Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

let's play "how far down the replies before someone accuses him of staging it himself for attention"

actually, let's loving not

So far replies are OK, but it's only a matter of time.

Personally I'm wondering when the first "but milkshakes" is going to come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Scrolled through all the replies. There was one who posted a gif of somebody yawning, and another with somebody posting the crying-laughing emoji 4 times, other than that they're all supportive, including one from Diane Abbott.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

WhatEvil posted:

Scrolled through all the replies. There was one who posted a gif of somebody yawning, and another with somebody posting the crying-laughing emoji 4 times, other than that they're all supportive, including one from Diane Abbott.

Old people for some reason seem to think the crying-laughing emojicon-smiley is just crying, though :/

It's possible it was well intentioned.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

Old people for some reason seem to think the crying-laughing emojicon-smiley is just crying, though :/

It's possible it was well intentioned.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

I once made the mistake of asking why exactly she wanted such a doll and this lead to her telling me she would have loved me to have been a little black boy. Still haven't made sense of that tbh.

I mean there was a way she could have achieved that if she'd wanted tbh

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gosh. That's magical.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a trend.

mam's dead lol lol lol

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

forkboy84 posted:

Gosh. That's magical.

Not for Shane it wasn't

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I mean there was a way she could have achieved that if she'd wanted tbh

Maybe the problem is that she tried that and it didn't work.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

WhatEvil posted:

Frankie Boyle... Good?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It's a trend.
Always king of the bantz, he's only gone and outdone himself and went and died didn't he, proper lejj 😂😂

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

It's a trend.

mam's dead lol lol lol

Suspicious of this one. They've both misused it and yet one of them took a screenshot of the conversation?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ratjaculation posted:

Frankie Boyle... Good?

idgi

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Suspicious of this one. They've both misused it and yet one of them took a screenshot of the conversation?
I think the screenshotter (green) is knowingly misusing it. 😹

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

He was one of the replies wishing Jones well when I just checked

E:

Always assumed he was a bit of a contrived knob

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 17, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

While he's mostly on the right side politically, he's kind of an abrasive jerk who's crossed the wrong lines a fair few times. I can see why someone might be surprised by him showing a bit of kindness and empathy.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

It's a trend.

mam's dead lol lol lol

Didn't Hameron use lol as lots of love In a tweet once

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

yer ma called you too white

My aunt had a black doll and a white doll when she was small, but I don't recall them being called anything terrible.

I definitely remember the gollywog tokens on marmalade though, you could get racist pins, racist bags, racist stuffed monstrosities, all sorts.

We used to have those. I remember the little badges and also little plaster statues around 3" high. My nan used to get them for us in the 60s. My aunt was married to a Jamaican guy. I honestly don't think nan gave it a second's thought that it might be racist. Mind you in those days we had The Black & White Minstrel Show on TV - just googled that and it didn't stop til 1978 by which time I was off to Uni!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

crispix posted:

Old people can't feel or recognize joy.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ratjaculation posted:

He was one of the replies wishing Jones well when I just checked

Always assumed he was a bit of a contrived knob

Ah, he blocked me a while back so I didn't see it. He is a bit of a contrived knob IMO but he's still better in a lot of ways than a lot of 'slebs, and obviously capable of basic humanity (but I repeat myself).

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Lol what do you guys tweet to get blocked by a dude who makes a living off being needlessly offensive

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

While he's mostly on the right side politically, he's kind of an abrasive jerk who's crossed the wrong lines a fair few times. I can see why someone might be surprised by him showing a bit of kindness and empathy.
On his BBC 2 show he did turn on Corbyn a few times and even piled in on the antisemitism accusations around the time he had David Baddiel on, so I suspect he was probably listening to wronguns for a while.

He's generally on the right side, even if his anger misfires sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyFZX39joSM

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ratjaculation posted:

Lol what do you guys tweet to get blocked by a dude who makes a living off being needlessly offensive

Ah he posted something complaining about "woke people" and I replied with something saying that we should be encouraging people to be interested in politics and he blocked me. It was just a bit lame and wtf to be honest.

