Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Various Meat Products posted:

What's the coolest place to invade as Haesteinn? I just started a game with the intention of taking Egypt and becoming Coptic but Egypt is too big to be the target of a prepared invasion :mad:

I've never seen something specifically too big to be the target of an invasion. Are you sure it isn't just too far? I've seen some playthroughs where someone takes a county in Sardinia or something so that they can bring their actual prepared invasion target into range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

If you are playing as a pagan, look to the horse lords for sons and relatives to Khagans. They are willing to matrimarry. if you are a count or petty king, thats a lot of prestige for marrying into that line. Also look for 'Willing to join court" for people to marry your daughters and sisters off too. Invite to court, Martrimarry, then let them have kids or give lands.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

No Pants posted:

I've never seen something specifically too big to be the target of an invasion. Are you sure it isn't just too far? I've seen some playthroughs where someone takes a county in Sardinia or something so that they can bring their actual prepared invasion target into range.

There is a minimum of 9? counties and a maximum of something like 40 in the target kingdom.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i just created the kingdom of vladimir as a tribal pagan in 777. how do i know which two duchies i should hold on to as i distribute the rest?? is there somewhere that tells me the benefits of holding a duchy title ??

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

oddium posted:

i just created the kingdom of vladimir as a tribal pagan in 777. how do i know which two duchies i should hold on to as i distribute the rest?? is there somewhere that tells me the benefits of holding a duchy title ??

In general you can hold the biggest (most counties), or ones with good counties (most holdings). Maybe one has coastal counties you want for shipping, or one's on the silk road. Mechanically they're generally all the same otherwise.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Tribal duchies you want as many open holding slots as you can get in the duchy itself. With your Capital as the biggest one. Each open holding besides the tribe itself gives bonus levy and retinue size to anything built in the tribe. Capital duchy gives a bonus, Capital county gives a large bonus. When looking at the titles themselves, click the de-jure button in the title menu. Click the title shield to see the title claims, history, and de-jure territory. you want to hold all the counties in the territory, and you want those counties to be fat with holding slots. An excellent Duchy used to be Holstein, in northern Saxony. 4 counties, with 20 holding slots. Its been broken up some, but look for things like that for tribal land value for Duchies to hold. Proximity to your capital is important as well. It does you no good to hold land so far from your capital that the war is lost before your men can get there to protect you from the peasant rebellion.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

binge crotching posted:

There is a minimum of 9? counties and a maximum of something like 40 in the target kingdom.

Oh, so it's 50 holdings in the de jure kingdom. Well, if Egypt has at least nine holdings in a different de jure kingdom, you could target that one and take Egypt through occupation. :shobon:

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Tippis posted:

As an addendum (as opposed to a response) to this, the “invite” buttons are there for you to keep holdings in your dynasty. Pretty much any other use of them is Wrong™.

Inevitably, your dynasty tree will start to fill out with unlandable relatives — most commonly daughters, but that depends on the rules and culture, obviously. While they can often be sent off to forge non-aggression treaties or alliances, that only works if they're notable to begin with and you'll quickly run out of those. You still want to keep the rest around, however, because they can produce more dynasty members and contribute to your prestige in many new and interesting ways.

In addition, if you've played the breeding game right, those seemingly useless relatives may sit on pretty nice stats and traits that you want to preserve for the future. If you don't do it, you can be sure that the AI relatives will just sell them off or let them die out, or have them inbreed like lab mice making all that work be for nothing, because the AI simply does not understand how to use matrilineal marriages to its advantage.

So the way the use the invite buttons (specifically the “invite noble” in this case, because the standard agnatic or agnatic-cognatic feudal setup is assumed for familiarity's sake) is this:

• Find some nice piece of land that you want to keep in the family.
• Find some nice piece of family that you want to… well… keep in the family.
• Invite a noble and set up a matrilineal betrothal or marriage with the family member you want to keep around.
• Once accepted, hand off the land to the newly-spawned noble.

A few years down the line, you'll have a dynastic heir to the bit of land, and even more useless relatives that you can repeat the process with. Note the order here: first marriage, then land, otherwise the newly-minted baron (or whatever) will think themselves too good for the useless relative in general, and too good for matrilineal marriages in particular, so they'll just refuse and now you have only managed to introduce a useless noble on top of your useless relative.

ive never understood why people pay money for courtiers when the character finder is full of unlanded schmucks available for free

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Any tips for starting in Spain as the King of Asturias in the 867 start?

