Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
nobody bought anything, they just gave ethan money because theres no product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1162167665592602625

Basically the same thing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

:dunkedon:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1162244478616293376

This seems like some sort of very bizarre Hail Mary.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There's someone downthread from that making the analogy that what they're doing is blowing the due date on a term paper, applying for and getting an extension, blowing that, and then protesting in front of the dean's office that term papers in general are a fascist construct that need to be abolished.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Oof.

When I got into buying comics, my FLCS guy, whose a pretty chill dude, once warned me that the comic I was buying was a not a first printing. On one hand, that is completely far as that matters to some customers and it was very nice of him to inform me. On the other hand, I respectfully let him know that I don't consider such things with my purchasing decisions, though I am glad that he was considering such things as that shows he's a courteous seller. What I'm saying is, I would advise nobody to get into comic books with an "investment" mindset. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but "oof." I got a roth 401k, a roth IRA, a HSA, and, when I make more money, would consider some other brokerage investments once I can max out my annual contributions to the former. I ain't buying Superman to make a mint.

At least this happened to some bigot rear end in a top hat, though, so I don't got to feel bad for the jerk.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1162432602994819078?s=20

Come on now

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1162244478616293376

This seems like some sort of very bizarre Hail Mary.

Its almost like he's a bad lawyer.
https://twitter.com/TheBrownFolder/status/1162452325950271489?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

What the gently caress? did they all go to law school in loving England or something? I knew they were terrible lawyers because a good lawyer wouldn't have taken the case, but holy loving poo poo are they terrible lawyers. Probably the biggest difference between the US and other western democracies is the first amendment and the protections it gives (also the second amendment, but this isn't the thread for that debate).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Have I ever mentioned sometimes I am genuinely not sure whether Beard is doing shtick or is genuinely that dumb?

Because sometimes etc.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I've swung back that he is in fact very dumb. He's going to get blowed up and he really doesn't see it coming.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Wolven/status/1162420867990786049

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/ashleylynch/status/1162647927421976577

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How can someone be that stupid.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Rhyno posted:

"INCLUDING AN AFRICAN AMERICAN CHARACTER MAKES IT WOKE!!!"

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You know just the other day I was pointing out that Rorschach was an unpleasant racist Necon Psychopath who smells funny and hates women to somebody on YouTube.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

They're dishonest, not dumb. I mean they probably are dumb too, but they're lying.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The profit of outrage. Most of the people who have watched that video and agree with it have never read the comic.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

David D. Davidson posted:

You know just the other day I was pointing out that Rorschach was an unpleasant racist Necon Psychopath who smells funny and hates women to somebody on YouTube.

...who, nonetheless, is the only character who's willing to stand up and object to killing millions 'for the greater good'.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Angry Salami posted:

...who, nonetheless, is the only character who's willing to stand up and object to killing millions 'for the greater good'.

It was already done, he objected to keeping it a secret and thereby making it a more or less meaningless act,.

:goonsay:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, everyone wanted to stop Ozymandias once they realized what he was up to, Rorschach's just the only one who thinks exposing him (and doing so without delay) is a good idea even after his horrible actions create world peace.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Speaking of far-right assholes, Marvel killed an intro by Art Spiegelman because Perlmutter's feefees were hurt over the child of a Holocaust survivor calling Trump what he is.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/aug/17/art-spiegelman-golden-age-superheroes-were-shaped-by-the-rise-of-fascism

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

That article has more errors and bullshit than a stockyard run by a dyslexic.

EDIT: This article gives the basic facts.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 18, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Isn't that Guardian article that's "full of errors" literally the primary source; it's written by Art and contains the entirety of his pulled intro, albeit modified to be an article instead of a foreword.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gynovore posted:

That article has more errors and bullshit than a stockyard run by a dyslexic.

EDIT: This article gives the basic facts.