E: I think Darth Walrus' summary of him is fair. He's been critical of the Corbyn from time to time, but critical of the Tories more often. He's not some totally awful centrist like Robert Webb, or a right-winger but he's also not a "solid leftist comrade" or whatever.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 17, 2019

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We used to have those. I remember the little badges and also little plaster statues around 3" high. My nan used to get them for us in the 60s. My aunt was married to a Jamaican guy. I honestly don't think nan gave it a second's thought that it might be racist. Mind you in those days we had The Black & White Minstrel Show on TV - just googled that and it didn't stop til 1978 by which time I was off to Uni!

My nan would steam off labels for the tokens thinking it was like the smoking tokens you used to get in packs of Regal.
For things you could then get from a catalog. I think she ditched them when she found out they were worthless.
Still kept collecting the cigarette ones though.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
"He's a knob, it's just that he's better than literal Hitler" is such a 2019 thing to say

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

My nan would steam off labels for the tokens thinking it was like the smoking tokens you used to get in packs of Regal.
For things you could then get from a catalog. I think she ditched them when she found out they were worthless.
Still kept collecting the cigarette ones though.

I'll bet she kicked off. Old people take coupons/tokens extremely seriously in my experience. What on earth did one get for collecting feg packet tokens, though?

Besides respiratory problems, i mean

crispix fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 17, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pochoclo posted:

"He's a knob, it's just that he's better than literal Hitler" is such a 2019 thing to say
People can be flawed while still being overall good OP, this is not a binary choice.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah basically. What I was saying is I reckon on the "UKMT approved celebrities rating system" he's at about a B or B-.

E:

Rob Delaney is an A*

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1162770469180907521?s=20

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 17, 2019

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

What on earth did one get for collecting feg packet tokens, though?

Ah they actually had their own catalogs with a whole range of poo poo in them.

Google 'Embassy Cigarettes coupon gift catalogue' and you will see links to them, cant find any pics of inside here.
I think an uncle managed to get a lovely jacket from the coupons, but that took saving up a poo poo ton of them.
They were a joke though, you needed like tens of thousands of them for high end stuff. And you got like 1 per packet.
They were the adult version of carnival amusement tickets.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Posting this inside my own tweet because tweets show the article preview:

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1162568831346388993?s=20

Bozo has edited his first PM speech to remove his first broken promise: That work would start "this week" with 20 new hospital upgrades.

So apparently our hospital was going to get two new operating theatres for free. We just had to have them built and up and running in two weeks time for Boris to cut the ribbon.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/17/dominic-grieve-pm-boris-johnson-rhetoric-led-directly-to-death-threats

quote:

Grieve, who revealed an arrest had recently been made in respect of a death threat against him, told the BBC’s Good Morning Scotland programme: “I want to save the Tory party from the likes of Mr Johnson – he’s hijacking it and taking it in directions which I find extremely worrying.

“I don’t like the rhetoric, after all, the rhetoric leads straightforwardly to the death threats which I receive.

“And this seems to me that the language he’s using is not that of what I would expect of a Conservative prime minister.

And yet he'd still take that over a temporary Corbyn government. gently caress's sake.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Ratjaculation posted:

Didn't Hameron use lol as lots of love In a tweet once
It was in a text (to Rebekah Brooks iirc)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Going to hold a referendum lol 😂

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Borrovan posted:

It was in a text (to Rebekah Brooks iirc)

Jesus, that is significantly more worrying.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/Pom_42/status/1162087439839707138

Big fan of the ratio on this turd

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brief, yes. Followed by a swift departure off a cliff.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I agree, let’s get tiny Blair back into politics (so he can stand trial for war crimes).

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CarolineVoaden/status/1162778146799783936?s=19

This is what a room of pure fubpee looks like. I'm getting cold sweats just looking at it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Computer, is there anything whiter than Spectralon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Looking at that tweet sparks some kind of deep, chthonic desire within me for a Brexit so hard and raw that we place nuclear mines across the Channel, and along the Irish border.