Depends on how you define caught out. The point of this kind of questions isn't so much to stop Nazi war criminals and such from entering the country as it is to provide a bulletproof reason to throw them out of the country if they're caught lying.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Unkempt posted:

Well that is from Viz so
When the parody is a little too close for comfort.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Theyre already cops

fixed

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Theyre already citizens

One man's nazi war criminal is another man's committed anti-communist, or possibly rocket scientist. But yeah doing operation paper clip and then putting that on your visa forms is pretty rich.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Depends on how you define caught out. The point of this kind of questions isn't so much to stop Nazi war criminals and such from entering the country as it is to provide a bulletproof reason to throw them out of the country if they're caught lying.

Yeah so I think "being a nazi war criminal" isn't necessarily like, a "bannable offense" or whatever, but lying on a visa application definitely is.

In other news, my friend's facebook post:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

One man's nazi war criminal is another man's committed anti-communist, or possibly rocket scientist. But yeah doing operation paper clip and then putting that on your visa forms is pretty rich.

It theoretically makes it easier to strip citizenship and deport if they “lied” on their immigration forms.

It’s what the Nazi hunting group at the Department of Justice used to deport a few concentration camp guards when that was still possible.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Were they bad at their jobs in the US?

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 17, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

WhatEvil posted:

Does nothing to dispel my idea that the Isle of Wight is caught in a timeloop from the 50s.

[e]: One of the worst ones I saw from someone linking fb poo poo was, "Actually Golliwogs aren't racist, the name derives from [crank folk etymology about an Arabic word meaning "Tanned soldier" or something, and were given to soldiers as presents from children]" so they just happen to resemble racist caricatures of Black people. But they're still not racist. Honest.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 17, 2019

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah so I think "being a nazi war criminal" isn't necessarily like, a "bannable offense" or whatever, but lying on a visa application definitely is.

I can remember when I was wee there being tokens on marmalade jars that you collected to get... one of those things. I brought this up last year with someone around the same age as me and I don't think he believed me. I'm sure I can remember it, though.

Every bloody Christmas without fail my ma gets a few sherries in her and talks about how she always wanted a darkie doll when she was wee but never got one. This was apparently just a doll with dark skin that was actually sold with that name :/

I once made the mistake of asking why exactly she wanted such a doll and this lead to her telling me she would have loved me to have been a little black boy. Still haven't made sense of that tbh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
yer ma called you too white

My aunt had a black doll and a white doll when she was small, but I don't recall them being called anything terrible.

I definitely remember the gollywog tokens on marmalade though, you could get racist pins, racist bags, racist stuffed monstrosities, all sorts.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Isle of Whites.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

crispix posted:

I can remember when I was wee there being tokens on marmalade jars that you collected to get... one of those things. I brought this up last year with someone around the same age as me and I don't think he believed me. I'm sure I can remember it, though.

aye that would have been the robertson's jam mascot called golly. he was only discontinued in like 2002.

http://www.golliwogg.co.uk/robertsons.htm

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My grandmother once affirmed to me that she had a gollywog when she was a kid and it didn't do her any harm, they weren't racist.

My grandmother also did not like indian doctors because "they have dirty hands".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Were they bad at their jobs in the US?
Reason for deportation:
Following complaints about the deportee's performance, an investigation into their background revealed that they had spent the entire war as a personal assistant to a mid-ranking Nazi officer in Denmark, and did not in fact have any experience guarding a labor camp.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuf posted:

Nothing in the contract about the rear access unfortunately, it's just a very general tenancy agreement.

Yeah they've said the back door will be sealed off completely. I'll have to take my rubbish out of the front door and walk all the way around the outside of the building (it's a really busy street) to reach the bins.

Everything that borrovan says really. Fighting with a landlord probably ultimately only goes one way and you have to be the sort of person that can handle being in like a siege mentality in your own time and space which is real loving difficult to do, especially if youve got partners/roomates or whoever to maintain relationships with too.

Its your back door though remember whilst youre renting it so if they are actually planning to block it up and remove it, theres an argument to say its a contravention of the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 since you are being denied use of your back door, which is "the premises or any party thereof".

You should be able to see all planning/change of use applications and stuff online, look up your local council and go to view current planning applications. Either use your postcode to find it or a planning reference number of the photo you took of the sign that was up. Although its worth using postcode to see any and all other applications to see if theyve been turned down for other stuff to make sure they arent trying to do something on the sly.

WhatEvil posted:

Lol I was too busy being triggered by the no entry sign stuck on top of the other sign to even notice the gollywogs.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 17, 2019

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

WhatEvil posted:

You see why I go on about hating going over there on Discord on a weekly basis

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

There is a golliwog jack in the box in my mums house that she refuses to get rid of, and no amount of persuasion will get rid of the loving thing.

The box does stay closed at least.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1162747484894105600?s=20

Far right thugs attacking left-wing journalists now.

Cool, cool.

E: I mean there's nothing to definitively say that they were far right but come on.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1162747484894105600?s=20

Far right thugs attacking left-wing journalists now.

Cool, cool.

let's play "how far down the replies before someone accuses him of staging it himself for attention"

actually, let's loving not

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Julio Cruz posted:

let's play "how far down the replies before someone accuses him of staging it himself for attention"

First post, he says without looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

The replies are overwhelmingly supportive. Very few shitstains.