Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So it looks like there's reporting already starting to trickle out that D&D are not going to be as involved in their Star Wars trilogy as originally plan.
A lot of it is saying they are hoping to write "at least one" along with a treatment for the trilogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So it looks like there's reporting already starting to trickle out that D&D are not going to be as involved in their Star Wars trilogy as originally plan.
A lot of it is saying they are hoping to write "at least one" along with a treatment for the trilogy

Maybe they can write the broad strokes of the story and George RR Martin can write the screenplay.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

lol are you idiots still talking about game of thrones

Zaphod42 posted:

The spinoff prequel is gonna be interesting. On the one hand, interest in GOT has completely cratered.

On the other hand,

there is this thread, the torchbearer of GOT obsession

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

haha get owned sellout bitches

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Just found this thread is still alive and well. The Watch has never ended for some crows.

I'm glad Season 8 went the way it did. The show was dying ever since maybe season 5? What was the first major action of questionable reasoning, maybe Little Finger handing Sansa to Ramsay for...? Or the Sand Snakes usurping an entire kingdom with 0 ramifications. Ramsay murdering his father has got to be up there as well. Brain worms infected the writing a long time ago. Season 8 was when mainstream people finally acknowledged the poo poo they were watching was actually poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

haha get owned sellout bitches

They just signed a huge deal with Netflix. Star Wars money is nothing compared to Netflix money. We'll finally be able to see them use their skills on an original story/premise instead of adapting it to some one else's work.

Fingers crossed it's a movie about what the world would be like if WW1 never ended! That would be super original!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

iamsosmrt posted:

Just found this thread is still alive and well. The Watch has never ended for some crows.

I'm glad Season 8 went the way it did. The show was dying ever since maybe season 5? What was the first major action of questionable reasoning, maybe Little Finger handing Sansa to Ramsay for...? Or the Sand Snakes usurping an entire kingdom with 0 ramifications. Ramsay murdering his father has got to be up there as well. Brain worms infected the writing a long time ago. Season 8 was when mainstream people finally acknowledged the poo poo they were watching was actually poo poo.

I think the tipping point where I couldn't fool myself anymore was Arya turning into a smug rear end in a top hat the moment she decides to run from Braavos. That was such a whiplash character change, I at first thought it wasn't Arya anymore.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

Replacing Jeyne Westerling with Talisa and changing Robbs motivation to "but true love!". Also the bit in the red wedding where instead of Rains of Castamere being a signal for the attack, it was just a dude on the violin being creepy and nobody really reacts.

Those were sort of the early cracks that show the writer's didn't have a decent grasp on the material any more, and were just aiming for cool and dramatic, gently caress coherency.

Also Yara and her 20 good men running away from a shirtless Ramsay.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Replacing Jeyne Westerling with Talisa and changing Robbs motivation to "but true love!". Also the bit in the red wedding where instead of Rains of Castamere being a signal for the attack, it was just a dude on the violin being creepy and nobody really reacts.

Those were sort of the early cracks that show the writer's didn't have a decent grasp on the material any more, and were just aiming for cool and dramatic, gently caress coherency.

Also Yara and her 20 good men running away from a shirtless Ramsay.
I’ll take the Yara criticism but fuckin lol if you’re gonna say they didn’t execute Red Wedding to perfection

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Vegetable posted:

I’ll take the Yara criticism but fuckin lol if you’re gonna say they didn’t execute Red Wedding to perfection

Outside those exact 5 seconds, flawlessly.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Yara Canoe Attack that ends with everyone just jumping back into the canoes in orderly fashion is definitely the first "wtf was that poo poo" moment in GoT, and predictably, it doesn't happen in the books. All the way back in season 4, the last overall great season.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Binary Logic posted:

Jorah was the best fighter in the entire series; of course it would take more than a few Dothraki horsemen to defeat him.
It had been set up earlier in the show, and was no more improbable than Sandor Clegan, John MacClane, John Wick, Ethan Hunt, James Bond, Jason Bourne etc etc surviving every battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80KwlfqfRWk

I'm talking about when they went to fight the white walkers. He should be dead. It doesn't matter if you're loving Arthur Dayne we're talking about being outnumbered 1:100000

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"This fantasy isn't realistic".

He wouldn't be much of a hero if he could be defeated by a bunch of mindless undead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B_1IMstVzs

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 17, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Binary Logic posted:

"This fantasy isn't realistic".

Eternally a really bad take, because your story should always be internally consistent. You can have dragons but they should do the same things. If one episode dragons are super dangerous and the next they're not... its bad.

Binary Logic posted:

He wouldn't be much of a hero if he could be defeated by a bunch of mindless undead.

This is super wrong as well. Heroes die in war all the time over stupid poo poo. Because life isn't romanticized. The real world doesn't care how popular you are, it will kill you with complete indifference.