1) The Guardian article is... the article. That's Spiegelman's article. That's the article Art Spiegelman wrote.
2) "more errors and bullshit than a stockyard run by a dyslexic" please miss this thread with the incoherent ableism

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Archyduchess posted:

1) The Guardian article is... the article. That's Spiegelman's article. That's the article Art Spiegelman wrote.
2) "more errors and bullshit than a stockyard run by a dyslexic" please miss this thread with the incoherent ableism

I admit that's ablist, I apologise. I was trying to think of something witty in a 15 second time frame.

Yes, that's Spiegleman's article, but it still has a lot of wrong, primarily the bit about Siegel and Shuster being "bilked" out of "rewards" for Superman. They were not. They sold the rights to Superman to Detective Comics for a very fair sum of money; $240, which is about $5000 in today's money, a staggering sum for two teenagers in the Depression.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

E the Shaggy posted:

"INCLUDING AN AFRICAN AMERICAN CHARACTER MAKES IT WOKE!!!"
*The complicity of white girls in structural racism/the poisoning of youth due to toxic racial prejudice is a subplot of the graphic novel*

THIS TV SHOW IS TOO INCLUSIVE!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That's a hill you want to die on, the equivalent of $5000 is proper compensation for creating the most famous comic book icon of all time, practically inventing an entire genre at the same time?

What the gently caress man?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gynovore posted:

I admit that's ablist, I apologise. I was trying to think of something witty in a 15 second time frame.

Yes, that's Spiegleman's article, but it still has a lot of wrong, primarily the bit about Siegel and Shuster being "bilked" out of "rewards" for Superman. They were not. They sold the rights to Superman to Detective Comics for a very fair sum of money; $240, which is about $5000 in today's money, a staggering sum for two teenagers in the Depression.

They were both in their 20's, they were not children when they sold the character.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I think Superman might be worth more than 5 grand

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
But you see they signed a contract fairly and legally, and without the publisher's capital would Superman even be a thing :thunk:
- a dweeb, somewhere online

And furthermore, their reward was enacted when they received payment for their creation. All subsequent expectation of profit is immoral.
- Steve Ditko from offstage, using the original pencils for the issue where Green Goblin appears as a cutting board.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 18, 2019

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Skwirl posted:

That's a hill you want to die on, the equivalent of $5000 is proper compensation for creating the most famous comic book icon of all time, practically inventing an entire genre at the same time?

What the gently caress man?

What would have happened if Siegel and Shuster had not sold the rights to DC? Superman would have been relegated to the bottom of the sock drawer and vanished.

A dude posted:

But you see they signed a contract fairly and legally, and without the publisher's capital would Superman even be a thing

Without sarcasm, this.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 18, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Uhhh didn't the duo famously have to go to the press when the first movie came out about how dc screwed them, which led to dc capitulating (because they did screw them) and giving them huge checks and credits on Superman books in perpetuity

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gynovore posted:

What would have happened if Siegel and Shuster had not sold the rights to DC? Superman would have been relegated to the bottom of the sock drawer and vanished.

Without sarcasm, this.
Seriously, just gently caress off with this bullshit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Uhhh didn't the duo famously have to go to the press when the first movie came out about how dc screwed them, which led to dc capitulating (because they did screw them) and giving them huge checks and credits on Superman books in perpetuity

Essentially. And don't forget about the lawsuit that lead to DC killing off Superboy for a few years.

DC did them very dirty.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Yeah, there was a poo poo ton of lawsuits about it that DC either lost or settled out of court, so clearly the first contract was not entirely on the up and up.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gynovore posted:

In today’s money, $5000 is a little less than half a years pay at the poverty line. Not insignificant but hardly life changing, and certainly near the amount for what is basically comic books, the character.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Skwirl posted:

Seriously, just gently caress off with this bullshit.

You know, now that I think about it, you're right. I went to Wikipedia and found out that Simon and Shuster spent most of their lives in near-poverty while DC made billions. Maybe DC was *technically* in the right, but they should have given S+S something more.

You were right and I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think beyond being wrong you're whole view on the situation was hosed up in the first place