I've been running into a bit of a wall with the Amuyyad. Despite constantly being at war, they seem to be getting MORE troops instead of less (partly because of basically being able to just payroll a mercenary band forever), their decadence seems to be at a permanent 0 (because of "events" and sieges, apparently?), and the catholics under them aren't revolting nearly often enough.

I managed to get two counties by hitting them at the same time as the kingdom of italy, but.... how do I actually break them up?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Marry off your dynasty members to get alliances, repeatedly stab the head of their empire until a kid is in charge then go to war with your allies helping and if you beat up their army their troop count dropping should trigger all the vassals to think they have a shot at fulfilling their faction desire and rebel.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Come back to this game with those last DLC HB offered and one of the earliest things I notice is my sister just beating the fertility hardcap.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Saros posted:

Marry off your dynasty members to get alliances, repeatedly stab the head of their empire until a kid is in charge then go to war with your allies helping and if you beat up their army their troop count dropping should trigger all the vassals to think they have a shot at fulfilling their faction desire and rebel.

Thing is, I've been trying to do exactly that. None of the strong folk except for the byzantines want an alliance due to political reasons, and they already have a kid as sultan at the start. I've been doing my level best to beat their army into the ground but their troop count keeps staying the same, possibly because of mercs. In fact, they keep having more than they started with (roughly 6.8k, now they consistently have 7.8k or more)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Are you preparing Reconquistas for extra event troops?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Been saving up the money to do so. Some other reconquista also fired and mostly failed horribly.

How many troops can I expect to get out of that?

There's a good 3k difference atm.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 17, 2019

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Never mind, had a max troop reconquista declaration, lost anyway because they can apparently pull infinite mercenaries out of their rear end ._.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What is Retinue?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

What is Retinue?

Retinues are troops that stay standing all the time with a lil maintenance fee and a large cost when they have to rebuild themselves from an rear end kicking. You find them in the left tab on the military screen where you raise all your levies. They're pretty great because hell it's troops above and beyond your levies and plus you can tailor their troop composition to what you want. Each culture has its own retinue too and some of them are pretty good. But it can suck if they get decimated and suddenly start drinking huge amounts of money replenishing. They're really good for merchant republics in particular since they have the money firehose, and for nomads they're pretty much everything in the form of hordes.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ive never understood why people pay money for courtiers when the character finder is full of unlanded schmucks available for free

Ever so slightly more work, and they occasionally come with unwanted baggage that you have to filter out. That's like… 5% more effort! :D

Also, unless you invite them to your court (which takes time that you might not want to spend for various reas ), you don't have the direct control and access to them that lets you do the marriage/betrothal match-ups needed to keep it all in the family. Sitting around with a -250 opinion penalty because you're not handing out stuff quickly enough is less than optimal, especially if your council is allowed to vote on title grants — when it needs to happen before they notice that something's up, waiting around fro hapless lowlifes to trickle in can be deadly.

Those unlanded schmucks may not cost any money, but they''re not free, and it comes down to what payment method you can afford at the moment.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 17, 2019

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Doesn't invite guarantee they'll be of your culture/religion? Or am I wrong there

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Wezlar posted:

Doesn't invite guarantee they'll be of your culture/religion? Or am I wrong there

Yep.

I've used invite for matrimarriages occasionally. Not often, but there's been a couple times where everybody I saw in the character finder that wasn't total garbage wasn't willing to move to my court and it was cheaper to use invite than buy a favor. Oh and the invite holy man is useful for groups that can't seek physicians, like nomads and tribals.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 17, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Don't you pretty much need to burn piety on the invite buttons if you've gotten free investiture? There's a limit to the amount of losers in your court you're willing to hand a church.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Don't you pretty much need to burn piety on the invite buttons if you've gotten free investiture? There's a limit to the amount of losers in your court you're willing to hand a church.

Depends on how big your realm is and how fast you can crank out failsons

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

so i reformed hellenism with temporal, and when my guy died the title went to the wrong person with seemingly no way to get it back, what gives? it ruined my byzantium endgame

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly when it comes to free investiture and nominating bishops I'll pick whichever schmuck has the highest learning at the time and not give a single poo poo more than that. To me the main bonus with free investiture is that your bishops tend to like you enough to pay you taxes instead of the pope. Beyond that I don't care what they do.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

With free investiture I mostly just nominate bishops to knock them out of lines of succession. Anything more feels like micromanagement on the level of making sure your mayors are married.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dang as a former tribal and now feudal i gotta build castles in all my tribal vassals' capitals to lift them up ??