Ser Barristan got beaten by like 3 stupid rich kids. Jorah isn't half the fighter Barristan is. Acting like Jorah should be able to fight off 100,000 white walkers by himself is just silly and robs the whole battle of its weight and stakes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's also dumb because they had the dothraki charge solely for the cool shot of the fire scythes winking out. didn't make a lot of sense in the story.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's also dumb because they had the dothraki charge solely for the cool shot of the fire scythes winking out. didn't make a lot of sense in the story.

Also, exactly half of them apparently just dropped their weapons and ran away, which kinda robs the moment of a lot of pathos in retrospect.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Exactly.

"Jorah rides out with the dothraki, they all die."

Oh snap

"Then Jorah returns alive"

Wait what?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Exactly.

"Jorah rides out with the dothraki, they all die."

Oh snap

"Then Jorah returns alive"

Wait what?

Would have been 100 times cooler if he rode back with bright blue eyes leading the dead Dothraki back at them. Would have set a tone that anyone could have died in that battle early and showed how hopeless the fight was most likely going to be.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

This couldn't have worked out any better for GRRM. If he ever finishes the books (loooooooooool) they will be bought by pretty much everyone just so they can get a satisfying ending.

As a book reader I'm content never buying or reading anything from Martin ever again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Would have been 100 times cooler if he rode back with bright blue eyes leading the dead Dothraki back at them. Would have set a tone that anyone could have died in that battle early and showed how hopeless the fight was most likely going to be.

oh poo poo

yeah that'd be cool

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Fantastic reference:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The Yara Canoe Attack that ends with everyone just jumping back into the canoes in orderly fashion is definitely the first "wtf was that poo poo" moment in GoT, and predictably, it doesn't happen in the books. All the way back in season 4, the last overall great season.

I remember that causing a minor joke that the Ironborn were the best at fighting at sea, but comically terrible at fighting in any other situation. I think that remains true the rest of the series.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I just read a comment saying that the best that came out of GoT is that now the average person knows what happens when the anime catches up with the manga :lol:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
The best showrunners are the ones who don't want to run it in the first place.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Preston's rewrite is up to Episode 5 and it owns so much.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Preston's rewrite is up to Episode 5 and it owns so much.

how ironically?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Its Coke posted:

how ironically?

Unironically. Dude has rewritten the season to be superior in every way. I'm looking forward to his final episode way more than I was the actual final episode.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Does Varys still die? That’s something that feels like it needed a fix in at least how it happens.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

he's going to last until the last fictional episode and with a much more believable reason for favoring jon vs. daenerys, and they make daenerys's insanity a slow burn.
All the characters have better more believable reasons for doing things. And he bangs them out in half an hour so there's plenty of time to admire the costuming as people walk into or out of places to talk.

I am going to be honest I saw these preston jacobs how I"d fix everything and rolled my eyes but after the post three up from here i gave in and they're very thoughtful.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The only big plot hole I see is Danerys southern forces apparently joining the defense of Kings Landing. You'd think she'd be able to get a raven over to them. It's not like OPSEC is a thing when there's nothing Cersei can do about it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Hey remember when Theon Greyjoy used his power of no balls to win a fight? I just keep thinking about that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If the Night's King had learned the right lesson from Theon, then Arya wouldn't have been able to stab him in the dick to death.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Another one of this. May the wounds never run out of salt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K0KaEYX41c

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kater posted:

Hey remember when Theon Greyjoy used his power of no balls to win a fight? I just keep thinking about that.

Ironborn: well I guess now we have to follow him, hoorayyy

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Well Dinklage won the best supporting actor Emmy again and GoT won the best drama as expected but good news as DnD missed out on the best writing and best directing Emmys. So there still exists some justice in the world.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Just Chamber posted:

GoT won the best drama as expected

i didn't expect them to win over the best show on tv.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

Well Dinklage won the best supporting actor Emmy again and GoT won the best drama as expected but good news as DnD missed out on the best writing and best directing Emmys. So there still exists some justice in the world.

The North remembers. And good loving riddance. Here's to seven and a half seasons of a really great TV show.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Groovelord Neato posted:

i didn't expect them to win over the best show on tv.

Better Call Saul?

And yeah it didn't deserve to win, but I guess it was the favorite due to it being its final season. There were much better shows nominated that's for sure.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah better call saul is far and away the best show on tv and it losing out to the worst season of a show that hasn't put out a good season since 2014 is a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Solice Kirsk posted:

They just signed a huge deal with Netflix. Star Wars money is nothing compared to Netflix money. We'll finally be able to see them use their skills on an original story/premise instead of adapting it to some one else's work.

I'd like to see them produce an adaption of Beniof's City of Thieves, which is about Leningrad during the WW2 siege.