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

They'll do it themselves. Eventually.

In general I'd advise to never, ever build in your vassal's provinces. It's expensive and they're just going to use it against you later, anyway.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

oddium posted:

dang as a former tribal and now feudal i gotta build castles in all my tribal vassals' capitals to lift them up ??

They'll do it themselves if you give them time. Also you'd be directly empowering your vassals if you did that, which is generally inadvisable because your vassals are constantly trying to figure out how to gently caress you over.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Davincie posted:

so i reformed hellenism with temporal, and when my guy died the title went to the wrong person with seemingly no way to get it back, what gives? it ruined my byzantium endgame

Don't reform Hellenism with temporal if you play a Byzantine/Roman Empire game. Imperial elective doesn't play nice with a king level religious head title. You are forced to make sure your eldest son inherits the empire, otherwise your two titles will split.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

At what time do you guys start putting money into buildings? Do you wait until your money pool is big enough to have rolling wars when you want them, or do you invest early to create more vassals/taxes?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you've got a comfortable buffer for mercenaries or claims or whatever, and you've got cash to burn, put it into something.

Yami Fenrir posted:

They'll do it themselves. Eventually.

In general I'd advise to never, ever build in your vassal's provinces. It's expensive and they're just going to use it against you later, anyway.

I like to think of exceptions to rules, and all I can think of here is if you want to choke off viking river invasions, you need to build up the fort level around a river.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

If you are a tribal that changed to feudalism, upgrading the Earth, Wood, Stone Hillforts in your vassals capitals can be a good idea, just to give them that kick in the butt to swap out of tribalism and start earning more money and getting better soldiers. beyond that, you should be rolling your money into upgrading your own personal holdings as high as possible. Ideally, a Capital county with 5 castles, then the county castles in your capital duchy. Thats usually a demesne of about 7-8 so more than that takes laws and traditions, as well as good stewardship. Holding slots in counties not your capital, fill with cities. They pay high taxes and you should have been reforming the law in such a way to always be increasing city taxes. If you dont respect your vassals, and you shouldnt, fill their holding slots with cities as well, and keep the mayors as your vassals for even more income. You can have infinite Barons, Bishops, and Mayors under you. Only Counts and higher count toward vassal limit.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like to think of exceptions to rules, and all I can think of here is if you want to choke off viking river invasions, you need to build up the fort level around a river.

Tech buildings (that are otherwise very low priority for the AI) that let you build and upgrade hospitals to get a good buffer ring once the plague times come.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So I've got a revolt.

A bunch of randos declared on the revolt.

Have 100% warscore but can never end the war because swarms of enemies are constantly siegeing down random provinces...is there a quicker way to end the dumb war? Just playing whack-a-mole because there's 5+ enemies of my revolt.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

If you have 100% why can't you just enforce your demands?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Wrapping up my post regency realm clean-up culling ambitious dukes and poo poo. Right near the end of the war my queen lost her eye in a duel. This marks the third straight one-eyed monarch I'm playing. It's almost a tradition at this point.

Edit: third one-eyed adult monarch. I also got murdered during a regency.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

If you have 100% why can't you just enforce your demands?

It said couldn't enforce while like 4 randos held their territory. Eventually did it just kinda annoying.

One enemy was Poland who had a bunch of dudes, so couldn't split up to carpet siege.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Finally had a good last Karling game.

From Count of Vermandios to King of Lothringia and Holy Roman Emperor in just 105 years!

Used my dynasty's prestige to get a lot of good marriages and now there are Karling dukes and counts all over the map. :)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i ended up restarting my byzantium game due to the temporal issue

so ive reconquered jerusalem and antioch, but i can't get a patriarch in there, the portrait stays empty. google isn't telling my anything, anyone know why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Honky Dong Country posted:

Noticed something odd in Italy:

:stare:

Lol, during my Karling game Italy managed to become independent from the HRE and then maybe 20 or 30 years later an Orthodox mercanary company took over all but 2 provinces of it. Gotta pay those mercs.